Where Next "musically"?

What about people who never had a break - I admit that after Wigan I was not an allnighter goer but I kept up with all of the sounds via places like The Old Vic, tapes and live tapes and eventually started going again but don't think I have a gap anywhere as far as sounds are concerned (that's only happened this last 5 years). I've always liked the same music and always will. I'll never like modern soul, ever. I don't even want to like it. I don't need to like it. It offers me nothing whatsoever. I might like to hear maybe two latin records in a row, that's it. I can take a bit more R&B but no more than half an hour. Traditional Northern, I can listen to that all night because that's why I'm there, at a Northern Soul allnighter. (I get as frustrated as anyone else when the same old records are churned out time after time though) So it's not like people aren't aware of other sounds and styles, they just don't want to embrace them like they do traditional NS.

And where did I say you/they should. I never take exception to people saying they only like 60's and indeed often argue on their side, even though that is obviously not always to my taste for a night out, although in honesty it probably could be more now, if it was decent enough music, as I get out so very rarely. As happened in 1996ish when the scene took a turn not to my liking, in music quality and people quality, I suppose I "moved on". And it was talking about the scene not our personal tastes, and therefore I take exception to people being told to "cut the Umbilicle (sic) cord" purely because peoples definition of Northern is different to others, particularly when as usual it tries to write almost 30 years of the scene out of history. Hence why I answered how I did, to who I did.

So you are arguing with yourself here!

I call them 70's Northern.

I love this stuff.

It's entirely different to what I know as 'modern' - it's evolving from the 60's sound but is still true to it.

In fact, this is one of the most enjoyable podcasts I ever did.

These records were all spun on the Northern Soul scene, mainly between 1975 and 77, and the interesting thing is that back then, I didn’t separate these from the 60’s tunes, it was all Northern Soul. Somewhere along the way, lines became drawn and suddenly we had Modern Soul and much later, Crossover, but these uptempo 70’s dancers will always have strong connections to some great days on the Northern Soul scene. I was never a Blackpool Mecca attendee but every one of these tracks was played at Wigan and most at Cleethorpes and probably places like The Ritz too. Anyway, great memories and to my surprise, one of the most enjoyable podcasts I’ve ever done!

Are you not doing here what you always get grumpy with others about, telling people what is Northern Soul and what is not, agains based on specific limited period. My understanding is obviously very different from yours, but both based on direct experience at all-nighters. So why is one more relevant than the others. And that’s not about liking the music, I sometimes feel I dislike as much Northern as I like, which is not the case but that’s modern day forums impact I suspect. I generally don't say its not Northern, I say its bad Northern and I don't want to go to places that play it.

I agree the definition is being stretched to the max in some cases, and in the R&B case of the mid 90's that’s what drove me off, clip clopping onto the house sunset, although interestingly that seems to have pretty much developed into its own scene now has it not? And the few times I have been places like Edinburgh's Basics, they are right into their Black music. For this funk phenomonon I suppose I don’t think of the examples that people seem to get all hot under the collar about as part of the Northern scene, which is all I attend these days, sadly in some ways, and even then rarely. The Northern events I have gone to, any "funk" is mostly just relatively well known hard 70's soul. Unless its Butch or some of his more recent disciples, but again they very rarely play that much of this at Northern events as far as I hear. Which sort of brings me to my first post…….

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Hi Joko,

we could be going round in circles here. Never said you said etc etc etc. It changed/split in 74 with The Carstaires and the like, didn't say it died. Evolving in inverted comma's, play something different - Not obscure but not aired too much.

Didn't tell people to leave the scene just to leave me alone and to my own likes and dislikes. I have confidence in my English and its grasp.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this mate. No malice intended.

Social source share

And where did I say you/they should. I never take exception to people saying they only like 60's and indeed often argue on their side, even though that is obviously not always to my taste for a night out, although in honesty it probably could be more now, if it was decent enough music, as I get out so very rarely. As happened in 1996ish when the scene took a turn not to my liking, in music quality and people quality, I suppose I "moved on". And it was talking about the scene not our personal tastes, and therefore I take exception to people being told to "cut the Umbilicle (sic) cord" purely because peoples definition of Northern is different to others, particularly when as usual it tries to write almost 30 years of the scene out of history. Hence why I answered how I did, to who I did.

