Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

I went carp fishing on a lake yesterday and saw a kingfisher, heron, gorgeous dragonflies, swifts (or swallows) dive bombing and something I`d never seen before - lots of fish `tail walking` out of the water.  They were bronze coloured so probably carp, but I had no idea they did this and I`ve never seen anything like it before.

Social source share

I went carp fishing on a lake yesterday and saw a kingfisher, heron, gorgeous dragonflies, swifts (or swallows) dive bombing and something I`d never seen before - lots of fish `tail walking` out of the water.  They were bronze coloured so probably carp, but I had no idea they did this and I`ve never seen anything like it before.

Pete. The birds would have been swallows or house Martin's. Swifts left for Africa about a month ago.regarding the carp tail walking its a common occurrence and can be seen at most lakes be they natural or commercials. Some people think they do it to rid themselves of parasites especially from the gills and other's say it's a part of spawning but given the time of year you saw it that's a bit unlikely but saying that when I was fishing last week their was a lot of activity in the marginal reed beds like what happens when they're spawning so maybe this warm weather has caused them to spawn again.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete. The birds would have been swallows or house Martin's. Swifts left for Africa about a month ago.regarding the carp tail walking its a common occurrence and can be seen at most lakes be they natural or commercials. Some people think they do it to rid themselves of parasites especially from the gills and other's say it's a part of spawning but given the time of year you saw it that's a bit unlikely but saying that when I was fishing last week their was a lot of activity in the marginal reed beds like what happens when they're spawning so maybe this warm weather has caused them to spawn again.

Steve

Thanks Steve - you`re a mine of information as ever.  I always get swallows and swifts mixed up.  I was fishing on a natural lake this time, and whilst I only took up carp fishing a couple of years ago I`ve never seen carp tail walking before so I was quite taken aback (no wonder I couldn`t get a bite on the lake bottom!!).  Cheers, Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They look fantastic don`t they, i`ve always loved spiders, ever since I was about 12 when we had a fruit and veg shop. we found a big boy in a box of Bananas.

Had to call out the public health bods to take it away.  :D

Social source share

Lovely selection of pics, Steve. I particularly like the light in some of them - very autumnal with deep greens, heavy blacks and strong hints of yellow.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Russell. Yeah the colours are starting to turn to there Autumn shades, which in sunlight makes for some amazing sights. Will have a look through to see what I have knocking about in my files

Steve

Social source share

Thanks Russell. Yeah the colours are starting to turn to there Autumn shades, which in sunlight makes for some amazing sights. Will have a look through to see what I have knocking about in my files

Steve

I'm slowly coming to the realisation that Autumn and it warm, golden hues are my favourite - although until recently if someone asked I'd always have said Spring with it's sharp greens and fresh vibrancy. Maybe it's an age thing - I don't know.

And I've just realised something about your heron pic. Do you remember the TV series Tarzan - the one with Ron Ely? I'm positive that in the opening credits there's a white heron or egret in almost the same pose and situation - disturbed and caught mid-flight by a bank of reeds. Might have to check and see if it's on YouTube!

Social source share

I'm slowly coming to the realisation that Autumn and it warm, golden hues are my favourite - although until recently if someone asked I'd always have said Spring with it's sharp greens and fresh vibrancy. Maybe it's an age thing - I don't know.

Russell. Spring is undoubtedly my favourite season followed closely by Autumn. All that newness in the tree,s, flowers and the arrival of lambs quickly followed by the spring migrants arriving. Hearing the first Chiffchaff or Cuckoo. When you see the first Swallow's. etc etc

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We had a Raven over today :glare:

Ravens have gone from being a rare bird to a not quite rare bird in a few short years, it's amazing what nature can do if left to its own device without any interfering from mankind. They're true master's of flight, watching them ride the thermals over a cliff or quarry is a fabulous sight.

Steve

Social source share

Ravens have gone from being a rare bird to a not quite rare bird in a few short years, it's amazing what nature can do if left to its own device without any interfering from mankind. They're true master's of flight, watching them ride the thermals over a cliff or quarry is a fabulous sight.

Steve

The trouble is they are very clever predators .

