The Driffters

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What is your fav song by them mine is Kissing in the Back Row of the Movies but also would be intrested in any Northern made by them apart from You Gotta Pay Your Dues

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Rich

Baby what i mean & the outside world & on broadway & loads of others,

'Silk Stockings' is an awesome beater :ohmy:

and 'Up jumped the devil' is a rather nice 'Detroit' mid-tempo affair. cool.gif

Social source share

What is your fav song by them mine is Kissing in the Back Row of the Movies but also would be intrested in any Northern made by them apart from You Gotta Pay Your Dues

Harlem Child....my wife Sue said one day this is good enough to play @ a Nighter, So I started playing it as an ending record @ the Leighton Buzzard Allnighters in the mid 80's....this is superb never seen it on a single,available on Drifters Greatest Hits, which you should pick up @ Woolworths or I have even seen in a Petrol Station....I have a sound file I will try & find & post later....

Jon Buck

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Could probably get it down to about a hundred essential Drifters sides, but a few that I really love and think are particularly underrated are:

Oh My Love (Atlantic) - flip of "There Goes My Baby" and, to me, one of the first real soul group records, in that it anticipated what was to come in the 60s, rather than looking back at what preceded it in the 50s.

Every Night (UK Bell) - killer version of one of Paul McCartney's best songs (and yes, he did write a few along the way). Their first on Bell, before they started having all the hits.

White Christmas (Atlantic) - the best R & B Christmas record ever made, bar none!

Another Night With The Boys (Atlantic) - flip of "Up On The Roof". Splendidly and very soulfully melancholic! Also essayed brilliantly by Little Eva and Big Dee Irwin, on the other side of "Swingin' On A Star".

Mexican Divorce (Atlantic) - flip of "When My Little Girl Is Smiling". Like "Oh My Love" it's years ahead of its time. The fact that it features Cissy Houston and Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick among the extra backing vocalists is pure gravy!

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

Mexican Divorce (Atlantic) - flip of "When My Little Girl Is Smiling". Like "Oh My Love" it's years ahead of its time. The fact that it features Cissy Houston and Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick among the extra backing vocalists is pure gravy!

TONE :thumbsup:

written by Burt Bacharach and Bob Hilliard and produced by Leiber and Stoller. Bacharach was at the session and one aproached the other. I always include this song in my Valentine's Day lieing, cheating and a mean mistreating soul special.

On the other hand I also like their latin flavoured stuff like At The Club, (the Single Mono mix) One way love and sweets for my sweet.

Social source share

'Up In The Streets Of Harlem' (Atlantic)........quality Northern mid-tempo!

Oh yes!

:thumbsup:frusty2.gif:wicked:

Just beat me to it!

Awesome atmospheric number with a great uptempo flip in "You Can't Love Them All"

A similar (but earlier) track to "Up In The Streets" is "I'll Take You Home" from 1963.

Favourite ballad though is "I Don't Want To Go On Without You" (Flip of "Boardwalk) with Charlie Thomas on lead.

Superb!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert