The Steady Stream Of Dare I Say 'funky' Newies In The Sale Section

Mal C

Seems to be lists every day of dare I say 'Funky' newies in the sale section.. well they are new to me on the whole...absolutely fine of course, just two points, pretty much always by new members, bar a few regulars,  and secondly why do they all seem to cost in excess of £200 a pop...???

Split Evolution - Jumpstreet - Wasp, I know the label and its under the radar suppository, at £150.... Mmmm :g: allot for a unknown thing me thinks, Black Sugar - Its too late, a bargain were told at well over £150 again.... Ive been buying tons of records of folk on here for years, and as Ive stated, allot of the above type stuff are totally new to me I'm not talking a pop at our 'Funkier' brothers and sisters... but why do you charge so much for your records?

Mal.C :elvis: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Black Sugar has been £150/£200+ for the past 5 years at least.

Split Evolution is hardly an unknown record but also difficult to locate copies of. Doesn't surprise me that people want a lot of money for it.

"Unknowns" will always easily sell at high prices if the person selling them knows what they've got on their hands and who they should offer them to.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Ok, so to an extent it's people in the know as it were.... so as to not end this thread prematurely with your knowledgeable reply Seb, would you say allot of these records circulate here in the within a small circle, and then with younger fans across Europe?

M

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Black Sugar has been £150/£200+ for the past 5 years at least.

Split Evolution is hardly an unknown record but also difficult to locate copies of. Doesn't surprise me that people want a lot of money for it.

"Unknowns" will always easily sell at high prices if the person selling them knows what they've got on their hands and who they should offer them to.

If you've got a rare tune that very few people know, and you know it's a killer, then you will value it based on it's potential when it gets into the right DJ's hands. I think that was exactly what Seb said but different words. :huh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I Don't buy of SS 

Get my Funk stuff of dealers for a 5er a pop & loads under the radar too  :wicked:

But if folks on here want to pay 200 quid for them that's alright with me  :lol:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Good man, Love paying buggar all for records that some pay loads for, that said Ive made some horrible mistakes over the years when Ive sold them on, but if you have not paid much in the first place, you dont loose much do you...?

M

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok, so to an extent it's people in the know as it were.... so as to not end this thread prematurely with your knowledgeable reply Seb, would you say allot of these records circulate here in the within a small circle, and then with younger fans across Europe?

M

Stuff like Black Sugar has been huge for years. Perhaps not on the northern scene, but for example the Black Sugar LP that includes "Too Late" was reissued in 2007 due to heavy demand for it. That's 6 years ago. I wouldn't say that "Too Late" is a tune that has been enjoyed within a small circle, thousands of people (perhaps outside of the northern soul scene) have been raving about that LP and 45 for years.

Split Evolution is definitely far less known compared to Black Sugar, and harder to track down, but has had plays all over Europe for quite some time, has been included in playlists and on popular podcasts (that have been heard by, again, thousands of people).

Social source share

The thing is that the young un's like this stuff & it's becoming in Vogue now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbup:

I spun a few @ a ATB venue last week last hour & the folks who where there really enjoyed the sounds of them & even danced to some of them  also other dj's & collectors got interested too  :g:

BTW  i'm holding on to my stuff @ the MO :wicked:  

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

interesting post

just because some records are new to you doenst mean they dont already have established prices, Mal. £150 for Jump Street is fine, I wouldnt let mine go for less than that, it doesnt show up every day.

£170 for a clean playing copy of black sugar is a bargain - they have sold for £300 on here in the last few months and not just a one off. i price my sales on personal experience and yes most of those sales dont reach boards or groups so you are right there.

boot on the other foot, i cant believe people were paying £100 for gospel comforters or £500 for good loving on kingston, for example. or £400 for  sherell brothers. the list goes on. the soul scene in effect made those prices. 

lets look at a recent example - caffrey bros. thats gone mad price wise of late. i couldnt sell them as a funky under that radar tune for £30 to soulies. now goes for £200ish and youd be lucky to get one for £150

maybe you should look at these lists more closely and pick out future a winner. maybe could have had a platinum plus for nothing instead of the £350 and rising price tag.

