Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

One more from me. This was taken a couple of years ago when we had starlings nesting under the eaves of shed that was very close to us.

I noticed that the birds were like clockwork in feeding their young, so set up the camera on a tripod and fired off shots using a remote. The birds were coming in to land so fast that it took a good number of attempts over quite a long while to get just a couple of decent shots.

Even better, it was turning to evening and the birds were being silhouetted by the sinking sun. I got this one and another that I'll post in a bit. In the end it was well worth all the failed shots. Well, I think so, anyway!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Russell. Stunning shot with the sun backlighting the wings like that

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went down my favourite woods today for a walk, the yellows and white wildflowers are being replaced by the blues, purples and pinks :). A pretty shy violet and the first bluebells coming through

Still carpets of white stitchwort about though, oh and a lovely patch of cowslips and blue forget me nots by the beck

Suz x

post-12536-0-32230600-1399310478_thumb.j

post-12536-0-26444600-1399310490_thumb.j

post-12536-0-92195700-1399310523_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Went down my favourite woods today for a walk, the yellows and white wildflowers are being replaced by the blues, purples and pinks :). A pretty shy violet and the first bluebells coming through

Still carpets of white stitchwort about though, oh and a lovely patch of cowslips and blue forget me nots by the beck

Suz x

Suz. It's amazing how just a few miles and a few feet above sea level makes a massive difference to when flowers bloom. Had bluebells for about two weeks here in the North West. One of my favourites. 

Hope to be hearing and seeing Swifts any day soon here in Manchester.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Happy to report that they arrived here in our little corner of the Netherlands about a week ago. 

Russell. I'm pleased to report that I've seen hundreds today. At a new for me RSPB reserve at Conwy nr Llandudno. They had just arrived judging by the amount of birds together. 

Spent a few hours at Bodnant garden's about 5 miles inland from  Conwy, have taken a few pictures . Hope to post some tomorrow.

Steve

Social source share

Russell. I'm pleased to report that I've seen hundreds today. At a new for me RSPB reserve at Conwy nr Llandudno. They had just arrived judging by the amount of birds together. 

Spent a few hours at Bodnant garden's about 5 miles inland from  Conwy, have taken a few pictures . Hope to post some tomorrow.

Steve

Still no stopping you on your adventures then, Steve?  :D

Had hoped the swifts might have brought just a little of that Saharan weather with them. No chance judging by our forecast for the week!

Social source share

How does it go?

One for sorrow, 

two for joy, 

three for a girl, 

four for a boy, 

five for silver, 

six for gold, 

seven for a secret, 

never to be told, 

eight for a wish, 

nine for a kiss, 

ten for a time 

of joyous bliss.

Russell. Thought Ten was for a bird you must not miss

Steve

Social source share

Russell. Thought Ten was for a bird you must not miss

Steve

Lots of variations on this, Steve. Had a little look around online before finding the one I posted (as I couldn't remember what came after four :D ). From what I've read it seems every part of the country has their own version.

Social source share

Lots of variations on this, Steve. Had a little look around online before finding the one I posted (as I couldn't remember what came after four :D ). From what I've read it seems every part of the country has their own version.

Mine was from the TV show. That,s the only one I know

Steve

Social source share

Thanks Steve, all taken with a small Sony Cybershot bought 12 years ago

Dave

Dave. It's amazing the quality of the picture that come out of a cheapish camera. My partner Louise uses her kindle fire hdx and some of the pictures are fabulous. Some of them put my pictures to shame.

Steve

Social source share

Dave. It's amazing the quality of the picture that come out of a cheapish camera. My partner Louise uses her kindle fire hdx and some of the pictures are fabulous. Some of them put my pictures to shame.

