Boston, New York, And Phoenix, Recommendations

Ok guys, not long now till I fly out to the States for the first time.

We are out there for two and a half weeks and we will be spending time in Boston, New York, and Phoenix. So I'm looking for recommendations for things to do in any of these cities. It doesn't have to be Soul related, but that doesn't rule out recommending record stores or music museums.

Just anything that is interesting, perhaps something you did on a visit and enjoyed.

The only thing to bear in mind is that I'll be with Jessica, who is American, and has lived in Boston & New York, and visited Phoenix on several occasions (Parents, one in Boston, one in Phoenix) so will know about the obvious tourist things.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Get to Glendale, a suburb of Phoenix, and watch the Cardinals training camp.

Then forget about Bolton Wanderers and enjoy the greatest show on Turf. The NFL.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave, try the Barbeque Company Grill and Cafe on South 36th Street in Phoenix, barbecued meat loaf! Mmmmmmmm.......    Or Los Reyes de la Torta  on W Indian School Rd for Mexican food

:yes: 

I've just realised that the only places I ever know that are worth visiting are food related! 

Social source share

Dave - If you're around on Saturday, June 15, in NYC, we have John Ellison of the Soul Brothers Six at our Dig Deeper night, which will also be our 5th anniversary show.  Full details are here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/249508948521595

Happy to suggest restaurants etc. in the area - feel free to PM me.

- honky

I'm in NY that weekend. Sounds great! Haven't got the faintest idea where it is but I'm sure I can find a way.

Social source share

You could always go watch the 'Motown Story' musical play on Broadway.

BUT .... if Manhattan, New York gets a bit too hectic, catch a ferry (or jump on the PATH) and travel the 5/10 minutes across to Hoboken (NJ).

Great views from there of Manhattan plus a fine waterfront area (Frank Sinista's birth place & where 'On The Waterfront' was shot about 50 years ago). The place has a 'village feel' that is much removed from the bustle of Manhattan.

Clam Chowder House is a great place to eat. Maxwells often has good live acts on (Bettye LaVette & the like). There used to be a good record shop on the main street (Washington) which might still be operating ......

... AND .... you might even bump into Greg Tormo who lives there.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

As I first met Greg over ten years ago, and Jess has known him much longer, he's one of the people on my list to catch up with.

My son used to live 'round the corner' from Greg ..... he (Greg) took me to my 1st NY record fair about 15 years back (got some good stuff as well).

Social source share

Dave - If you're around on Saturday, June 15, in NYC, we have John Ellison of the Soul Brothers Six at our Dig Deeper night, which will also be our 5th anniversary show.  Full details are here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/249508948521595

Happy to suggest restaurants etc. in the area - feel free to PM me.

- honky

just miss out on that one , get there the 16th 

Social source share

I'm in NY that weekend. Sounds great! Haven't got the faintest idea where it is but I'm sure I can find a way.

It's in Park Slope, Brooklyn - easiest bet is via subway, catching the R train to the Union stop, which is 2 blocks from the venue.  Hope to see you there!

- honky

Social source share

Dave,

https://www.northernsoulbar.com/index.html

If you get to Hoboken then this might be worth a visit, if only for a photo opportunity.  Been meaning to give a visit but never got round despite being in Hoboken very 6/8 weeks.  See they have guest dj's every Sat so take your box, you never know!!  Reckon the beer will be pretty good as well.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Tasker
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

It's in Park Slope, Brooklyn - easiest bet is via subway, catching the R train to the Union stop, which is 2 blocks from the venue. Hope to see you there!

- honky

I hope so too. I won't know for sure until nearer the time but have done a bit of research and it's not too difficult to get to. Edited by daved
Social source share

Dave,

Having lived in Phoenix a couple of times, the best thing I can tell you is to make sure you have a refreshing beverage in your hands at all times in the summer.  It gets bloody hot.  (110 degrees is 110 degrees -- even if it's a dry heat.)

Zia Records used to be worth a nose about.  There's a regularly scheduled record show (check recordshowsofamerica.com) there.  

Other stores showing up:  Stinkweeds Records, Revolver Records.

Looks like most others have closed.

Cheers.

Social source share

Brooklyn Flea Market is fun to romp around, never found any particularly good record digging to do but definitely lots of nicely curated vintage-y things for sale, though prices can be steep.

If you'd like to have a nice "old new york" kind of feeling, there's an amazing off-the-grid bar in Long Island City (a bit of a trek to get to, but worth it) called Dutch Kills that serves the finest classic cocktails in an amazing well-preserved bar from the early 1900's. Every time I've been has been wonderful, and great tunes pumping through the speakers (lots of deep soul and R&B). They do all the ice for the drinks the old-fashioned way, hand cut! Its a treat to see their bartenders at work. Its a short walk from the Court Square subway stop.

https://dutchkillsbar.com/main/

Some great record shops in the Village, Strider and Tropicalia In Furs if you dig latin...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert