Best Three Records On Labels That Are One-Offs

Chico Lamar, What Do You Think I Am, Fuller

I did think Pat & The Blenders on Fast Eddie, but discogs have another record on it. 

there are a bunch of releases on fuller and sister label C&F.

pat and the blenders already have two records on fast eddie, i think there is a record by butterball (the philly DJ) on it and at least one other thing

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Really, I've never had the pleasure...anything any good?

Isn't the Eric Mercury SAC the same label as the other Chicago SACK ? Although the Eric Mercury has a long run in groove the other SACK'S seem to be of the same manufacturing styles must be a near connection .

Social source share

there are a bunch of releases on fuller and sister label C&F.

pat and the blenders already have two records on fast eddie, i think there is a record by butterball (the philly DJ) on it and at least one other thing

Cheers bob, i stand corrected then.

Love both them toons.

Social source share

The question should probably read 'best three records on labels that are one-offs'. For most of these, there is no 'label', it's a vanity recording paid for by the artist or a benefactor close to the artist.

Been thinking about this... I think there is a subtle difference between a 'vanity' release and a label with a solitary release.

Some records were pressed up for friends, family and fun, with no serious intension of actual sales...these are the true 'vanity' discs, for want of a better term. Then there is the infamous single-release on a label, which was seriously pitched at gaining sales and potential interest from a larger label with more distribution muscle...but sank without trace until the vinyl hounds came sniffing!

Alas, how to tell these apart requires input from the artists, so we won't be able to clarify the majority!

Social source share

Isn't the Eric Mercury SAC the same label as the other Chicago SACK ? Although the Eric Mercury has a long run in groove the other SACK'S seem to be of the same manufacturing styles must be a near connection .

Paging boba!

Yes, Eric relocated to Chicago from Canada, but not sure the release time frames match up,,,the credits don't appear to and as you pointed out the pressing plants certainly don't match up. Sac/Sack name coincidence, or is there something more and sinister!?!

:)

Social source share

Hi Rob

There's a tune by Billy Prince and the wonderously titled Porky Chedwick - Porkology/Can I change my mind on Green Dolphin also one by Joey G

On SAC  Paul Varisco & Milestones

On Holly  Ronnie North and also Robert Epps   probably not the Billy Arnell  Holly though

That's a different much later and different Green Dolphin label, and yes that's also not the Billy Arnell Holly.

What's the title of that Paul Varisco?

Social source share

Nat T Jones.

Poets on J-2

Other releases on Goliath - don't know if it's the same Goliath though

and Justine 'Baby' Washington is J-2 1301

Nu-Ron's looks good though mate :thumbsup:

This is a lot more difficult than it seems ain't it? especially when trying to think of Classics

What about Kavetts on Len Dre?

Social source share

How about this lot of classics ?

Anybody know of any others on these labels ?

HERMAN LEWIS - WHO'S KISSING YOU TONIGHT - STONE BLUE

ROBBY LAWSON - BURNING SENSATION - KYSER

ELLUSIONS - YOU DID'NT HAVE TO LEAVE - LAMON

BOBBY KLINE - SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME - MB

CARLETTS - IM GETTING TIRED - BOBBY ROBINSON

ADMIRATIONS/ASPIRATIONS - YOU LEFT ME - PEACHES

ESTHER GRANT - LETS GET THE MOST OUT OF LOVE - WILSTONE

SANDY GOLDEN - YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING - MASTERPIECE

Social source share

How about this lot of classics ?

Anybody know of any others on these labels ?

HERMAN LEWIS - WHO'S KISSING YOU TONIGHT - STONE BLUE

ROBBY LAWSON - BURNING SENSATION - KYSER

ELLUSIONS - YOU DID'NT HAVE TO LEAVE - LAMON

BOBBY KLINE - SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME - MB

CARLETTS - IM GETTING TIRED - BOBBY ROBINSON

ADMIRATIONS/ASPIRATIONS - YOU LEFT ME - PEACHES

ESTHER GRANT - LETS GET THE MOST OUT OF LOVE - WILSTONE

SANDY GOLDEN - YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING - MASTERPIECE

Tiny Tim Harris  - Don't Say on Bobby Robinson

370391718236.jpg

Majestics - this World of Ours on Wilston - don't think I've ever heard that one. Some others too...

270956134457.jpg

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Tiny Tim Harris  - Don't Say on Bobby Robinson

370391718236.jpg

Majestics - this World of Ours on Wilston - don't think I've ever heard that one. Some others too...

270956134457.jpg

For Tim Harris you could also add the Timco release of the song and possibly the Menzola 45 too, although I'm sure I''ve seen something else on Menzola.

Anything else on OM apart from The Oracles?

Social source share

For Tim Harris you could also add the Timco release of the song and possibly the Menzola 45 too, although I'm sure I''ve seen something else on Menzola.

Anything else on OM apart from The Oracles?

JOB Orquestra on OM

Herman Griffin & Gerry Jackson on Stone Blue

Another 3 releases on Lamon

another 3 releases on Masterpiece  - don't know if they are the Sandy Golden label though

How about  Felony Theft  on Mijarelix  not really a classic yet though

Social source share

JOB Orquestra on OM

Herman Griffin & Gerry Jackson on Stone Blue

Another 3 releases on Lamon

another 3 releases on Masterpiece  - don't know if they are the Sandy Golden label though

How about  Felony Theft  on Mijarelix  not really a classic yet though

Pretty sure JOB Orquestra is a different OM label to The Oracles.  Oracles is Hollywood, JOB Orquestra New York?

Social source share

Herman Lewis on Stone Blue is a one off - the flip (Right Direction, not released on Mercury) is credited to HL and Gerri Jackson. I remember when the producer of the 45 called me (back in the 1980s) he said he was from "Stone Blue Music (or Productions)"!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!