John Manships Auction Results 5-6-2013

8066_1sm.jpg8066_1sm.jpg8066_2sm.jpg
Gene Chandler (i'm Just A) Fool For You - Instrumental

You are about to witness a WORLD ONE-OFF Northern Soul masterpiece!

The 1966 instrumental version of Gene Chandler’s - Constellation 167 release.

The session credits read like a “Who’s Who” of Chicago Soul! Written by Gerald Sims, co-written & produced by Carl Davis; The soaring strings arranged by Sonny Sanders. All under the supervision of Bunky Bill Sheppard.

A KILLER tune that will grace the winner with an exclusive; and please let it be a DJ cause this needs to be heard, loud at a packed all-nighter. As this is Northern Soul instrumental time at it very, very rarest and most impressive.

A renowned NS collector David Skeen sums it up so aptly with a facebook message “That Gene Chandler is sublime haven’t heard anything as good as that for a long long time… it’s got the lot!!!!!”

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 2,314.00

8069_1sm.jpg8069_1sm.jpg8069_2sm.jpg
Vibrations Shake It Up C/w Make It Last

The Vibrations rarest soul 45, is another product of their Philadelphia years.

Why this 45 is so rare is a mystery but I can count on one hand the number of copies I’ve had the pleasure of listing throughout my lifetime and having only ever found a solitary copy whilst digging, was near 20 years ago, whilst in Hawaii searching for records, I can vouch for it’s serious elusiveness.

Topside is a dance trophy just drenched in quality. With everything Philly just dripping from every note, with Vince Montana’s string arrangement decorating the background. For a long time a London area monster, now surely perfect to rock the Northern Soul upfront scene recently invigorated by an injection of FUNKY tunes.

Flip it over for another Philly masterpiece a vocal-group stroller from the constantly occupied pens of Thom Bell & Linda Creed again embellished by Vince Montana & Alan Felder no expense spared W.M.O.T. production.

Both sides are frighteningly good… but even scarier is it’s rarity!

The winning bid was £ 204.00

8056_1sm.jpg8056_1sm.jpg8056_2sm.jpg
Tony Middleton To The Ends Of The Earth C/w Don't Ever Leave Me

What a label vista!

This excruciatingly rare and beautiful 1966 Australian release. Offering two sides of the Big City Sound at it’s most convincing.

Check out the rumblin’ vocal of Mr. Tony Middleton an icon of the Northern Soul scene, lust over the label, then consider would you enjoy ownership of this 47 year old in utterly perfect condition.

Silly question wasn’t it?

The winning bid was £ 243.00

8068_1sm.jpg8068_1sm.jpg8068_2sm.jpg
Steve Parks Movin' In The Right Direction C/w All In A Day

Very Rare Bay Area modern soul dancer, that for many years was thought to be a LP track only

Solid Smoke apparently only pressed a ridiculously small amount, putting all their efforts into promoting the Steve Parks Solid Smoke 8012 album with the 45 disappearing without trace.

The side we lead with was originally the flip, is a subtle production with an easy intro that gently build up pace and substance with a persistent jazzy guitar riff, joined by smooth horns, flute and Mr. Parks emotional vocal.

PURE CLASS - RARE CLASS!

The winning bid was £ 263.00

Social source share

8073_1sm.jpg8073_1sm.jpg8073_2sm.jpg
Willie Kendrick Change You Ways C/w What's That On Your Finger

It’s BLACK

It’s IMMACULATE

It’s PIED PIPER

it’s DETROIT at it best!

it’s has TWO SIDES to die for..

It could be yours

click the soundfile - cast your gaze over the label scan

resist if you can..

The winning bid was £ 537.00

8057_1sm.jpg8057_1sm.jpg8057_2sm.jpg
Romona Collins You've Been Cheating C/w Now That You've Gone

This is extremely elusive and relentlessly sought “TM-4320-1” mix with the desirable long instrumental intro.