So you are arguing with yourself here!

Are you not doing here what you always get grumpy with others about, telling people what is Northern Soul and what is not, agains based on specific limited period. My understanding is obviously very different from yours, but both based on direct experience at all-nighters. So why is one more relevant than the others. And that’s not about liking the music, I sometimes feel I dislike as much Northern as I like, which is not the case but that’s modern day forums impact I suspect. I generally don't say its not Northern, I say its bad Northern and I don't want to go to places that play it.

Jock if I were 5 or 10 years younger I would probably see things totally different but I can't help the age I am and the period that my best years on the scene cover.  So that's what I compare things to, obviously.  I wouldn't go around telling people who went to the Cats or Torch that Wigan was better, because I was too young to go to those venues.  You can only refer to what you actually know from experience.

Social source share

The three generation thing is ignored by a lot of those who just did the early years, and as Jocko pointed out, some dismiss the 30 years that followed - Look at The 100 Club alone - Incredible!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Where Next Musically it said .... so as a record collector who spins a few tunes (like a lot of us) I use the opportunity at the place of my residency. As there's 3 of us we rotate before the main guest and every 3 months and I can't wait for my 8.30 slot as it's a chance to play anything but a classic - as they are called!!!

I'm trying to get eyes opened to a period circa 1959 to say mid 60's that gave us hundreds of records that have been played out but never migrated to the big ticket or classic status for whatever reason.

Some genres that apply are doo wop/northern, hard soul, r'n'b or whatever else you want to call them but ultimately they are records that progressed into the basis of Northern Soul. Some are even ballads! So I guess they could become 'enders'

I consider it nowt more than an underplayed session and yes people do come up and ask what the record was. We are all hearing things we had forgotten about or simply passed by and I defy anyone to say they have heard every 'soul' (whatever genre it belongs to) tune from 1959 to the late sixties.

Later on at say the 11 o'clock session I play to the floor/beer intake call it what you will - classics, Motown and well 'known' r'n'b and that is what people are happy with - even the young students that sometimes attend as it's all new to them! 

Things that have failed though have been funk, non classic modern and too much crossover. If that is just how it is then fine but I guess it is replicated at many events.

I went to a well known place in London recently and whilst the night was great and very across the board a session of latino, funky freakbeat stuff killed me off and I just didn't feel compelled to even ask about one with a view to seeking it out so I guess, as many have said previously, it is all down to taste and preference and I buy right across the board every week!!

Not rare, big ticket or main hall classics, but current faves - The Paramounts - Under Your Spell 1964 and The Vals - I'm Stepping Out With My Memories 1964 say it all for me and if it's a case of back to the future mode then that's fine by me and maybe that's why we get so excited about unreleased early 60's surfacing.

There really is so much more Northern Soul to be played on original vinyl only.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If you're hearing freakbeat then it can't have been a northern do....probably one that advertises rnb Latin mod etc etc.Re the pre 65 sounds and ballads.Probably my worse nightmare.Had enough of this in the eighties and nineties.When I dj its uptempo all the way with a midtempo at the end.Most of the music is post 66 when the labels were throwing the kitchen sink in with brass sections..strings...melodies and great productions.Rnb Latin etc etc...are not on the radar but some seventies is.The stuff Pete talked about earlier.No wishy washy hi hat n cymbal nonsense.

Social source share

If you're hearing freakbeat then it can't have been a northern do....probably one that advertises rnb Latin mod etc etc.Re the pre 65 sounds and ballads.Probably my worse nightmare.Had enough of this in the eighties and nineties.When I dj its uptempo all the way with a midtempo at the end.Most of the music is post 66 when the labels were throwing the kitchen sink in with brass sections..strings...melodies and great productions.Rnb Latin etc etc...are not on the radar but some seventies is.The stuff Pete talked about earlier.No wishy washy hi hat n cymbal nonsense.

So you would only play records like Melvin Davis I must love you , Yum Yums Gonna be a big thing, Jackey Beavers I need my baby, Denise Lasalle A love reputation et al as enders ?

My favourite period would be 1964 through to around 75 but I'm happy listening to good tunes from any period - as for the future as long as it's Black music and imaginative DJs I'll be happy. 