Steve

I have a little Leica too, but can't get used to it, the Sony Cybershot wins every time for me, especially macro

Dave

Social source share

I have a little Leica too, but can't get used to it, the Sony Cybershot wins every time for me, especially macro

Dave

I've joined the big boys camp with two Canon L series lenses. 70-200 f 2.8L is usm mk 2 and a 17-40 f4.0L is usm. Attached to a Canon eos 50 d body.. Would like a 500 or 600 ml lens but way out of my price range

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

I've joined the big boys camp with two Canon L series lenses. 70-200 f 2.8L is usm mk 2 and a 17-40 f4.0L is usm. Attached to a Canon eos 50 d body.. Would like a 500 or 600 ml lens but way out of my price range

Steve

To get to the plants I photograph you need to have a camera that will fit in your pocket as it's often a steep climb through prickly shrubs, I do it in shorts and sandals as I'm enjoying the sun, but come back bleeding most days.  I have expensive vinyl tastes, so can't spend money on cameras.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not been out and about much so far this year, so the photo opportunities have been few and far between. Having said that, there's quite a lot to be seen from the comfort of our 2nd floor apartment, even in the heart of a small town, if you keep your eyes open and place a camera where it's easy to get to in a hurry.

Here's a few recent captures...

A rather rain-soaked great crested grebe seen this afternoon on the waterway in front of us.

post-9478-0-25755500-1399821140_thumb.jp

Buzzard - seen when the sun was shining sufficiently for us to be sat on the back balcony.

post-9478-0-53831400-1399821141_thumb.jp

Heron - ditto. Herons are everywhere here and the Dutch seem to hate them with a passion. 

post-9478-0-69551800-1399821136_thumb.jp

Collared dove sitting on top of a lamp post right outside one of our windows. This one's a regular visitor.

post-9478-0-18691000-1399821144_thumb.jp

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Had some fun today chasing Swallows, Swifts and Martins in flight, not the best idea on a dull day but hey ho

Here is a Swallow flying low to avoid radar 

attachicon.gif405_070.jpg

Would love to have your camera and skills this lunchtime, I was watching an Emperor dragonfly whizzing about, beautiful, but the speed was mind blowing

Social source share

Would love to have your camera and skills this lunchtime, I was watching an Emperor dragonfly whizzing about, beautiful, but the speed was mind blowing

I like dragonflies, they haven't changed much from their prehistoric ancestors, except they had 1.00m wingspans ... imagine watching one of those whizzing about 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like dragonflies, they haven't changed much from their prehistoric ancestors, except they had 1.00m wingspans ... imagine watching one of those whizzing about 

The Emperor was pretty big, there were two Ruddy Darters there too, saw the Emperor pick up a drop of water, very impressive

Edited by TattooDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

http://www.bsbi.org.uk/Visiting_Upper_Teesdale.pdf. One of these days I'm going to go and see these, they're only 20 minutes in the car and a walk from where I live

Suz x

I'd be there in a flash if they were that close, I had to go 100 miles to see the giant orchid at the top of El Torcal, and I'm scared of heights

post-33051-0-44272900-1399924764_thumb.j Giant Orchid

post-33051-0-89932400-1399924837_thumb.j Man Orchid

post-33051-0-16809700-1399924577_thumb.j  Yellow Bee Orchid

Again none scarce, just take some finding.

Edited by TattooDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve

Hello Steve,

been to Tarifa today, Storks, Turkey Vultures, Eagles and others, but much too windy.  Took a few photos of plants but not much.  I might share some once I've had a look to see if they're worth it.

Dave

Social source share

Hello Steve,

been to Tarifa today, Storks, Turkey Vultures, Eagles and others, but much too windy.  Took a few photos of plants but not much.  I might share some once I've had a look to see if they're worth it.

Dave

Hi Dave. look forward to a few pictures as always.

Don't see many green woodpeckers in my usual haunts so was well pleased today

Steve

Social source share

We get them in the back garden Steve ... they love the ants  :yes:

Nice one Martyn.  :thumbup: . My garden's not long enough for a green woodpecker runway. Had a greater spotted woodpecker in my garden last year, not seen or heard him this year.

The reason I ended up with  picture is that I had gone looking and listening for cuckoo's, sadly to no avail again. when the woodpecker flew in front and across the car. Landed about 30 metres away just managed the one quick shot before he was off.

Steve

Social source share

Dave. Hope one day in the not to distant future Storks will be nesting in England

Steve

I'm sure it could happen Steve, though I wouldn't keep your fingers crossed.  Plenty for them to eat here, lizards, snakes and frogs as well as smaller birds.  I've come to the conclusion that London's sparrows have left for an easier life by the coast or to other parts of Europe, they are abundant here, and locally their only predators are cats.  Saw Sardinian warbler yesterday, pretty little thing, but shy.

Dave

Social source share