Street-level Toledo, Ohio Northern Soul dancer from this single record artist. Surprising really as the lady has an exquisite vocal, with an ease of range that develops throughout the record, as she defiantly announces she’s leaving “and ain’t coming back”. and uncredited heavy-duty girl-group backing support to her annoyance.

I’m a big fan of recordings where the girl shows the guy “the Door” and Ramona does it so well with that “spike” in her voice.

Just to remind you this is the LONG intro rarity, not the shortened take that received a brief release the “Sevens” label.

Vinyl is neat and clean, plays beautifully as you can hear. A-side label is excellent, flip side label has a light water stain induced ring wear - see scan.

The winning bid was £ 1,824.00

8064_1sm.jpg8064_1sm.jpg8064_2sm.jpg8064_3sm.jpg8064_4sm.jpg
Jr. Walker And The All Stars Shotgun

1965 UK mono press, covering Junior’s early work Motown’s Soul label.

Including: Soul Club favourites like: Tune Up, Ain’t That The truth, Shotgun, Roadrunner, Monkey jump etc. Every track driven by Junior’s “out-of-step- with-Motown” rasping vocal and crazed sax blows, that became Autry DeWalt’s signature, that would give him near 15 years of hits.

This his first album captures the very essence of the man and his 3 teammates.

This mono copy, has 2 immaculate vinyls, 2 flawless label. Back cover only reveals light age-browning - totally free of writing, stains or tears. Front cover is clean also, only light occasional laminate veins. Top left hand corner reveals a light surface scuff. Still retains inner-sleeve - completing a fine copy.

Hard to find non-hit 12 tracker - essential British Motown Collecting!

The winning bid was £ 54.00

8060_1sm.jpg8060_1sm.jpg8060_2sm.jpg
Bob Relf Blowing My Mind To Pieces C/w Girl, You're My Kind Of Wonderful

A record for those of you who seek the rarest format of the very best Northern Soul ever played.

Northern Soul legend has it, that the first copy discovered was taken to “The Torch” and given to a DJ who, when the slow middle bit starts, took it off the decks! (if anyone can add names to that story I’ll be glad to tell it).

Lou “Gone With The Wind Is My Love” Barretto’s song recovered from it’s early-dismissal, to rise to the most popular of Northern Soul crowd-pleasers circa ‘72 thru ‘75.

Invariably seen as the ORANGE label original, bootlegged using the seldom seen YELLOW label as a template, which follows in sequence in colour and style to the previous from #0007 & 0008 releases.

In 2013 the YELLOW label original with it’s light gloss paper finish is seldom seen for sale - perhaps rarer in our experience than the orange variation by at a ratio of 50 to 1. One for the Northern Soul classic hunters, who seek there vinyl in it’s rarest format, and of course label run collectors who appreciate continuity.

This copy is utterly flawless - having never met a Northern Soul jock before, with no fear of rejection this time round.

The winning bid was £ 185.00

Social source share

8065_1sm.jpg8065_1sm.jpg8065_2sm.jpg8065_3sm.jpg8065_4sm.jpg
Vibrations Vibrations

One of the greatest five-man gatherings in the history of Soul Music with their very RARE 1972 UK release of a 11 track 1971 Philadelphia recordings.

NOTE: for some strange reason this LP was NOT issued in the USA.

This album showcases their Philadelphia duration for Mandala Records which lead vocalist Carl Fisher wrote most of the material for.

Includes a great non-45 Northern Soul dance-track “Man Overboard”. Plus a spectacular sweet soul sensation “Take A Step” + several Funk grooves. Check out the sample sound-file provided from this near mint flawless British beauty!

And wonder why such a great album was ignored by it’s USA counterpart?

