Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

I've made bonsai out of trees that have been 5 metres tall, just prune it down to about a foot and watch it sprout in the spring

When Little Smith died my neighbour gave me what was akin to a twig in a bucket. Pretty sure it was a sycamore so I planted that with the thought of keeping it really small like a bonsai. It reached about ten feet tall this year so I recently cut that right back. It's obviously called Smiths Tree - I'll try and take a photo on my phone and see if I can post it up. Reminder to self - must get my arse in gear and sort out a camera. 

Little Smith was my old cat.  I had him for 18 years and he has been the most consistent thing I've ever had in my life. I miss him lots.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Dave. Lou said she's chuffed now she knows what it is. The secateurs are being readied as we speak.

Thanks

Steve

I worked on an eleagnus in the San Fernando valley in 1990 at a bonsai nursery on Glenoaks Drive, enormous trunk on it, must have been 10 inches across and only about 2 feet tall, so when you can dig it up and get it in a pot you'll see better results

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sadly though Pete the sycamore is a very difficult species to bonsai as the leaves always look too big to be convincing.  Better off with Field Maple (Acer campestre), much more forgiving and nicer leaf shape and autumn colour

It's ok Dave. However it turns out every time I look at it I always think of Little Smith - and that makes me happy or sad depending upon my mood.

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's ok Dave. However it turns out every time I look at it I always think of Little Smith - and that makes me happy or sad depending upon my mood.

:thumbsup:

I guess that's all that matters Pete, I had my dogs portrait tattooed on my side, he was 24 when he died of kidney failure, probably due to his liking of rum and blackcurrant, he was called Jock, a Wire Haired Fox Terrier of almost impeccable manners.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Took this pic from the balcony this evening. Yesterday's sunset was also stunning, but not as much as this one. Seems we always get them at this time of the year although not sure why exactly.

attachicon.gif_DSC1365.jpg

Russell. Lovely pic.

In relation to your question. I think the sunsets this time of year and the corresponding time in spring are due to the Sun going into or out of the Spring and autumn equinoxes.that's my theory.

Steve

Social source share

Russell. Lovely pic.

In relation to your question. I think the sunsets this time of year and the corresponding time in spring are due to the Sun going into or out of the Spring and autumn equinoxes.that's my theory.

Steve

I'd presumed that the equinoxes played a part, Steve, but didn't know what - until now...

Why are autumn and winter sunsets more vivid than any other time of the year?

First, a lesson in the colors of the rainbow: Blue light has a short wavelength, so it gets scattered easiest by air molecules, such as nitrogen and oxygen. Longer wavelength lights -- reds and oranges -- are not scattered as much by air molecules.

During sunrise and sunset, light from the sun must pass through much more of our atmosphere before reaching our eyes, so it comes into contact with even more molecules in the air. Much of the blue light gets scattered away, making the reds and oranges more pronounced.
During this time of year, weather patterns allow for dry, clean Canadian air to sweep across country, and more colors of the spectrum make it through to our eyes without getting scattered by particles in the air, producing brilliant sunsets and sunrises that can look red, orange, yellow or even pink.

Ignore the bit about Canada and apply the lesson as a general principle and there's the answer.  :thumbup:

Source: http://rooseveltsuw.blogspot.nl/2012/10/why-are-autumn-sunsets-so-vivid.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd presumed that the equinoxes played a part, Steve, but didn't know what - until now...

Ignore the bit about Canada and apply the lesson as a general principle and there's the answer.  :thumbup:

Source: http://rooseveltsuw.blogspot.nl/2012/10/why-are-autumn-sunsets-so-vivid.html

Russell. Now that you have mentioned it I vaguely remember something about the light passing through cleaner air

Steve

Social source share

Russell. Now that you have mentioned it I vaguely remember something about the light passing through cleaner air

Steve

Yup, I vaguely recall having read about this before, but it's one if the countless bits of info that have gone in one ear and out the other. Ask me in six months and I'll have forgotten again!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's where it was filmed Steve!x My Cousin in Hull is involved! The 'words' got out and it will be mobbed!x I have another super piece of footage of 'wildlife' here....I walked into it as I returned from my holiday.....the biggest.....hugest....spider I have ever seen....in the UK...sat on a pile of logs in me kitchen!!!! I filmed it.....will sort it out!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

http://youtu.be/498j4m_z2js

Just for you Peter!x

@@

~

:IB

SOOTY

C<<<

...hehe...I need me specs or a light on!!haha!!x

Great stuff. Those seals must have lots of contact with humans. They have a bite worse than a Rottweiler!