Cheers

Manus

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I have got Melvin Davis and Denise Laselle..I've also got Soul Bros inc but I wouldn't play Melvin or Soul Bros until the end.Yum Yums is on the uptempo side.The Zola Taylor acetate I have mentioned below is mid tempo so I wouldn't play it mid set.You can only have so many enders!!

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

first of all best thread on here on ages. Got to say that a great deal of the debate seems to be about expectations, there are the majority now who attend ns event to not only hear traditional northern soul all night, but also expect to here a really quite rigid selection of top 100 NS tunes. For these anything outside that expectation is a disappointment. There are others who are ready to except music outside that definition so long as its dancable and has a poppy, up, sound, look at examples like;  tribute to betty, that shiting other tribute record!!!! urgh! and even the aforementioned vocal of double barrell. For anyone who's a little jaded of hearing the salvadors, again and, like me, is non to keen on the commercial sounding flavour of the month, what's a DJ going to play that would provide any interest whatsoever?

I went to an event in stoke a couple of months, it was in a bar full of 25- 35 year old non soul scensters, LOL. I heard a local dj play an hour of classic northern oldies to an empty dancefloor, with not so much as a foot being tapped, Johnny Beggs stepped into the fore, whipping up a latin storm and well, all the girls got up and danced to 'use it before' ....' pow wow' , 'Willie Rossario' ect, he moved into R and B, hard soul and funk later, keeping them on the floor and where the girls are the lads follow. It could of just been timing but I don't think so, I just cant imagine Classic northern generating the level of interest Johnny's uncomprimising mix of styles did. I love Northern, it generates a passion in me that no other music can match and more importantly it was a gateway into a miriad of styles that I also adore. but Like paul if think the best nights are now 'off the scene' where others have that shared expectation of hearing exciting fresh tunes whatever there genre. 

You sure this was stoke & not london 20 + years ago and it was Ady & Randy behind the decks whippin up a storm, I seem to remember that iwas a disilusioned northern fan at thetime aged 25 to 35 fed up with overplayed oldies, what a breath of fresh air it was

Garry

Social source share

I have got Melvin Davis and Denise Laselle..I've also got Soul Bros inc but I wouldn't play Melvin or Soul Bros until the end.Yum Yums is on the uptempo side.The Zola Taylor acetate I have mentioned below is mid tempo so I wouldn't play it mid set.You can only have so many enders!!

Fair enough - tis the strange world of Northern Soul indeed and many differing opinions as I would have thought Melvin Davis , Denise Lasalle and Soul Bros Inc could be played at anytime in a set and have been but to each their own.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Bloody hell my worst nightmare, think i'll stay up north

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I guess the topic is about where or what kind of style next  and not just about a new tunes to our ears... .

One mans new tune can be a standard to others... :hatsoff2:

totaly aggree. i remember this being big early 80s but where

Social source share

Fair enough - tis the strange world of Northern Soul indeed and many differing opinions as I would have thought Melvin Davis , Denise Lasalle and Soul Bros Inc could be played at anytime in a set and have been but to each their own.

Cheers

Manus

Absolutely "the strange world of Northern Soul".......I have started many a set with Soul Bros Inc, and it has 'worked' every time - yes, "each to their own"

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

.......another phrase I cringe at being used is 'Hand Baggers' - If that ain't patronising, what is?

All the best,

Hey Len, Dont Know if you noticed but there are blokes with HAND BAGS / SHOULDER BAGS at some venues.

Garry

See u in the den on saturday mate, Or on here Soul in the bowl Rushden Northamptonshire

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

How about northern soul?? Mid to late sixties uptempo music that is based on the Motown beat...is that too radical??

Hopefully the oldies scene will have got sick of the same records being played over and over again and start digging for all the great northern records with the uptempo beat that fell through the cracks.

There is loads of well known oldies that don't are hardly ever get played these days,and that includes cheapies as well as expensive ones.For the new people on the scene in the last 20 years or so,it would be a breath of fresh air for them.There is tons that dont get played you could revive,before they fade into obscurity forever.It has always baffled me why nobody revives some of these records.

