Bobby Womack On Bbc4

Guest Paul

It's interesting to think that Womack has issued more than 20 albums but most compilations seem to focus on the same 20 or 30 tracks or so, about 15% of his work, which means that his new and younger fans have a lot of great music to discover.

Imagine the thrill of suddenly discovering Womack and having all those gems to listen to for the first time.

I hope the BBC documentary will result in a lot of new sales.

Paul

Social source share

Saw the documentary last night Paul, and having enjoyed it that much will watch again. I have eleven vinyl albums mostly bought on release or soon after, Resurrection (Underated ) on casette, and numerous CD's. I do hope new and younger fans delve into his wonderful back catalogue, a good start would be the compilation - Essential Bobby Womack - The Last Great Soul Man.

In the very early seventies I bought many new release's on the basis of reviews in Blues and Soul, Womack, O'Jays, Spinners, Harold Melvin, Chi Lites, Stylistics, Bill Withers,early EWF, Invictus, Hot Wax , just to name a few. Forty years on and I am still discovering new stuff by many of the same artists and get that same thrill.

Can't Stop A Man In Love off the brilliant Fact's Of Life album was also done as we all know by Reuben Howell. I think both were 1973 but is Bobby's version the original ?

Steve

Social source share

Can't Stop A Man In Love off the brilliant Fact's Of Life album was also done as we all know by Reuben Howell. I think both were 1973 but is Bobby's version the original ?

Its a George Soule/Terry Woodford song and If you look at the rest of the Reuben Howell LP, its a Wishbone production, so 100% Muscle Shoals and IMO nothing really linking it to Motown apart from it being released on it.  Womack had links down there from his time at American Studios, so I would have thought there was a good chance that the song was pitched to various artists at the same time.  Given the production leaning of the RH LP and that he released it as a single, I'd have a leaning towards Reuben Howell being the primary, even if Facts of Life had an earlier release date.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Watched this the day before the 110th St Doc. It's very similar but with a tad more detail, not as good quality as the BBC version but well worth a look.

Social source share

Guest keithh

In a strange way, Wilson Pickett made me a Bobby Womack fan.  I went to see Pickett at Hammersmith around 1971, and also on the bill was a then little known Phillip Mitchell.  He did a song with a fantastic guitar riff that I couldn't get out of my head.  I asked around and discovered it was Bobby Womacks' 'That's the way I feel about cha', which I subsequently bought, and then got anything I could by this then unknown to me artist.

Forward to 1988 and the best gig I have ever seen at the same venue, Bobby Womacks 'The Last Soul Man' concert.

Here is one that I only recently discovered, a duet by Womack and Ronald Isley.  Absolutely sublime!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!