Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Was the Tortoise really small or that Snail shell (bottom right) bloody huge ??

Yes it was a young tortoise about  80 mm x 55mm  but you do have to beware the deadly Spanish killer snails.

The tortoises actually eat the snail shells to build up their calcium intake, about 8 weeks after these were taken they aestivate which is the summer hibernation as it is too hot and dry.They will come out if there is substantial rain but normally reappear around September.The tortoise needs UV to enable its metabolism to create calcium for bone development etc. Their diet is mainly weeds (which also contain calcium) not lettuce fruit tomatoes and cucumber,they do love eating flowers maybe because of the nectar.          oops went off on one a bit there.

:hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Social source share

thats fabulous, I haven't been for years, prefer Spinning for Pike, long stints waiting on Carp is fine but if you no longer smoke it kinda takes the fun out of it..

The holes, far too big for Rabbit, Fox or Badger set I'd say.. Fox has a very distinct smell, you would know, and if they have had cubs you generally find all sorts of bits outside all chewed up..

Makes me want to get out there again... really nice pics

Malcolm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thats fabulous, I haven't been for years, prefer Spinning for Pike, long stints waiting on Carp is fine but if you no longer smoke it kinda takes the fun out of it..

The holes, far too big for Rabbit, Fox or Badger set I'd say.. Fox has a very distinct smell, you would know, and if they have had cubs you generally find all sorts of bits outside all chewed up..

Malcolm

Cheers Malc, I`m a river fisherman, so never bother with the Carp, as they say life is too short for fishing for Carp :lol: As for Pike!! they frighten old Harry, theres some very big Pike on the River Swale. A couple of years ago I was happily pulling in a nice Chub around 3lb, and something resembling an Alligator, came up from the depths and took the Chub. Now that was a BIG PIKE.to take a 3lb Chub. I`m a lucky fella as my passion takes me to some lovely places :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ive seen it happen with the big ones, they dont mess about when it comes to lunch.....   I used to fish at a gravel pit years back, One day I descended down a steep slope to get into a corner I'd only ever seen from across the lake, and I found beached a Jack Pike about a 30 cm long, with a perch rammed right inside its mouth, both fish still alive so I separated them and put them back. Luckiest day that Perch has ever had I reckon.. twice in the frying pan.. back in the river...

No pictures though, long before camera Phones :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive seen it happen with the big ones, they dont mess about when it comes to lunch.....   I used to fish at a gravel pit years back, One day I descended down a steep slope to get into a corner I'd only ever seen from across the lake, and I found beached a Jack Pike about a 30 cm long, with a perch rammed right inside its mouth, both fish still alive so I separated them and put them back. Luckiest day that Perch has ever had I reckon.. twice in the frying pan.. back in the river...

No pictures though, long before camera Phones :huh:

My ex brother in law, caught a perch, whilst reeling a smaller perch in :lol:  as Williams and Watson said......two for the price of one :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went for my first days fishing yesterday morning. My first day back on my be-loved river Swale, in North Yorkshire. There`s a bridge over the river, where I always stop, to take a look at the river levels, before fishing. In the meadow next to the bridge in the early morning mist, was a Barn owl, working the meadow. I tried my best to get a picture, but he just wouldn`t stay still. Anyway a couple of pictures of North Yorkshire at Dawn, in all its glory. Can anybody identify the holes I found high up on the river bank? fished there before but never seen them, they were under a big chestnut tree, right on top of the river bank. Any way it was a glorious day, and I even caught a few fish, not that, that matters being in such beautiful surroundings is reward enough for getting up at 3am :) attachicon.gifDSCN0120.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0121.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0124.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0126.JPG

Harry. Hope your well my friend. Bet your made up the river season is finally upon us. Looks like a badger sett to me . love the pictures

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Harry. Hope your well my friend. Bet your made up the river season is finally upon us. Looks like a badger sett to me . love the pictures

Steve

Hi Steve, yes I`m well my friend, hope I find you the same. To say its only closed for 3 months, it`s like a lifetime to me :yes:  I love fishing the Rivers, we all like catching a few fish if possible, but at my age, I`m beginning to appreciate the surroundings I`m in more and more. You don`t see things like that sat in front of your xbox :lol:  as I keep reminding my 13 year old son :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Steve, yes I`m well my friend, hope I find you the same. To say its only closed for 3 months, it`s like a lifetime to me :yes:  I love fishing the Rivers, we all like catching a few fish if possible, but at my age, I`m beginning to appreciate the surroundings I`m in more and more. You don`t see things like that sat in front of your xbox :lol:  as I keep reminding my 13 year old son :thumbsup:

Harry. good thanks :hatsoff2: note to ones self must get on the rivers this season. not fished a river since god knows when. I,m fed up with puddle chucking.

I,m lucky in that my son Thomas who,s now 21 loves going fishing with me.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went to Norfolk for a week, saw an owl and a heron.

Also saw a Marsh Harrier but didn't get a picture.

Bill. Marsh harriers are one of my favourite birds, shame you didn't get a picture. 

They look like two different owls the first one a tawny and in the second picture looks like a barn owl. Which if it is I'm jealous because I haven't seen a barn owl for about three years.

Steve

Social source share

Bill. Marsh harriers are one of my favourite birds, shame you didn't get a picture. 

They look like two different owls the first one a tawny and in the second picture looks like a barn owl. Which if it is I'm jealous because I haven't seen a barn owl for about three years.

Steve

Steve,

They were definitely the same owl. Me and the Mrs watched it flying over a field on the other side of the river in Coltishall, Norfolk. Not great pics I know but it was quite a way off and very fast. I've found another of it.

