Thomas Records?

I just bought a fantastic gospel record "I find no fault / what a friend we have in jesus" by Francis Thomas and the Thomas Singers on Thomas Records (no address on label).

Is this the same Thomas Records that put out stuff like "without a warning" by the Amazers? was that a Chicago label?

just curious...

Social source share

I just bought a fantastic gospel record "I find no fault / what a friend we have in jesus" by Francis Thomas and the Thomas Singers on Thomas Records (no address on label).

Is this the same Thomas Records that put out stuff like "without a warning" by the Amazers? was that a Chicago label?

just curious...

A nice cheapie on the label is Cash McCall - "You can't take love". :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chicago's Thomas Records was owned by former Impressions' manager, Eddie Thomas.  He had his label distributed by various different labels and distributors at different times (Chess (along with Monk Higgins' labels) and Buddah (along with Curtis Mayfield's Curtom Records).  I don't recall Eddie Thomas releasing any gospel. 

As The Thomas Records which released The Thomas Singers is likely named after the group (rather than coincidentally after Eddie Thomas), I doubt that it is Eddie Thomas' label, but, rather a one-shot label used to release The Thomas Singers' records.  So, I'd guess that it is a label likely to be located somewhere other than Chicago, otherwise, the owners would have used another name to avoid confusion with Thomas' label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!