Are These Weasel Tactics......?

I thought long and hard before printing this but “publish and be damned”, here goes:

Last week I had a record up for auction on ebay, the eventual winner didn’t end up paying so I informed e bay (as not to incur the sellers fee), No problem, shit happens,move on!

So I decided to re-list the record as a buy it now so no one will end up bidding more than they should and end up having second thoughts, they can just sum up the price and buy it at leisure as it were, if they wish.

Just after listing it I noticed a member on Soul Source (he looks to have made quite a few posts, and asked for quite a few wants) had it down as a want, so I pm’d him.

I was actually at least the second one to contact him as someone had already posted a pm message to him.

After giving him the details (demo) and condition and price he got back to me saying It’s only to play at charity events 3 or 4 times a year in which he receives no money for doing and he doesn’t have “much funds” and that he as already been offered a couple of stock copies but asking could I manourve on price?

I got back to him with a 10% discount but received no answer.

A day later he contacted me on e bay( I actually have another username so he wouldn’t have realised it was me) telling me the same tale and that he’d bid  to a certain amount at the time of the first auction but missed out (I looked back at the bidding, he had indeed put a bid in, but for less than he told me he had) and offering to buy it at  about 25% less than the buy it now price.

I messaged him back telling him his charity work sounds very commendable and I salute him but this sounds like emotional blackmail, if it’s only to play at charity events 3 or 4 times a year there’s no real need to own a demo (unless it’s for his own satisfaction) and he would be better buying a stock copy (5 to 10 times easier to come across and obviously cheaper) and donate the difference to the charity ?

Or better still grab a download and donate the lot to the charity? (I don’t know the music policy of the said event).

He messaged me back listing all the good causes and the amount he had raised saying no offence, but plenty people where happy to sell him records on the cheap because he raises money for charity with them.

Now am I missing the point here?

Is he putting the onus on me to backhandedly make a donation to the charity?

I know another soul site used to ask for people to donate unwanted records so they could auction them and give the proceeds to charity, great idea, no problems with that whatsoever.

To me though this smacks of him building up his collection on the cheap on the back of his charity fundraising. (If he sells them on in future would it be for the price paid, or a tidy profit say?)

I have in the past myself done charity bike rides and fun runs but I wouldn’t dream of asking for a discount on a bike or a pair of trainers if I was buying them on e bay because of that fact.

The record in question is far from rare and the demo when up for sale struggles to reach three figures!

Apologies in advance if  I ‘ve got the wrong end of the stick on this one!

PHEW!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I thought long and hard before printing this but “publish and be damned”, here goes:

Last week I had a record up for auction on ebay, the eventual winner didn’t end up paying so I informed e bay (as not to incur the sellers fee), No problem, shit happens,move on!

So I decided to re-list the record as a buy it now so no one will end up bidding more than they should and end up having second thoughts, they can just sum up the price and buy it at leisure as it were, if they wish.

Just after listing it I noticed a member on Soul Source (he looks to have made quite a few posts, and asked for quite a few wants) had it down as a want, so I pm’d him.

I was actually at least the second one to contact him as someone had already posted a pm message to him.

After giving him the details (demo) and condition and price he got back to me saying It’s only to play at charity events 3 or 4 times a year in which he receives no money for doing and he doesn’t have “much funds” and that he as already been offered a couple of stock copies but asking could I manourve on price?

I got back to him with a 10% discount but received no answer.

A day later he contacted me on e bay( I actually have another username so he wouldn’t have realised it was me) telling me the same tale and that he’d bid  to a certain amount at the time of the first auction but missed out (I looked back at the bidding, he had indeed put a bid in, but for less than he told me he had) and offering to buy it at  about 25% less than the buy it now price.

I messaged him back telling him his charity work sounds very commendable and I salute him but this sounds like emotional blackmail, if it’s only to play at charity events 3 or 4 times a year there’s no real need to own a demo (unless it’s for his own satisfaction) and he would be better buying a stock copy (5 to 10 times easier to come across and obviously cheaper) and donate the difference to the charity ?

Or better still grab a download and donate the lot to the charity? (I don’t know the music policy of the said event).

He messaged me back listing all the good causes and the amount he had raised saying no offence, but plenty people where happy to sell him records on the cheap because he raises money for charity with them.

Now am I missing the point here?

Is he putting the onus on me to backhandedly make a donation to the charity?

I know another soul site used to ask for people to donate unwanted records so they could auction them and give the proceeds to charity, great idea, no problems with that whatsoever.

To me though this smacks of him building up his collection on the cheap on the back of his charity fundraising. (If he sells them on in future would it be for the price paid, or a tidy profit say?)

I have in the past myself done charity bike rides and fun runs but I wouldn’t dream of asking for a discount on a bike or a pair of trainers if I was buying them on e bay because of that fact.

