Venues When And Where

Guest Bearsy

Guest Bearsy

Got me thinking and as a relative newie that was not about back in the day or the daY before that, I have heard many a story of venues that people look back on and remember with lots of great memories,

Which venues that bring them great memories back from back in the day were running,

as in Wigan 73 to 81.

Would be great to see a list of all them from back then and which ones were the venues that was your favourites ?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Pretty sure there was comprehensive list done a while ago Bearsy, did Simsy compile it?

Was a good thread :thumbsup:

Oh I must of missed that one Joan will try find the link ;-)

Social source share

Got me thinking and as a relative newie that was not about back in the day or the daY before that, I have heard many a story of venues that people look back on and remember with lots of great memories,

Which venues that bring them great memories back from back in the day were running,

as in Wigan 73 to 81.

Would be great to see a list of all them from back then and which ones were the venues that was your favourites ?

Now then Bearsy

Hope yer well fella.

Two of my best all niters were Clifton Hall at Rotherham - brilliant music, brilliant crowd and we always made a weekend of it.

Cleethorpes Winter Gardens - under Steve Crofts stewardship. Again, just the right time for me - music, crowd etc.

Loads of others of course - but they're my top two.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

It might have been venues from the 80s / 90s, not sure but I do remember it was one hell of a list :lol:

It was Joan, as I remember started in response to the myth that the scene was dead in the 80s.

Social source share

Pretty sure there was comprehensive list done a while ago Bearsy, did Simsy compile it?

Was a good thread :thumbsup:

Oh I must of missed that one Joan will try find the link ;-)

It was Joan, as I remember started in response to the myth that the scene was dead in the 80s.

So, in a nut shell, the consensus - albeit it a small one, is that we've already done this to death and the only person who obviously likes to repeat himself is ...............................................................Peter. He's got a lot to answer for that lad.

:facepalm:  :shades:  :D

P

Social source share

Guest Byrney

So, in a nut shell, the consensus - albeit it a small one, is that we've already done this to death and the only person who obviously likes to repeat himself is ...............................................................Peter. He's got a lot to answer for that lad.

:facepalm:  :shades:  :D

P

It was years ago mate, like a underplayed tune it's ready for revival :D

Anyone techy on here able to find the original thread?

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Samanthas and st Ives for two good uns,cleethorpes pier and winter garden running together another good two for the price of one ur.Quite a few one or just a few times run offer urs liked the coalville nighter back then regardless of a battalion of suadies,and they weren't the sort fighting overseas either,festooning their bloated  soft machines of sub human flesh they called "themselves" all over the place waitng to entrap the unwary and no doubt hoping to instillm paranoi into those who did recognise them.went to the reopening recently and that was bloody good to,distinct lack of sub human bloated  themselves about(maybe I am just to old and out of it(ahem bit of an ambiguous statement there?)to  see any because I was hyaving such a good time,dont like toplug places,obviously I don't have owt to do with the place but I would like to see another one on there soon just as I would like to see another Sammys nighter in the original setting above the Ice rink.

Ah o such a simple time back then things were so uncomplicated as the rivers wound their way to the sea unpolluted by millions of gallons of factory waste slush being expelled regular as clockwork even as the tides themselves.or was it all just viewing nighters back then through rose tinted spectacles as thick in the lenses as beer bottle bottoms,naw Skf or Riker lenses more like polished with a bottle or two of stimpalete.One things for sure though,there surely wasnt6   any where near the sheer number of  all nighters t here is now back then  playing "northern soul", or is it r and b or is it latin could it be funk,crossover,fall over,drop over back off er.?

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

From around '72 to '78 ish us up here in Manchester/Lancashire were spoiled rotten for choice..

Friday-Pendulum

Saturday-Torch,or Mecca,then Wigan

Sunday-Ashton Tiffs, Ritz Alldayers, John Bull

Monday-Piccadilly

Tuesday-Intercon/Carolines

Wednesday-Carlton

Thursday-Blue Rooms...

And get up for work   :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Not sure about dates (sure somebody will help out). But up here in Scotland 2 of the biggie all-niters

Shotts () big thread on this one.

Edinburgh "clouds" all-Niters

Social source share

Back in the 60's / early to mid 70's most towns / cities had good soul clubs. Most didn't host nighters and many didn't feature live acts but the sounds spun were good.