Stu.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I bet if we dug about in the C&W scene there would be some records with the right sound, definitely.

once again too late, Ed Bruce, And many others

Social source share

To Stu...that's what I've been collecting over the last few years...those records that fell through the cracks from.the rapid turnover of new sounds...some cheap and some expensive.I've just opened a package containing Abstract Reality Love Burns Like A Fire inside...when did you last hear that out??

Social source share

I think this topic shows that the soul scene is a funny old thing. Kind of ridiculous in a way. Everyone grouped in together under the banner of northern soul.

So many strong opinions about what is acceptable and what's not. I've read some extremely intelligent and well thought out posts and they are instantly dismissed by others as shite.

Everyone has their own take on what the scene stands for. I suppose the passion is what keeps us all under this crazy tag line of northern soul.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

To Stu...that's what I've been collecting over the last few years...those records that fell through the cracks from.the rapid turnover of new sounds...some cheap and some expensive.I've just opened a package containing Abstract Reality Love Burns Like A Fire inside...when did you last hear that out??

Never, thankfully... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is loads of well known oldies that don't are hardly ever get played these days,and that includes cheapies as well as expensive ones.For the new people on the scene in the last 20 years or so,it would be a breath of fresh air for them.There is tons that dont get played you could revive,before they fade into obscurity forever.It has always baffled me why nobody revives some of these records.

Stu.

Probably because the records you are talking about have never been on a 90's goldmine cd track list,

that's why the vociferous ones wont allow them to be played

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I think this topic shows that the soul scene is a funny old thing. Kind of ridiculous in a way. Everyone grouped in toge

So many strong opinions about what is acceptable and what's not. I've read some extremely intelligent and well thought out posts and they are instantly dismissed by others as shite.

Everyone has their own take on what the scene stands for. I suppose the passion is what keeps us all under this crazy tag line of northern soul.

My opinion is keep    on burnin  as that was the findin new stuf and when i first heard it play

Social source share

Guest penny

I think the problem with R & B is that they went too far back to the point where it was actually black rock & roll.  There were lots of great early 60's R & B tracks being played originally but in the search for more obscure tunes, they delved back even deeper - the nadir must surely be playing Tennesse Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons" from 1955 at a Northern Soul night.

When did it get played at a northern soul night? Wasnt it in an r&b room at a northern soul night? And if so it's not completely alien to the genre, there's plenty of r&b versions of the song, and apart from anything else, its a good piece of music. R&b rooms play plenty of stuff from the mid 50s too, joanne henderson, rose mitchell from 53...Carl willingham used to play the 16 tons influenced 'minimum wage' by bk anderson, didnt hear much outcry then, because it's rarer?

Any genre has music on the margins that is fun to play sometimes, god knows northern soul has its share of pop, novelty type stuff that happened to gave the right beat and feel, and in my opinion, is better for it.

Theres nothing like purism for sucking the fun out of shit. And as someone who was invloved with the r&b scene, we played stuff from the 50s because it was good, not just to find new stuff. R&b is a 50s genre really, in that it peaked in that decade, the 60s stuff is just that which also appealed to soul fans sometimes.

Social source share

When did it get played at a northern soul night? Wasnt it in an r&b room at a northern soul night? And if so it's not completely alien to the genre, there's plenty of r&b versions of the song, and apart from anything else, its a good piece of music. R&b rooms play plenty of stuff from the mid 50s too, joanne henderson, rose mitchell from 53...Carl willingham used to play the 16 tons influenced 'minimum wage' by bk anderson, didnt hear much outcry then, because it's rarer?

Any genre has music on the margins that is fun to play sometimes, god knows northern soul has its share of pop, novelty type stuff that happened to gave the right beat and feel, and in my opinion, is better for it.

Theres nothing like purism for sucking the fun out of shit. And as someone who was invloved with the r&b scene, we played stuff from the 50s because it was good, not just to find new stuff. R&b is a 50s genre really, in that it peaked in that decade, the 60s stuff is just that which also appealed to soul fans sometimes.

Play lots of 50's top 10 hits do you? You just want an argument. I like R&B.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest penny

Play lots of 50's top 10 hits do you? You just want an argument. Have one with someone else.

No, of course its an exceptional thing to play in an r&b club, in that its a country record, and in that its a hit, but then its exceptional to find a 50s hit country record that's so good, so in general were dealing with exceptions. Which is why its disingenuous to use it as an example of the r&b scene nadir in the first place.

