Jessie Henderson 12" On Lasso

Just browsing J Manships auctions and curious to see the Lasso issue of Jessie Henderson's - I Did It Again on there. The original (possibly dubious) release was on Land Of Hits. The Lasso issue was an early 90s reissue - maybe even a bootleg.

I seem to recall the story, that it was supposed to have been released on Lasso originally but the recording was hijacked, and it surfaced briefly on Land Of Hits. The Lasso release never happened - until the early 90s when copies where around everywhere. Not sure where they came from but I always supposed they were pressed at that time.

Anyone know the full s.p., and whether or not its a worthy auction item ???

Chars Girf

PS compared to Bobby Cutchins, its pants anyway :ohmy:king.gif

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just browsing J Manships auctions and curious to see the Lasso issue of Jessie Henderson's - I Did It Again on there. The original (possibly dubious) release was on Land Of Hits. The Lasso issue was an early 90s reissue - maybe even a bootleg.

I seem to recall the story, that it was supposed to have been released on Lasso originally but the recording was hijacked, and it surfaced on briefly on Land Of Hits. The Lasso release never happened - until the early 90s when copies where around everywhere. Not sure where they came from but I always supposed they were pressed at that time.

Chars Girf

PS compared to Bobby Cutchins, its pants anyway :ohmy:king.gif

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. '1991' but I heard it at Stafford in 1985 DT or MB, can't remember. Probably DT becasue Ady Pountain put a bit of it on tape for me circa 1984. Looked on the shelf and there's the said Jesse H form 1991; can't even remember where I bought it from, but couldn't have been a fortune.

Social source share

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. '1991' but I heard it at Stafford in 1985 DT or MB, can't remember. Probably DT becasue Ady Pountain put a bit of it on tape for me circa 1984. Looked on the shelf and there's the said Jesse H form 1991; can't even remember where I bought it from, but couldn't have been a fortune.

Defo a DT biggie , not MB , as Martin said at the time Bobby Cutchins was far better ( I like both king.gif ) I was shocked to see the Lasso 12 on Manships auction too

Ivor Jones played it do death in the 90's , he so boring that bloke :ohmy:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Deffo Mr Thorley at Stafford

Like both versions to be honest !

Think the Lasso issues were ok and not boots ?

Could be wrong :ohmy:

Social source share

PS compared to Bobby Cutchins, its pants anyway laugh.gifbeer.gif

Agree with Gareth entirely - here's another prime example of the "Vanessa Kendrick Vs. Gwen McCrae" syndrome. I'd like to shove those effing syndrums right up the percussionist's aXse...

TONE :ohmy:

[/quote

Aint that the Vanessa Kendrick that was big with the London 2 step collectors circa 1985 ... ..must agree Tony sounds poor compared to Gwen Mac :(

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I seem to recall the story, that it was supposed to have been released on Lasso originally but the recording was hijacked, and it surfaced briefly on Land Of Hits. The Lasso release never happened - until the early 90s when copies where around everywhere. Not sure where they came from but I always supposed they were pressed at that time.

Chars Girf

PS compared to Bobby Cutchins, its pants anyway :thumbsup:frusty2.gif

Can someone please explain this to me. Did Bobby Cutchins do a 12 inch of this track as well? I can remember Richard Sirling playing this on his radio show, and saying that it was Bobby Cutchins?

I actually prefer this version as a dance tune, the other is more soulful. I just think this has got that "something" that makes it a bit special. It's definately the backing track, and I don't normally like the 70s + stuff at all.

I would actually buy this, except that I have nothing else to play with it.

Social source share

Can someone please explain this to me. Did Bobby Cutchins do a 12 inch of this track as well? I can remember Richard Sirling playing this on his radio show, and saying that it was Bobby Cutchins?

I actually prefer this version as a dance tune, the other is more soulful. I just think this has got that "something" that makes it a bit special. It's definately the backing track, and I don't normally like the 70s + stuff at all.

I would actually buy this, except that I have nothing else to play with it.

Ditto

Russ

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Chars Girf

PS compared to Bobby Cutchins, its pants anyway :lol::yes:

Sorry to "bump" this again, but I just wondered if anyone had any further info?

I too remember it from Morecambe and Stafford around 85 so the Lasso issue can't possibly be original can it?

Thanks, John.

Social source share

I too remember it from Morecambe and Stafford around 85 so the Lasso issue can't possibly be original can it?

Thanks, John.

have a lasso 12" for sale------jesse henderson

bought mine years ago from dave withers or voices

never thought of it as a boot

50-00 price on it,so its a dear boot if it is :lol:

Social source share

I thought i put an answer on here last time must have been another thread i also sent this answer to manship but think he ignored me :lol: well he hates me anyway.

according to rod shard the jesse henderson 12" is just the bobby cutchins remixed for the US disco scene. if rod reads this he may well confirm, got my copy out of king bee for 50p in the sales box. i have both version but i prefer the jesse version.

mark

Social source share

Thanks, John.

1981 release on Land of Hits. Was played at Stafford and other places certainly by early 1984. I have a Searling tape from that time with it on.

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Jun 7 2006, 03:58 PM) link
I thought i put an answer on here last time must have been another thread i also sent this answer to manship but think he ignored me :lol: well he hates me anyway.

according to rod shard the jesse henderson 12" is just the bobby cutchins remixed for the US disco scene. if rod reads this he may well confirm, got my copy out of king bee for 50p in the sales box. i have both version but i prefer the jesse version.

mark

I got mine from Rod about 10 years ago for £1.Think Paul Mooney has the publishing rights for the song, we were talking about this a few months back and he told me something similar to Girth's first post that it was supposed to be released on Lasso and was illegaly done on Land Of Hits. I'll make him aware of this thread and maybe he could add to it.

The original question of "is it a worthy auction item" certainly not.

Tomo

Social source share

Was suprised to see this in Johns auction. Can only assume he is selling it for someone else as in my opinion it's only a 10 quid record but i suppose if your'e the person who owns it you want to get the best price & we all know Johns auctions are the best way to do that.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi All

The Land of Hits version was the first, the version on Lasso is a later remix of the tune and I feel, weaker. Is it better than Bobby Cutchins ? I had both and liked to play Jesse as I felt the vocals were to die for and the strings my richer in the production. But you need to play them side by side to see what I mean. But in the end, it's just a good tune and you pays you're money and takes your choice.

Just had 5 fab days at the Rimini weekender

Dave

Social source share

Hi All

The Land of Hits version was the first, the version on Lasso is a later remix of the tune and I feel, weaker. Is it better than Bobby Cutchins ? I had both and liked to play Jesse as I felt the vocals were to die for and the strings my richer in the production. But you need to play them side by side to see what I mean. But in the end, it's just a good tune and you pays you're money and takes your choice.

Just had 5 fab days at the Rimini weekender

Dave

Its been hotter here Dave .. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for the replies on this - I missed most cos I was on my hols - just checked it out. Pretty much as I though then.

Cheers Girth

As a further post script to this, I sought out and bought both the Land of Hits and the Lasso issues of this with a few clicks of the mouse. There were several copies of both at several dealers.

The Land of Hits issue cost £8 and is a far stronger mix with better sound quality, both sides have the long version. The Lasso issue cost me £7 and has a shorter mix on the B side which is lighter and probably more suited to the current "Northern" scene, imho. I prefer the Land of Hits version which I'm sure is the one I remember from Morecambe/Leicester mid - late 80's

As to the original question "is this a worthy auction item" - clearly the answer is a very loud "NO".

Cheers,

John.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

As a further post script to this, I sought out and bought both the Land of Hits and the Lasso issues of this with a few clicks of the mouse. There were several copies of both at several dealers.

The Land of Hits issue cost £8 and is a far stronger mix with better sound quality, both sides have the long version. The Lasso issue cost me £7 and has a shorter mix on the B side which is lighter and probably more suited to the current "Northern" scene, imho. I prefer the Land of Hits version which I'm sure is the one I remember from Morecambe/Leicester mid - late 80's

As to the original question "is this a worthy auction item" - clearly the answer is a very loud "NO".

Cheers,

John.

The Land Of Hits issue @ £8 is more than likely a recent bootleg.

Girf

Social source share

Cheers,

John.

Hi John

Just to let you know the original Land Of Hits issue is very rare. This track was re-issued on Lasso in the 80's AND has been re-issued recently on Land Of Hits which probably explains how you could pick up both for relatively reasonable prices. If you have found an original, cheap, good on ya!

Baz M

Social source share

Hi John

Just to let you know the original Land Of Hits issue is very rare. This track was re-issued on Lasso in the 80's AND has been re-issued recently on Land Of Hits which probably explains how you could pick up both for relatively reasonable prices. If you have found an original, cheap, good on ya!

Baz M

Hmmmm, this is reaching enigma proportions!

Guy advertised is as original and I'm not too bothered but just in case.......any idea how I could tell the difference between them?

Many thanks Baz,

John.

Social source share

Hmmmm, this is reaching enigma proportions!

Guy advertised is as original and I'm not too bothered but just in case.......any idea how I could tell the difference between them?

Many thanks Baz,

John.

"any idea how I could tell the difference between them?"

Other than the extra £292 to buy it ;-) The orig is basically a blue/black paint splash lable where as the reissue is a weaker reddish affair and the Lasso is solid yellow. Looks like South Brother in London are stocking the LOH reissue

Hope this helps

Regards

Baz

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Defo a DT biggie , not MB , as Martin said at the time Bobby Cutchins was far better ( I like both blush.gif ) I was shocked to see the Lasso 12 on Manships auction too

Ivor Jones played it do death in the 90's , he so boring that bloke :thumbsup:

:boxing: SIMON ! BORROCKS! IM STILL PLAYING IT TO DEATH ! WHO`S BORING ! ? AND I LOVE BOTH VERSIONS TOO.......

ALL THE BEST MATE, IVOR

THE LASSO VERSION IS DEFINATELY A REPRESS/ BOOTLEG DEPENDING ON YOUR VEIWPOINT....ALSO, THE LAND OF HITS ONE HAS BEEN REPRESSED BY SOMEONE, [MAYBE THE LABEL OWNER], BUT WITH "I DID IT AGAIN" ON BOTH SIDES,[sO NO B-SIDE],LIKE YOU WOULD FIND ON THE ORIGINAL.... DEFINATELY BROKEN BY THE ONE AND ONLY DAVE THORLEY. OVER AND OUT. SHOOTING HIGH THIS SATURDAY ANYONE ?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

:wicked: Oh What Ivor ( hows the snakebite) .. I know what 12 I'd be playing to death if I still had it :angry:

[HOW YOU KEEPING MY FRIEND ? WHAT 12 IS THAT THEN SIMON ? ]

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

JUST SEVERAL MORE THINGS TO PUT THIS TO BED. THE ORIGINAL 12 OF JESSIE HENDERSON ON LAND OF HITS HAS "MY KIND OF GIRL" ON THE FLIP, SO IF YOUR COPY HAS "I DID IT AGAIN" ON BOTH SIDES, ITS MORE THAN LIKELY A REISSUE DONE BY THE LABEL OWNERS QUITE RECENTLY[ DUE TO BIG DEMAND FROM DISCO/DANCE COLLECTORS].

NOT SURE I AGREE WITH DAVE THORLEY ABOUT THE LASSO 12 BEING A REMIX? IT SOUNDS THE SAME TO ME,BUT WHAT DO I KNOW! THE SHORT 7" VERSION ON THE OTHER SIDE IS ONLY ON THE LASSO 12[NOW THIS IS GETTING CONFUSING! ], BUT I WAS INFORMED THAT "I DID IT AGAIN" CAME OUT ON AN ORIGINAL 7" ON LAND OF HITS---- MAYBE THATS WHERE THAT VERSION COMES FROM????

AS FAR AS I KNOW,THE BOBBY CUTCHINS VERSION IS ONLY ON 7" ON LASSO BUT,IF YOUR`E INTERESTED, IT DOES COME IN A QUITE HARD TO FIND BLACK AND WHITE PIC SLEEVE. LOOKS GOOD !

LIKE DAVE THORLEY,I THINK THE JESSIE HENDERSON VERSION JUST NUDGES IT,BUT IT DOES DEPEND ON WHAT TYPE OF STUFF YOU`RE PLAYING. JESSIE`S VERSION WORKS VERY NICELY ALONGSIDE MORE DANCEY STUFF WHEREAS BOBBY`S SOUNDS GREAT IN AMONGST MORE NORTHERN/70`S STUFF.

OI, ROUNCEY ! NO ! CLEAN YOUR EARS OUT ! THANKS FOR THE TUNES BY THE WAY !............

I HOPE THATS BEEN OF SOME HELP TO YOU.

RIGHT, IM OFF TO POLISH MY HEAD AND I`VE JUST REALISED THAT I HAVENT PLAYED JESSIE HENDERSON YET TODAY. SO IM GONNA DO THAT AS WELL....

IS THAT ALRIGHT WITH YOU SIMON? :wicked:

Social source share

IS THAT ALRIGHT WITH YOU SIMON? :yes:

.. I'll keep stum about that 12 , ( Simon T knows the one though) :ohmy:

B*st**d thing, wish I'd never heard it now, nearly 20 years of searching for it and not a sniff. I'll put the 12" 7" & instrumental on that CD for you, Simon

Anyone remind me where I would have bought the JH Lasso 12" from? Soul Bowl?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert