Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

attachicon.gifIMG_0303.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0308.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0305.JPG

A few more sunsets from me

Was so happy with these pictures until I saw the horizon in the first picture sloping from left to right. in fact I was that happy I was going to enter it into a few competitions

Steve

Great pics Steve.  I fully intended taking some snaps at the opposite end of the day as I was up at sunrise carp fishing on Wednesday - only to find my mobile battery was flat grrrrr!!  Also had a heron standing less than 20 foot away from me - double grrrr!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave. I will bet that the thrush is a fledgling and the starling will have just brooded its young, so for a short while there is a parental bond to feed chicks, any chicks that open there beaks will get a response from the adult.

Steve

Strange compulsion, I usually just slap kids that open their mouths

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sorry I haven't been on for a while, here are a few pics I've taken where I live in Teesdale over the last few weeks

Saw a white and a pink flowered self heal in the Hoz to Beteta just over a week ago, though photos were rubbish, so don't have proof.  Nice Common Spotted Orchid too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes sorry it is on its side it wouldn't upload the right way up, there's lots of common spotted orchids and northern marsh orchids in Teesdale at the moment. I love wildflowers, I always keep my eyes peeled for the more unusual ones

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The bird on the post is a male Skylark, the skylark population in the UK has crashed. They are a red list RSPB species, felt yo be as a result of a change in farming practices. Thankfully here in Teesdale they are doing well, this particular male must have had a nest nearby with the female as he was dive bombing me n the dog, he sat on the post giving us a further singing warning

Suz x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The bird on the post is a male Skylark, the skylark population in the UK has crashed. They are a red list RSPB species, felt yo be as a result of a change in farming practices. Thankfully here in Teesdale they are doing well, this particular male must have had a nest nearby with the female as he was dive bombing me n the dog, he sat on the post giving us a further singing warning

Suz x

Suz. When I was a kid growing up in Widnes, one of the most polluted towns in the country, I could walk in fifteen minutes to open fields and listen to skylarks singing, sometimes so high that you couldn't see them . a sure sign that spring had arrived. Since then it has always brought a smile to my face whenever I hear one.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

♫ Just a perfect day... ♫   

No photos I`m afraid, but visited a lake today and caught some carp and the sun :)   I was amazed at the number of really bright turquoise dragonflies about, saw the usual heron, watched big carp sun bathing and rolling on the top of the water, marvelled at loads of swifts dipping down into the water etc.  A great day out!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

♫ Just a perfect day... ♫   

No photos I`m afraid, but visited a lake today and caught some carp and the sun :)   I was amazed at the number of really bright turquoise dragonflies about, saw the usual heron, watched big carp sun bathing and rolling on the top of the water, marvelled at loads of swifts dipping down into the water etc.  A great day out!

That will take some beating as a a way to spend a day. Am jealous,  because I didn't go fishing today or get out with my camera

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well finally after a two year wait for me to upgrade my camera it looks like Canon are set to announce the long awaited eos 7d mk 11. It's very much looking like a Sept release. Can't wait to see if the rumours are true regarding the 10 /12 frames per second shooting, the 24 mega pixel,s. The built in battery grip like the 1dx, mag alloy fully weather sealed body. And all for hopefully under two grand. Can't wait.

Steve

Social source share

Well finally after a two year wait for me to upgrade my camera it looks like Canon are set to announce the long awaited eos 7d mk 11. It's very much looking like a Sept release. Can't wait to see if the rumours are true regarding the 10 /12 frames per second shooting, the 24 mega pixel,s. The built in battery grip like the 1dx, mag alloy fully weather sealed body. And all for hopefully under two grand. Can't wait.

Steve

Under two grand? Good Lord!

I just upgraded my aged 10 mega pixel Nikon D80 last week to a 24.2 mega pixel Nikon D3200 for the euro equivalent of £265. And there's a 50 euro cash back voucher with it, so approx £220 in total! 

Each to their own, of course  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Under two grand? Good Lord!

