Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

attachicon.gifIMG_8030.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8031.JPG

Here's a couple of pictures taken earlier this year in Pembrokeshire.  the Bullfinches where a everyday sighting but these happened to be the only pictures that I managed to capture

Steve

Well done you, I saw one near Cuenca in June, near some cherry trees in fruit, but too quick to photograph, they get shot here, as do a lot of harmless birds

Social source share

Now that's a bird I would like to see, I've spent hours at Leighton moss rspb reserve trying to see them . hope this winter is a cross of my list

Steve

Steve when i'm tucked up in the reeds in my boat they come within touching distance of me.

Social source share

Well done you, I saw one near Cuenca in June, near some cherry trees in fruit, but too quick to photograph, they get shot here, as do a lot of harmless birds

Thanks Dave. That's the problem in a lot of southern European countries. If it moves or flies shoot it. There's a big push by the RSPB at the moment to try and stop a lot of the illegal shooting and mist netting that takes place in the spring and autumn during the migration periods.

Steve

Social source share

Thanks Dave. That's the problem in a lot of southern European countries. If it moves or flies shoot it. There's a big push by the RSPB at the moment to try and stop a lot of the illegal shooting and mist netting that takes place in the spring and autumn during the migration periods.

Steve

Wherever I go plant hunting there's always signs for private shoot, I take no notice unless there's guns going off, but they do shoot everything, they have no respect for animals at all, I think it's the North African blood.

Dave

Social source share

I'm sure he must mean continental Europe Russell, once the birds reach the UK, they are generally clear of being shot at or mist netted for the table.

This is why I'm asking. The mass slaughter of birds across Europe during migration through shooting, netting and liming is well catalogued, of course. In fact, the first time I read about it was in an RSPB or Young Ornithologist Club magazine back in the 70s. That gives me the impression that little progress has been made in re-educating those who engage in it - sadly.

Social source share

This is why I'm asking. The mass slaughter of birds across Europe during migration through shooting, netting and liming is well catalogued, of course. In fact, the first time I read about it was in an RSPB or Young Ornithologist Club magazine back in the 70s. That gives me the impression that little progress has been made in re-educating those who engage in it - sadly.

You're quite right Russell, the "hunters" are blind to the fact that they are slaughtering needlessly whether it's big game, wolves and bears in North America, fish and other marine creatures or tiny song birds, they just do it for fun.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Russell . Been away since Sat night. I meant continental Europe. The only mist netting that takes place in the UK that I'm aware of is for fitting identity rings on migrant and sometimes UK resident birds.

Steve

Thanks for the clarification. I presumed that's what you meant unless the practice had suddenly become prevalent in the UK for some reason.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fishing yesterday and over the five hours actually lakeside there must have been approximately two thousand house Martin's flew over in various sized flocks. All heading south. the largest contained about two hundred bird's.A sure sign that Autumn is creeping up on us.

Such a sad time of year for me as one of the highlights of the year is when the Swallows, Martin's and Swifts turn up so to see them leave means I have to wait till next March/ April till I see them again.

Steve

Social source share

Fishing yesterday and over the five hours actually lakeside there must have been approximately two thousand house Martin's flew over in various sized flocks. All heading south. the largest contained about two hundred bird's.A sure sign that Autumn is creeping up on us.

Such a sad time of year for me as one of the highlights of the year is when the Swallows, Martin's and Swifts turn up so to see them leave means I have to wait till next March/ April till I see them again.

Steve

Likewise - when spring comes around there's always that high element of anticipation. Not only is it great to see them return, but you know that summer is not far behind.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sat out in the garden this morning listening to a chiffchaff and watching a couple of swallows perched on a phone cable.

Steve

Your mention of swallows on cables reminded me of a pic I had in the files. You can't really see it in the photo, but it was chucking it down with rain really hard.

