Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

martyn pitt, on 22 Sept 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I do not consider it unwieldy Russell ... just a case of clicking on the last page.

Why not open another thread for general photography, to run in tandem with it 

Winsford Soul, on 22 Sept 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Russell. I'm with Martyn on this one. There's so much more than picture's shared on this thread. The informative comments. The questions that arise from the photographs etc etc.

Still a fantastic thread after all this time and posts.

Steve

I agree. I haven't posted and photographs which I have taken personally but enjoy looking at other peoples pics and taking part in the discussion.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Saw this wee fella this morning in a right state, wobble-walking across the lawn, he was freezing cold. Looks like hypothermia had set in. He`s now de-frosting in the wash basket wrapped in a cardigan with a hot water bottle underneath. 

post-7917-0-20955700-1411386426_thumb.jp

Doesn`t he look toastie :yes:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I would have just started Part 2 Russell  :D

Anyway here is a blue and orange exorcet from Sunday, a bit far out across the reservoir even with the big lens, but at the speed they travel always a bonus to get it in focus and in the frame.

attachicon.gif424_030.jpg

I saw 5 of them on Sunday, including a pair zooming across the reservoir.

We had joked that they were heading for the ringing groups nets, when we got around by them it appeared one had.

I should point out that these guys are licensed to carry the ringing and recording.To see how small these birds are in the hand is always an eye opener. 

The ringer took this Kingfisher and laid it on it's back in his open palm, it just lay there for a minute then flew off.

attachicon.gif424_042.jpg

attachicon.gif424_045.jpg

Yes, 'part 2' was and is an option. Perhaps a new one for each season is an idea.

Kingfishers - known as Ijsvogels here (literally - ice birds)  are marvellous things to see. They seem to generally announce their impending travels with that high-pitched, single note whistle. Hear the whistle and you're almost guaranteed to see a flash of blue lightning streak low across the water.

In the summer we were having a waterside picnic in the Amsterdamse Bos (Amsterdam woods). A kingfisher was darting back and forth on the other bank quite frequently and, much to my surprise, seemed to have a preferred spot high in the trees. Certainly that's where it kept returning. By high, I mean perhaps 10m or more off the ground. I'd always associated them with having burrows in the sandy banks of rivers and waterways.

Having said that, reeds cover most banks, so perhaps a more woodpecker-like approach was the only practical option for this particular bird.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler
post-2867-0-58139100-1411487254_thumb.jp well not sure if this will work at all...I'm in Barbados right now and the wildlife is pretty special. From the hotel decking right on the beach we see this nature group come at night to collect turtles that are hatching out. During the day there are albatrosses swooping high in the sky and looking through binoculars they look magnificent. On the other end of the scale in that bush (if loaded correctly, looked upside down on the preview) there's a huming bird right of the puddle, below the sign. Sorry if it can't be made out. Ade
Social source share

attachicon.gif20140922_164100.jpg well not sure if this will work at all...I'm in Barbados right now and the wildlife is pretty special. From the hotel decking right on the beach we see this nature group come at night to collect turtles that are hatching out. During the day there are albatrosses swooping high in the sky and looking through binoculars they look magnificent. On the other end of the scale in that bush (if loaded correctly, looked upside down on the preview) there's a huming bird right of the puddle, below the sign. Sorry if it can't be made out. Ade

Can just about make something out if I tilt my head over to the left! Having been to that part of the world, I can testify in full accord that the wildlife is something else - especially the lobster on the beach  :D

Social source share

attachicon.gif20140922_164100.jpg well not sure if this will work at all...I'm in Barbados right now and the wildlife is pretty special. From the hotel decking right on the beach we see this nature group come at night to collect turtles that are hatching out. During the day there are albatrosses swooping high in the sky and looking through binoculars they look magnificent. On the other end of the scale in that bush (if loaded correctly, looked upside down on the preview) there's a huming bird right of the puddle, below the sign. Sorry if it can't be made out. Ade

Ade. I can make it out if I enlarge the picture. nice one

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

Glad you can make it out! It's body was about the size of a thumb with a narrow tail about 4 inches. It took nectar from about 10 to 15 flowers giving me time to take a snap. If I was more adept with phones I.e. using magnification it might have been a decent picture. Ade

Social source share

Is it just me or is there a veritable plague of leatherjackets/ daddy long legs about at the moment - I can`t remember ever seeing the quantity that are around??

