Best Three Records On Labels That Are One-Offs

Top 3 labels that only have one known release which is a classic:

Topic title edited to: Best three Records On Labels That Are One-Offs (you're right George that does read better)

With such a lengthy topic title let me explain how it became so........

The continual list maker in me loved compiling or starting to compile label discographies and it was back in 2007 that I started delving into a certain label out of Louisville, Kentucky. Now I'd only ever seen one release on this imprint but was delighted to obtain details of a second 45 that slipped out later barely un-noticed. 

My thread bare notes soon got submerged way deeper than deep into my hard drive and were forgotten about until I stumbled upon them purely by chance a week or so ago.

On re-reading my scribbles I suddenly thought of an interesting sort of thread but as I was developing what words to use another possible thread (which I don't think has been covered before) came screaming out of somewhere/nowhere to take first spot.

What labels have only ever had one known release and that solitary lone 45 has become a rock solid bona fide nailed on ball banging classic?

And then mi mind went blank. Phut. The light was on but nobody was home. Nothing was coming out.

I'd thought of a question but couldn't think of a single answer to it.

And I didn't cheat by wading through various guides or spending hours on the web and yes I know I'll be mildly embarrassed possibly by the answers other readers might send in.

So I ask again what labels have only ever had one known release and that solitary lone 45 has become a rock solid bona fide nailed on ball banging classic?

And from that list what would be the Top 3.

The only answer that popped into my mind (eventually) was the Bonnie label and their one-off never to be repeated Magnetics 45. That's gotta be in the top 3 surely.

Any ideas for the other 2?

Derek

Oh and obscurities that only a few have ever heard of don't count - gotta be well known classics.

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

Luther Ingram- "If It's All The Same To You Babe"/ "Exus Trek" on H.I.B. ?

Larry Clinton- "She's Wanted" Dynamo- this Dynamo  wasn't related to the label distributed by Musicor.

Can't think of a third one....

Edited by the yank
Social source share

robby lawson - kyser

john & wierdest - tie

chandlers - col-soul

larry allen - green dolphin

tamala lewis - marton

servicemen - chartmaker

servicemen - wind hit

eric mercury - sac

melvin davis - wheel city

billy arnell - holly

construction - sync 6

lynn vernardo - yummie

ambassadors - pee vee

soul set - bi-me

sandy hadley - so-char

Edited by trev thomas
Social source share

For most of these, there is no 'label', it's a vanity recording paid for by the artist or a benefactor close to the artist.

What a great statement George I'd never really thought about these one-off releases like that (or if I did I'd forgotten).

Great replies chaps and every record suggested were blindingly obvious and made me go "Doh! Of course; how could I forget that....."

Nice One.

Derek

Social source share

chandlers - col-soul

soul set - bi-me

The Soul Set is a pefect example of the non label vanity press. I guess this was recorded at Arthur Smith studio in Charlotte,

The Col-Soul label was supposed to be a label used for soul artists that were recorded at Musicol in Columbus, OH. I talked to studio owner John Hull and Jeff Smith about this 15-20 years ago. There was supposed to be two labels, Ironbeat for rock and Col-Soul for soul. Ironbeat had several releases but for various reasons Col Soul only had the one 45. Weird because the Chandlers record sold a lot more copies than any of the Ironbeat rock/garage 45s.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

How about these?:

Patti Young - Head And Shoulders (Above The Rest) on Ernstrat

Nelson Sanders - Mojo Man (Rambler)

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You (Mandingo) - is there anything else on this logo?  :g: 

Joe L - (I'm Not Gonna be) Worried (Clissac)

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me (Barracuda)

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

would like to see them Dazz

To be fair Ted probably not the Magnetics Bonnie label but a selection of Doo Wop and Funk on Bonnie, nowt you'd be interested in :)

Other records on Barracuda and possibly a Barons record on Ernstrat

How about Ellipsis on Briarmeade and  Sharp-etts on Perma-Hit

Social source share

Isn't there a Gloria and the Relations release on Bonnie ?

Date with a man/Hook line and sinker 101  as said though Dave probably not the Magnetics label

How are you mate by the way?  I'll PM you later

Dazz

Social source share

There is more than one Barracuda label e.g. Billy Watson is different label.

That Barons rings a bell actually - what the score?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

There is more than one Barracuda label e.g. Billy Watson is different label.

That Barons rings a bell actually - what the score?

Cheers

Richard

Barons  Since you're gone/My smile is bigger (than your smile) issued definately on RCA  but rumoured on Ernstrat

talking of rumoured records isn't  Jock Mitchell  Chance in a million supposed to be on Barracuda?

