Mystro & Lyric Aka The Four Perfections

People still ask if the Showstoppers shared any members with the Four Perfections, I guess coz both appeared on the tiny Party Time label.

I know Dave knows the answer to this question & has told folk that have asked him, but he's been holding back info that will (I'm sure) be in his book (SORRY DAVE, I'm gonna spill some beans but it was thru me & Kenny that you made contact).  

Anyway, the makings of the Four Perfections actually came about in the Pittsburgh area originally. Two twin brothers, who were great in school at basketball decided music was the way forward for them, not sports.

One hooked up with a girl from another part of Pittsburgh, so he used to travel thru to her place most weekends but that didn't stop the two brothers from developing their song writing skills (one handling the music, the other the words).

Anyway, in the mid 60's, they went off to college in Philly. There they hooked up with guys such as Eddie Holman and started writing songs with him as well. With Eddie, they wrote a song "Don't Forget That I Love You" and they recorded it (but they don't know what became of the recording). One song the 'Steals' wrote that was cut was  "I'm Not Strong Enough". They had formed a group and started to sing the song on gigs. Their group, the Four Perfections were spotted and they got to record their song. When college was over, the group broke up & they returned to the Pittsburgh area. But they still retained their Philly music contacts. A song they had written, "Gotta Find My Way Back Home" was selected by Kenny Gamble to be cut by the Jaggerz (though it was only credited to Melvin & Mervin'). Anyway, the song was a hit & the two brothers thought they had hit the big time.

But the music biz can be cruel and young guys easily get ripped off. That's what happened to the 'Steals'.

They took day jobs but still kept on writing songs. Knowing some other guys on the Philly music scene, they got in touch with a few influential folk and pitched some of their new songs. One, "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love", was picked up by Tom Bell for the Spinners.

From then, it was one song success after another ........ SEE HERE ........

https://www.discogs.com/artist/Mystro+And+Lyric

What's your favorite 'Mystro & Lyric' / 'Steals & Steals' song ?

I'm currently in touch with Melvin Steals and he tells me that now the two brothers have both retired from their day jobs, they are back into song writing mode again. 

IN FACT, they are currently writing new songs for Kenny Hamber that should be recorded in the near future.

DAVE, drop me an PM and let me know which 'cats to leave in the bag'  CHEERS

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

People still ask if the Showstoppers shared any members with the Four Perfections, I guess coz both appeared on the tiny Party Time label.

I know Dave knows the answer to this question & has told folk that have asked him, but he's been holding back info that will (I'm sure) be in his book (SORRY DAVE, I'm gonna spill some beans but it was thru me & Kenny that you made contact).  

Eh?

No I didn't?  What are you talking about? I got to the Steals Brothers via Mervin's daughter. I got Winfield Parker's tel number from Kenny. 

Anyway, the full and comprehensive story based on a series of live interviews will all be in the upcoming book that should be on the shelves early summer. 

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

You'll have to ask Dave, he's the one who spent hours chatting with Mervin.

Both Dave & I know the full line-up of the group BUT I guess only Dave has asked what the other 2 guys are up to now.

The 'Mystro & Lyric' story + the full Four Perfections story (with all it's Philly connections) will be covered in detail in Dave's book .....

.... my connection to the 'Steals' is only really where they connect with Kenny Hamber & his career story.

As I said in my 1st post, both guys have now retired from their day jobs .... so I guess they would have the time ....

.... though they are OLD now (like most of the rest of us unfortunately) & their 'public singing' days are over 40 years back.

BTW, I didn't start this thread as a 'spoiler' for Dave's book ........ though I'm not sure he sees it that way.

Like most US soul music guys, Melvin (& Mervin) are finally getting to understand the lasting interest of us UK soulies in what they did back when.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I am currently trying to arrange for promoters and a couple of artists from the Philly Area to be hooked up with a  view to performing in UK. As anyonw who has undertaken these tasks before will tell you, there's a million and one considerations and the planets need to be alighned in order to pull it off. 

Mervin and Melvin have established a musical awards promotion and I'm sure, under the right circumstances could be persuaded to appear in UK.

I think Kenny would also be more than happy to appear in UK/Europe again, though I'm sure John (Roburt), will have better info on his circumstances and arrangements.     

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!