Dj Starting Off - Your Top Tip ?

Mike

say you are having a brew with a younger soul fan who tells you that they are dj-ing the next weekend for the first time

what's the top tip that you would give them?

bearing in mind that you only have enough time for the one....

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Concentrate on the mechanics of putting the records on for the first couple and they'll ease into it no problem 

Social source share

to quote Johnny Beggs once again, 'get payed', lol. from my own point of veiw there are no dj's on the northern soul scene, just collectors, jumped up collectors and people with more money than sense.    

come on, threads just a knockabout thing about top tips 

been fun/enjoyable so far

lets try keep it sharp and quick yep ?  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Only dj where your tunes/style will suit the venue and enjoy cos after all if you don't enjoy yourself then will the crowd ....

Social source share

Get the flow right. Think about what'll sound good following on from the first record until the last and don't think you just need uptempo stuff constantly, a midtempo or even slowie can follow on nicely from something fast.

Edited by ElGeePee
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest penny

Find your own sound, and some records that aren't established yet.. The last few years have seen an explosion of djs who play 'hits of the last 10 years' sets. We dont need more like that.

Social source share

agree with the last comment, ( turn up early ) thats more the norm these days so as to avoid replication, which is the bain of a whole swathe of educated punters and,.....these wonderful millions of underplayed, undervalued, underappreciated cheapies area great place to start...try to get an edge.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest penny

Ask yourself 'why?'. Why be a dj? What are you bringing to the table, what are you adding? This is the fundamental question. If you are adding something and can describe what that is, then go for it. If you can't, just dont bother. You might enjoy playing other djs records in a different order but it's not all about you:-))

Social source share

to quote Johnny Beggs once again, 'get payed', lol. from my own point of veiw there are no dj's on the northern soul scene, just collectors, jumped up collectors and people with more money than sense.    

OOHH!! Get you. :lol:

Social source share

Turn up early so you know whats being played and what has been played!!!!!!

Absolutely.....but if you feel you need to do that to often, try thinking a bit more about offering something else from your collection.

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

5?  :ohmy:  :D

did you miss the bit about  "the only have time for one tip  :rofl:

idea was more of a knockabout no fuss post and forget type thread than anything else  :thumbsup:

I forgot to ask Mike - what brew are we drinking with said young soon to become DJ?

Peter

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Be influenced by other D.J’s by all means, but don’t tread on any toes - A fine line to tread. Maybe ‘tip your cap’ to someone that has done so on the mike (It kinda gives you licence to ‘play with pride’)

Ooops, you said ‘Tip’ not ‘Tips’ Mike! :lol:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

5?  :ohmy:  :D

did you miss the bit about  "the only have time for one tip"   :rofl:

idea was/is more of a knockabout no fuss post and forget type thread than anything else  :thumbsup:

Doh!!! :lol: 

Sorry......

Social source share

...S*d it, I've started now - Last one I promise (You wanna see the past thread about promoting, god I went on a bit....... :D)

Anyway.....Never 'develop a swagger' - You didn't sing the blo*dy tunes :excl: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!