Bettye Lavette - Right Outta Time

Could someone explain the low down on this single. Can't seem to find it anywhere via usual sources.

I see B side is a Motorcity production (I think) but "Right Outta Time" looks like it's off the radar. Label

says 2006 but "Good luck" appears to have been an early 90s recording ? Of course I could be just going

blind.....................

post-4408-0-37890700-1367832405_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest trickbag

Chris.Supposedly recorded by Ian Levine for Motor City in 1989

Bootleg / Repro 7"

first heard this on the Glyn William's valley radio

show as a new release could have been 2006 played both sides

sounded good to me,don't know if its still available as a

download.can be heard at 45cat.

ricky.

Social source share

Bootleg / Repro 7"

ricky.

Thanks Ricky I bought a bag full of Modern stuff, this was with them. I like it very much (but tell Julian Bentley).

Social source share

Bootleg / Repro 7"

ricky.

Not supposedly...it is Ian Levine's production and of course its not a bootleg. He owns it and released a small number of promos 6/7 years ago. 

Social source share

Guest trickbag

i'm sure your right Kev,perhaps you played it

on your  solar show  Saturday 12 to 2 when

the promos where given out for airplay.

ricky.

Social source share

I know that Bettye wasn't very happy that it had come out (even though the backing on this version is a lot better than the original Motorcity version).

.... mind you, her objection was a monetary one (she didn't receive a cent for the release).  

Social source share

I know that Bettye wasn't very happy that it had come out (even though the backing on this version is a lot better than the original Motorcity version).

.... mind you, her objection was a monetary one (she didn't receive a cent for the release).  

I doubt there were more than 400 copies pressed on that run Roburt. So Betty is crying over nothing much.....

I've got at least one other record like that, maybe two, I think Noel McCalla, but would need to check for sure.....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Dispute that allegation. Ian paid advances to Bettye Lavette. The fact he re-constructed the track and pressed 300 copies of a promo single means there would not have been any royalties to pay anyway.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dispute that allegation. Ian paid advances to Bettye Lavette. The fact he re-constructed the track and pressed 300 copies of a promo single means there would not have been any royalties to pay anyway.

Kev

I seem to remember it's customary that all costs have to be covered before royalties start getting paid. If you take into the studio, musicians, producers and arrangers time and money you'd have to sell quite a lot before there's money left over. It appears to be an issue with singers, they do expect to see large piles of cash no matter what the economics are.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!