Saw this duck as well off the north coast of Norfolk, Is it a merganser?

post-10143-0-89373200-1403883711_thumb.j

post-10143-0-97576400-1403884291_thumb.j

post-10143-0-06393900-1403884361_thumb.j

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Steve,

They were definitely the same owl. Me and the Mrs watched it flying over a field on the other side of the river in Coltishall, Norfolk. Not great pics I know but it was quite a way off and very fast. I've found another of it.

Saw this duck as well off the north coast of Norfolk, Is it a merganser?

Bill. its defo a barn owl now ive had a proper look on my laptop as opposed to looking on my kindle. the other bird,  it looks like a female merganser with the white double wing patch and the crest.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Malcolm

Yep, I`ll vouch for that - always have to take at least 20 cigs when I go carping!!!  :(

Social source share

Dave seen one a couple weeks ago over on the burton mere rspb reserve on the  Wirral, didn't get chance of a picture though. think they,re quite rare up here in the north west of England

Steve

I can honestly say I've only ever seen them in the south of England Steve, they are very common here though, a daily sight in fact, especially where there's Compositae (daisy type) flowers

Social source share

Hi folks!x I have shared my love of our wildlife and Countryside in here before. I was enjoying keeping up with this thread until January.....then got busy and leisure time such as it takes to read such delightful stuff.....dis-appeared!x I have tho' during my sabbatical witnessed many creatures out there! I have just clocked 55,000 miles scurrying around our Kingdoms as far as Inverness down to Portpatrick across to Berwick and the entire Coastline around England and Wales as well as every driveable road across the Yorkshire Moors....The Dales and Lake District. It's the most 'intensive' coverage I have ever done of the UK. In the 80's/90's I was doing on average 1,000 a week on business. I used to spot number plates and lorries to pass the time! For the past 10+ years i've shuttled up to 8 folk when cruising the Countryside and haven't had my focus on erm...the road and my external surroundings really! But...back on 'it' this year and I was stumped after the first week! Reason being is you can't do the number plates like we used to be able....and i've found my eyesight ain't what it was 20 years ago to spot a colour scheme and name that lorry firm from a mile away!! So....I was bored....and kept driving.....and then began to realise how many badgers....were 'freshly' deaded around the Country!!!! It has become my 'tick' as I plough through 400 miles a day on average.....except today.....streeeetch!!! Luvly!x 

So...2nd week of January I started to make a mental note of how many badgers I see dead. I can only say it as i;ve seen it.....and the figure is on average....25 a day.....in a random 400 mile trip through the lanes/highlands and valleys of the UK! I know they are cleared....I had to go to Westbury near Bath 3 times over 2 weeks.....different badgers each time! Same can be said Natonwide i;ve noticed! I don't know what my 'survey' sez....but that seems pretty more a better 'cull' than anything the Govt has come up with where necessary....shirley??!x I am ignorant about the Badger debate but that's what i;ve found out....and shared it here where i thought it may be appreciated!x I look forward to catching up with the thread soon!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

badger.jpg

This pic accompanied an article in which the British Forces were accused of releasing man eating Honey Badgers around Basra in 2003 as a security measure...!x

@@
~

Social source share

badger.jpg

This pic accompanied an article in which the British Forces were accused of releasing man eating Honey Badgers around Basra in 2003 as a security measure...!x

@@
~

Honey badgers are notoriously nasty beasts, I'd not want to meet one, they'd stand up to a Jackall

Social source share

No pics I am afraid but we have just got back from a few days travelling through the Carolinas. Whilst on the beach I was splashing in the surf and I was lucky enough to see a Dolphin pod go swimming by, maybe 50 feet in front of me! 

Anyone wanting to swim with a wild pod of dolphins should head to Serifos, one of the smaller Cycladic islands, there's a bay called Psili Amos where they come every September, I swam with them for years

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No pics I am afraid but we have just got back from a few days travelling through the Carolinas. Whilst on the beach I was splashing in the surf and I was lucky enough to see a Dolphin pod go swimming by, maybe 50 feet in front of me! 

I'd have crapped myself , thinking they were Sharks  :yes:  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

badger.jpg

@@

~

Honey badgers are notoriously nasty beasts, I'd not want to meet one, they'd stand up to a Jackall

I thought Sooty was taking the P  :ohmy:

Social source share

I seen a program recently about the honey badgers they are so clever but so evil and will take on anything. a pair of them seen off a pack of hyenas and have even made lions back down

Steve

Well I thought I knew a bit about wildlife , know a bit more now   , thanks  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I thought Sooty was taking the P  :ohmy:

.....it was a 'tester' as such Swifty!x Seeing as it has been received with the seriousness it deserves then I will add this......as a Journalist...I discovered Special Forces had indeed put 'sets' of Badgers around perimeters to deter and detect rogue elements in defence camps globally to include Iraq and currently Afghanistan. Better than a guard dog I hear with no maintenance requisites and they have a knack of discovering pipe bombs too!x

666.jpg

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

On a more local note....I have witnessed regularly a Starling feeding on the bread I chuck out on my patio....and then feeding a tubby Thrush the bread!! The Thrush just sits there next to the bread....the Starling gets a mouth full....goes to it and transfers it into the Thrush's mouth!! Been so interested in seeing it I ain't got round to photographing it yet!!x Lazy little bu**er the Thrush....sits right next to the bread and does nowt except wait for the Starling....what's that all about....I mean there is no mutual co-existence required like ants/aphids etc etc...is there?!x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think would take some explaining from the likes of Packham and King, not witnessed anything like that myself, starlings are not usually generous.

Dave. I will bet that the thrush is a fledgling and the starling will have just brooded its young, so for a short while there is a parental bond to feed chicks, any chicks that open there beaks will get a response from the adult.

Steve

Social source share