Kev - good for you mate. if you are finding funky stuff for £5 that's worth £200 then kudos to you, especially if others are enjoying it rather than dismissing it. some dealers lists are amazing for under priced tunes. 

and finally its worth mentioning that not only has what you say been going on for years on the soul scene anyway but some of the biggest recent discoveries have been initially introduced to soul scene members by younger collectors / djs. fresh eyes are a  good thing. and if you can get on these tunes early your wallet will be happier for it. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

PS the rare soul, collectors scene in the U.S. now has soul/funk nights in most of the major cities. So a little extrapolation, say that there are 20 cities holding nites once a month, with 200-300 attending, and many of these events do. That's close to 5,000 in the U.S. with some level of interest in rare soul music, plus those that don't live in these cities. The number could well be over 10,000 so maybe not such small scenes after all.

Been round the homes of a fair few collectors of rare soul in the U.S. many of these guys have collections that would dwarf those of the most ardent collectors in the UK and these guys really know there stuff.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

PS the rare soul, collectors scene in the U.S. now has soul/funk nights in most of the major cities. So a little extrapolation, say that there are 20 cities holding nites once a month, with 200-300 attending, and many of these events do. That's close to 5,000 in the U.S. with some level of interest in rare soul music, plus those that don't live in these cities. The number could well be over 10,000 so maybe not such small scenes after all.

That's not really the point I was making, I'm not talking about the USA or anywhere else for that matter.  On the Northern Soul Scene these records are not going to be around in 5 years time and hailed as classic oldies.  Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is irrelevant, I'm just saying what I believe will happen.  If Kev Roberts brings out The Northern Soul Top 500 iphone edition in 2020 none of these records will appear in it.

Social source share

That's not really the point I was making, I'm not talking about the USA or anywhere else for that matter.  On the Northern Soul Scene these records are not going to be around in 5 years time and hailed as classic oldies.  Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is irrelevant, I'm just saying what I believe will happen.  If Kev Roberts brings out The Northern Soul Top 500 iphone edition in 2020 none of these records will appear in it.

The original post asked about guys posting these things on here. I was pointing out that they don't realise that this is a 'Northern soul site only'

The point about the U.S, Japan etc is that we are all now connected, including the UK and so these records will still be around in 20 years and remembered and as many are now crossing over to the 'Northern Soul Scene' yes on here as well.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

The original post asked about guys posting these things on here. I was pointing out that they don't realise that this is a 'Northern soul site only'

The point about the U.S, Japan etc is that we are all now connected, including the UK and so these records will still be around in 20 years and remembered.

OK we are at cross purposes. I'm talking about the Northern scene because the original post asked about 'funky newies' in reference to them being played on the Northern scene - if it doesn't say that in his post, that's what he meant, ask him.  And these records will not be remembered in 5 years on the Northern scene.  Whether they're remembered in 20 years time in Japan on a totally different collecting scene has nothing to do with the original question.  

We're only connected because of the internet.  Going by what you're saying then, the next phase in Northern could be Low Rider ballads.  Because everyone's connected.

I apologise if I am completely misunderstanding what you are trying to say Dave.

Social source share

Northern Soul is also a global scene something many insular UK residents don't realise or accept.  Northern Soul isn't a genre, it takes from various genres and funk or funk edged Soul has been played for decades, it is nothing new.  I don't think anyone particular style will ever work on this scene, many records are tried, the good is kept the chaff forgotten until trends change again.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

OK we are at cross purposes. I'm talking about the Northern scene because the original post asked about 'funky newies' in reference to them being played on the Northern scene - if it doesn't say that in his post, that's what he meant, ask him.  And these records will not be remembered in 5 years on the Northern scene.  Whether they're remembered in 20 years time in Japan on a totally different collecting scene has nothing to do with the original question.  

We're only connected because of the internet.  Going by what you're saying then, the next phase in Northern could be Low Rider ballads.  Because everyone's connected.

I apologise if I am completely misunderstanding what you are trying to say Dave.

What I'm saying is that many of these 'Funky Edged' records are being played today on the 'Northern Soul Scene' are some of the biggest record at the moment and will be remembered in five years. Example Charles Mintz - Running back, been one of the biggest funky northern records of the last 10 years, so is already remembered for more than five years and will still be so in 20 years.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

I`m still awaiting the rise of the KINGS GO FORTH record, that was quoted on here to be one of the biggest records, even bigger than records like Frank Beverley in a couple of years?? Anyone else remember that quote?. I `m all for listening to different stuff, but a lot of stuff and no offence intended, with this funky edged stuff doesn't work for me. As Pete says in my opinion also will these records stand the test of time as many of the others have. No offence each to there own.

