Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

We get light pollution here, up until midnight-ish, then it's blissfully quiet and dark, Sunday mornings are amazingly quiet. Saw two crescents in the sky a couple of weeks ago, one I knew (I hope) was the moon, the other heaven knows, I was walking the dogs so didn't have my camera, had to relaunch a swift the same morning, first time I've really had a close look at one.

Priceless

That sounds interesting Dave. Was one possibly a reflection of the other, reflecting of the sea. I to had the pleasure of seeing Swifts. close up a few years ago. They where nesting in the eaves of a old building and they had to land to gain access, so could really get close to them. Never held one though.

Steve

Social source share

That sounds interesting Dave. Was one possibly a reflection of the other, reflecting of the sea. I to had the pleasure of seeing Swifts. close up a few years ago. They where nesting in the eaves of a old building and they had to land to gain access, so could really get close to them. Never held one though.

Steve

I don't think so Steve, though it could be a possibility, I beat up my science teacher at school so didn't do so well in science. It was much smaller and higher in the sky, I think maybe a planet that was fairly close, that or reading too many Asimov novels and hallucinations as I'm apt to having.

Dave

Social source share

We get light pollution here, up until midnight-ish, then it's blissfully quiet and dark, Sunday mornings are amazingly quiet. Saw two crescents in the sky a couple of weeks ago, one I knew (I hope) was the moon, the other heaven knows, I was walking the dogs so didn't have my camera, had to relaunch a swift the same morning, first time I've really had a close look at one.

Priceless

If it was smaller than the Moon it could have been Venus 

Social source share

I was told it was a broad bodied chaser, but couldn't remember when I posted, I do like dragonflies it's just that I don't know one from the other

There are only around 40 species that breed in the UK, and a few of those are only found in a few isolated areas, so it is not too difficult to remember them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Have been out a couple of times with my new camera. Much to learn about it yet - where functions are, what new things it can do that my previous camera couldn't, and generally getting a sense of how it performs. Give it a month or two and I'm hoping that I'll be as familiar and confident with it as I was the old one.

This first batch was taken in the Amsterdam woods early evening when there was a beautiful golden light all around.

attachicon.gif_DSC0016-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0089-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0013-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0014-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0048-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0055-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0092-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0019-NEW-web.jpg

These were taken earlier today at a Napoleonic water fort, of which there are a good number in the Netherlands.

attachicon.gif_DSC0146-NEW-web.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC0147-NEW-web.jpg

Russell. looking good mate, what are the pictures going to be like once your sorted with all the settings, look forward to seeing the results

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. looking good mate, what are the pictures going to be like once your sorted with all the settings, look forward to seeing the results

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I bought a field guide for the camera and am working my way through that slowly but surely. It's much better than wading through Nikon's own manuals.

I've already encountered some things that I don't like, all of which I hope I can get a better understanding of so that I can either make better use of what they do, or avoid them.

The first one - and initially I thought there was a fault with the camera - is something called "ISO sensitivity setting". To all intents and purposes it appears to be an override for manual ISO settings. 

I was trying to get some underexposed landscape sunset shots and even though I had ISO on a manual setting, through the viewfinder it said auto - and it was impossible to under expose the shot as the ISO kept changing to an optimum level based on my aperture and shutter speed.

Eventually I found the function for that in the menu and turned it off. Still need to read up on it and see what it actually does. It must serve some useful purpose.

Another thing is that the camera sensor seems to be automatically over exposing shots by something like half a stop. And the colour seems to have a light but noticeable blue cast - as if white balance is set for fluorescent light.

White balance and everything else can be modified using Camera RAW software settings when the pics have been uploaded to the computer, of course, but I'm keen to know if there is an in-camera setting that's causing the blue tinge - I hope so.

All an adventure, I guess, but I'd much prefer to be at the destination rather than on the 'voyage of discovery' - if you know what I mean. 

Social source share

Russell a useful source of info on Nikon cameras is Ken Rockwell LINK

He can be a bit fickle, and is not universally liked, however his guides to setting up the various Nikon cameras are written in plain English and tend to be easier to follow than the Nikon manuals. Just ignore his love of the 'Vivid' picture settings, especially for wildlife stuff.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell a useful source of info on Nikon cameras is Ken Rockwell LINK

He can be a bit fickle, and is not universally liked, however his guides to setting up the various Nikon cameras are written in plain English and tend to be easier to follow than the Nikon manuals. Just ignore his love of the 'Vivid' picture settings, especially for wildlife stuff.

Yes, I've been in and out of Ken Rockwell's site since I first got a Nikon - a D40 - some years back.

