Cool Album Sleeve

Tfk

Just checkout the sleeve info on this goodie ... a great double album rammed with non 45 cool tunes ... Vocals courtesy of Shirley Matthews and Sam Williams just name dropping here or what on this one ?? .great west coast soul indie label from the early 70ks "Dat Richfield Kat Records "... So many great tunes out there for sure ...

Tfk

post-3067-0-76910400-1432027504.jpg

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Just checkout the sleeve info ... a great double album... rammed with non 45 cool tunes ... Vocals courtesy of Shirley Matthews and Sam Williams .... So many great tunes out there

Tfk

Fcuk it! I tried three times to read that stood on my head - it didn't work.

I've seen that album before - what's it called.

Peter

Social source share

Peter

Hi Peter" It's finger lickin good" ... thats the name of the album Ret you need to stand on your heed then look to the sky and you should be able to read it ?? If not send me ya eaddy address and al send you the photo of sleeve etc tfk Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Peter, it's Richard "Dimples" Fields. 

Dat Richfield Kat was his label ... there's a clue in the word Richfield  :D

Social source share

Hi Peter" It's finger lickin good" ... thats the name of the album Ret you need to stand on your heed then look to the sky and you should be able to read it ?? If not send me ya eaddy address and al send you the photo of sleeve etc tfk

:wink:

Peter

Social source share

Peter, it's Richard "Dimples" Fields. 

Dat Richfield Kat was his label ... there's a clue in the word Richfield  :D

:rolleyes: Ah. Nice one Dave. I have a few of the Dimples's albums. Possibly my favourite 80's tune from him is this one

Sorry,  if that's off topic - probably sneaks in!

Peter

Social source share

:wink:

Peter

Very odd that Peter hav tried 2twice to adjust the photo ?? If you click on it then zoooooooooooom in it opens up the right way .. Saves doing the heed stands ???? All this blood rushing to ma heed ain't good etc etc

Tfk

Social source share

Very odd that Peter hav tried 2twice to adjust the photo ?? If you click on it then zoooooooooooom in it opens up the right way .. Saves doing the heed stands ???? All this blood rushing to ma heed ain't good etc etc

Tfk

Hi Mate

I've saved it to photo shop. Lets see if this uploads the right way up

post-5734-0-45494400-1368914898_thumb.jp

There we go. :thumbsup:

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Just checkout the sleeve info on this goodie ... a great double album rammed with non 45 cool tunes ... Vocals courtesy of Shirley Matthews and Sam Williams just name dropping here or what on this one ?? .great west coast soul indie label from the early 70ks "Dat Richfield Kat Records "... So many great tunes out there for sure ...

Tfk

Great album and great 'lil label. I wonder if that was my old copy.....? It's not one you see around that much...... :g:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know Richard "Dimples" Fields had some 80's hits, but didn't Ian Levine mention his records being distributed through RDK's own nightclub in the 70's?

Hi Rich

Richard Fields bought a cabaret called the Cold Duck Music Lounge in San Francisco. He had a very unusual career. I bought his 1981 album featuring the "I like your loving" record which I posted earlier which is how I first learned of him. I thought he was much younger than he was. He died quite young of a stroke.

Peter

Social source share

Guest giant

Peter

same here

Social source share

Great album and great 'lil label. I wonder if that was my old copy.....? It's not one you see around that much...... :g:

Ian D :D

Hi Ian

'twas just having a wee blast last nigh and sifting through a few albums , checking out the sleeve notes and artwork that actually went into some of these great american independent small time labels .... so much effort for very little returns ??? Mmmm just a passing wee mention on SS 40 years after its original release !!! Great music from a fantastic era ???

A aka tfk

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Richard 'Dimples' Fields had a weird career. Born in 1942, he was singing professionally by the 60's. He landed record deals & had singles out on Cordon and Vance whilst buying & running a SanFran night club. He gathered good musicians around him and made a decent career playing live gigs (though most say he didn't possess a great voice or much stage presence  -- guess if you own the club, you're gonna have yourself on as the resident singer). In the 70's he started up his own label and cut himself and people in his circle (Clydene Jackson). BUT the label was very badly distributed (guess many copies of 'Dat Richfield Kat' releases were sold in his club after shows). He wrote some decent songs but they never got heard by many record buyers due to his label's very low profile.

THEN, via a friend, he got signed to Boardwalk Records, re-cut some of his earlier songs (+ covers he sang in his live show) AND started having hits as he approached 40 yrs old. In the end he had a dozen national hit 45's between 1981 and 1991 plus some good selling albums.

YET .... if you research his career there's very little in detail about his pre-1981 activities and bio's on him can't even agree where he was born !!! 

MOST STRANGE ......... it can be hard researching a guy who just had one / two obscure 45 releases that eventually went on to find favour with NS-ers BUT you expect the full career of a guy who had 12 big hits to be well documented !!

Is there even a full label discography for 'Dat Richfield Kat' record label ??

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard 'Dimples' Fields had a weird career. Born in 1942, he was singing professionally by the 60's. He landed record deals & had singles out on Cordon and Vance whilst buying & running a SanFran night club. He gathered good musicians around him and made a decent career playing live gigs (though most say he didn't possess a great voice or much stage presence  -- guess if you own the club, you're gonna have yourself on as the resident singer). In the 70's he started up his own label and cut himself and people in his circle (Carolyn Jackson). BUT the label was very badly distributed (guess many copies of 'Dat Richfield Kat' releases were sold in his club after shows). He wrote some decent songs but they never got heard by many record buyers due to his label's very low profile.

THEN, via a friend, he got signed to Boardwalk Records, re-cut some of his earlier songs (+ covers he sang in his live show) AND started having hits as he approached 40 yrs old. In the end he had a dozen national hit 45's between 1981 and 1991 plus some good selling albums.

YET .... if you research his career there's very little in detail about his pre-1981 activities and bio's on him can't even agree where he was born !!! 

MOST STRANGE ......... it can be hard researching a guy who just had one / two obscure 45 releases that eventually went on to find favour with NS-ers BUT you expect the full career of a guy who had 12 big hits to be well documented !!

Is there even a full label discography for 'Dat Richfield Kat' record label ??

I agree entirely Roburt. I posted earlier that his career had been unusual. I guess he must have had a bit of money for him to have been able to purchase the Cold Duck night club. Very strange.

Peter

Social source share

I really like this album, esp "Along Came Belinda" & "One Bad Habit". Lots of nice sweet soul tracks with a particular lyrical edge![/quote

Fab choice there .... mmmmm Richard " Dimples " Fields and Sam William's on vocals. :- wonderful independent soul from 1973 !!

Ktf tfk

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!