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I`m still awaiting the rise of the KINGS GO FORTH record, that was quoted on here to be one of the biggest records, even bigger than records like Frank Beverley in a couple of years?? Anyone else remember that quote?. I `m all for listening to different stuff, but a lot of stuff and no offence intended, with this funky edged stuff doesn't work for me. As Pete says in my opinion also will these records stand the test of time as many of the others have. No offence each to there own.

Your absolutely right, no they won't. As many of the records played in the 70's haven't. But some will and will become part of the folklore of the 'Northern Soul Scene'. The scene has always evolved, what was being played in the mid 70's was different to what was played in the late 70's, it definitly changed in the 80's. Records from there and even the 90's scene now stand as classics in the pantheon of greats and new ones will be added, some of them funky edged.

Kings Go Forth, hhhhuuuummm lot of marketing hype, me thinks

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Non of these so called 'funky newies' are ever going to be as big as Frankie Beverley - the scenes changed and spread out way too much for things ever to get that big again.

Although I will admit to being a fan of Kings Go Forth, 'one day' especially, bloody great tune on it's own merit, although not as a northern record.

Social source share

Seems to be lists every day of dare I say 'Funky' newies in the sale section.. well they are new to me on the whole...absolutely fine of course, just two points, pretty much always by new members, bar a few regulars,  and secondly why do they all seem to cost in excess of £200 a pop...???

Split Evolution - Jumpstreet - Wasp, I know the label and its under the radar suppository, at £150.... Mmmm :g: allot for a unknown thing me thinks, Black Sugar - Its too late, a bargain were told at well over £150 again.... Ive been buying tons of records of folk on here for years, and as Ive stated, allot of the above type stuff are totally new to me I'm not talking a pop at our 'Funkier' brothers and sisters... but why do you charge so much for your records?

Mal.C :elvis:

OK Mal

As Pete has quoted you and says 'that's what he meant'. love to hear your feedback on the posts

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Pete you know full well I'm not sayin' we're gonna be dancin' to Lowrider records. I was just making the point that, often when people in the UK say something is not well know, in the great scheme of things and to the worldwide collecting scene that isn't the case

And you understand fully what I'm saying, but as always you pick and choose the parts of my post to respond to so to have a good joust, which is always enjoyable.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Pete you know full well I'm not sayin' we're gonna be dancin' to Lowrider records. I was just making the point that, often when people in the UK say something is not well know, in the great scheme of things and to the worldwide collecting scene that isn't the case

And you understand fully what I'm saying, but as always you pick and choose the parts of my post to respond to so to have a good joust, which is always enjoyable.

You have to remember Dave that Pete is not what most of us would describe as a  rare soul fan,  so the points that you are making are second nature to most of us and the genres you describe are mostly accepted  in shape or form on the current 'scene'.

Social source share

The split evolution record was always rare in chicago, and I interviewed the main dude and he doesn't have copies. The northern scene may have just "discovered" it but I had sold a copy for $200 years ago to a funk collector and the person was happy to get it. The only reason it might not even be more now that the northern scene cares is because maybe it doesn't fit a dancefloor as well as some other tracks. People have a relatively short-sighted view of the world of collectors on here (e.g. it comes up a lot with respect to some of the other reissues, etc.). 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You have to remember Dave that Pete is not what most of us would describe as a  rare soul fan,  so the points that you are making are second nature to most of us and the genres you describe are mostly accepted  in shape or form on the current 'scene'.

Most Of Us being 8 people on soul source who look down on everyone else you mean?

Try making a point without having a dig if that's possible.  You might not agree with me but there's no need to act the c*nt is there.

Social source share

Most Of Us being 8 people on soul source who look down on everyone else you mean?

Try making a point without having a dig if that's possible.  You might not agree with me but there's no need to act the c*nt is there.

You have counted them !!!, be churlish not to name and shame them then Pete

Social source share

You have counted them !!!, be churlish not to name and shame them then Pete

No f*ck it Dave, I am trying to get into a discussion yet people have to make things personal, the thread is about records not about me, so what's the point of continuing.

Not a dummy out the pram job, but no wonder so many people have left.

Social source share

Peter, don't get so pissed. You open with 'These are just flash in the pan records collected by a handful of people that will be totally forgotten in 5 years though.' dismissing all of the genre out right.

You continued to focus on points you disagree with, never once agreeing with anyone's point, just those you disagree with. So some take it offensively and respond in a less than polite fashion. I always enjoy your jousting, but like to have fun with you to, as you know over many years on here.

Social source share

There is a whole host of collectors of soul music of all genres Pete, many don't get involved on here, especially the Europeans, because of a lot of the sh*t that occurs on many of the topics.  Go on some of the facebook groups and they are involved there simply because it is less hassle.

Social source share

Peter, don't get so pissed. You open with 'These are just flash in the pan records collected by a handful of people that will be totally forgotten in 5 years though.' dismissing all of the genre out right.

You continued to focus on points you disagree with, never once agreeing with anyone's point, just those you disagree with. So some take it offensively and respond in a less than polite fashion. I always enjoy your jousting, but like to have fun with you to, as you know over many years on here.

I say what I think but I don't insult anyone by name who disagrees with me.

Social source share

There is a whole host of collectors of soul music of all genres Pete

Well thanks for pointing that out Chalky but I was only referring to those tracks being included in one aspect of those genres as you well know.

There's all sorts of sub-genres of reggae too: mento, r & b, ska, rocksteady, early reggae, popatop, dub, early roots, dancehall, digital - I don't like all of those either though, some of it is terrible to my ears, but you and others speak as if it's something special to love every type of music and if you do you're in some fantastic club..

Social source share

I say what I think but I don't insult anyone by name who disagrees with me.

Agree Pete, you don't do that. But you are an artful jouster and know well that some of your comments will really piss some off, you enjoy it, so don't come the injured party. Make bold statements, then know full well that someone is gonna react.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Well thanks for pointing that out Chalky but I was only referring to those tracks being included in one aspect of those genres as you well know.

There's all sorts of sub-genres of reggae too: mento, r & b, ska, rocksteady, early reggae, popatop, dub, early roots, dancehall, digital - I don't like all of those either though, some of it is terrible to my ears, but you and others speak as if it's something special to love every type of music and if you do you're in some fantastic club..

Totally agree Pete, all types of black music have great and shocking tracks in there, but it differs to each ear. I think it a matter of tone in postings, if your getting lots of insulting posts, maybe, and only maybe, it might have been something you said and not even directly. Yes you know exactly what I mean, as I said, your an artful jouster and a very intelligent guy, you know full well how to press other peoples buttons. Where as other are just clumsy in their postings.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

I like what I like Pete, there's plenty I don't like of all genres.  I simply don't dismiss something like many do on here when they haven't even heard it or because it was made after December 1969.  Many slag off the venues that play across the board when they've never been anywhere except places like Kings Hall and other oldies nights.  You see it in many topics, thats why many don't bother on here.

It is a fantastic club btw :lol:  :wicked:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

You're a likeable chap Pete and I certainly don't look down my nose at anybody, I would say you was looking down your nose by assuming that certain records wouldn't be remembered as 'classics' in the future,  as if  by saying that if The Northern scene doesn't accept them they these records aren't any good?. I find the better records are better off by NOT being over exposed to the  (Mainstream)Northern scene!......peace :thumbsup:

Social source share

Only the short sighted 'Northern only' crowd Bob, the rare soul scene appreciates the digging and discovering of all great styles, funk, soul, gospel, crossover, etc etc.

As a rare soul fan/collector it all merges together at some point, The 'main stream Northern oldies culture' will always be a bit slow on taking on new records, always has done and always will!...

exactly.

and the sales are not really aimed at northern only buyers anyway.  for this the reason i try to use the word funky or phrase funky edged in a sales thread title so those buyers dont have to waste their time looking at stuff they wont want. nobody is forcing you to look at the threads you are being actively encouraged not to.

from experience there are enough buyers on here who do enjoy spreading their wings a bit and as long as that continues to be the case people will continue to sell those tunes on here until dictated otherwise by the market or site admin. in fact, most of these sales go on Facebook and other groups well away from here but even then northern lovers still find cause to moan. some people will moan about anything.

separate from the above point, Jocko's use of the word predatory is amusing. way overboard in comparison to some of the write ups / tactics i see from northern soul dealers / sellers. 

if you want hilarious hype look at your biggest dealer's auction's write ups. some of the stuff he comes out with is from another dimension in comparison to the two the now very quiet Mal has used above. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

separate from the above point, Jocko's use of the word predatory is amusing. way overboard in comparison to some of the write ups / tactics i see from northern soul dealers / sellers. 