Social source share

The trouble is they are very clever predators .

Kev. As you said they're very clever as are all members of the corvid family.have you ever seen they guy on springwatch that brings the raven into the unsprung studio. It does all sorts of thing's to get food completely untrained just by looking at what ever the food is contained in then working out the solution. They're a top predator , they have even been known to take peregrine falcon eggs from the nest. Now that is something.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve

Think there are a few around the Rutland water area.

Social source share

A bugger? What's a bugger?

:g:

A rascal, good-for-nothing, reprobate, unprincipled person, cheat, swindler, fraudster, trickster, charlatan, villain, bastard, beast, son of a bitch, s.o.b., rat, louse, swine, dog, hound, skunk, heel, snake, snake in the grass, wretch, scumbag, bad egg or stinker...

:D 

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

A rascal, good-for-nothing, reprobate, unprincipled person, cheat, swindler, fraudster, trickster, charlatan, villain, bastard, beast, son of a bitch, s.o.b., rat, louse, swine, dog, hound, skunk, heel, snake, snake in the grass, wretch, scumbag, bad egg or stinker...

:D 

:lol:  :facepalm:  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Saw two red kites today in Yorkshire while I was driving so couldn't take pictures.

First one on the way to Nidderdale but the second one was right on the outskirts of Leeds coming back from Harrogate near the Leeds Grammar School.

How do you know the Red Kite was coming back from Harrogate?  :wicked:  :D

I'll get me coat.

Nice

:elvis:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Saw two red kites today in Yorkshire while I was driving so couldn't take pictures.

First one on the way to Nidderdale but the second one was right on the outskirts of Leeds coming back from Harrogate near the Leeds Grammar School.

That's fabulous news. Not seen any in Manchester/north west apart from one near Chester about two years ago, but I don't think it will be to many year's before their are regular sightings of them all over the north of England.

Steve

Social source share

Was out and about locally today and I finally managed to get a dragonfly picture but when I looked at my camera settings I had turned off the image stabilization so the picture turned out a bit blurred. Gutted. Note to myself CHECK camera settings before I try to use it. Will post image when I get chance so Martyn can identify it for me (please). I think it's a hawker of some description

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was out and about locally today and I finally managed to get a dragonfly picture but when I looked at my camera settings I had turned off the image stabilization so the picture turned out a bit blurred. Gutted. Note to myself CHECK camera settings before I try to use it. Will post image when I get chance so Martyn can identify it for me (please). I think it's a hawker of some description

Steve

If it's got a lot of blue on it I would guess a Migrant Hawker at this time of the year.

There is a great Dragonfly ID book - Britains Dragonflies by Dave Smallshire & Andy Swash, Dave & Andy are experts on them, the book is well worth the money.

Social source share

If it's got a lot of blue on it I would guess a Migrant Hawker at this time of the year.

There is a great Dragonfly ID book - Britains Dragonflies by Dave Smallshire & Andy Swash, Dave & Andy are experts on them, the book is well worth the money.

Thanks Martyn. It was mostly green with blue band's.about 3 1/2" maybe 4" long. And another I seen was red with orange bands but that was about 2" long

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Thanks Martyn. It was mostly green with blue band's.about 3 1/2" maybe 4" long. And another I seen was red with orange bands but that was about 2" long

Steve

For the larger one it could be a Southern Hawker, the red / orange one probably a Common Darter.

Look these up on line and see which looks the closest to what you saw, just be aware that immature ones can vary slightly in colouring.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Morning all.

Your thoughts, please...

I'm thinking about wrapping up this thread as with nearly 1150 posts, it's starting to get unwieldy. I also think that being so long, it's unlikely that anyone who hasn't already joined the party is going to bother to sift through 23 pages.

In it's place, I was thinking about starting a more general photography thread, so that it might appeal to more members here and give scope for a greater variety of contributions. 

At the end of the day though, this thread has only gone on so long, and become so lengthy (and had so many great photos), because of the contributions from you guys, so it's only fair to ask for your thoughts.

Keep this one going or start a new, broader 'photography' thread where members can post decent pics they've taken and want to share?

What do you think?

Social source share