The winning bid was £ 51.00

8076_1sm.jpg8076_1sm.jpg8076_2sm.jpg8076_3sm.jpg8076_4sm.jpg
Home Of The Blues July 1966 No. 3

Way before the egotistical boast of “I only collected records by black artists” came the groundbreaking prejudice-free fanzine “Home Of The Blues” the steppingstone for what was to become the world renowned “Blues & Soul”.

Jerry Lee Lewis on the front cover of the rare issue #3 from July 1966 but inside is a feast of Northern Soul history from an embryonic scene as it was then.

Documenting unique groups like “Rick n’ Beckers” a 5 man black artist Soul band tipped for major success as they bring the house down at the legendary Dean street, London club THE TILES. Unfortunately Rupert Carlton Alfonso Cahar, Eugent Stirling, Ernie wright, Abe Strean & Clive Williamson as a band never cut a record.

Edition 3 also covers Roy C’s new 45 and his “Tiles” performance June 9th. 1966.

Jerry Lee Lewis bio and new release for the Smash label & their UK counterparts on Philips.

Ben E. King bio & discography, plus review of his “Tiles” performance May 23rd 1966m + two pics (see scans)

Jimmy Reed Bio, discography covering fully 5 pages.

1966 new releases from the USA! plus some most interesting reviews on the British new release soul 45s - (scans provided)

This rare edition #3 is in stunning immaculate condition throughout.

The winning bid was £ 61.00

8059_1sm.jpg8059_1sm.jpg8059_2sm.jpg
Robin Rice I've Had It C/w Wanted

The original 3 11-2 863 mix

A monster double-helping of the BIG CITY SOUND. This is BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN twice over! Both sides shudder with the mighty influence of Tony Bruno, a maestro of the atmospheric mid-paced New York production.

Note this is not only the FIRST 1962 label it is also a far grander version to the SUE distributed 1963 Crackerjack 4016 release, which unfortunately loses so much in an attempt to update the sound.

Not only rare, authentic, powerful & superior - but also in PERFECT condition, finding this record utterly flawless is insanely difficult.

The winning bid was £ 166.00

8072_1sm.jpg8072_1sm.jpg8072_2sm.jpg8072_3sm.jpg8072_4sm.jpg
Danny White Keep My Woman Home C/w I'm Dedicating My Life

British SUE addicts, serial up-graders and O.C.D vinyl nuerotics seeking perfection, pay attention.

You will NOT find a finer copy of this Twisted Wheel anthem on it’s British release than the one before you today. Perhaps UNPLAYED before the soundfile was lifted, still snugly tucked away in those glossy 60s sleeves that most of their releases hit the shops in. (UK Sue company sleeves were not always used) in fact more often than not SUE left the factory in these plain gloss finish sleeves - some with wavy tops some with straight tops.

This listing after very careful inspection show not sign of spindle contact with two perfect labels, vinyl forensics reveal only the lightest of sleeve brush blemishes.

A strong clean MINT minus in all respect and absolutely the finest copy I’ve seen.

The winning bid was £ 139.00

Social source share

8058_1sm.jpg8058_1sm.jpg8058_2sm.jpg
Harvey Averne Dozen I Never Learned To Dance C/w Dynamite

Popularised at London’s 100 Club in the 1980s, reincarnated with a bang in the 90s and reborn yet again in recent years, this 1971 latin boogaloo gem ensures a teeming dancefloor like no other and is probably the most in-demand of its genre on the northern soul circuit right now. This is legendary release number 007 on Up-Tite, and rarest issue on the label, treasured by DJs, collectors & dancers alike.

Jewish New Yorker Averne demonstrates his lifelong passion for latin rhythms in the writing, with arrangement by master-trumpeter Marty Sheller, and vocal from Kenny Seymour Snr. (of Little Anthony & The Imperials) loudly lamenting the neglect he’s suffering from his girl since she learned to dance. The instantly recognisable singular bass riff intro sends dancers sprinting to the floor, where the track explodes into life with staccato horns and funky piano, interspersed with that repeating riff that gives more than a nod to Archie Bell’s Tighten Up. With ‘stop on a sixpence’ breaks throughout to satisfy the most demanding dancers, the infectious beat is incessant until Kenny’s final gasping ad-libs.

