Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Guest gfarrington

last week at a work celebration at the kairos centre , angelus road roehampton, right next to richmond park so i was informed, i was sat in the grounds watching the planes coming into heathrow , when my attention was suddenly focused on the local wildlife , the usual rabbits grey squirrels etc then four birds started flying around, they were mostly green from a dark green tail to brighter shades on the body, not seen anything like these in the wild before & was wondering if anybody knew what they might be

regards 

gaz

Social source share

last week at a work celebration at the kairos centre , angelus road roehampton, right next to richmond park so i was informed, i was sat in the grounds watching the planes coming into heathrow , when my attention was suddenly focused on the local wildlife , the usual rabbits grey squirrels etc then four birds started flying around, they were mostly green from a dark green tail to brighter shades on the body, not seen anything like these in the wild before & was wondering if anybody knew what they might be

regards 

gaz

Parakeets, there's large colonies throughout the London parks, mostly ring necked parakeets I think
Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_8843.JPG

Adult badger. it took me a while to get this shot with the badger being covered by the daisies

attachicon.gifIMG_7895.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_7896.JPG

The above two pictures are of one of the two cubs born this year at the sett local to where I was on holiday

Steve

Lovely shots Steve, if you ever get down to south Wiltshire during the summer there's an old lady in Compton Chamberlayne that takes in orphan badgers, she has a pet otter too, always obliging if you're courteous.

Social source share

Lovely shots Steve, if you ever get down to south Wiltshire during the summer there's an old lady in Compton Chamberlayne that takes in orphan badgers, she has a pet otter too, always obliging if you're courteous.

Thanks for the info Dave. Of all the places in this country that I,ve visited either for nighters, fishing or photography I have never been to Wiltshire

Steve

Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_8777.JPG

This Chough chick only has pinkish feet and beak for about a month when it first leaves the nest. It then turns the distinctive bright red of the adults shown below

attachicon.gifIMG_4564.JPG

Steve

Forgot to add the the original post that Choughs are one of Britain rarest bird with the birds confined to Cornwall, Pembrokeshire and Anglesey. Maybe some in Scotland and Ireland ?

Steve

Social source share

Pretty sure the darker ones an f3 which is pretty god breeding, strange there claws and teeth rant like a domestic cats a lot bigger and sharper, they love raw chicken bones and they eat the bone as well !!!!

I have a friend in the UK with a Bengal that is honey coloured with spots, very vocal cat and always hungry. Lives with a German short haired pointer and bosses it about
Social source share

post-16724-0-83004000-1403193560_thumb.j

It's stunning, I'd just like a Jaguarundi now, that would be a close second

I have a friend in the UK with a Bengal that is honey coloured with spots, very vocal cat and always hungry. Lives with a German short haired pointer and bosses it about

They are very vocal, we can't pick the darker one up she's so independent where as the white ones a proper softie, here's a photo of the dog trying to lie on its bed lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went to a nature reserve in Spain  (Murcia) ,where they preserve the natural beaches and mountains no buildings for miles except the odd old farmhouse.A couple of photos but saw loads of lizards about 2 ft long but they are wary as ought so couldn't get a photo.The second one is of wildlife i'm still able to keep up with .There were also some lakes with waterfoul etc. Saw a large bird of prey ,Hoopoos and a small greyish brown bird with a pointed beak that was singing its little heart out.

Edited as just worked out how to load Photo's properly

And the yellow flower in the second photo is Pallenis spinosa, or at least a diminutive form of it
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Anything unusual about it because the tortoises wouldn't touch it and it had been very dry so they were hungry.

They have very hairy leaves and wouldn't taste good even to a tortoise, also the name spinosa suggests it has spines or spikes, not that I've looked that close, most plants here seem to have a built in defence system.

Edited by TattooDave
Social source share

Was the Tortoise really small or that Snail shell (bottom right) bloody huge ??

Yes it was a young tortoise about  80 mm x 55mm  but you do have to beware the deadly Spanish killer snails.

The tortoises actually eat the snail shells to build up their calcium intake, about 8 weeks after these were taken they aestivate which is the summer hibernation as it is too hot and dry.They will come out if there is substantial rain but normally reappear around September.The tortoise needs UV to enable its metabolism to create calcium for bone development etc. Their diet is mainly weeds (which also contain calcium) not lettuce fruit tomatoes and cucumber,they do love eating flowers maybe because of the nectar.          oops went off on one a bit there.

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share