Don Downing - Dream World - What Label ?

Roadshow Records was a label that operated in the US from 1972 to 1979 ......... https://www.discogs.com/label/Roadshow

For a spell, Scepter distributed the label in the US and some of the 45's were put out on Scepter itself with a Roadshow 'badge' at the side of the label.

Don Downing was the first artist to have a release on the label but quite quickly, the likes of B T Express & Enchantment signed up and had big hits for the label. B T Express had three R&B Top 10 hits released on Roadshow (2 of which made #1) and Enchantment had two R&B Top 10 hits on the label (1 making #1).

Shirley Caesar & Al Wilson joined the label later on. It seemed to just be an outfit that signed up acts from across the States rather than being a label that developed its own acts.

Stuff from the label was also released abroad, much on Pye International here in the UK.

However, there were Canadian & Australian versions of the label that put out its product in those countries.

post-22122-0-11969700-1367913800_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Roadshow Records was a label that operated in the US from 1972 to 1979 ......... https://www.discogs.com/label/Roadshow

For a spell, Scepter distributed the label in the US and someof the 45's were put out on Scepter itself with a Roadshow 'badge' at the side of the label.

Don Downing was the first artist to have a release on the label but quite quickly, the likes of B T Express & Enchantment signed up and had big hits for the label.

B T Express had three R&B Top 10 hits released on Roadshow (2 of which made #1) and Enchantment had two R&B Top 10 hits on the label (1 making #1).

Shirley Caesar & Al Wilson joined the label later on. It seemed to just be an outfit that signed up acts from across the States rather than being a label that developed its own acts.

Stuff from the label was also released abroad, much on Pye International here in the UK.

However, there were Canadian & Australian versions of the label that put out its product in those countries.

Roburt 

Think you may have been given incorrect information there.

B T Express, Enchantment and Don Downing had releases on Australian labels like Scepter and Interfusion but there was never a dedicated Australian Roadshow label.

Social source share

For a spell, Scepter distributed the label in the US and some of the 45's were put out on Scepter itself with a Roadshow 'badge' at the side of the label.

Actually Roburt, Scepter took over the label when it ran into financial trouble. :yes:

Social source share

Actually Roburt, Scepter took over the label when it ran into financial trouble. :yes:

Interesting 'cos some of the Roadshow stuff is still controlled outside of Wand/Scepter/Gusto. Demon actually licensed the BT Express catalogue plus some other bits and pieces in the UK until a couple of years ago. I guess I'll have to read the book LOL....

Ian D :D   

Social source share

......... I beg to differ .......... A Gino Soccio 12" .......

My sincere apologies Roburt. I ought to have known better. A lifetime of Australian label collecting and I make a stupid oversight like that.

A brain explosion. Oh the shame!!!

Social source share

Interesting 'cos some of the Roadshow stuff is still controlled outside of Wand/Scepter/Gusto. Demon actually licensed the BT Express catalogue plus some other bits and pieces in the UK until a couple of years ago. I guess I'll have to read the book LOL....

Ian D :D   

Hi Ian, yes when Scepter tanked Fred bought some of the Scepter masters (outbidding Morris Levy!), and Roadshow Records continued post Scepter with distribution deals with both RCA and UA. That's when Shirley Caesar joined, Enchantment etc....So yes a murky world of who owns what for sure....

Social source share

Roadshow first, Scepter 2nd and 3rd (it came out twice on Scepter!), RS was a few years later.......researched it all for my book!

Interesting bought my copy at Record Corner, can't remember when though, have to assume it was getting some action somewhere at the

time.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting bought my copy at Record Corner, can't remember when though, have to assume it was getting some action somewhere at the

time.  :thumbsup:

Yeah the blue one came after scepter went bust and Fred Frank brought the Hob catalogue and name. Hob was Scepter's gospel label (since 1964 through to 1976).

Social source share

Hi, I have never seen a 7" copy on Disco Gold, although Mel Cheren mentioned the label in his book (and there were 2 "Disco Gold" compilation albums produced on Scepter)......would be interesting to see a scan of a copy of a 7 of Don Downing in that format. :yes:

Social source share

Hi, I have never seen a 7" copy on Disco Gold, although Mel Cheren mentioned the label in his book (and there were 2 "Disco Gold" compilation albums produced on Scepter)......would be interesting to see a scan of a copy of a 7 of Don Downing in that format. :yes:

They're out there, label was blue with gold...................

Social source share

Roburt 

Think you may have been given incorrect information there.

B T Express, Enchantment and Don Downing had releases on Australian labels like Scepter and Interfusion but there was never a dedicated Australian Roadshow label.

Yes their was an aussie one - Il find it and post it up when I have the time

Social source share

The Disco Gold release was #270001- the A  side is a 4:13 vocal version of "Dream World", the B side is a 2:36 instrumental version.

I'll post a scan of it later today.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!