Flip is a meaty “Funkier” groove - that’s worth a moment of your time also.

Vinyl condition has a few surface blemishes, not scratches more signs of over-enthusiastic handling as it’s retrieved from the turntable. Check out the perfect double soundfile lifted from this crucial disc.

The winning bid was £ 690.00

8070_1sm.jpg8070_1sm.jpg8070_2sm.jpg
Dee Dee Warwick Worth Every Tear I Cry

I think this is Dee Dee’s greatest offering to Northern Soul and it’s a UK ONLY 45 release.

Click the soundfile and listen to an Angel deliver her best with the aid of some of 60s soul most-talented controllers. Written and arranged by Horace Ott, Produced by Motown tutored Robert Bateman and his long time workmate Robert Moseley.

This is the only way to own it - and this copy is utterly flawless!

The winning bid was £ 222.00

8071_1sm.jpg8071_1sm.jpg8071_2sm.jpg
Milton And Winston (hall) You Lied C/w My Love Starts Tumbling Down

Prepare yourself for the most infectious slice of soul you could ever wish upons your ears.

Distant horns reverberate to lay a trail for the Hall’s (Milton & Winston) to follow, a tinkling piano chatters away in the background with the duo complimenting this unique arrangement with high-pitched-vocal and echoing vocal chorus.

TOTALLY BRILLIANT! and the fipside is good too..

Not only a very elusive 45 but also never seen in such glorious condition. Our last and only other copy some 10 years ago was in awful condition, label and vinyl trashed and we had collectors begging to own it.. but who could blame - this tune has everything it takes to never leave your head…

The winning bid was £ 380.00

Social source share

8065_1sm.jpg8065_1sm.jpg8065_2sm.jpg8065_3sm.jpg8065_4sm.jpg
Vibrations Vibrations

One of the greatest five-man gatherings in the history of Soul Music with their very RARE 1972 UK release of a 11 track 1971 Philadelphia recordings.

NOTE: for some strange reason this LP was NOT issued in the USA.

This album showcases their Philadelphia duration for Mandala Records which lead vocalist Carl Fisher wrote most of the material for.

Includes a great non-45 Northern Soul dance-track “Man Overboard”. Plus a spectacular sweet soul sensation “Take A Step” + several Funk grooves. Check out the sample sound-file provided from this near mint flawless British beauty!

And wonder why such a great album was ignored by it’s USA counterpart?

The winning bid was £ 51.00

8076_1sm.jpg8076_1sm.jpg8076_2sm.jpg8076_3sm.jpg8076_4sm.jpg
Home Of The Blues July 1966 No. 3

Way before the egotistical boast of “I only collected records by black artists” came the groundbreaking prejudice-free fanzine “Home Of The Blues” the steppingstone for what was to become the world renowned “Blues & Soul”.

Jerry Lee Lewis on the front cover of the rare issue #3 from July 1966 but inside is a feast of Northern Soul history from an embryonic scene as it was then.

Documenting unique groups like “Rick n’ Beckers” a 5 man black artist Soul band tipped for major success as they bring the house down at the legendary Dean street, London club THE TILES. Unfortunately Rupert Carlton Alfonso Cahar, Eugent Stirling, Ernie wright, Abe Strean & Clive Williamson as a band never cut a record.

Edition 3 also covers Roy C’s new 45 and his “Tiles” performance June 9th. 1966.

Jerry Lee Lewis bio and new release for the Smash label & their UK counterparts on Philips.

Ben E. King bio & discography, plus review of his “Tiles” performance May 23rd 1966m + two pics (see scans)

Jimmy Reed Bio, discography covering fully 5 pages.