Sadly he's become too commercially oriented with his advice and likes - recommends - absolutely everything. And links to retailers are obviously placed in every review at every opportunity. 

Worse - he still claims poverty and the need for donations to support the "free" service he's offering!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Yes, I've been in and out of Ken Rockwell's site since I first got a Nikon - a D40 - some years back.

Sadly he's become too commercially oriented with his advice and likes - recommends - absolutely everything. And links to retailers are obviously placed in every review at every opportunity. 

Worse - he still claims poverty and the need for donations to support the "free" service he's offering!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

His instructions on how to set up Nikon off camera flash are the only ones I have ever read that A - make sense, and B - actually work

Irrelevant footnote ... his daughter was born on my 50th birthday  :yes:

Social source share

His instructions on how to set up Nikon off camera flash are the only ones I have ever read that A - make sense, and B - actually work

Irrelevant footnote ... his daughter was born on my 50th birthday  :yes:

Oh, his practical photography advice is still great. No doubts about it. It's his opinions as an 'independent reviewer' of camera equipment that I'm cynical about. Bearing in mind his dominance in the search engines for anything Nikon-related, he's not going to make much revenue telling people that the standard Nikon kit lens - or whatever - is actually crap.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are only around 40 species that breed in the UK, and a few of those are only found in a few isolated areas, so it is not too difficult to remember them.

I suppose so when you consider the amount of plant names I can pull out of the air, Manypeoplia upsidedownia, is one of my favourites

Social source share

On my way to the lake district today I called into Leighton Moss reserve and WOW seen my first ever great white egret, there's been three at the reserve for the last couple of days. Think grey heron size maybe slightly larger but brilliant white with a yellow beak. They are a very rare visitor to the UK and even more so to the northwest. 

Managed a few pictures from a long way off, will have look tomorrow and see if any are ok to post on here

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

On my way to the lake district today I called into Leighton Moss reserve and WOW seen my first ever great white egret, there's been three at the reserve for the last couple of days. Think grey heron size maybe slightly larger but brilliant white with a yellow beak. They are a very rare visitor to the UK and even more so to the northwest. 

Managed a few pictures from a long way off, will have look tomorrow and see if any are ok to post on here

Steve

It's still not a stork though Steve!
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Steve

There are three that we often see on the banks of the Severn Estuary Steve. Fishing in the shallow water. Love watching them.

Social source share

Priceless

Swifts are amazing birds relaunched one myself.

Legs not long enough to get off ground.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Swifts are amazing birds relaunched one myself.

Legs not long enough to get off ground.

Had to propel itself with it's wings along the ground, no resistance to being handled and buzzed me soon after relaunching, so probably said thanks, at least I can dream that I'm Dr. Doolittle

Social source share

Great shot.Did you notice that they have yellow feet?

Thanks for the compliment. Didn't get chance to see its legs or feet,

According to one of my field guides they sometimes  have yellow legs and dark feet or just dark legs and feet. Wish I had found out now. 

Thanks again

Steve

Social source share

Thanks for the compliment. Didn't get chance to see its legs or feet,

According to one of my field guides they sometimes  have yellow legs and dark feet or just dark legs and feet. Wish I had found out now. 

Thanks again

Steve

The little egret has bright yellow feet and dark legs,no idea why?

Social source share

Well it's sadly that time of year again when we are saying goodbye to the Swifts. They will have left within a week. As they begin their long and perilous journey back to south Africa. Only seems like a few weeks ago when they arrived back in the skies over Manchester. I for one really miss the screeching overhead. A sure sign that summer is on its way out . 

Steve

Social source share

Well it's sadly that time of year again when we are saying goodbye to the Swifts. They will have left within a week. As they begin their long and perilous journey back to south Africa. Only seems like a few weeks ago when they arrived back in the skies over Manchester. I for one really miss the screeching overhead. A sure sign that summer is on its way out . 

Steve

Wooah there. Hold your horses... The swifts may be making an early departure, but that doesn't mean summer's over just yet. It's only the 2nd of August. We had a BBQ in the Amsterdam woods last night, and when we got home sat on the balcony til around midnight. Just come in from the balcony a couple of minutes ago (10:30pm local time). Summer is very much still here!

That said, I did notice the absence of swifts mid-week. There were a few still around, mainly making their presence known at dusk, but tonight the skies were silent.

For those who may be missing them already, here's a couple of pics I took while on holiday. The one of the swift over the water isn't anywhere near as sharp as it could have been, but I do like the effect of the sea in the background.

post-9478-0-02017800-1407011671_thumb.jp

post-9478-0-44117300-1407011677_thumb.jp

Long live summer! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share