I think the swallow may have been exhausted because it just sat on the pole for ages getting soaked while its nest was just a few metres away. Happily it did seem to recover and eventually flew away looking none the worse for wear.

post-9478-0-18192400-1410009344_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Your mention of swallows on cables reminded me of a pic I had in the files. You can't really see it in the photo, but it was chucking it down with rain really hard.

I think the swallow may have been exhausted because it just sat on the pole for ages getting soaked while its nest was just a few metres away. Happily it did seem to recover and eventually flew away looking none the worse for wear.

attachicon.gifSwallow in the Rain.jpg

Russell. That's so spooky. It started to rain here in Manchester believe it or not and the swallows just sat there, ruffling there feathers then preening themselves as though they where having a shower and enjoying their selves before there mamouth journey south.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

While digging through my archived files, I also came across this shot from 2009 and which I took in the woods of Amsterdam one autumnal evening. I'd gone out with the camera specifically to see if I could get some shots of the geese that graze on the marshy grasslands that can be found there.

attachicon.gifDSC_6243-NEW.jpg

Russell, that's a really atmospheric picture. Nice one.

Steve

Social source share

Russell. That's so spooky. It started to rain here in Manchester believe it or not and the swallows just sat there, ruffling there feathers then preening themselves as though they where having a shower and enjoying their selves before there mamouth journey south.

Steve

Interesting. So possibly sitting in the rain is a deliberate action that's part of the preening process. Have to say that the one in the pic didn't engage in any preening at all. It just sat there looking very sorrowful. Of course, that may just have been me projecting my human emotions onto what I saw! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Two of the plant foods of the Monarch butterfly larva which I'm wanting to introduce to the community gardens here, early days, but I'll be propagating from these.

I don't know the first thing about plants, but I'm sure I've taken photos of the Asclepia curassavica in London's Regent's Park. It's a very distinctive plant and not easily forgotten.

Social source share

I don't know the first thing about plants, but I'm sure I've taken photos of the Asclepia curassavica in London's Regent's Park. It's a very distinctive plant and not easily forgotten.

I'm sure you could well have, it's been around for years as an herbaceous perennial, doesn't get grown as much as it should be, but orange is never an easy colour to place in the garden.

Social source share

I'm sure you could well have, it's been around for years as an herbaceous perennial, doesn't get grown as much as it should be, but orange is never an easy colour to place in the garden.

Found the picture and I'm right - it was Regent's Park. This was taken in August 2007.

It is the same plant?

Had to take a photo then as I thought that not only did it have amazing colours, but the overall shape of it was rather stunning. Never seen another one since.

post-9478-0-57690700-1410024197_thumb.jp
Social source share

Found the picture and I'm right - it was Regent's Park. This was taken in August 2007.

It is the same plant?

Had to take a photo then as I thought that not only did it have amazing colours, but the overall shape of it was rather stunning. Never seen another one since.

Yes Russell, same plant, and I must agree it is amazing, undergrown, and yet so easy, looks stunning with Agapanthus and Perovskia, or some of the blue/ purple salvias

Social source share

Steve

A trip none stop across the Sahara to come.Incredible bird.

Did you get my pm btw.

Social source share

well they are blues and purples, orange works with colours the opposite of the colour wheel

Dave , I know you know your stuff , can you give me an idea (without a piccy) what we have , my Mum says it's called 'Pacific Beauty'  and she paid a £5 for a little palnt then gave me half of it ? it's about 6ft tall with Purpley Green leaves and has just had an Orange flower on it. Last year we split it with a spade and it's even bigger but the other bit is only half Its size.

Social source share

Dave , I know you know your stuff , can you give me an idea (without a piccy) what we have , my Mum says it's called 'Pacific Beauty'  and she paid a £5 for a little palnt then gave me half of it ? it's about 6ft tall with Purpley Green leaves and has just had an Orange flower on it. Last year we split it with a spade and it's even bigger but the other bit is only half Its size.