I just upgraded my aged 10 mega pixel Nikon D80 last week to a 24.2 mega pixel Nikon D3200 for the euro equivalent of £265. And there's a 50 euro cash back voucher with it, so approx £220 in total! 

Each to their own, of course  :yes:

Russell. It is a awful lot of money I know. My Canon eos 50d cost me £500 second hand and has been obsolete for a few years now. This new camera will be my forever camera. When you spend a lot of time outdoors either fishing or birdwatching like I do .I need waterproof kit and unfortunately that comes with a hefty price tag especially camera's and more so Lenses. At this moment in time I can more than afford it, I've stopped buying records, It's the price of a Al Williams. I who am nothing. My favourite all time record. I don't smoke , very rarely drink. And with a bit of luck will be a lot less than the £2000, that price could even have been euro's not sterling.

Steve

Social source share

It is a lot of money, Steve, and how you spend it is entirely down to you. That goes without saying. I'm sure it will give you great pleasure for a good number of years. It's very much like buying records in many respects. They're all indulgences - and we're very much the lucky ones in that we can afford indulgences; we have the quality of life in the main to do so.

That said, stuff the camera - I wish I could afford to spend that amount on a decent lens or two  :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It is a lot of money, Steve, and how you spend it is entirely down to you. That goes without saying. I'm sure it will give you great pleasure for a good number of years. It's very much like buying records in many respects. They're all indulgences - and we're very much the lucky ones in that we can afford indulgences; we have the quality of life in the main to do so.

Tzhat said, stuff the camera - I wish I could afford to spend that amount on a decent lens or two  :wink:

Russell. The lens I want is over £10,000. I wish. The main one I use cost me more than a Al Williams would have done and its only 200ml. But yes I'm very lucky to be able to indulge myself. The difference kids growing up makes. Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We had three great weeks on the lovely Greek island of Lesvos not long ago. I'm just sorting through the holiday snaps now and this one immediately stood out for me.

It was taken from the balcony of our apartment. I stood there for ages, camera poised, hoping that one of the many swallows, swifts and martins might cut across the scene of the sun rapidly setting into the Aegean sea. The waiting was worth it!

attachicon.gifDSC_9799-New-web.jpg

Russell. That's as good a photograph as I have ever seen.  :hatsoff2:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-2516-0-04797200-1405453035_thumb.jp

Heres a picture (bit fuzzy ) of my favourite flower of all time

Many years ago when I used to deliver milk part time before school there was a garden on the round that had this flower and because it was a un godly hour it was still full of scent. it has the most amazing scent ever and only of a night time.

Get some seeds for next year and sow them near a seating area and if you have never had the pleasure you are in for a treat  

Night scented stock

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave. how did you know what I had for my dinner. Makes a change from soup

No choice at the moment had surgery Monday on my gum and jaw bone to remove abscess root got seven stiches and a sore mouth for my sins

Steve

and I thought I had a hard time after having my third wisdom tooth out a couple of months ago. That beats me hands down. Get well soon, eating and drinking add fun to living.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Suz. I've got a street light no more than 30 ft from my bedroom window and living on a corner there's another one just across from it.  :( Plus it's a rat run for the local traffic trying to avoid Rochdale Rd ( a main road into Manchester ) so there's ALWAYS car's going past even at this time of the night

Steve

Social source share

Suz. I've got a street light no more than 30 ft from my bedroom window and living on a corner there's another one just across from it.  :( Plus it's a rat run for the local traffic trying to avoid Rochdale Rd ( a main road into Manchester ) so there's ALWAYS car's going past even at this time of the night

Steve

We get light pollution here, up until midnight-ish, then it's blissfully quiet and dark, Sunday mornings are amazingly quiet. Saw two crescents in the sky a couple of weeks ago, one I knew (I hope) was the moon, the other heaven knows, I was walking the dogs so didn't have my camera, had to relaunch a swift the same morning, first time I've really had a close look at one.

Priceless

Social source share