Always worth noting, when 'pop-bashing', and you should appreciate this pete, that a good pop track is better than a crap soul track, and 100s of those get tolerated.

Social source share

No, of course its an exceptional thing to play in an r&b club, in that its a country record, and in that its a hit, but then its exceptional to find a 50s hit country record that's so good, so in general were dealing with exceptions. Which is why its disingenuous to use it as an example of the r&b scene nadir in the first place.

Always worth noting, when 'pop-bashing', and you should appreciate this pete, that a good pop track is better than a crap soul track, and 100s of those get tolerated.

Honestly you don't need to lecture me about pop music, I get hammered by half the people on here for daring to like any UK recordings on British labels.

But if I was to play a Motown top 3 hit in the middle of a rare soul set, heads would turn.

If you get people saying about a venue - yeah it was good but they played (insert pop hit), it's inevitably going to put people off.  I think so anyway.

Social source share

Stu.

Spot on.

The reason they're not revived at typical oldies nights Stu is that if a record is not in the established core of "200" records that get hammered ad nauseum then they just arent given a chance. As Dekka says there is a vocal element who wont allow it and if, god forbid a DJ empties the floor, then its the end of civilisation as we know it - bags slung over the shoulder and out they troop :huh:

Hence Dj's wont take a chance on these records for fear of emptying the floor and they play safe instead of taking a chance.

A lot of these records are played in small pockets, you have to know where to go but I can't see things ever changing for the majority

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Len, Dont Know if you noticed but there are blokes with HAND BAGS / SHOULDER BAGS at some venues.

Garry

See u in the den on saturday mate, Or on here Soul in the bowl Rushden Northamptonshire

He he, Hi Garry, yes, but you know what I mean - As you know mate, some of these 'so called' Handbaggers are now visiting 'The Den' and thoroughly enjoying themselves - I think this has lots to do with not 'forcing' the music on them - They are more than welcome to visit 'The Den' if they choose to, and I think that type of 'vibe' has made them feel welcome.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: (of 'The Den')

Social source share

I think this topic shows that the soul scene is a funny old thing. Kind of ridiculous in a way. Everyone grouped in together under the banner of northern soul.

Yeh - But I'm right!!! :lol: 

This thread has been most enjoyable for the reasons you have indicated - 'You lot' may have terrible taste in music, what with ya 'Uptempo Sh*te' and ya 'R'n'B Sh*te'......but I genuinely love you all - No matter how scary some of you may be! :D

All the 'very' best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I have to say 'going a bit left field' is what is needed sometimes to keep it all interesting.....

......As for 'sucking the fun out sh*t'......We all stopped enjoying ourselves years ago - Catch up! :lol: 

All the best,

Social source share

Guest penny

Honestly you don't need to lecture me about pop music, I get hammered by half the people on here for daring to like any UK recordings on British labels.

But if I was to play a Motown top 3 hit in the middle of a rare soul set, heads would turn.

If you get people saying about a venue - yeah it was good but they played (insert pop hit), it's inevitably going to put people off.  I think so anyway.

Aye fair point.

Social source share

I think you may be surprised there Pete - I started my set last Saturday with 'Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine'......others in the set included - 'Otis Lee - Hard Roe To Hoe', 'The Parisions - Twinkle Little Star'..........and 'Chic - Good Times'.....Work that b*stard out! :D (All true, and it worked a treat)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If you get people saying about a venue - yeah it was good but they played (insert pop hit), it's inevitably going to put people off.  I think so anyway

.....I agree with this, but the people it puts off are those that miss the point!

Social source share

Guest penny

I always wonder about people who only want to hear what they know - how did they ever get to know it?

And if they're reliving the best time in their life, why not relive the open-mindedness that went with it.

I guess people who only associate music with certain activities or memories dont really like music do they? Shame for such an incredible cultural phenomenon as soul music to be represented by such people.

Social source share

I always wonder about people who only want to hear what they know - how did they ever get to know it?

And if they're reliving the best time in their life, why not relive the open-mindedness that went with it.

I guess people who only associate music with certain activities or memories dont really like music do they? Shame for such an incredible cultural phenomenon as soul music to be represented by such people.