Places such as Hull, Bridlington, Scarboro, Goole, Grimsby, Doncaster, Tadcaster, Sheffield, Rotherham, Leeds, Worksop, Castleford, Bradford, Dewsbury, Retford, Nottingham & more had great clubs that catered for the mod then soul crowd.

A great venue in Dony was the Attic (Co-op Ballroom) which used to host great soul nites that featured fine live acts. With the passage of time, skinheads took over & reggae music was also introduced and the club eventually faded away .... but in its time it was a great place. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

From around '72 to '78 ish us up here in Manchester/Lancashire were spoiled rotten for choice..

Friday-Pendulum

Monday-Piccadilly

Wednesday-Carlton

Thursday-Blue Rooms...

Think I've posted this before but my week comprised of:

Monday - Tiffany's Halifax

Tuesday - Burnley Cricket Club

Wednesday - The Magnet Oldham

Thursday - Sale Mecca (Blue Rooms)

Friday - Pendalum

Saturday - Blackpool Mecca/Wigan

Sunday - Crash!!

Great days indeed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Only seen Yate mentioned down South so here's a few more from that era

ALLNIGHTERS

Bisley Allnighter

Egham Allnighter

Abingdon Allnighter

Camberley Civic Hall Allnighter

Swanage Allnighter

ALL DAYERS

Reading Top Rank All Dayer

Basingstoke West Indian Club All Dayer

SOUL NITES

Southampton West Indian Club

Camberley Shades

Newbury Cheiveley Hall

Basingstoke Diamonds

Reading Emmer Green YC

Abingdon Utd FC

Newbury Waterside

Southampton Center

Wool Village Hall Nr Wareham

Just to name a few from our neck of the woods Bearsy, personally all a bit of a haze but had good times at all of these localish venues in my youth......

Social source share

Not sure about dates (sure somebody will help out). But up here in Scotland 2 of the biggie all-niters

Shotts () big thread on this one.

Edinburgh "clouds" all-Niters

Not forgetting Thornton Crown Hotel and Glenrothes YMCA, which I think Guy Hennigan said was the best place he ever played.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Friday-Pendulum

Monday-Piccadilly

Wednesday-Carlton

Thursday-Blue Rooms...

..bloody ell ,,forgotten about that place in Sale..didn't Mr Levine do that as it was part of the Mecca org.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Friday-Pendulum

Monday-Piccadilly

Wednesday-Carlton

Thursday-Blue Rooms...

Or staying"up",all week.
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Only seen Yate mentioned down South so here's a few more from that era

ALLNIGHTERS

Bisley Allnighter

Egham Allnighter

Abingdon Allnighter

Camberley Civic Hall Allnighter

Swanage Allnighter

ALL DAYERS

Reading Top Rank All Dayer

Basingstoke West Indian Club All Dayer

SOUL NITES

Southampton West Indian Club

Camberley Shades

Newbury Cheiveley Hall

Basingstoke Diamonds

Reading Emmer Green YC

Abingdon Utd FC

Newbury Waterside

Southampton Center

Wool Village Hall Nr Wareham

Just to name a few from our neck of the woods Bearsy, personally all a bit of a haze but had good times at all of these localish venues in my youth......

you forgot to mention Wooden bridge Guildford every friday with loads of guests and regulars,

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

as in Wigan 73 to 81.

Sorry Bearsy, I started something a bit similar on Freebasing so I'll shut mine down, didn't realise you'd started this thread :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Mine was Parr Hall Warrington in the 80's. Brilliant dance floor, dance hall and music. Was near the start of my discovery of Northern. Was only 15 and thought I'd found true love. Met brilliant people who have passed in and out of my life since and brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. Going back last week was great but also tinged with sadness because I'm now 43! and cos I'm 3 stone fatter! and cos I can no longer take what I took that made me think I could spin, so now I do a triangle kind of thing and try to stomp but stop half way through a song because of my knees, Malcolm wasn't there and it'd gone a bit posh round the corridors, and there was no queue outside, and someone was sat in mine and Reg's seat, but true to form, I met some new friends, some lovely ladies from Warrington who saved me from a night of harassment by some drunken bloke called Derek who is known as a sex pest! but even he was still more pleasant than other sex pests!

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

And Sheridans too. Used to travel with Steve Cato, Paul Sado, Richard Bergman and would dance all night long :wicked: alongside Nesta, Billy Whizz, Barry and Beryl (where are they now anyone?) Sooty from Yorkshire somewhere, and loads of brill people. Bring it back! :wub:

Social source share

Friday-Pendulum

Monday-Piccadilly

Wednesday-Carlton

Thursday-Blue Rooms...

Bang on......too young for the Torch......loved the Ritz and remember some good dayers at Ashton Tiffs.

Also Roundtree Sounds Saturday afternoon and towards the end of that "era",  Angels in Burnley to hear Colin Curtis.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Sorry Bearsy, I started something a bit similar on Freebasing so I'll shut mine down, didn't realise you'd started this thread :thumbsup:

You could always link it to this one every little bit helps ;-)

Social source share

I remember coaches, minibuses & car loads from Newbury, Aldershot, Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Abingdon etc going to Allnighters, Dayers at Wigan, St Ives, Yate, Peterborough, Stafford, Blackpool Mecca, Cleethorpes, Ritz, Brum Locarno, Cats, Howard Mallet, Notts Palais, Hinckley, Leighton Buzzard, Bedford & others during that period but it was just one big scene in those days.....

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Reading through all the different venues there are a good few I've never heard before and seems like there was something on every night oop norf :-)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I remember coaches, minibuses & car loads from Newbury, Aldershot, Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Abingdon etc going to Allnighters, Dayers at Wigan, St Ives, Yate, Peterborough, Stafford, Blackpool Mecca, Cleethorpes, Ritz, Brum Locarno, Cats, Howard Mallet, Notts Palais, Hinckley, Leighton Buzzard, Bedford & others during that period but it was just one big scene in those days.....

Shame we couldn't get a minibus full from down here to a few oop norf nighters going again :-)

Social source share

Reading through all the different venues there are a good few I've never heard before and seems like there was something on every night oop norf :-)

There was always something decent happening up North Bearsy. Unfortunately you southern poofs lads and lasses couldn't quite hack it.

:wicked:

Peter

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

There was always something decent happening up North Bearsy. Unfortunately you southern poofs lads and lasses couldn't quite hack it.

Peter

I was too busy getting piled up raving and getting in all sorts of strife in the 80s Peter lol.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy ,we don't want you lot from darn sarf invading us up norf ,how you doing mate  :)

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

Only cos we know how to party hard Bazza lol. All good thanks and hope all is well with you matey ;-)

Social source share

Joan, I remember meeting you at TTs in Llandulas in north Wales circa '88?! North Wales Soul Club. Ring any bells?! Happy days!

Rich

Oh Rich, I was really enjoying reading this and the old 80s thread and you had to go and remind me I am now twice the age I was in 1988. Thanks for that  :lol:

Social source share

And Sheridans too. Used to travel with Steve Cato, Paul Sado, Richard Bergman and would dance all night long :wicked: alongside Nesta, Billy Whizz, Barry and Beryl (where are they now anyone?) Sooty from Yorkshire somewhere, and loads of brill people. Bring it back! :wub:

sheridans had an atmosphere all of its own. Brill place.still see nesta about, not seen sooty and Mandy for ages. Defo bring it back Andy.
Social source share

Shame we couldn't get a minibus full from down here to a few oop norf nighters going again :-)

Hey up Bearsy :thumbsup:

I'm sure we could if somebody could be arsed to organise it :)

A few years back somebody organised a coach from London to New Century allnighter in Manchester - (might have been Andy BB?)

Coach was full and everyone had a great time :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Peter

But on a Monday there was a heck of a market in Gloucester for 'liberated whippets' from exotic sounding places like Todmorden and Scunthorpe.

Tuesday racing pigeons from Hetton Le Hole and Fylde.

Wednesday bricks of lard scrapped from the flat caps of Ellesmere Port.

Thursday was a slow day, terraced houses never really caught on unless there someone had any space acerage in their Eastern paddock.

These all paid for a few forays back to those types of towns from Friday to Sunday tho.  :thumbup:

Social source share

But on a Monday there was a heck of a market in Gloucester for 'liberated whippets' from exotic sounding places like Todmorden and Scunthorpe.

Tuesday racing pigeons from Hetton Le Hole and Fylde.

Wednesday bricks of lard scrapped from the flat caps of Ellesmere Port.

Thursday was a slow day, terraced houses never really caught on unless there someone had any space acerage in their Eastern paddock.

