Cleethorpes Twenty Year Veterans...how Many Are There ?

So I was wondering, how many people have a 100% attendance record for the weekenders ?

Wish I did Dave. I've just posted on the other thread that Cleethorpes is the best weekender bar none!

I've done 13 on the trot and looking forward to next year already :thumbsup:

Mind, I don't half feel shit today. Probably delayed reaction to all that burning the candle at both ends :yes:

Edited by Stubbsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I've done a few but my memory isn't what it was

You have certainly not been there at the start of every one.....

Okay, I am going to bore you with this one, immensely, over next year or so, but please bring Bettye back, pretty please.......

Social source share

I've done a few but my memory isn't what it was

Ady I actually wrote you & Sylv a letter after the first one, thanking you as I'd had such an ace time, and advance reserving a ridiculous cardboard chalet with hip bath of rusty water for the next one.  Found a copy of it the other day :)

Tee x

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Me and my wife Liz have done every day except one, we had to go home on Sun a couple years ago,

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

I've done everyone though I certainly haven't been there for the full weekend every year.

Charlie Rees & Paul Dunn have done everyone as well and they may well have been there for every Friday / Saturday / Sunday of every weekender. But there are others in our 'team' who have been part-timers (Snake Hips Temple, Kegsy, Swish, our kid & more). 

Social source share

Me and my wife Liz have done every day except one, we had to go home on Sun a couple years ago,

Cheers Jim.

Lightweights! :lol:

The Macc Lads have been an ever present as a two/three chalet/van gang along with Hinckley, the Rileys of Notts, East Anglian mob, Beds bunch and the Keogh clan of Lancs. Them and all the other regulars are hugely appreciated. Ady

Social source share

Ady I actually wrote you & Sylv a letter after the first one, thanking you as I'd had such an ace time, and advance reserving a ridiculous cardboard chalet with hip bath of rusty water for the next one.  Found a copy of it the other day :)

Tee x

I'm sure I've got it somewhere too Theresa. x

Social source share

I managed the first 13 years on the trot, won 2 of the quizzes & was runner up in another, unfortunately real life took over & work just hasnt allowed me to be there since...I fully intend to make up for lost time, as & when the opportunity arises again....very, very happy times....

Best Russ

Social source share

Unfamiliar with the venue, I remember saying to Jeff as we approached the site for the first time, 'I wonder what sort of a place it is?'

As we drove in there was a banner over the entrance saying that a four-day chalet break for a family of four was £9.  I think that told us everything we needed to know about the facilities  :lol:  Happy days.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

I loved them chalets lol. loads of Sunday night party's every year with my late mate Glenn Hunter, great memories.

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

Was it PA over a mike and singing to her records or a full band?

Pretty sure it was just her, no band. Will try to find the pictures I took.

Edit: it was definitely 1995. Even tho the more I think about it the less I'm sure I saw Doris Troy live. :g:

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Pretty sure it was just her, no band. Will try to find the pictures I took.

Edit: it was definitely 1995. Even tho the more I think about it the less I'm sure I saw Doris Troy live. :g:

Benji, i've just looked through the pack of photos i have from when you came over here for the weekender, the only pictures i have of an artist performing is this

post-1823-0-25224400-1371142981_thumb.jp

Is it Tommy Hunt ? I can't guarantee this fits with that year but it's from the same batch of photos i sent you. The year was 1995.

Edited by alan t
Social source share

I reckon my first one was 1998 and if someone can list the acts from the 90's I can probably confirm that.  Chalet's it was back then, and I was in with the Hull crowd.......not for the feint of heart I can tell you!  The only time I ever went on the train too.

I've only missed one since, in 2002 when my daughter was born (11 years ago this very day as it happens - Happy Birthday Hope!).  I know which act I missed as my mate Mr. Stead got the Velvelettes autographs for me.  He was the first soulie I called that day to let everyone I knew at Cleethorpes know that I was a dad! :D  :D

Not sure which one I started DJ'ing at, and I have had to miss some days since, when my daughters birthday has clashed, but I've always made it!

If Ady keeps the date as first weekend in June I will never have that problem again. :thumbsup:

I ALWAYS enjoy Cleethorpes but the weekends go faster with every passing year!!

Well done Ady.......you do have a great attitude to it all, which counts a lot for me. :hatsoff2:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I think I've only missed one I think plus two weekends I only did the Saturday due to breaking elbow and other such mishaps :lol:

Won the quiz quite a few times though including this year with Mark Speakman and Chico :D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest the originator56

About 400

remember it well  I was the the first person there 2 oclock presice, walkin round tryin to find another human being. after 30 mins  found the bloke who ran the entertainment and catering there for the retired miners that lived on the site for ten months a year, he told some great storys. about the place hed been there since 1970.  3 oclock ish  couple of  soul people turn up

4.30 ady  and Sylvia turn up .   THE REST IS HISTORY>

Social source share

Not missed one yet, but my 1st grand daughter (Scarlett Elizabeth) arriving 8.30ish on Friday 7th June 2013 nearly put paid that attendance record....

Tough one that......well a 10 minute hospital visit sorted that out and when Scarlett can sing like Bettye Swann, she may get me to not go to a weekender

Tina's also a 100% but we only got together in 1995, both sets of friends had them chalets, no good for sleeping or living in but the parties and free styling music on the grassed areas was brill

Dave Halsall

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!