Has anyone ever been to Donna Nook near Mablethorpe? In November/December and January there is one of the biggest birthing colonies of Grey Seals in Europe. It's an amazing experience. You must know it Sooty - down the road from your old stomping ground.

You can see males fighting for dominance - something akin to David Attenborough real wild life. It's even more so amazing as the site is an active RAF bombing range.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was in Ireland in '97....based in Cork mainly. I used to go to Wexford on an evening to have a smoke along the beach and take some thinking time in. As I walked the first time...I noticed a large seal looking at me from about 200 yards out at sea. As I walked....it mirrored my every move! I walked about half a mile....he/she swam....kept popping his head up to see where I was.....then when I turned....it did the same....all the way back following me! I was there on and off for 7 months....and EVERY....EVERY time I went....the seal was waiting for me! It was the best friend I had....at those times....at hand! I haven't told many folk that one.....became personal...but I believe some of you in this thread would relate to it!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Great stuff. Those seals must have lots of contact with humans. They have a bite worse than a Rottweiler!

Has anyone ever been to Donna Nook near Mablethorpe? In November/December and January there is one of the biggest birthing colonies of Grey Seals in Europe. It's an amazing experience. You must know it Sooty - down the road from your old stomping ground.

You can see males fighting for dominance - something akin to David Attenborough real wild life. It's even more so amazing as the site is an active RAF bombing range.

Peter

I ain't seen them ones Peter but I do remember a few would be laying on the Humberstone mud flats when we used to go cockling in the 60's/70's!x Courting...blood fights and fangs.....naaaa....not for me!!!x I got a book for xmas...'Life' book about the Sea...had a Fossil one too....me mam got me them for xmas early 70's! I will never forget opening the books vivid picture pages and turning to the end where whales had been beached and cut open by whalers.....HORRIFIED. I wos...aged 10/11! Never liked seeing natures or mans wrath since! I don't kill any creature.....nearly kill meself when a rabbit or summink bolts in front of me motor!....!!x Same with humans....hate blood....especially me own....so always got one in first.....!!!hehe!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Peter

I have a mate in Hawaii that lost two fingers to a seal when he came to the UK, he thought they'd be cuddly as that's how they appear, big mistake.  He was used to gentle creatures like green turtle and manta ray that will let you tag along as they swim.  I did the manta ray thing off the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii, 25' wide manta rays pulling me along as if I was nothing, very humbling.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I thought I'd seen it all.... we were at an 'Apple Hooney' tonight in Tring, celebrating fall of the 'Apples' with a cheeky half and a bite to eat, and we got served Chips in a Toby Jug...!!!

Bit of wildlife to go with below that...

mal;_)

Interesting... A friend in the UK was complaining just the other day about chips nowadays being served in cups/jugs/bowls, etc. Basically anything that's smaller than the usual portion on a plate. Sounds like a trend that needs stopping - and quickly!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well it's October 8th. And I have just seen a juvenile swallow fly over. Probably no more than sixty feet above my head heading southward at a rate of knots. Obviously separated from its family group and also the latest by a long way that I have seen any in the UK. Good luck on your perilous journey

It amazes me how they can find there way even though this bird will have never made the migration before and like I said it's on its own it was still heading southward.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well it's October 8th. And I have just seen a juvenile swallow fly over. Probably no more than sixty feet above my head heading southward at a rate of knots. Obviously separated from its family group and also the latest by a long way that I have seen any in the UK. Good luck on your perilous journey

It amazes me how they can find there way even though this bird will have never made the migration before and like I said it's on its own it was still heading southward.

Steve

Now there's a Disney film in the making. Let's hope the little critter makes it!

• Helpful 3
Social source share