The record in question is far from rare and the demo when up for sale struggles to reach three figures!

Apologies in advance if  I ‘ve got the wrong end of the stick on this one!

PHEW!

i think you've already figured it out..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm amazed 1. at the neck of people and 2. at how stupid they think other people must be.

I read it again and I just can't believe someone would stoop so low as this just to get money off records.  Come on Chatty, spill the beans, we've got our pitchforks and lit torches at the ready.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've had the same person e-mail me several times with the same story. I agree with everything the original poster is saying - while it's commendable to provide to charities at the same time he is building up the collection he wants and I'm sure he wouldn't give it away should he decide to stop the charity work.

For someone to be quite particular about the format they want (sometimes an issue and sometimes a demo) is not about charity - if it's for charity then just go out and buy  the cheapest option - re-issue, LP, CD etc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've had the same person e-mail me several times with the same story. I agree with everything the original poster is saying - while it's commendable to provide to charities at the same time he is building up the collection he wants and I'm sure he wouldn't give it away should he decide to stop the charity work.

For someone to be quite particular about the format they want (sometimes an issue and sometimes a demo) is not about charity - if it's for charity then just go out and buy  the cheapest option - re-issue, LP, CD etc

I don't know the guy but his charity work, as it stands, guarantees him a set and may get him his records cheaper - get yer trainers on lad and get running. :wink:

Social source share

I'm doing a sponsered walk and need the Mello Souls to play on my Ipod while walking, so you think JM will give me a discount?

No point John...you couldn't possibly walk whilst listening to such stunning uptemponess that is the Mello Souls...you want some Beat Ballads!

:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

He's a scammer Dave, simple as that. I've been wondering what the record could be and the only candidate I came up with was the Parliaments on Revilot?

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

I got all the same story's aswell.

if he stops doing the charity nights,he will still have all the records bought @ nice prices.

if its only a charity night & dosnt want to pay to much for records.....THEN USE CD'S.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great work doing stuff for charity - and they obviously do a lot.  Still don't agree with asking for money off though.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMbSoulshow?filter=1

I've nothing against anyone doing events to genuinely raise money for charity, but why specifically freeload for a rarer demo when the stock copy's quite rife (especially in view that he claims to have been offered a couple of stock copies already)?  If he's exploiting his own charity events just to get quality soul records on the cheap, then that is a sick, lower-than-low tactic.  It's greed like that which makes me cynical towards anything bearing the word 'charity'.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've nothing against anyone doing events to genuinely raise money for charity, but why specifically freeload for a rarer demo when the stock copy's quite rife (especially in view that he claims to have been offered a couple of stock copies already)?  If he's exploiting his own charity events just to get quality soul records on the cheap, then that is a sick, lower-than-low tactic.  It's greed like that which makes me cynical towards anything bearing the word 'charity'.

Maybe the public donate more money when the record spinning round looks more attractive.  :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe the public donate more money when the record spinning round looks more attractive.  :wicked:

I know I'd pay money just to see certain records spinning round whilst being played, but not necessarily in the name of charity!  :yes:

It does remind me of an ad I saw in the music press during the late '70s which read something like "mail your unwanted copy of Spiral Scratch by the Buzzcocks to (name and address)"...........the barefaced cheek of some people!

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Gotta say that on saturday night i attended a charity soul might at soul in the bowl rushden and the turn out was amazing 2 rooms of top class sounds,

and true to jem's word over a thousand pound was raised, this was dj's from all over the country rallying round to help another soulies misfortune, i wont name but it was an awsome nite and was packed, all in all yes to the charity do's but no to the scams (percentage donated to cause)

It's charity or not make your nind up, I would travel and dj for nothing for charity with OVO but line a pocket no no no

Sorrrrrrry  jem happy birthday you old git

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

If it's a "Keep Old Soulies Solvent" event, sure you need the vinyl, but I'm sure they'd be less than thrilled if they knew what he does.

If it's "Save The Fallen Fluffies of Fishton" I'm sure they couldn't give a rat's rear how it comes out the speakers.

Deffo pushing it a bit in any case.

Social source share

I know I'd pay money just to see certain records spinning round whilst being played, but not necessarily in the name of charity!  :yes:

It does remind me of an ad I saw in the music press during the late '70s which read something like "mail your unwanted copy of Spiral Scratch by the Buzzcocks to (name and address)"...........the barefaced cheek of some people!

Ha.!! I'd really like a copy of my Buzzcocks again.So if any one has a demo....,i'll only play it for charity.Honest.

Social source share

Tell him to buy a download or a reissue 45.  I'm all for charity, but I would never use this tactic.  I also agree with the other person that pointed out that if the stock copy is cheaper, play that.  Maybe he's use this tactic enough times that it works.

I used to have a guy that would buy records off of me who was always asking if I'd throw in some empty 50s/60s company sleeves with his $5 purchase.  As if!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!