Dazz

Social source share

Barons  Since you're gone/My smile is bigger (than your smile) issued definately on RCA  but rumoured on Ernstrat

talking of rumoured records isn't  Jock Mitchell  Chance in a million supposed to be on Barracuda?

Dazz

RCA is a different Barons group isn't it - not the group on Soul etc. The label says produced for Holton Records.

Never heard that about Jock Mitchell on Barracuda  :g:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-46883100-1369773511_thumb.j

Social source share

Anyone know why Eddie Parker - Love You Baby- was the only release on Ashford?The label did overseas deals, had a special designed logo and pressed demos so probably not a vanity project. Has Ms Chandler said anything about the label?

Any explanation of the other one-off labels?

Rick

Social source share

To be fair Ted probably not the Magnetics Bonnie label but a selection of Doo Wop and Funk on Bonnie, nowt you'd be interested in :)

theres no release number on the Magnetics label

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Isn't there a Gloria and the Relations release on Bonnie

This is the red label Bonnie I'm sure this is New York release ..but could be wrong.

Social source share

Guest Gogs

I know that there was 2 issues on the label (but the other wasn;t soul as far as i'm aware) so i'm going to put in

The Sheltons=  Find it = Bar-bare.

Social source share

No, but I think one of the people behind this record did something else on a different label later - It was too modern for me to pay close attention.

BTW the street name is mispelled on the label. It should be Dorr Ave. A few blocks down on the same street was Clarks record store and the Clarks/Glass City label - Romona (sic) Collins, Casuals, Jimmy Holloway.....

How about these?:

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You (Mandingo) - is there anything else on this logo?  :g: 

Social source share

There are other releases on Briarmeade, such as at least 2 Frankie Ford 45s.

Social source share

Antwans is a good one, on I assume their own label 'Snawtna', god I had to concentrate to write that down :shades:

521 records is another maybe?  one Soul 45 of note in Paul Waters, the rest are, well.... erm, not soul really, you might say R&B'ish, lots of Novelty 45's... Ive certainly not come across anything else that's as good as the Walters 45, and boy have I looked..

How about these, Margaret Glover on MAG, Majestic on Equator, Nora Lee on Westwood, Franciscans on JIMBO, The Phanton on Karisma....

Melvin Elling on Stretch perhaps, never seen another soul 45 on that label, Johnny Stewart on START, again just the one 45, and come to think of it, Dee Dee Warwick on HERD? I might be wrong but these all seem to 'just the one'...

Mal.C :hypo:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

How about these, Margaret Glover on MAG, Majestic on Equator, Nora Lee on Westwood, Franciscans on JIMBO, The Phanton on Karisma....

There are at least two other releases on MAG mate  :yes:

I have the Chanels on MAG and a scan of another one somewhere.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Several other records on Westwood, most notably the Soul Toranadoes

Does anyone think the Franciscans, Nora Lee, Antwans  are "classics"? I thought the idea for this topic was to include consensus all time great soul, or Northern Soul, records.....don't think any of these would be so.

Antwans is a good one, on I assume their own label 'Snawtna', god I had to concentrate to write that down :shades:

Social source share

Does anyone think the Franciscans, Nora Lee, Antwans are "classics"? I thought the idea for this topic was to include consensus all time great soul, or Northern Soul, records.....don't think any of these would be so.

----------

Just go right ahead my friend, you be a blunt as you need to be...

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

On Duke Browner's Bonnie Records out of Detroit?  I'd love to know about those.  I hadn't heard about any others.  Can we see a list with catalogue numbers?

Hi Rob

As I said I don't think they are anything to do with the Detroit Label 

Chuck Bennett   Bonnie 101

Gloria & Relations   already mentioned

Happy Daze      Bonnie  101

Tokays              Bonnie  102

I think he was getting confused Robb, as i said there's no label number on Lady in green

No number on label Ted but isn't 107374 on the deadwax somewhere?

There are other releases on Briarmeade, such as at least 2 Frankie Ford 45s.

Didn't know about those, should have guessed with Ellipsis being 7604

Really, I've never had the pleasure...anything any good?

Hi Dave

There's a tune by Billy Prince and the wonderously titled Porky Chedwick - Porkology/Can I change my mind on Green Dolphin also one by Joey G

On SAC  Paul Varisco & Milestones

On Holly  Ronnie North and also Robert Epps   probably not the Billy Arnell  Holly though

What about Soul Bros Inc on Golden Eye?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!