I am assuming you found it amusing as it was an example of my fantastic sense of humour! i  thought you had been around long enough to recognise my refusal to use smileys. Taken in the context of the rest of that paragraph I assumed it was obvious I was poking fun at both sides.

Although your justification of the use word funky does prove one of my points does it not..........

Social source share

I like what I like Pete, there's plenty I don't like of all genres.  I simply don't dismiss something like many do on here when they haven't even heard it or because it was made after December 1969.  Many slag off the venues that play across the board when they've never been anywhere except places like Kings Hall and other oldies nights.  You see it in many topics, thats why many don't bother on here.

It is a fantastic club btw :lol:  :wicked:

rubbish

the only one doing any slagging is you

as in slagging off other members on here

take your "many slag off the venues" comment

go on then show me one thread where that has happened

as i said rubbish

Social source share

I am assuming you found it amusing as it was an example of my fantastic sense of humour! i  thought you had been around long enough to recognise my refusal to use smileys. Taken in the context of the rest of that paragraph I assumed it was obvious I was poking fun at both sides.

Although your justification of the use word funky does prove one of my points does it not..........

yep i got it. worth mentioning that im writing all this with a smile on face.  :yes:  

was more  amused by the dictionary description of the word  predatory. 'Living by preying on other organisms'. the hunt is on. :glare: 

its an adjective that's more helpful than not in my view, for this site especially and if people want to see it as anything else well that's up to them.  :P

Social source share

OK Mal

As Pete has quoted you and says 'that's what he meant'. love to hear your feedback on the posts

Sorry Ive not got back on all this, Its taken me longer this time to overcome the amount of alcohol I drank on Friday night at cleethorpes... and apologies to anybody I collared !

I dunno about what Pete's said, Ive lost the plot to be honest....but the original post, Is as always with anything I say on here, tongue in cheek, then I realized seb and yourselves were giving some good replies, I'll say this, I actually collect loads of different stuff, you might not have guessed that, an awful lot of house and old rave records as well..

Regards prices, well, yeah.... here is my beef, Ive constantly said this for years on here, and you know, say what you want, but you lot charge an awful lot for your records, and although the examples I've used were explained, I still think its allot. Ive constantly bought records over 20 years allot cheaper that an awful lot of folk buy em for, and I expect being a dealer Dave that's also something your very good at as well...

So there you go, we all 'Bit' on this one didn't we... sometime times I think poor Mike just sighs when he see's these threads...

Keep taking the tablets!!

M

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Mal

I know were your coming from. Some titles I see and think, 'that's just putting a high price on a alround average record, just cuz the sound is flavour of the day'. I have shed loads of funky things on my site at £5-£10 , as I don't think they are rare or are unknown, but not that good.

Extend that further and I have the same on the site that cover northern, modern etc. Most people on here don't list really cheap, average tunes, simple because if you do that to often, then people pretty soon stop looking at your posts. My take over the years on here is that people DO try to put up the more interesting or what they think are the more sellable 45, nothing more disheartening than listing 20 titles and selling none.

Now none of us know everything, so one mans high priced 45, due to his knowledge or lack of it, can be a mystery to the next. I found if you get it wrong someone will soon tell you your way to high, or as happened to me in the past, of the 5-10 copies you have nearly all sell in a heartbeat as you are way to low, but hey thats fine, all part of the game.

Yes I do find records very cheap in sales list on here, Facebook and Ebay, but I also pay £500 + for 45's I want and know I might not see for a long time in the future.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest giant

These are just flash in the pan records collected by a handful of people that will be totally forgotten in 5 years though.

Aren't they?

i hope your right Pete ,funky records not for me.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Hey all, I Know some people like atb, some oldies, some RnB, some modern etc, but this is getting like the classic monty python argument sketch from the early 70's.

There is not enough of us left with a pulse, If i still enjoyed wigan 1973 in it's entirity i would be brain dead now and  i no longer think mecca goers are self abusers, all bikers are smellies who dip their hair in the chip pan before going out.

Timmy Thomas Why cant we live together comes to mind,

James Brown People wake up and live

--"--           Come on and stop

Garry   (peace & loveman, Too many negative vibes)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!