Ebay Jokers

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=4870888244

Hello All, have a look at this. I bid on this 45 and got overbid. The "winner" even left feedback.

Now have a look at this current auction.

https://cgi.ebay.com/BARBARA-LEWIS-MAKE-ME-...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think? Should I take it further.Maybe I should ask the seller to send it me for free. Must think we're all as thick as they are!!

Is it Stuart who's the shark,sorry lawyer!! Where do I stand. Have I been involved in some kinda fraud.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

• Replies 82
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello All, have a look at this. I bid on this 45 and got overbid. The "winner" even left feedback.

What do you think? Should I take it further.Maybe I should ask the seller to send it me for free. Must think we're all as thick as they are!!

Is it Stuart who's the shark,sorry lawyer!! Where do I stand. Have I been involved in some kinda fraud.

ROD

Use a snipe program next time

PM me details

Social source share

ROD

Hi Rod.... are you suggesting the buyer and seller know each othar :shades: .... and so bid up the item hoping you'd go higher so as to get more dosh :shades: .... surely that doesn't happen does it whistling.gif ....

Seriously mate....this happens regularly.... eBay will do f*ck all as well if you complain.... they might query the seller and the seller only has to say "I've got two copies for sale" then it's the end of complaint then as far as eBay are concerned....

You could always register another eBay "username" (different e-mail) and bid massive on all seller's items to make sure you win.... then of course don't pay the tw*t whistling.gif ....

Social source share

Send the seller a message asking if the previous high bidder didn't send for the item? Make it easy for him to know that you know what is going on without directly accusing him of anything. :shades: I'd bid the same amount again but on a snipe. Everytime he 'sells' it he has to pay ebay fees and such a low value items it won't be long before he's losing money.

Social source share

Yeah Mark I do know that there are loads of tossers knocking about. But it's proving it. However the description down to "Small mark" is exactly the same. I've seen Columbo. Surely this is proof positive.

ROD

Probably is proof positive Rod.... but again, the seller will just say he's copied and pasted his previous description for ease if you complain and eBay ask.... after all, eBay will now get their fees twice over so do you think they "really" care :shades: ....

Social source share

Pete,don't understand ref to SNIPE. I got overbid and "winner" left feedback for the 45 but it's blatantly obvious that the same 45 is up for sale again.

ROD

hi rod

snipe is a bidding tool that allows you to enter your bid then it will bid for you i set mine for 3 seconds before the auction dont know if 2 works never used it always set 3 seconds anyway does not guarantee you will win but it does stop this sort of thing, just put in the amount you will go up to and it bids for you, there are others but dont know them. you do have to pay but it is not very costly and only charges when you win.

esnipe.com

you will find a lot of people use it this is why there is a bidding frenzy in the last few seconds of auction.

mark

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I quite often use the sell similar option if I have mutiples of a single, so the picture is exactly the same as the previous one I have sold, could well be the same here.

With a snipe option you can still lose by a $1, it depends on your HIGH bid against someone else's HIGH bid. Just because you lose by $1 doesn't mean that's the winning bidder wasn't perpared to have gone 100's of $'s more. It's pointless under bidding hoping to get a bargin only to lose out, bid what it's worth to you, and if you get it under your TOP bid then you've got your bargin. :shades:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Can someone please Pm with an explanation of how to snipe as I'm sick of losing out by £1/$1 at the last minute (in laymans terms please)

how do you know its only £1? :shades:

impossible to know the bid being placed by the highest bidder.

Shane

Social source share

It's pointless under bidding hoping to get a bargin only to lose out, bid what it's worth to you, and if you get it under your TOP bid then you've got your bargin. shades.gif

I always bid what its worth to me but mostly its worth more to someone else usually Mountainboyblue :shades: Thats the way prices are at the moment tho.

Social source share

Yeah Mark I do know that there are loads of tossers knocking about. But it's proving it. However the description down to "Small mark" is exactly the same. I've seen Columbo. Surely this is proof positive.

ROD

Just cause he as two records,doesnt mean he should fukcabout taking two pictures,i wouldnt,as as been said before,some folk use other peoples scans anyway,or old ones :shades:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Netspeaky, no wonder we have rampaging hordes of criminals roaming the streets!! Exactly the same down to the small mark where sticker taken off. Gimme a break!!

ROD

If he has 2 copies of the single and he uses the sell similar option he doesn't have to change the picture, that doesn't make him a criminal. By the way I haven't a clue whether he has one or more copies of this single, at the end of the day, you use your own judgement when dealing with people selling on ebay. :shades:
Social source share

If he has 2 copies of the single and he uses the sell similar option he doesn't have to change the picture, that doesn't make him a criminal. By the way I haven't a clue whether he has one or more copies of this single, at the end of the day, you use your own judgement when dealing with people selling on ebay. shades.gif

Exactly what i said :shades:

ie;Just cause he as two records,doesnt mean he should fukcabout taking two pictures,i wouldnt,as as been said before,some folk use other peoples scans anyway,or old ones whistling.gif

Social source share

ROD

Getting this back on topic: I don't think you can do anything without ebay's help and they are getting paid twice so don't care. If the person is shill bidding with another accound be that via snipe or not can they really win this item again unless they have a third ebay account. Anyway I like this one I may bid £50 on it :shades:

Social source share

What would be interesting is if Spanner wins these two items again. I hope guy isn't on this forum or anyone here knows him cos he may just be daft enough to pull the same trick twice.

ROD

Looking at his recent purchases (apart from these fine Atlantic releases) a bodybuilding book and a pit bike coil, so watch out! :shades:

Social source share

Pete,don't understand ref to SNIPE. I got overbid and "winner" left feedback for the 45 but it's blatantly obvious that the same 45 is up for sale again.

ROD

But looking at it spanner is 45 rated, pkdoowop 127 looking at there feedbacks they only seem to have met this time?(spanner winning 2 records in same auction series)

If they were pairing up wouldnt there be more references needed to prove this?

Spanner could perhaps have bid up higher,coming perhaps second place winner in previous auctions of PKs so of course dosent show? (but would show up in past auctions as second place?)

(you would need to delve a bit deeper to see this! )

Also neither of them have changed there ebay names?

And of course this would apply vice-versa.

Ebay would have to be able to see these patterns for all PK has to say is that he has 2 copies and he just used the same jpg!

Yes it does go on but i think proof is needed first.

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

By the way if you wanna talk about the ins and outs of sniping go and start your own thread. I wanted some advice about how to tackle this as I don't like to be made a fool of by some moron who didn't even have the intelligence to alter the 45 description slightly.

ROD

rod you asked the question re snipe i answered it may help you try it as someone else said i only put in what i think it is wrth to me if i dint win that is ok but quite often win paying less than i expected, its up to you.

now as for the guy wjo has two copies of said record :shades: which i seriously doubt, he was trying to protect his investment, but he should be honest and if it sells for less than he wanted tough i am sure he may sell other stuff for more than he expects the way of ebay some you win some you lose. you can complain to ebay but they will do nothing about it, if i was you i would send him a message and tell him you are not happy about it. just to get it off yor chest.

mark

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ May 26 2006, 01:45 PM) link

rod you asked the question re snipe i answered it may help you try it as someone else said i only put in what i think it is wrth to me if i dint win that is ok but quite often win paying less than i expected, its up to you.

now as for the guy wjo has two copies of said record :shades: which i seriously doubt, he was trying to protect his investment, but he should be honest and if it sells for less than he wanted tough i am sure he may sell other stuff for more than he expects the way of ebay some you win some you lose. you can complain to ebay but they will do nothing about it, if i was you i would send him a message and tell him you are not happy about it. just to get it off yor chest.

mark

Dont a big record dealer mentioned on another live thread,pull em` then put them bakc on his auction later,if he dont get what he expects?,same thing really,whats goodenough for one,surely is goodenough for the other?,or am i speaking out of order?.

Social source share

I've asked people to bid on records for me befor, its called protecting your investment, how many times have you seen records with high reserves never sell!!!

If im selling some thing on ebay i offten ask a friend to put in a slightly lower bid than i paid for it, can see any thing wrong with it, if some one wants it then they will put in a bid, come on how many people will list a record thats worth for arguments sake £100 you paid £75 for it and it sells for £30, now who would be the stupid one :shades:

Social source share

Baz, that sounds somewhat unethical. When I've sold on Ebay I usually put starting bid as the lowest I'd accept. If there's a difference in Ebay fees for starting at $4.99 or $59.99 say then that's my cost. I don't really think you should have mates bidding for 45s they have no intention of buying if no one else bid.

My faith in Ebay is well and truly destroyed. Bad enough with the poor grading but now all this which people seem to accept without much question. I'll tell you, I'll NEVER bid on Ebay again unless it's something I want!!

ROD

Social source share

If he has 2 copies of the single and he uses the sell similar option he doesn't have to change the picture, that doesn't make him a criminal. By the way I haven't a clue whether he has one or more copies of this single, at the end of the day, you use your own judgement when dealing with people selling on ebay. :shades:

Very true. A seller called bigwalt did this with copies of Little Johnny Taylor - Somewhere Down The Line.

Don't know how many he had (I saw three) but he used the same picture and description each time. I "won" the first one and it turned up with writing on the label and VG instead of a clean VG++ (or similar), definitely not the same record as pictured on the listing. I got a refund but he was really bolshy about it.

I told him to send me another 5 dollars to cover the postage and I'd return his record. shades.gif

Social source share

I've asked people to bid on records for me befor, its called protecting your investment, how many times have you seen records with high reserves never sell!!!

If im selling some thing on ebay i offten ask a friend to put in a slightly lower bid than i paid for it, can see any thing wrong with it, if some one wants it then they will put in a bid, come on how many people will list a record thats worth for arguments sake £100 you paid £75 for it and it sells for £30, now who would be the stupid one :shades:

Getting mates to bid on records to push the price up is a practice known as schill-bidding (i think) and is illegal on ebay.

Someone posted up a link to www.goofbay.com which has a tool to identify this practice.

I must say I also think this practice is unethical, I always list at a price that I will accept to sell for, if it goes higher then fine.

If you think a record is worth 100 and you paid 75 for it then why not start it at 80 or put a reserve of 80 on it? It can't sell for 30 then and it will only cost you about a quid more to do this.

Social source share

Baz, that sounds somewhat unethical. When I've sold on Ebay I usually put starting bid as the lowest I'd accept. If there's a difference in Ebay fees for starting at $4.99 or $59.99 say then that's my cost. I don't really think you should have mates bidding for 45s they have no intention of buying if no one else bid.

My faith in Ebay is well and truly destroyed. Bad enough with the poor grading but now all this which people seem to accept without much question. I'll tell you, I'll NEVER bid on Ebay again unless it's something I want!!

ROD

Im playing the auction game, nothing wrong with that, its only ebay what tells you there is a reserve price, whats the differnce from starting it a $59 and $9.99 which i star all my acutions off at (very rarely do i actually sell on ebay) it generates intrest, starting them low, most people are put off buyt high starting prices, and reserves, as i said i play the auction game and get people intrested try and start bidding wars, the bid from a friend is there as a saftey net :shades:

Social source share

Getting mates to bid on records to push the price up is a practice known as schill-bidding (i think) and is illegal on ebay.

Someone posted up a link to www.goofbay.com which has a tool to identify this practice.

I must say I also think this practice is unethical, I always list at a price that I will accept to sell for, if it goes higher then fine.

If you think a record is worth 100 and you paid 75 for it then why not start it at 80 or put a reserve of 80 on it? It can't sell for 30 then and it will only cost you about a quid more to do this.

see my above post.

