Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Wooah there. Hold your horses... The swifts may be making an early departure, but that doesn't mean summer's over just yet. It's only the 2nd of August. We had a BBQ in the Amsterdam woods last night, and when we got home sat on the balcony til around midnight. Just come in from the balcony a couple of minutes ago (10:30pm local time). Summer is very much still here!

That said, I did notice the absence of swifts mid-week. There were a few still around, mainly making their presence known at dusk, but tonight the skies were silent.

For those who may be missing them already, here's a couple of pics I took while on holiday. The one of the swift over the water isn't anywhere near as sharp as it could have been, but I do like the effect of the sea in the background.

attachicon.gifDSC_9913-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_9776-NEW-web.jpg

Long live summer! 

Love the pictures Russell. Didn't mean to make summer's over as dramatic as it sounded sorry bout that. As you say it's only the 2nd of August. 

Another bird that's missing around here at the moment  is the chiff chaff, normally hear it untill September, all gone quite unless they're moulting after the breeding season getting there feathers in shape for the migration.

It's a very quiet time for birding at the moment.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm pleased to say that some swifts stay in this part of Spain all winter or I'm led to believe they do, though the swallows and martins fly south, probably not as far as their northern counterparts however.  As this will be my first winter in Spain, and if it's as dry as the last one I'll be happy, though for all the wrong reasons as this part of the country desperately needs rain, I'm hoping to see lots of new things.  I hope to get a close up shot of a spotless starling before long, and maybe even a Hoopoe, and if I can get a bit of plant hunting in the Sierra Nevadas I'll be more than happy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm pleased to say that some swifts stay in this part of Spain all winter or I'm led to believe they do, though the swallows and martins fly south, probably not as far as their northern counterparts however.  As this will be my first winter in Spain, and if it's as dry as the last one I'll be happy, though for all the wrong reasons as this part of the country desperately needs rain, I'm hoping to see lots of new things.  I hope to get a close up shot of a spotless starling before long, and maybe even a Hoopoe, and if I can get a bit of plant hunting in the Sierra Nevadas I'll be more than happy.

Dave. Would love to see a Hoopoe. That's another bird on my list, apparently they turn up regularly down south. Not known in the north west as far as I'm aware.

You will have to keep us informed regarding the Swifts. 

You can gladly have some of this rain that's fell in the Manchester area this last 24 hrs. 

Steve

Social source share

Dave. Would love to see a Hoopoe. That's another bird on my list, apparently they turn up regularly down south. Not known in the north west as far as I'm aware.

You will have to keep us informed regarding the Swifts. 

You can gladly have some of this rain that's fell in the Manchester area this last 24 hrs. 

Steve

I've seen Hoopoe in Wiltshire Steve, and a Golden Oriole, but that was years ago.  I see Hoopoe on a regular basis here, mostly the males as they are more obvious.  The swifts are plentiful, as are the flies and buzzing insects, so there's plenty for them to eat.

As for the rain, how I'd enjoy it, I've seen very little since February, in fact, the most rain I've seen since then was when I was in Eastbourne having gone back for a funeral, and I only then had time to nip in a pub for a pint of Guinness, allowing for crossing a busy road, the pouring time and a raging thirst, I'm guessing 15 minutes maximum, it was all finished when I left the pub.  It's almost semi desert here, lots of palm trees though, and you don't see many of them in Manchester.  I'm almost looking forward to a warm Christmas, and hope to be on the beach for it.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seen Hoopoes a couple of times - first time was in the Beachy Head area when I was a kid. That would have been 35+ years ago. Seeing it was a real thrill as it was so unexpected. Also saw one on the Greek island of Lesvos on our last holiday. Marvellous birds!

Beachy Head was my first sighting of an Osprey as it was heading back to Africa, being mobbed by a few corvines, couldn't tell what they were, probably crows, that was many years ago too.  Supposedly they have Raven's nesting there now too.

Social source share

Never yet seen an osprey! There was a report of a sighting locally a couple of years ago; it was spotted in one of the marshland parks.

I always remember Dad taking us as kids to the Loch Garten RSPB reserve after reports of a sighting (we lived in Scotland at that time). All we saw was an empty nest.

Other birds I've yet to see here in the Netherlands are owls. If I cycle my way to and from the monthly Amsterdam Soul Club, I often hear them very clearly late at night on the way there and early in the morning on the way home, but I've yet to spot one. One day, hopefully.

Social source share

Never yet seen an osprey! There was a report of a sighting locally a couple of years ago; it was spotted in one of the marshland parks.

I always remember Dad taking us as kids to the Loch Garten RSPB reserve after reports of a sighting (we lived in Scotland at that time). All we saw was an empty nest.

Other birds I've yet to see here in the Netherlands are owls. If I cycle my way to and from the monthly Amsterdam Soul Club, I often hear them very clearly late at night on the way there and early in the morning on the way home, but I've yet to spot one. One day, hopefully.

I've had Little owl, Barn owl and Tawny owl as pets, all trained to the fist, and have flown an Eagle owl from the fist too, but then eccentric has always been a way of life for me, had a Bengal Tigress share my bed for nearly two years, but that's another story.  I hear owls in southern Spain, but have yet to seen any here.  Goshawks and Eagles are in abundance though.