It's a Canna lily, likes to be well fed and watered, won't stand a British winter without a really good mulch, but is easy enough to dig up after the frosts and keep in a large pot.

post-33051-0-97608500-1410109086_thumb.j

Edited by TattooDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That's the kiddy !! nice one Dave , lovely plant though , just right for our courtyard  :thumbsup:  Thanks mate  :wink:

My pleasure Swifty, it's a lovely family of plants, some mightily colourful and some quite plain by comparison, make a very impressive border plant if you can keep the slugs and snail at bay.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-33051-0-61418000-1410459778_thumb.j My last foray into the mountains today before I fly to the UK for a week, I found this large bee idling on a Daphne gnidium waiting for it to warm up.

post-33051-0-05268100-1410459806_thumb.j This was one of the reasons I wanted to go, though I didn't expect them to be in flower because of the lack of rain, however they were plentiful and looking wonderful with no snails or slugs to munch on them.post-33051-0-05975400-1410459834_thumb.j Quite a few butterflies still about, mostly too quick for me, but I think this is a Silver Studded Blue.

post-33051-0-15519500-1410459861_thumb.j This is the main reason for my trip today, the foliage is evident during the spring, so the plant has to be located then, and a good memory lets you know where to look.  As none of my books have a photo of it in flower, and only two of them mention it, one giving a line drawing, and a note saying they're in flower from September to October I decided to risk a trip and hope for the best.  The first location was hopeless, but persistence paid, and I've bagged Lapiedra martinezii, it smells faintly of lilac, and as it doesn't appear in the books has to be scarce, I'm one happy bunny.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_9634.JPG

A male Robin singing its little heart out.

That's the romantic notion, its actually a matter of life or death for him regarding defining his territory and the food that's available in it to see him through the coming winter and also to attract a mate

Steve

Not seen (my) Robin all summer -probably different ones!  :D

Anyway, the old lad has been back everyday for the last week - singing like a good un. 

Looking out of my kitchen window the other morning, across the fields to the Grantham Canal tow path, there was a huge Heron sat up in a tree. I see plenty of herons along the canal but I've never seen one in that tree from my kitchen window. 

My hedgehogs have continued to visit every night. I bought them some special hedgehog food from the pet shop to supplement the chicken and stuff I out out for them - I'm pretty sure I can see the growth in them. Hopefully, it might be enough to make the difference between them surviving thorough the winter or not. 

And finally, my little fox has become a very regular visitor each evening so he's getting fed too. He enjoyed a whole Lidl beef bourguignon pie last night amongst a couple of other bits.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not seen (my) Robin all summer -probably different ones!  :D

Anyway, the old lad has been back everyday for the last week - singing like a good un. 

Looking out of my kitchen window the other morning, across the fields to the Grantham Canal tow path, there was a huge Heron sat up in a tree. I see plenty of herons along the canal but I've never seen one in that tree from my kitchen window. 

My hedgehogs have continued to visit every night. I bought them some special hedgehog food from the pet shop to supplement the chicken and stuff I out out for them - I'm pretty sure I can see the growth in them. Hopefully, it might be enough to make the difference between them surviving thorough the winter or not. 

And finally, my little fox has become a very regular visitor each evening so he's getting fed too. He enjoyed a whole Lidl beef bourguignon pie last night amongst a couple of other bits.

Peter

Peter. Good evening my friend :hatsoff2: Can me and Lou move into your garden. Fox with a taste for fine dining, Hedgehogs with a taste for gourmet meals. me n Lou will eat chips and egg

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Peter. Good evening my friend :hatsoff2: Can me and Lou move into your garden. Fox with a taste for fine dining, Hedgehogs with a taste for gourmet meals. me n Lou will eat chips and egg

Steve

Good Evening Sir 

I hope you're well. I do tend to spoil the animals - one of my very few indulgences, apart from booze and records! 

You and Lou would always be welcome mate - but..........................its egg and chips not chips and egg!

Peter

:D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's been a gorgeous summer day here in Noord-Holland, so much so that we had lunch on the terras of a lake-side eatery just a few minutes walk from us.