Wise words indeed.... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Where Next "musically"?

...to a gig methinks....check these 'good times' out!!!x Got a newbie to bring lenny....but I will insist she leaves her handbag at home ok!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

...ere Penny.....SOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooome People say a maaaan....I got that and The Wanderer on a 78...as well as 45....'quaity' gear.....along with this....which i;d have loved to have played at the 100 club.......i;d have danced.....no handbag required.!!!!xhehe!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSGEEswmqQ

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You sure this was stoke & not london 20 + years ago and it was Ady & Randy behind the decks whippin up a storm, I seem to remember that iwas a disilusioned northern fan at thetime aged 25 to 35 fed up with overplayed oldies, what a breath of fresh air it was

Garry

no but that's where I got my taste for it too gary. 

Social source share

Spot on.

The reason they're not revived at typical oldies nights Stu is that if a record is not in the established core of "200" records that get hammered ad nauseum then they just arent given a chance. As Dekka says there is a vocal element who wont allow it and if, god forbid a DJ empties the floor, then its the end of civilisation as we know it - bags slung over the shoulder and out they troop :huh:

Hence Dj's wont take a chance on these records for fear of emptying the floor and they play safe instead of taking a chance.

A lot of these records are played in small pockets, you have to know where to go but I can't see things ever changing for the majority

its a really strange concept to me, people only dancing to records they know. and that's what northern has become, a record rather than a music based scene.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Surely the music will continue to evolve but dependent upon DJ innovation. There are still oldies out there waiting to be discovered and broken. Forgotten oldies could be revived. Northern Pop could feature at Friday after-work venues to bring in the younger brigade. The scene has to stay full-on Northern to retain it's appeal and followers, but a little bit of RnB or Crossover is uplifting when played at the right time and it pulls folk onto the dance floor. Some B sides that are too slow could be pitched up to near mid-tempo for that slow- shuffle between faster tracks. Untried Beat and Blue Eyed Soul may revive the Wheel feeling. Even some of the US Garage 45's could pass muster. The possibilities are endless but hard- core Northern is here for good and will always be the bedrock of the scene.

KTF

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Untried Beat and Blue Eyed Soul may revive the Wheel feeling.

KTF

At last someone with the same ideas as me, Cos that's exactly what I play out.

That is definitely the direction 'musically' for me.

Early 6t's British beat and blue eyed soul will be what I will play at the York alldayer in August

and is what I playout at 'Time for Action' in Newark.

Social source share

its a really strange concept to me, people only dancing to records they know. and that's what northern has become, a record rather than a music based scene.

Its a really strange concept to me that people can dance to records they don't know.  You have no idea where and when the breaks will occur or any little nuances that may be written in.  Unless of course the music you are dancing to is that predictable as it follows 'the pattern'.

Can you imagine dancing to The Crow - Your Autumn Of Tomorrow having never heard it ?

I am all in favour of hearing new stuff but its the genre of Music that I have a penchant for. New older stuff ( new to me that is ) but not Funk, heavy R&B, Ska and deffo not Latin.

We are approaching Spaghetti Junction and there are numerous roads you could take. Take the brand new Super Highway if you want to, I'm happy with my little B Road into the Old Town.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was thinking of playing British beat as well...Crawdaddy Simone by the Syndicates and You Said by The Primitives both having northern soul appeal.lol

British beat but not exactly Northern, however, tunes I would play to a Mod crowd

Social source share

when we started our club 5 1/2 years back in bristol a couple of the residents (who through their choice are no longer with us) played british beat..at the beginning it was just our mates mainly scooterists,record collectors and a few soulies...as the years went on and the crowd got bigger to be honest the british beat did clear the floor on the whole and weve always had a more open minded bunch at our nights...some crackin stuff but like a lot of the funky stuff...only a small amount really into it...went to london new years eve to vava voom and the psych room was heaving all night though...but good luck with it!

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It appears 'Time for Action' is at a place you were 5 1/2 years ago Dean.

Have our night every 3 months so not flogging it to death but with our other DJ's playing a variety of genre's it's something myself and all our DJ's are enthusiastic about.

Played British Beat out in York a few months ago and was immediately invited to the York alldayer in August.

Edited by dekka
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!