Are Your Trophy Records Up On The Wall?

Personally, I don`t have any yet after selling my collection for peanuts back in the day and I`m having to start all over :( but I was just wondering how folks keep their treasured items?  Are they kept in boxes etc. or do any of you hang them on the wall for all to see and drool over?

ATB

Pete

Social source share

YES ....... I have quite a few decent 'spares' framed up & hanging on my record room (& living room) walls.

....... MY BIGGEST FAILING ........ is getting white cardboard 45 sleeves signed by every soul artist I have met over the last 20 years or so (which number many).

Lots of times, I have to get them to sign the sleeve to a 'prized item'. These then go in special boxes (so the sleeves don't get dished). 

This usually means I never play the actual 45's involved ever again .... DOOHH.

Luckily I have spares of at least 2 Bettye Swann 45's & so will get the sleeves to those signed in a few days & file those away in the special box section of my collection.

Many moons ago (10 years+) I organised a charity raffle for Curtis Mayfield, which Ady let me run at a Cleggy Weekender. I framed up loads of things as raffle prizes (some soul 45's, a test pressing UK Columbia LP,some original posters etc) and those items certainly seemed to go down well with the people who won them in the raffle. So expect a few of those will still be hanging on walls somewhere in the UK.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I'm just getting a Margie Hendrix shrine of mercury demos (one signed) mounted and framed later this week along with a few lovely photos that were posted up by Roburt last year.

No real value vinylwise but she's remembered in this house and utterly worshipped.

Social source share

Could you be a little more concise please Peter :wink:

Ok Pete. :rolleyes:

As I've mentioned before I had quite a few records stolen years ago and then lost heart and sold a load more. I then lost some in a gas explosion and others were covered in debris and dust. My nickname is Lucky. :D

I have some bits left and have recently found my "dirty box" which has some other nice bits from the explosion in - forgot I had em. I've been buying bits and bobs recently although nothing expensive, including albums. My love these days is 70's and some of the more down tempo 60's.

Nowt on a wall or in anything showy. As I say I have a load of stuff just chucked in a box - some with no sleeves on. I'm in the process of geting some shelving done - if I can keep my ass motivated!

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Ok Pete. :rolleyes:

As I've mentioned before I had quite a few records stolen years ago and then lost heart and sold a load more. I then lost some in a gas explosion and others were covered in debris and dust. My nickname is Lucky. :D

I have some bits left and have recently found my "dirty box" which has some other nice bits from the explosion in - forgot I had em. I've been buying bits and bobs recently although nothing expensive, including albums. My love these days is 70's and some of the more down tempo 60's.

Nowt on a wall or in anything showy. As I say I have a load of stuff just chucked in a box - some with no sleeves on. I'm in the process of geting some shelving done - if I can keep my ass motivated!

Peter

:thumbsup:

Hi Peter, that was an attempt at humour on my part which failed miserably!  Blimey, you sure have had more than your fair share of bad luck.  I genuinely hope you`ve turned the corner.

Best regards,

Pete

Social source share

Hi Peter, that was an attempt at humour on my part which failed miserably!  Blimey, you sure have had more than your fair share of bad luck.  I genuinely hope you`ve turned the corner.

Best regards,

Pete

It wasn't lost on me Pete - I thought it was funny and responded accordingly.

P

:D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I find that term trophy records a bit tricky really, tropies are won or earned, butch getting hold of the first Mello souls in the states when us travel wasnt common place and we had no net for contacts, thats a trophy. some guy spending 2K on Al Williams out of his redundancy- thats sad really, just what is it a trophy of?  

Social source share

I find that term trophy records a bit tricky really, tropies are won or earned, butch getting hold of the first Mello souls in the states when us travel wasnt common place and we had no net for contacts, thats a trophy. some guy spending 2K on Al Williams out of his redundancy- thats sad really, just what is it a trophy of?  

Yeah Geeselad, maybe a wrong choice of words - I guess what I was aiming at was those records you`re really proud of owning?  That better?

ATB

Pete

Social source share

I have a Demo of 'Little Ann - What Should I do' along with a letter from Kent Records (Harborough Horace) ((Ady Croasdell)) basically saying "Dear D.J, you are holding a world exclusive - Give it some stick!" (In the letter, the record is actually called 'When he's not around') It looks really nice together with the letter, and a great memory being lucky enough to have been given it a few months before it was released.

I bought another copy to play, and I doubt it has any real 'extra' monetary value - But I like it.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

YES ....... I have quite a few decent 'spares' framed up & hanging on my record room (& living room) walls.

....... MY BIGGEST FAILING ........ is getting white cardboard 45 sleeves signed by every soul artist I have met over the last 20 years or so (which number many).

Lots of times, I have to get them to sign the sleeve to a 'prized item'. These then go in special boxes (so the sleeves don't get dished). 

This usually means I never play the actual 45's involved ever again .... DOOHH.

Luckily I have spares of at least 2 Bettye Swann 45's & so will get the sleeves to those signed in a few days & file those away in the special box section of my collection.

Many moons ago (10 years+) I organised a charity raffle for Curtis Mayfield, which Ady let me run at a Cleggy Weekender. I framed up loads of things as raffle prizes (some soul 45's, a test pressing UK Columbia LP,some original posters etc) and those items certainly seemed to go down well with the people who won them in the raffle. So expect a few of those will still be hanging on walls somewhere in the UK.