While sipping on a glass of rosé and looking out across the marina, I was pleasantly surprised to see a good half a dozen swallows or more.

post-9478-0-38773600-1410556267_thumb.jp

Not having seen any of the summer migrants for a little while now, I'd presumed them all gone.

Anyone else still seeing them?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's been a gorgeous summer day here in Noord-Holland, so much so that we had lunch on the terras of a lake-side eatery just a few minutes walk from us.

While sipping on a glass of rosé and looking out across the marina, I was pleasantly surprised to see a good half a dozen swallows or more.

attachicon.gifRoseatCafeDragt.jpg

Not having seen any of the summer migrants for a little while now, I'd presumed them all gone.

Anyone else still seeing them?

Good Evening Russell. Hope your well .(on Kindle now so no smileys )Still seeing plenty of swallows and Martin's in the north west of the UK. In fact I was trying to photograph them yesterday whilst I was fishing. That's when the above robin picture was taken.

Steve

Social source share

Good Evening Russell. Hope your well .(on Kindle now so no smileys )Still seeing plenty of swallows and Martin's in the north west of the UK. In fact I was trying to photograph them yesterday whilst I was fishing. That's when the above robin picture was taken.

Steve

Very well, Steve, thanks. It's a busy weekend locally and tomorrow is a large scale event that I can only describe as a "crazy boat race". About 150 praams - small boats (translates in English as 'barge', but that's not correct) — will be gaudily decorated in whatever colourful and crazy style each team chooses, and at about midday they'll all set off on a race of sorts that'll see them sail through the main canals, around various islands, and then on to the finish line in town. It's party time all round.

Very interesting to know that you've still got some of the summer migrants. I always think of them disappearing early September, and not having seen any recently had presumed they'd gone a little earlier than usual. However, we haven't lived in this place for a full year yet, so haven't experienced everything that the seasons bring - and take away. 

As were so close to a good sized lake, I guess that the remaining summer birds are over the water, which would explain why we're seeing none from home.

Just had a quick search on YouTube and found a vid of last year's pramenrace. A quick skip through it'll give you an idea of what's in store tomorrow...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Very well, Steve, thanks. It's a busy weekend locally and tomorrow is a large scale event that I can only describe as a "crazy boat race". About 150 praams - small boats (translates in English as 'barge', but that's not correct) — will be gaudily decorated in whatever colourful and crazy style each team chooses, and at about midday they'll all set off on a race of sorts that'll see them sail through the main canals, around various islands, and then on to the finish line in town. It's party time all round.

Very interesting to know that you've still got some of the summer migrants. I always think of them disappearing early September, and not having seen any recently had presumed they'd gone a little earlier than usual. However, we haven't lived in this place for a full year yet, so haven't experienced everything that the seasons bring - and take away.

As were so close to a good sized lake, I guess that the remaining summer birds are over the water, which would explain why we're seeing none from home.

Just had a quick search on YouTube and found a vid of last year's pramenrace. A quick skip through it'll give you an idea of what's in store tomorrow...

http://youtu.be/IcLx9w-IESQ

Russell. The boat after veronica looks like the one I would prefer to be on. It looks like a good excuse for a good session on the beer.

I'm still hearing chiffchaff,s singing out the back from my garden. Last year it was the 7th Sept when I seen the last swallows so this year they're hanging around a bit longer obviously due to the fabulous weather that we are having at the moment which is resulting in enough insects for the birds to feed on

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. The boat after veronica looks like the one I would prefer to be on. It looks like a good excuse for a good session on the beer.

I'm still hearing chiffchaff,s singing out the back from my garden. Last year it was the 7th Sept when I seen the last swallows so this year they're hanging around a bit longer obviously due to the fabulous weather that we are having at the moment which is resulting in enough insects for the birds to feed on

Steve

That's the key - a greater insect population than last year. We were sat on the balcony late this evening and the volume of small biting flying things was quite surprising. At the same time though, cobwebs and rather sizeable spiders are appearing at an alarming rate everywhere we look. One begets the other, of course...

• Helpful 1
Social source share