Reggae V Us Blackmusic

Just listening to Rodigan on R2, and wondered if thee are many parrallels between the two genres, obviously the collecting and clubbing scenes but also the development and the progress of the music, Is dub the island equivalent to P funk for example? Dancehall  and Rap? Lovers rock and what passed as indie soul in the 8ts? Seems to me like there's cross pollination between the two styles throughout the last 50 years, or am I talking shite again? I dont know all that much about island music, but I like loads of it. It was hearing Rodigan play the lovers version of 'I caught you in a lie' what done it!   

Social source share

basically yes...from the early days ska rocksteady and reggae have always been influenced by what was happening in the states...legendary producer clement coxsone dodd from studio one would make trips to the states and take sevens back to cover...early vocal bands like the wailers were influenced and copied the styles and sounds of the impressions etc...coxsone even called studio one 'the sound of young jamaica' with pics of the other albums available on the back sleeve of lps,sounds familiar?

and i dont think its a coinscidence while the us was becoming more militant with lyrics about social injustice and the rise of the nation of islam in jamaica the same thing was happening with rastafari

bob marley was heavily influenced by the way the likes of sly and the family stone were being marketed and crossing over to the white crowd

saying all this jamaica has always had an abundance of talent and although 'borrowed' certain aspects of american black music they also made it their own and spread it over the world...not bad for a tiny little island!

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

basically yes...from the early days ska rocksteady and reggae have always been influenced by what was happening in the states...legendary producer clement coxsone dodd from studio one would make trips to the states and take sevens back to cover...early vocal bands like the wailers were influenced and copied the styles and sounds of the impressions etc...coxsone even called studio one 'the sound of young jamaica' with pics of the other albums available on the back sleeve of lps,sounds familiar?

and i dont think its a coinscidence while the us was becoming more militant with lyrics about social injustice and the rise of the nation of islam in jamaica the same thing was happening with rastafari

bob marley was heavily influenced by the way the likes of sly and the family stone were being marketed and crossing over to the white crowd

saying all this jamaica has always had an abundance of talent and although 'borrowed' certain aspects of american black music they also made it their own and spread it over the world...not bad for a tiny little island!

dean

loads of stuff i ddint know in that one post, and toad, I know its maybe too big for a read on here, but I just thought soem of you nice guys might like to give me soem great anecdotes. 

Social source share

Buy a book on the subject. Coxsone worked in the states. Sly no The impression's Yes re lp cover.

not sure what parts you are disagreeing with me here mate but ive seen interviews with marley,bunny wailer,chris blackwell etc saying about all the influences ive mentioned? vocal styling and dress of the impressions being a big influence not just the lp covers....marley got thrown off a sly and the family tour for being too good as a support band wasnt influenced musically so much but did use american rock guitarists to over dub on catch a fire as i said to catch the white market as sly was doing

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!