Social source share

I've had Little owl, Barn owl and Tawny owl as pets, all trained to the fist, and have flown an Eagle owl from the fist too, but then eccentric has always been a way of life for me, had a Bengal Tigress share my bed for nearly two years, but that's another story.  I hear owls in southern Spain, but have yet to seen any here.  Goshawks and Eagles are in abundance though.

Hi Dave and All

There's an amazing series on National Geographic Wild called Wild Spain. Worth watching out for.

Petre

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Now these are stunning to watch flying around, in the air they look a blue colour, but when perched you can see that they are an metallic blue-green colour depending how the light catches them.

There were two males and occasionally a female flying around above a small pool of water behind the valve house of the dam.

Male Banded Demoiselle

attachicon.gif419_075.jpg

attachicon.gif419_101.jpg

attachicon.gif419_107.jpg

attachicon.gif419_112.jpg

The Grantham Canal runs past the back of my house so I see plenty of these types of creatures - not knowledgeable enough to know the different species, so I relate to them as different dragon flies. Absolutely beautiful though and as I say lots of different species flying around my garden.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-33051-0-59556900-1407087576_thumb.j I'm hoping this was a Common Darter, I had no idea that I took it.

post-33051-0-38815200-1407087724_thumb.j This big girl was being exercised locally, I was told not to touch her sadly, I thought she could use a hug

post-33051-0-49799100-1407087965_thumb.j This had me fooled until I got closer, some wag carved it and stuck it on a rock at the Sierra de Las Nieves park

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Now these are stunning to watch flying around, in the air they look a blue colour, but when perched you can see that they are a metallic blue-green colour depending how the light catches them.

There were two males and occasionally a female flying around above a small pool of water behind the valve house of the dam.

Male Banded Demoiselle

attachicon.gif419_075.jpg

attachicon.gif419_101.jpg

attachicon.gif419_107.jpg

attachicon.gif419_112.jpg

Martyn. See them every time I,m fishing but never take my camera. Top pictures as always :hatsoff2:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. Apparently the Netherlands are one of the best places in Europe to see Eagle owls. They have even been reported as  breeding in a few secret places in the UK.

I,m lucky enough to hear/see tawny owls very regular probably on a weekly basis

Steve

Social source share

Russell. Apparently the Netherlands are one of the best places in Europe to see Eagle owls. They have even been reported as  breeding in a few secret places in the UK.

I,m lucky enough to hear/see tawny owls very regular probably on a weekly basis

Steve

I heard that Tengmalm's Owl was breeding in Norfolk too, now that I'd like to see

Social source share

Dave. that sounds interesting

Steve

I was told late last Spring, by a twitcher when he was over here, he'd seen the site and said everyone was keeping quiet about it until they fledged, so hopefully they've managed to raise a brood, though I don't know whether they'd stay or what their offspring would do.

Dave

Social source share

Still Swifts in the Manchester skies today :thumbup:

Steve

Sand matins were common here in Norfolk when i was a kid,not seen one for years.(i live 150 yrds from beach cliffs where they nested).

Swifts ,swallows and House martins are a bit thin on the ground these days too.

And we see more gold and greenfinches than sparrows

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

Sand matins were common here in Norfolk when i was a kid,not seen one for years.(i live 150 yrds from beach cliffs where they nested).

Swifts ,swallows and House martins are a bit thin on the ground these days too.

And we see more gold and greenfinches than sparrows

Chris. I have to travel 60 miles to see sand martins. Don't know of any colonies nr Manchester. Always lots of house martins , swallows and swifts here. I must be lucky with house sparrows, still plenty about up here. As you say gold and greenfinches are now very common. I think they have both entered the top ten most common bird list., goldfinches definitely have.

Just on my way to see the highest waterfall in Wales at a place called pistell rhaeyadr. Hope to have plenty of pictures to post later

Steve

Social source share

Still Swifts today

Steve

Saw three late last night, and not long ago spied a house martin out the front windows. The house martin is quite unusual as hardly any were to be seen from home earlier in the summer. This appears to be swift territory with the swallows and martins - I'm guessing - probably located themselves near the lake that's just behind us.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve are you struggling to keep it upright these days  :shhh:

:ohmy: Martyn. How very dare you question my upright ability.  :lol: When I take picture in portrait mode my recently updated Canon software auto turns them to standard mode but for some reason when I upload them they revert back to portrait style. Confused by it all. Will have to have a look.

Steve

Social source share

When I take picture in portrait mode my recently updated Canon software auto turns them to standard mode but for some reason when I upload them they revert back to portrait style.

Steve

Probably because this site does not have the Canon software to enable the auto rotate, you need to rotate them manually and save them as a jpeg in portrait orientation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sad day. Not seen or heard any Swifts in the Manchester skies since Wednesday :(

Was fishing at Milton green south of Chester yesterday, loads of Swallows and House martins. Seen a kingfisher, loads of Buzzards. One Hobby. Chiff chaffs singing and flitting about plus all the usual suspects. Oh I caught loads of carp too :D

Steve

Social source share

Was fishing at Milton green south of Chester yesterday, loads of Swallows and House martins. Seen a kingfisher, loads of Buzzards. One Hobby. Chiff chaffs singing and flitting about plus all the usual suspects. Oh I caught loads of carp too :D

Steve

And caught fish into the bargain! I haven't been fishing since I was a kid and rarely caught anything more than a few tiddlers, usually roach. Like a lot of people, I really enjoyed just being there, sat quietly and enjoying nature - and especially so early evenings when the light softens and turns increasingly golden. Happy days  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share