Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Cheaper than going out to get abused ... you at Prestwich Saturday ?

Ha Ha. Not sure yet mate. You and Carol going ?

Just had a phone call to tell me of a lesser spotted woodpecker and nuthatch nests with chicks about five mins away, I,m on my way to get some pictures. Fingers crossed will have some pictures to post later

Steve

Social source share

Remember that Tawny Owl chick from the other week, here is another shot of it from Sunday, poor thing got a bit wet in the rain

attachicon.gif405_005.jpg

Isn't it a night bird ? Here in France we can't see them during the day. Or is England so dark there's no sun (just kidding)?

PS : Martyn, your pictures are beautiful. :thumbup:

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

Isn't it a night bird ? Here in France we can't see them during the day. Or is England so dark there's no sun (just kidding)?

PS : Martyn, your pictures are beautiful. :thumbup:

It is common to see the adults and youngsters roosting during the day.

Glad you like the pics

Social source share

Ha Ha. Not sure yet mate. You and Carol going ?

Just had a phone call to tell me of a lesser spotted woodpecker and nuthatch nests with chicks about five mins away, I,m on my way to get some pictures. Fingers crossed will have some pictures to post later

Steve

They were greater spotted not lesser spotted woodpeckers

Steve

Social source share

Some more wildflower photos I took over the weekend down my favourite woods

Forget Me Nots; Ragged Robin; Cowslips; Bugle Flower; Dog Violet; carpet of Bluebells; Wild Garlic and White Nettles with a Bumblebee on them

Suz x

I didn't realise I missed the British native plants so much, hope to see a few this weekend.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some more wildflower photos I took over the weekend down my favourite woods

Forget Me Nots; Ragged Robin; Cowslips; Bugle Flower; Dog Violet; carpet of Bluebells; Wild Garlic and White Nettles with a Bumblebee on them

Suz x

Lovely pictures.

Sorry to be pedantic, though, but your Ragged Robin is actually Red Campion.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Been listening to a cuckoo all weekend but didn't manage to catch a glimpse of it. If it is still cuckooing next weekend I will be out looking for it.

I heard a Cuckoo the other day in Market Drayton. It's years since I've heard one. A rarity now!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I heard a Cuckoo the other day in Market Drayton. It's years since I've heard one. A rarity now!

Pete. I've being running round the leafy lanes of Cheshire for the last couple of weeks and I've not heard or seen a single one.  they're classed as secure according to the RSPB .2011 revised edition of there birds of Britain book. but think scarce to rare in certain parts of the country.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

attachicon.gifFemale Pied Flycatcher.JPG sideways again, but it's a Female Pied Flycatcher

attachicon.gifPeacock Benalmadena.JPG Peacock in Benalmadena

attachicon.gifPseudobombax ellipticum.JPG Pseudobombax ellipticum flower, better known as the shaving brush tree.

Sorry about them being on their sides, but I take photos with the camera on the side, despite revolving them they come on here in their original form, sickening!!

Love pied flycaters. They used to nest in a box about 4 ft from my Mum and dad's caravan which they had at a place called mellington hall nr bishops castle in Shropshire.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Love pied flycaters. They used to nest in a box about 4 ft from my Mum and dad's caravan which they had at a place called mellington hall nr bishops castle in Shropshire.

Steve

I had a couple nest behind the branch of an espalier pear, but they fell victim to a squirrel, sadly.  This one was in a Jacaranda, and looked beautiful, but decided to move when I tried to take a pic. 

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had a couple nest behind the branch of an espalier pear, but they fell victim to a squirrel, sadly.  This one was in a Jacaranda, and looked beautiful, but decided to move when I tried to take a pic. 

Dave

Dave. It's sounds like you have the luck of me. 

Sad news today. For what ever reason the blue tits chicks in one of my nest boxes have been abandoned by the adults. Unless both parents have been predated. They where piping all day yesterday whenever anyone or anything went near the box. Didn't see the adults yesterday after about nine am. This morning the four chicks were dead. They hadn't even developed feathers.

Steve

Social source share

Dave. It's sounds like you have the luck of me. 

Sad news today. For what ever reason the blue tits chicks in one of my nest boxes have been abandoned by the adults. Unless both parents have been predated. They where piping all day yesterday whenever anyone or anything went near the box. Didn't see the adults yesterday after about nine am. This morning the four chicks were dead. They hadn't even developed feathers.

Steve

That's sad, I rescued a little sparrow chick from the cat this morning, it was unhurt and I put him in a visible position for his parents to see him and they were feeding him within a couple of minutes.  The cat brings in geckos, snakes, birds, all sorts, and comes out walking the dogs with me. 

Dave

Social source share

Chalky. Where was you listening to it ?

Steve

Goole mate, from the back garden.  I've a rough idea where it is.  If it is heard again at the weekend will get out with camera.......I would have Sunday but i was too fragile with a hangover :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Had a nice day at Burton mere, few mishaps. Seen a little owl but couldn't get a decent shot without my tripod which was in the car. Went back got tripod yes you guessed it. Owl gone. Then seen a common tern , it dived into lake, surfaces with fish and flies towards me. Guess what. Camera was on tripod and couldn't swivel it quick enough to get picture. Took camera off the tripod and never seen another tern. That's nature for you.

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Where I take my dog for a walk, along the cliffs near a place called blackhall in county durham. Over the past few times ive been, I could hear a strange grating like noise in the long grass and gorse. Ive allways been intrested in wildlife and know most of the british bird song, but never heard anything like this, so I looked into it further. After googling the area I found it was a strong hold for this bird. Ive never seen one before. Grasshopper Warbler

Their whole body trembles when they sing, great bird to find 

Social source share

These two were taken last year when we were on holiday in Greece. There's a small freshwater stream that flows into the sea at a certain point and it's home to a good many of these small turtles. 

post-9478-0-04895500-1401132460_thumb.jp

The sea urchin is one I collected when out snorkelling one day. Will be back there very soon.  :thumbup:

post-9478-0-71656400-1401132458_thumb.jp

• Helpful 3
Social source share