Bobby Womack On Bbc4

Don't know if others are aware, but on browsing the Sky TV guide it appear there is two hours of Soul on the brilliant BBC 4 tonight.

The Bobby Womack story from 9 to 10 and then the Soul to Soul concert from 1971.

Sky Channel 116. Enjoy!

Noticed bit about Bobby Womack  in Sunday's paper but with hectic week had forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

Steve

Social source share

Don't know if others are aware, but on browsing the Sky TV guide it appear there is two hours of Soul on the brilliant BBC 4 tonight.

The Bobby Womack story from 9 to 10 and then the Soul to Soul concert from 1971.

Sky Channel 116. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up would have missed it if not for you :thumbsup:

Social source share

God knows what's going on, but all our BBC channels are cracking up and I can't get anything on BBC 4! Tried setting it to record the later showing at 1.55 in the hope it will work by then.

Anyone else not receiving on BBC?

Social source share

Grrrr!!!!!

Someone else gave us the heads up on this the other nite so kept a tab open on my lap top to remind me. :)

I didn't get back from work till twenty past nine and have therefore missed the first bit which has probably ruined the entire fecking show! :dash2:  :dash2: :dash2:  :dash2:  

I can see a Plus 1 for nearly every all channel but not BBC 4! The bloody bastards are conspiring against me! I'm sure I can hear voices outside. :sweatingbullets:  :sweatingbullets:

BUGGER!!!

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Grrrr!!!!!

Someone else gave us the heads up on this the other nite so kept a tab open on my lap top to remind me. :)

I didn't get back from work till twenty past nine and have therefore missed the first bit which has probably ruined the entire fecking show! :dash2:  :dash2: :dash2:  :dash2:  

I can see a Plus 1 for nearly every all channel but not BBC 4! The bloody bastards are conspiring against me! I'm sure I can hear voices outside. :sweatingbullets:  :sweatingbullets:

BUGGER!!!

Peter

It's repeated overnight, look at yer planner...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyone heard the album womack did with damon albarn? Any good?

His biggest selling UK album ever. Probably not either your or my cup of tea but he sure found his biggest-ever UK audience after half a decade. Bobby's always had a good reach to much wider audiences than most artists and he's sure confirming to type with his last album.

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyone heard the album womack did with damon albarn? Any good?

Yes got it. Main track 'Please forgive my heart' is worth it for that alone. I haven't got into the rest so much, but often that's the case for me.

His biggest selling UK album ever. Probably not either your or my cup of tea but he sure found his biggest-ever UK audience after half a decade. Bobby's always had a good reach to much wider audiences than most artists and he's sure confirming to type with his last album.

Ian D :D

He the king for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJInFz3Dqbo

I think I saw Bobby do this on Jools Holland around Christmas time.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The energy those guys like Pickett had was phenomenal.....

Saw Wilson P in the early 70s ( must have been a babe in arms :wink: ) at the Rainbow in London, absolutely awesome performer. Time fades the memory somewhat but remember being blown away by him. Saw quite a few live acts in the 70s but remember none as exciting as WP :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Saw Wilson P in the early 70s ( must have been a babe in arms :wink: ) at the Rainbow in London, absolutely awesome performer. Time fades the memory somewhat but remember being blown away by him. Saw quite a few live acts in the 70s but remember none as exciting as WP :thumbsup:

He's another one of those artists that was off my radar for years - due to my oft admitted, ridiculous "rare soul snobbery". What a voice!

Peter

Social source share

Guest Paul

Womack has been my hero since 1972 so it's wonderful to see him receive such wide acclaim.

I wanna watch that documentary again already.

:thumbsup:

Paul

Social source share

the womack program was surprisingly good.. most mainstream medias attempts at black music coverage are woefull. frinstance any body see in one of last weekend papers a review of the reissue of irma thomas 'in between tears' album. produced by some called jerry 'swamp dogg' douglas. news to me.

[sorry for lower case..broken arm...in three places...but i get my macarno on monday]

dean

Edited by dean jj
Social source share

Only just spotted this and was more than a tad annoyed I'd missed it last night...then just seen it is already on the superb BBC iPlayer so look forward to watching that when the kids out in a bit!

What a man and what a voice. I still listen to "The Poet" LPs on a regular basis, alongside other Womack magic. Stunning.

Damn....I'm going to go out today and get me a tight fitting leather suit and hat and see if it helps my voice. Lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Womack has been my hero since 1972 so it's wonderful to see him receive such wide acclaim.

I wanna watch that documentary again already.

:thumbsup:

Paul

Same here Paul. I knew of Bobby prior to 1972, but  listening Harry Hippie that year prompted me to buy  the album Understanding and I have been an avid collector ever since.

A lot of people may have missed his 70's output due to the Northern Boom and others only familiar via his Northern/ Modern sides, but for me he has been one of the  greatest soul singers of all time and The Bravest Man In The Universe is giving him the acclaim he so richly deserves.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I though the documentary was astoundingly good. Along with the Otis last week, and the Muscle Shoals Film in the cinemas later this year we are really being spoiled for soul music on screen.

It was painful to hear how far gone his voice is now. It was almost as if nothing was coming out at some points.

I have a real problem with Bravest Man in the Universe, in that it is probably the worst album he has ever made, and now the press discover him! It has its moments, but I don't think any of them could be anyone's favourite Bobby W moments. And I say that as a person who thinks the Richard Russell produced Gil Scott Heron album was a great thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Same here Paul. I knew of Bobby prior to 1972, but  listening Harry Hippie that year prompted me to buy  the album Understanding and I have been an avid collector ever since.

A lot of people may have missed his 70's output due to the Northern Boom and others only familiar via his Northern/ Modern sides, but for me he has been one of the  greatest soul singers of all time and The Bravest Man In The Universe is giving him the acclaim he so richly deserves.

Steve

Spot on Steve, THE BEST, 70,s output incredible, the two sets he did for Columbia, "Pieces" and "Home is where the heart is" for some reason don't get the acclaim they deserve, someone mentioned the Muscle Shoals film due out, well, if you want to hear them, rythm and horn sections at full tilt, listen to "Standing in the safety zone" from the "Home" set, absolutely breathtaking, and then the ballad "One more chance" (killer) the next track, just perfect

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Watched it with the Mrs. last night and when it started I said to her "Bobbies losing the plot , his guitar is upside down" :lol:  , in all the years I've listened and watched him I never noticed he played it arse about face , you never stop learning things do you?

Anyway Great programme , well done BBC4 :hatsoff2:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Paul

Steve

Hello Steve,

Same here, Understanding was the first Womack LP I bought as a new or recent release - in late 1972 or early '73.

I was only 14 or 15 but after hearing 'Harry Hippie' I bought the LP and I was knocked out because it was so natural and direct that it felt sort of personal. Even the sleeve was a work of art.

After that I waited for each new Womack LP as if it was a special occasion. I often plugged Womack in Black Echoes and I remember reviewing Roads Of Life as a new release in 1979 but it was a bit frustrating that UK sales were quite poor.

Looking back, only a handful of my mates were heavily into Womack at the time - Kev Cane being an obvious example - because most of them concentrated on disco or 'northern' soul. But tastes widen with age I think.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Steve,

Same here, Understanding was the first Womack LP I bought as a new or recent release - in late 1972 or early '73.

I was only 14 or 15 but after hearing 'Harry Hippie' I bought the LP and I was knocked out because it was so natural and direct that it felt sort of personal. Even the sleeve was a work of art.

After that I waited for each new Womack LP as if it was a special occasion. I often plugged Womack in Black Echoes and I remember reviewing Roads Of Life as a new release in 1979 but it was a bit frustrating that UK sales were quite poor.

Looking back, only a handful of my mates were heavily into Womack at the time - Kev Cane being an obvious example - because most of them concentrated on disco or 'northern' soul. But tastes widen with age I think.

Paul

"Woman gotta have it" outstanding track on there aswell Paul, also fantastic rendition of the Beatles "And i love her", fantastic set

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!