:hatsoff2: Hi All   Your story is very typical of people whose work or hobby, brings them into close working relationship within the entertainment industries, for some daft reason I thought drum sticks would be cool to collect? instead of a autograph & photo, I have a tambourine that Marvin Gaye used in 76, but in truth drumsticks tambourines and all memorabilia is not worth a dollar if you can't prove it is genuine, so next time you hear Marvin sing I heard it through the grapevine, remember me as that chink chink tambourine that Dave's got is worthless as he can't prove it, :g: it is a lesson to learn, as I could of got some excellent stuff with the autograph evidence :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah Geeselad, maybe a wrong choice of words - I guess what I was aiming at was those records you`re really proud of owning?  That better?

ATB

Pete

no worries mate, its a tune in common parlance really, your certainly not the first to use it. its just one of those phrases that when you think about it............ The only tunes on my walls aint rare really, I've a load of beatn up singles on the door, just for decoration. A robert owens tune, with his autograph, and little anthony's - going out of my head on uk, framed with its sheet music, looks great with the legend, randazzo/ pike in the background. oh and one other, the hip pocket version of, apple peaches....... in a frame, everyone likes looking at a 3 inch flexi, dont they? lol 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm just getting a Margie Hendrix shrine of mercury demos (one signed) mounted and framed later this week along with a few lovely photos that were posted up by Roburt last year.

No real value vinylwise but she's remembered in this house and utterly worshipped.

thats ace, she was a real star imho too, had call me a lover....... on uk mercury once, that looked grt.

Social source share

My mam taught me how to store records, she never used sleeves so why should I, plus they make a lovely sound when you`re pulling them out.

attachicon.gifrecord rack.jpg

HOW MANY OF YOU WINCED LOL

They worth owt yet Harry ?

My Dad still has one of these racks.    :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So does my mam Tony, she said ive got some old 45`s they may be worth something and brought this out of the cupboard and started pulling out 45`s with that lovely high pitched scrape :lol:

He's a bit of a hoarder, suprised he's not been on that telly programme yet,  :thumbup:   has about 6 singles left in there, don't know what happened to the good stuff.  :yes:

Social source share

...... The only tunes on my walls aint rare really,  A robert owens tune, with his autograph, and

little anthony's - going out of my head on uk, framed with its sheet music, looks great with the legend, randazzo/ pike in the background. 

I have a suitcase full of decent song sheet music (some 60's / mainly 70's) that I picked up for a song when an old Oxford record & music shop shut down about 15 - 20 years back. Some I have used as 45 backing material in frames I have made up but most of the collection is still sitting in the suitcase waiting for me to frame it up (& find wall space to display it on). 

Mind you a few items have gone to a better use. I had a couple of bits of UK published sheet music for Stylistics hits. A US woman appealed on SDF for charity purposes and Russell Tompkins Jnr was also a SDF member. So I organised things, posted off my sheet music to him, he signed it and both bits went in for the charity auction.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Marie got me a present for me birthday couple years back of about 15 of my favourite records I'm lucky enough to own put in a big frame (collage) for me to put up on a wall, not the actual records but exact size photo copies of them all, very nice it is too, shame that when we moved I broke the glass and since then its been packed away in spare room. Actual records are in secure boxes safe and sound :-)

Social source share

I have a suitcase full of decent song sheet music (some 60's / mainly 70's) that I picked up for a song when an old Oxford record & music shop shut down about 15 - 20 years back. Some I have used as 45 backing material in frames I have made up but most of the collection is still sitting in the suitcase waiting for me to frame it up (& find wall space to display it on). 

Mind you a few items have gone to a better use. I had a couple of bits of UK published sheet music for Stylistics hits. A US woman appealed on SDF for charity purposes and Russell Tompkins Jnr was also a SDF member. So I organised things, posted off my sheet music to him, he signed it and both bits went in for the charity auction.

I found a few other of the same guy at a record fair, lots of philly stuff, lou rawls ect, with nice photo's on the covers, just nice things to have.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

No.

I have masses of records but I also collect mid-20th Century furniture and art/design. Records don't enhance the look of the place, in fact they look terrible and untidy.

My personal experience of the soul scene is you invite people round to your place and show off your records, you get your records stolen. So that don't happen no more.

My Mrs and most of my friends are not that interested and would think I'd gone nuts if I started going on about record collecting or sticking records up on the wall... So there are none to be seen at all in my home!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

My mam taught me how to store records, she never used sleeves so why should I, plus they make a lovely sound when you`re pulling them out.

attachicon.gifrecord rack.jpg

HOW MANY OF YOU WINCED LOL

I remember the noise these made very well! Along with a plastic boiled egg slicer turned into a guitar.....the record rack was part of my band in the back yard :thumbup: 

Social source share

15 of my favourite records I'm lucky enough to own put in a big frame (collage) for me to put up on a wall, not the actual records but exact size photo copies of them all, very nice it is too

With the quality of scanners & home printers these days ...........  it's easy to make a copy of an expensive record's label, stick it on a crap but similar looking (vinyl / styrene style) 45 and frame it up. When its behind glass, its very hard to tell that its not the real thing.

This even works with LPs as some shops sell great 12" x 12" square frames that are made just for this purpose.

Many on here say they wouldn't contemplate framing up a record ... BUT ... just what do they hang on their record room walls then (3 flying ducks, a poster of a woman tennis player scratching her bum or what).  

I have framed records, a collage of old correspondence & record release flyers from Soul City record shop, a huge poster sized signed photo of Sam Dees and a similar photo of 3 singers at an early Southport Weekender (David Sea, Jesse James + a guy who had stuff out on Paul Mooney's label).

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!