September's the month for daddy long legs. Get a few early Aug then they tend to peak this month before the first frosts kill them off. Fish especially trout love them and can be caught quiet readily on a imitation daddy long legs fly. In Ireland they use the live adults in a method called dapping which basically involves hooking the fly gently so it's still alive then lowering it onto the waters surface so that it looks like it's landed naturally to fool the trout into taking the bait.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Heard a chiffchaff singing this morning. And I heard but couldn't see what sounded like a flock of parakeets flyover. Apparently there's quite a few in the Manchester area

Steve

They are plagued with them down south, whilst something rather colourful to photograph I would imagine they could have a detrimental effect on the native birds once they colonise an area.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Heard a chiffchaff singing this morning. And I heard but couldn't see what sounded like a flock of parakeets flyover. Apparently there's quite a few in the Manchester area

Steve

Loads over here as well, especially in Amsterdam's parks. We even have them out here in Aalsmeer. They roost nearby, so if we're on the balcony in the evening we can't help but hear them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I cycled to the woods of Amsterdam today — armed with camera — on what was a very grey and quite damp afternoon. My destination was a little place in the woods called Vogeleiland (Bird island), which is a small nature reserve. There are no signposts to tell you where it is, so if you don't already know, you're unlikely to find it.  :thumbsup:

Here's a few pics from the trip...

attachicon.gif_DSC1337-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1306-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1305-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1268-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1269-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1277-web.jpg

I'm useless at id'ing flowers, so if anyone feels inclined to tell me what they are, I'd be delighted.  :thumbup:

The first one is a geranium, but impossible to tell without better foliage photo,

Second is Euonymous europaeus, or common Spindle, very brittle wood but great autumn colour,

Third is a snail, but I guess you knew that? :wicked:

Fourth I have no idea without seeing more of the plant

Fifth is a Campion/ Catchfly, but I'm not sure which

Sixth is a cornflower of some sort.  I know more about Spanish flora!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I cycled to the woods of Amsterdam today — armed with camera — on what was a very grey and quite damp afternoon. My destination was a little place in the woods called Vogeleiland (Bird island), which is a small nature reserve. There are no signposts to tell you where it is, so if you don't already know, you're unlikely to find it.  :thumbsup:

Here's a few pics from the trip...

attachicon.gif_DSC1337-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1306-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1305-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1268-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1269-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC1277-web.jpg

I'm useless at id'ing flowers, so if anyone feels inclined to tell me what they are, I'd be delighted.  :thumbup:

Russell. Dave the man for the flowers mate. Nice pictures by the way

Steve

Social source share

The first one is a geranium, but impossible to tell without better foliage photo,

Second is Euonymous europaeus, or common Spindle, very brittle wood but great autumn colour,

Third is a snail, but I guess you knew that? :wicked:

Fourth I have no idea without seeing more of the plant

Fifth is a Campion/ Catchfly, but I'm not sure which

Sixth is a cornflower of some sort.  I know more about Spanish flora!

Great stuff, Dave. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Didn't connect that the second pic was of Spindle as I've seen them elsewhere in the woods, but with more of a luminescent magenta colour. And now I know what a snail looks like... :D   :rofl:

Social source share

Great stuff, Dave. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Didn't connect that the second pic was of Spindle as I've seen them elsewhere in the woods, but with more of a luminescent magenta colour. And now I know what a snail looks like... :D   :rofl:

The Euonymous family are marvellous, deciduous and evergreens, variegated foliage on some, different coloured seeds and seed cases, some with outstanding autumn colour, great for bonsai, and believe it or not they used to make spindles out of them for lace making.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share