1966 new releases from the USA! plus some most interesting reviews on the British new release soul 45s - (scans provided)

This rare edition #3 is in stunning immaculate condition throughout.

The winning bid was £ 61.00

8059_1sm.jpg8059_1sm.jpg8059_2sm.jpg
Robin Rice I've Had It C/w Wanted

The original 3 11-2 863 mix

A monster double-helping of the BIG CITY SOUND. This is BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN twice over! Both sides shudder with the mighty influence of Tony Bruno, a maestro of the atmospheric mid-paced New York production.

Note this is not only the FIRST 1962 label it is also a far grander version to the SUE distributed 1963 Crackerjack 4016 release, which unfortunately loses so much in an attempt to update the sound.

Not only rare, authentic, powerful & superior - but also in PERFECT condition, finding this record utterly flawless is insanely difficult.

The winning bid was £ 166.00

8072_1sm.jpg8072_1sm.jpg8072_2sm.jpg8072_3sm.jpg8072_4sm.jpg
Danny White Keep My Woman Home C/w I'm Dedicating My Life

British SUE addicts, serial up-graders and O.C.D vinyl nuerotics seeking perfection, pay attention.

You will NOT find a finer copy of this Twisted Wheel anthem on it’s British release than the one before you today. Perhaps UNPLAYED before the soundfile was lifted, still snugly tucked away in those glossy 60s sleeves that most of their releases hit the shops in. (UK Sue company sleeves were not always used) in fact more often than not SUE left the factory in these plain gloss finish sleeves - some with wavy tops some with straight tops.

This listing after very careful inspection show not sign of spindle contact with two perfect labels, vinyl forensics reveal only the lightest of sleeve brush blemishes.

A strong clean MINT minus in all respect and absolutely the finest copy I’ve seen.

The winning bid was £ 139.00

Picked up Danny White and a Theola Kilgore record both on Sue from a bargain shop 1970 or slightly earlier. I choose these on the strength of other Sue releases played in Scunthorpe at the time. When played, I thought they were crap and threw them in the dustbin.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

a real question: why did the gene chandler go so high? is the demand for the instrumental version of that track really high? like people want to DJ with the instrumental? honest question, not looking for a "people are idiots" type of answer. thanks in advance.

Edited by boba
Social source share

a real question: why did the gene chandler go so high? is the demand for the instrumental version of that track really high? like people want to DJ with the instrumental? honest question, not looking for a "people are idiots" type of answer. thanks in advance.

I can't think of a reason.  These unissued instrumentals usually go for £200 to £400.  I remember selling the instrumental of Marva lee - If You Can't Be True for a couple of hundred.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Butch plays an instrumental of the Walter Wilson track on Wand which sounds far better that the vocal at a venue IMO

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can't think of a reason.  These unissued instrumentals usually go for £200 to £400.  I remember selling the instrumental of Marva lee - If You Can't Be True for a couple of hundred.

thats right pete..at best a few hundred quid for ANY instrumental....but to be honest that particular tune is only good WITH genes vocal over it!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A renowned NS collector David Skeen sums it up so aptly with a facebook message “That Gene Chandler is sublime haven’t heard anything as good as that for a long long time… it’s got the lot!!!!!”

There's a name I haven't seen for a while...what's Dave up to nowadays...still in the UK?

The price...amazing...not exactly a scintilating backing track imo, but each to their own...certainly now the most expensive instrumental to date!

:g:

Social source share

I like the instrumental better than the vocal.  The production/arrangement is a lot stronger, and I feel this lifts it from being an average record.

Social source share

There's a name I haven't seen for a while...what's Dave up to nowadays...still in the UK?

The price...amazing...not exactly a scintilating backing track imo, but each to their own...certainly now the most expensive instrumental to date!

:g:

Dave still about and living in Newcastle at the moment.  I think he said he is moving back down Notts last time I spoke to him.  You should get connected on FB David, plenty of old faces on there.  I'll mention you to him next time we speak.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!