Mighty Bub's Playlists

Hi Guys

Talking about BUB the other day with a workmate who knew him well through football mostly but also through Soul.Being a Donny lad i saw him often and heard him DJ lots of times.We got talking about Bub' signiture tunes and was wondering if anyone can post a few of his playlists. There used to be a winding wheel live tape up on refosoul but i cant get it to load now

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Guys

Talking about BUB the other day with a workmate who knew him well through football mostly but also through Soul.Being a Donny lad i saw him often and heard him DJ lots of times.We got talking about Bub' signiture tunes and was wondering if anyone can post a few of his playlists. There used to be a winding wheel live tape up on refosoul but i cant get it to load now

Interesting thread Patto.

I thought exactly the same when reading the Bub birthday thread a short while ago. I saw the old lad dj a bit at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens and can't for the life of me remember what he use to play.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ye

He used to end with Michael if my memory serves me correctly in honour of his mate who tragically died.

Yeh thats right Chalky forgot about that one.I remember CHAINS OF LOVE, STAY CLOSE TO ME,THE JOKER,SECRET HOME, and lots of old Twisted wheel era classics but would love to see a full typical playlist

Social source share

Bub was a one off.

Back in the early days of the Cleggy Weekender, we always hosted a chalet party in our dossouse after the Sunday night session ended.

That resulted in about 90 people squeezing into a room big enough for 10, so the doors were always left open. We had a full deck system in place & the music was played at full blast till about 5am. Our chalet was quite near the site's boundary and the locals didn't seem to appreciate NS at that time of the night.

So the police were called and we were closed down.

As Ady & those in authority were promising the Police there would be no more noise & everyone would quietly go to sleep (so no one was actually charged), Bub (who was in the next door chalet) decided it was just the right time to start letting off some fireworks he had with him that weekend.

Needless to say, the police weren't too impressed. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Cheers Pete   "Michael" by the COD's

Not heard that for donkeys. Trad North - not a bad record.

:thumbsup:

NOT A BAD RECORD .. wash your mouth out, it's a BLUDDY GREAT record.

I taught my son (also called Michael) to sing the song as soon as he could talk (though his version was titled Michael de Lubber).

He liked it so much, he used to sing it (as a 3/4 year old) walking down the street.

Once in Newquay in the mid 70's, he was singing it as we walked passed a load of moddy type teenagers on holiday in the resort. They were stunned and couldn't understand how such a little kid could know the words / tune to such a classy old anthem. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

bub played it in the memory of mick cook who died on a coach trip going to Cleethorpes allnighter                                                                                                                                                               

Mick Cook, a great mate. Loved the bloke to bits 

Social source share

bub played it in the memory of mick cook who died on a coach trip going to Cleethorpes allnighter                                                                                                                                                               

Ay Up Joe sure you of all people can remember some more of his faves any to offer top man

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yup, a total one off and the world's a sadder place since he left us

He was always smiling!  I never really knew him - he was one of the "older lads" and a dj.  Whenever I see a picture of him he has that look of a proper, down to earth, old fashioned type yorkshire lad. I'm not really sure what I mean by that but it's meant as a compliment.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bub used to follow me to do the last spot at the clees winter gardens dayers in the late 70's, always had a problem draging him to the decks bless him 8-). Mick Cook was a great guy too, i remember that day too well, bloody tragic, thort the coach was going to the dayer tho,

Social source share

Bub was a great guy and a very good d j who used to remember your requests and would play them if he saw you in a place , he defo played the joker because he was the joker , always joking and laughing could tell a great story only like Barnsley folk can , brilliant , had some good nights on a Monday in the Norman in monk Breton aswell , not many characters left now , he's sorely missed ,

Social source share

i'll always remember bubs red d.j box with "think fat" painted on the side of it...

some of his plays that i remember...

ruby winters - bluer days ahead

eamanons orch - bird walking

fifth dimension - train keep moving

and at the tracky club, anything he could swipe out of derek greenhoffs box

Edited by trev thomas
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

i'll always remember bubs red d.j box with "think fat" painted on the side of it...some of his plays that i remember...ruby winters - bluer days aheadeamanons orch - bird walkingfifth dimension - train keep movingand at the tracky club, anything he could swipe out of derek greenhoffs box

He'd get a few out of mine as well, Kurt Harris being one.

Social source share

i'll always remember bubs red d.j box with "think fat" painted on the side of it...

some of his plays that i remember...

ruby winters - bluer days ahead

eamanons orch - bird walking

fifth dimension - train keep moving

and at the tracky club, anything he could swipe out of derek greenhoffs box

Ruby Winters not his usual kind of spin, i never heard him play this one how did he pick on this one and was it spun by many other djs at the time.Lots of his spins were established Torch/Wheel sounds but somehow when he played them they became BUB sounds that was the extent of his personality.I last saw him DJ at the Cleggy weekender back in 1996 and his spot was the best of the weekend.Remember the film Documentary about cleethorpes when the narrator called him The Mighty BOB classic.The Guys i now work with in Barnsley knew him mostly through the Pit and Football and they loved him to bits, the shear mention of his name bringing a massive smile to their faces.

Social source share

Ruby Winters not his usual kind of spin, i never heard him play this one how did he pick on this one and was it spun by many other djs at the time.Lots of his spins were established Torch/Wheel sounds but somehow when he played them they became BUB sounds that was the extent of his personality.I last saw him DJ at the Cleggy weekender back in 1996 and his spot was the best of the weekend.Remember the film Documentary about cleethorpes when the narrator called him The Mighty BOB classic.The Guys i now work with in Barnsley knew him mostly through the Pit and Football and they loved him to bits, the shear mention of his name bringing a massive smile to their faces.

it was the b side to her 1977 hit "i will", he played it a good few times at the carlton (normanton)

Edited by trev thomas
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Cleethorpes '96....I wos there!!! I remember Bub's set....rammed it as usual...and whilst I can't remember any particular tune...what I do remember is that he played more tunes off my 4 tapes with 100 tracks on that i'd had for the past 20 years in his set than i'd hear in any set...and perhaps any night.....in my 7 years of trekking! Needless to say....I was happy!x I went on the stage to say hi to him as he waved during his set! I had this new shiny shirt on....gave him a hug...and it instantly turned into a 'wet look' top!!!hehe!!x He did that to me wherever we DJ'd together....and....it was part of me night....luv'd it...and him!x Proper stuff folks....X

LUV
SOOTY
X

• Helpful 2
Social source share

yeh everytime i walked into the tracky club kurt harris seemed to be playing......like groundhog day lol

Don't forget though that many in the Tracky, when I started DJing there hadn't heard what I had before. Hal Miller would be another he borrowed which was a big nighter spin at the time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't think his language would have gone down too well at a Buckingham Palace Garden Party though !!

I bet the royals swear as much as anyone behind closed doors :D

happy days, the look of horror on dereks face, when bub took don ray out of his box, spat on it, rubbed it on his jumper, then tossed it on the deck, did your kurt harris suffer the same treatment

Probably, I didn't dare look.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Don't forget though that many in the Tracky, when I started DJing there hadn't heard what I had before. Hal Miller would be another he borrowed which was a big nighter spin at the time.

oh yeah..not knockin it  more of a coincidence at the time...we used to have a couple o beers in town first then off to the tracky club..we usually came in about the same time each week and usually during your spot.... a breath of fresh air..tracky was brilliant period..great days lots of happy memories

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you used to play charlie rich..i cant go on also....still got a copy to this day

• Helpful 1
Social source share

oh yeah..not knockin it  more of a coincidence at the time...we used to have a couple o beers in town first then off to the tracky club..we usually came in about the same time each week and usually during your spot.... a breath of fresh air..tracky was brilliant period..great days lots of happy memories

I know you wasn't knocking it mate and understood where you were coming from.  I loved my time there and my time with the folk of Barnsley.  I would go up friday night if Djing somewhere in Yorkshire as I usually was or Saturday morning and usually stopped at Paul and Ali Barker's.  In to Coach and Horses for a drinking and gambling session and onto Tracky, either that or off the train at 6:30 and onto the decks.

Top people, top crowd form all over, some great laughs.

We would also got to Tracky for a mid week session but we would just stick a tape or LP on and listen to the stories and jokes Bud would tell, happy days :)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

Remember it well Joe,it was a Winter gardens all dayer,have some fond memories of Bub on those bus trips and the unforgettable Scarborough weekenders in the Salisbury Hotel and Rudies, oh to be young again lol 

Social source share

Remember it well Joe,it was a Winter gardens all dayer,have some fond memories of Bub on those bus trips and the unforgettable Scarborough weekenders in the Salisbury Hotel and Rudies, oh to be young again lol 

Not only oh to be young again, but oh to have Bub back, what a character! I remember at Wakefield Intercom I think it was, when he was DJing, There was a food bar in the place, and Bub decided to take it on himself to advertise the burgers, inbetween the records "Burgers on sale at the food bar, 30p each, or 4 for a quid" :-)

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!