King Tutt 12"

Cunnie

So there I am browsing on ebay & I stumble on this little beauty, my holy grail. A King Tutt 12" on Fun City. Now I have had the 7" on several occasions (got 2 now) & also got an extended unreleased mix that came off a Fun City mastertape but the 12" has always eluded me.
I have seen 12" issues with the labels reversed & also 12" white label demo's but I have never seen a 12" copy with these stuck on white labels over the yellow labels to correct the original labels being on the wrong way round.

Can anyone shed any light on this before I plunge in & make a little bid?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Tutt-Youve-Got-Me-Hung-Up-Ultra-Rare-Modern-Soul-Disco-12-Fun-City-mp3-/151036859605?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item232a7f94d5

Social source share

Evening Mart

I can shed some light on it. It's shite, you don't want to be bothering with the likes of that. Get yersen some 60's! :wicked:

Seriously, have a go son. It's yout favourite record isn't it? It's in my top ten and would be a nice thing to have if I was collecting seriously again.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Was it Paul Phillips with the story of the guy trying to flatten a badly warped copy? I reckon Paul's got one, but then what hasn't he got?

Anyone got a link to the 12" soundfile? Not sure whether I've heard it and if I have I can't recall the difference.

I suspect it's a little more of a intro/breakdown/outro which probably doesn't add a lot to the 7", but my reason for going for it would be to get that bass response a 12" cut allows.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The copy above in the pic looks like Paul's copy Mark. Heard the same story about the warped copy & that was a promo. Been reliably informed it's now in a frame on a wall as it's that badly warped it's unplayable.
Only other person I know with a 12" promo is 12inchallah from France & he also has Arthur Fenn's old 12" issue copy that he paid a fair amount for (discression stops me saying how much).

Like you say Mark the 12" has got a longer intro & break but also sounds so much fuller & the bass jumps out at you like a hungry tiger at dinnertime.

Here's a brief clip of Allah's 12" demo.

Social source share

The copy above in the pic looks like Paul's copy Mark. Heard the same story about the warped copy & that was a promo. Been reliably informed it's now in a frame on a wall as it's that badly warped it's unplayable.

Only other person I know with a 12" promo is 12inchallah from France & he also has Arthur Fenn's old 12" issue copy that he paid a fair amount for (discression stops me saying how much).

Like you say Mark the 12" has got a longer intro & break but also sounds so much fuller & the bass jumps out at you like a hungry tiger at dinnertime.

Here's a brief clip of Allah's 12" demo.

Remember Mick Godfrey picking a warped white demo 12 up as part of a wee deal off JA on one of me visits to the World Famous Soul Bowl Records in sunny Kings Lynn sometime during the 80s.... Up till then ad only seen the 45 ....

Tfk

Edited by tfk
Social source share

You didn't fill your boots then Mart?

:rolleyes:

Peter

Had a little bid but went for a bit more than I thought it would.

Past bidding stupid money just to win records now as sooner or later another always turns up.

Still not sure about those label's though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And now the connection to "Philly dog around the world".....Mr Kim Kimborough....and King Tutt was of course Jimmy Bo Horne's drummer, not that any of that really matters to the "foamers" salavating over a 12" :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Remember an interview with King Tutt in Blackbeat maybe, he had no recollection of making YGMHU - also the 12" appears to be extended at the desk from the 7", making the 7" the original mix (and much better in my ears).

I'd rather have the 7" mix all day, a rarity purchase for me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!