These all paid for a few forays back to those types of towns from Friday to Sunday tho.  :thumbup:

:lol:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Ah if soul nights are included as well as all nighters then what about the north park kettering on a Thursday night night from the eatrly days on when soul didn't have the northern tag and Glen bellamy would regularly playbehind the decks,all through the seventies and before and after this working mens club on Thursdays was war just "to darn soulful",I experienced a ban of some months one time for ahem ,well you can guess,and it was horrible for at the time we used to go to st Ives all nighter and before that we would go to the north park on a Saturday where although not officially a soul night played a lot of our genre,with Wilky ,Rug and co ,while banned I used to sit in the pub opposite with the lads tking turns to come over the road and keep me company,I got lonely on me own!.It was horrible missing Thursday nights while banned but eventually I got back in through the help of the doorman who was on the committee and a few others who pleaded my case..

PS,Wilky also got banned same time as me but with his luck ,he could fall in a pile of manure and in it find a sack of krugerands,he got back in within a couple of weeks.of course I was -pleased for him but it meant losing my drinking partner from the pub across the road .

I remember another good soul night at a club in Bedford that we went to a few times,on another thread Martyn on here said the name of it,we all used to bunk the train to Bedford and would meet Gavin r.i.p one of wellingboros finest,Terry,Steve Evans,Glen and co doing the same.Wilky and Rug both did dj spots at this club as did Hammy and Tony Dellar if I remember rightly with faces like Ronnie Edwards etc making a show.Another soul night was over at Northampton,again cant remember the name but Gav and crew used to go there ,it was near the lumbertubs estate I think?Used to see lots of the Northampton folk there,johnny king r.i.p(killed in the police cells)the Collins bros,monica and Karen(who started going out with rug then.Had a very funny mini all nighter afterwards one time at Lennys flat there,me,Wilky,Rug ,Gav,Monica,Karen amd Lenny of course will post about said night soon on the forum.

In the days when not all that many folk had cars we still used to travel to soul nights as well as nighters,granted they may not have been so far but would still often require jumping trains or other less mentionable ways of getting there,quite often going on afterwards to have our own mini all nighter at some ones house afterwards.Just remembered another one that ran a few times ,soul night that is ,one at thrapston seven arches hotel(know I have the town right may not be quite so sure about name of venue,any way it was in a hotel therebout 74 time.How much sleep did I miss through the seventies,cant say exactly but I am glad I did miss such a large chunk.Well as the millionaires would say if anyone asks"Would you not rather have got your sleep and rest at night instead of staying UP so much"my reply"No never for  me,oh never for me,save that sleep for somebody else,but never for me".

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Loved kings hall stoke brilliant main northern ballroom full to the rafters, always made me feel it was the 70's brilliant music and queue around the block

Social source share

Oh Rich, I was really enjoying reading this and the old 80s thread and you had to go and remind me I am now twice the age I was in 1988. Thanks for that  :lol:

But Joan you don't look it.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rodw

For me personally, Yate Allnighter was the top place down South tho.....peeps from all over the South/West Country/Wales/London/Cornwall/Home Counties/Kent/West & East Midlands etc & a fair few from Up North visited on a regular basis. Unfortunately down South these days it's nearly all Soul Nites (mainly Mod & Scooter do's playing well known stuff from the 70's era) & the odd All Dayer, apart from the Gloucester area & the London Scene's Allniters which are the stronghold places for regular present day Allniter attendees in any great number as far as I'm aware.....would be fantastic to have the Allniter following we had in the 70's but can't see it ever happening again, those days are long gone I'm sad to say.

Still some great dj's down here tho, unfortunately they don't very often get spots at the current crop of Southern venues.....probably cause their record collections are far to current for the resident crowds & the dj's who also promote.... but that's a different story that has been mentioned many many times on previous threads lol ??

Might sound like soar grapes but to those up North, if you lived down here you'd know what I mean.......

Social source share

Loved kings hall stoke brilliant main northern ballroom full to the rafters, always made me feel it was the 70's brilliant music and queue around the block

Doing Stoke on the 20th, driving up from Dover the Saturday, should leave the port at about 12 o'clock UK time. Anybody want to share a ride ? Returning - leaving Stoke about 11-ish the Sunday (yawn.........;-) I've put the times I reckon I'll be at these places. See you all there then.................

post-4408-0-00178500-1373273191_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!