And for the record i dont do it to rip people off i do it to protect my investment never would i get them to put a silly bid in im not that way inclind, I recently sold a M- bobby sheen on ebay i paid £50 for it it sold for around £42 i had a friend bid £40 on it is that not being fair, when they are on lists for any thing up to £100 :shades: whos ripping who off the guy was happy he got a good deal i was happy i got nearly what i paid for it rather than sitting in my sales box for months on end priced at £60 shades.gif

Social source share

see my above post.

And for the record i dont do it to rip people off i do it to protect my investment never would i get them to put a silly bid in im not that way inclind, I recently sold a M- bobby sheen on ebay i paid £50 for it it sold for around £42 i had a friend bid £40 on it is that not being fair, when they are on lists for any thing up to £100 :shades: whos ripping who off the guy was happy he got a good deal i was happy i got nearly what i paid for it rather than sitting in my sales box for months on end priced at £60 shades.gif

Exactly the reason a lot of people are starting to shun Ebay. All you're doing is falsely inflating the records on that particular medium.

This is Shill Blidding, is unethical and I'm sure by ebay's rules (crappy though they are), illegal.

You're reasoning makes no sense to me:

In your sales box for 60

On lists up to 100

Sold for 42

You paid 50

You'd never have had these differentials amongst collectors before the advent of Ebay/guides.

Shill bidding is just another sly miserably peevish way to extract a few more $$$ for from fellow soulies. (Unless of course you tell people that your "mate" has put in a false bid).

It's strange that whenever someone asks for a price check for a 45 on here the answer is usually derived from one of the guides or Popspike.

"Protecting an investment" mmm Nice one. Almost as cliche as "It's What's In The Grooves That Count" or "Keep The Faith".

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

This is Shill Blidding, is unethical and I'm sure by ebay's rules (crappy though they are), illegal.

You're reasoning makes no sense to me:

In your sales box for 60

On lists up to 100

Sold for 42

You paid 50

You'd never have had these differentials amongst collectors before the advent of Ebay/guides.

It's strange that whenever someone asks for a price check for a 45 on here the answer is usually derived from one of the guides or Popspike.

I see no laws saying this is illigal, if it is i'll see you in court sleep3.gif

Well good luck to them who shun ebay, there loss pay top whack off dealers if you like shades.gif

What makes no sense about my reasoning of prices its there in black and white, seen it on lists of up to £100 even £150 on one i got through the post this morning, I paid £50 for it i had it in my box for £60 try and make a bit of profit on it, and at a reasonable price! stop me when im being dishonest to other collectors :shades: my paypal funds were going down so I list it it sells for around £42, guy gets a good deal i lose out alittle, do you need me to explain any thurther so you can follow it easyer :lol:

Whats the price guides and popsike got to do with any thing :shades:

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Dave, you know me. I know you. We don't buy anything with the word "Lilac" in it!!

Im not sticking up for Baz BUT what he's saying is that he's got his mates to make sure he has a safety net. OK it saves him a £1 for a reserve although makes him look a bit like he may avoid buying us a drink should we ever meet. There's a lot of difference in that and getting your mates to keep on bidding to put the price up.

Maybe Baz will think about a reserve in future. He is right about reserves putting people off but shirley that's only when it's an unreasonably high reserve.

I did try to start a thread about these wild fluctuations in prices but no one was interested.

Anyway Spanner has his Mad Lads and Barbara Lewis. If I understand Pete F. and others correctly the seller would already have set up his false snipe to make sure he doesn't undersell so in a few hours time Spanner may be the lucky winner again.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

ROD

ROD why would you BID on something you DIDN'T WANT???????????????????? shades.gif:shades:
Social source share

ROD why would you BID on something you DIDN'T WANT???????????????????? shades.gif:shades:

You see mate round these here parts Im considered a bit of a wag so it was kinda of a joke!! Is it irony, sarcasm,bathos,pathos. No f..king idea but just a throwaway line to end with a laugh as my singing voice leaves something to be desired.

Of course I wanted the bloody record. And the last line means Im just going to have to put up with the way some people run their auctions.

ROD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert