Cheap Record - Rare Demo

Nice one...that's a thang of beauty to my eyes :)

Love that track...always have done...regardless of whatever genre you wanna plonk on it :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Good topic!

Many absolute classics fall into this category. A few nice examples:

Mamie Galore - It Ain't Necessary - St. Lawrence

Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore - MGM (although this is, of course, yellow)

Darrell Banks (both of them) - Revilot

Precisions - If This Is Love - Drew

Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me - Sandbag (although the issue is actually quite expensive now)

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love - Champion (also getting a bit pricey on issue)

Jackie Lee - Oh, My Darlin' - Mirwood

Edited by Peter Richer
Social source share

To help us get Al Wilson out of our heads, I'm sure we can all think of loads of fantastic white demos on the Motown labels and Atlantic. Even these two:

Miracles - Tears Of A Clown, and

Soul Brothers Six - I'll Be Loving You

are very decent collectors' pieces.

Social source share

Here's a rare one I have which is nice.

Google is easier than scanner though.

Looks like a Carl P scan from eBay - think I remember this one.

Some folk say it isn't a demo because it is just plain white with no "DJ" or "Not For Sale" stuff on it.

I say - demo, demo, demo  :lol:  :lol:

What a fantastic record!

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-33209100-1367869749_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Steve I think I sold you a couple of rare 70's white demos - I've not seen copies since:

Andre Maurice - You're the cream of the crop - Bale WD

Kim Tolliver - I don't know what foot to dance on - Castro WD

both of those must be mega rare but both are cheap

Got the Andre Maurice off you Pete but you sold the Kim Tolliver to someone else - I was 5 minutes to late!

Social source share

Steve I think I sold you a couple of rare 70's white demos - I've not seen copies since:

Andre Maurice - You're the cream of the crop - Bale WD

Kim Tolliver - I don't know what foot to dance on - Castro WD

both of those must be mega rare but both are cheap

Got an Andre Maurice WD about 6 Months ago for £40.  Would love a Kim Tolliver, have the issue.

What about 'You Don't Mean It Towanda Barnes' - A&M WD Not really seen many of those about

Social source share

Got an Andre Maurice WD about 6 Months ago for £40.  Would love a Kim Tolliver, have the issue.

What about 'You Don't Mean It Towanda Barnes' - A&M WD Not really seen many of those about

Loads of Towanda Barnes about

The Andre Maurice and Kim Tolliver are good examples

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few more that are tougher than their regular stock copy counterparts :hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-96921200-1368014511_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-73163000-1368014660_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-48063100-1368014719_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-69591600-1368014782_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-56975400-1368014831_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-48592200-1368014920_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-99752900-1368014973_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-89112100-1368014998_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-59576400-1368015091_thumb.jp

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive got a Demo of Thomas Henry -  Someday on Spar, which is pretty rare, Not a white demo, But with Demo written in...

here's another, sandy Hollis on WD.. Not really cheap but around the ton mark.. scans of the web but its my copy..

Cheers

Mal.

post-2025-0-63529300-1368017183_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-19221300-1368017554_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest veep1296

J J BARNES  PLEASE LET ME IN   RIC TIC WDJ    Pretty hard to find ...well for me it is ...??

Social source share

The Melvin Davis Groovesville Demo is nice. I've been looking for a VG+ for over 15 years! Have an issue and had a battered demo but got shut, just didn't look the part with the others!

Might do a piece on Demos, their role in promotion and and the psyche behind collecting them for the Bridligton Mag? Think that would fly?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Tony Clarke - Landslide - Chess

Eddie Parker - Love you baby - Ashford

Both rather cheap on issue and very rare on demo aren't they?

The proper original issue of Eddie Parker with the large Archer stamp, will not be cheap as it is hard to find.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Outside of the northern soul titles some of the rarest demos of cheap records could be of million sellers. Just plucking three at random has anyone got any of these on demo; Wilson Picket "In the Midnight Hour", Otis Redding "Dock of the Bay", Johnnie Taylor "Whose Making Love". If there are any around  I bet there trashed. They may not be expensive but probably hard to find in nice condition.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Outside of the northern soul titles some of the rarest demos of cheap records could be of million sellers. Just plucking three at random has anyone got any of these on demo; Wilson Picket "In the Midnight Hour", Otis Redding "Dock of the Bay", Johnnie Taylor "Whose Making Love". If there are any around  I bet there trashed. They may not be expensive but probably hard to find in nice condition.

Rick

Couldn't agree more. Finding demos on bona-fide hits is difficult. I've got some hellishly tough promos many of which have never made it to either Discogs or E-Bay yet.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Rick

They are quite difficult. I have these from different pressing plants.

MONARCH PRESS :

VOLT_45-157-A_DJ_WC.jpgVOLT_45-157-B_DJ_WC.jpg

COLUMBIA : ZTSB (Nashville)

STAX_STA-0009-A_DJa.jpgSTAX_STA-0009-A_DJb.jpg

PLASTIC PRODUCTS : (Memphis)

STAX_STA-0009-A_DJa_PL.jpgSTAX_STA-0009-A_DJb_PL.jpg

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!