Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Cool pics all round, Steve. You're lucky to be able to get out and about so often.

Thanks Russell

I,m on a sabbatical from work at the moment and taking full advantage of the fact. The only problem I have is the distance traveling to take the pictures. Nearest RSPB reserves are a minimum 1 hour drive away. Have only managed a few from from local parks, back garden etc

Steve

Social source share

Beautiful Steve - just needs a decent carp lake alongside to be perfect!! 

Pete  :yes:

Don't know about the carp lake  Pete rather a mixed fishery , bit more variety  :thumbup: . Actually where the picture was taken used to be one of the finest mixed course fisheries in the North West at Burton mere on the Wirral before Terry knight sold it to the RSPB

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good news about our swallows they are back, two couples are squabbling over the prime nest lol. Last year one pair raised four broods from that nest

Suz x

Good news indeed Suz. Think I posted some pictures of swallow chicks being fed by one of the parents earlier in the topic.

Am going to Tenby in four week's so with a bit of luck will get some more pictures of what is no doubt one of my favourite birds.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Gadwall fighting over a lady .... vicious buggers  :boxing:

attachicon.gif403_095.jpg

attachicon.gif403_100.jpg

Martyn. Was these taken from your usual lakes ? They're a pretty little duck with a evil streak. But that's nature. Only the fittest and strongest get to mate. 

There was a very unusual visitor at Leighton Moss in the week. A Black Tern. Didn't get chance to get up there to see it.

Steve

Social source share

Martyn. Was these taken from your usual lakes ? They're a pretty little duck with a evil streak. But that's nature. Only the fittest and strongest get to mate. 

There was a very unusual visitor at Leighton Moss in the week. A Black Tern. Didn't get chance to get up there to see it.

Steve

They were taken at the usual place Steve.

I think Terns are great to watch, diving head first into the water from about 20 feet.

Social source share

We get dunnocks here, they're like big sparrows :) they come n feed on the mealworms I sprinkle on the ground n compete with the blackbirds and our chickens for them

Suz x

Very well observed, Suz. Dunnocks also go by the name of Hedge Sparrows (and Hedge Accentors), so you're absolutely spot on!  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another shot of a Sedge Warbler displaying for a mate ... these little birds fly all the way from Africa to the UK to mate, the youngsters then fly all the way back to Africa in September, and generally return to the UK the following Spring to the place they were born. All without a map or a satnav ... amazing

attachicon.gif404_038.jpg

Really like that warbler shot, Martyn. Very nice indeed.

Social source share

I've never seen a tawny owl chick in daylight like that, ive nearly once been attacked by a long eared owl which had chicks nearby. She swooped down on me n me sister, beautiful

Suz x

Famous bird/wildlife photographer Eric Kosking lost an eye to a Tawny Owl that he was trying to get pictures of. That was very early on in his career, too. Didn't stop him though. Apparently he went back to the same place soon after to finish what he'd started! 

Social source share

One more from me. This was taken a couple of years ago when we had starlings nesting under the eaves of shed that was very close to us.

I noticed that the birds were like clockwork in feeding their young, so set up the camera on a tripod and fired off shots using a remote. The birds were coming in to land so fast that it took a good number of attempts over quite a long while to get just a couple of decent shots.

Even better, it was turning to evening and the birds were being silhouetted by the sinking sun. I got this one and another that I'll post in a bit. In the end it was well worth all the failed shots. Well, I think so, anyway!

It always looks good when you get the sun shining through their wings like that, gives them an angelic appearance

Social source share

Just had a nice break on the Isle of Wight, mainly on the south of the Island, somewhere we had never bee before. I spent today at a very special Sub Tropical Garden at a place called Ventnor. Basically its a south facing town and the gardens we visited were located in the micro climate, akin to the Med. There is never any frost or snow in this area, and due to the gardens location beneath Hills and dipped before the coast the gardeners are able to grow plants found in the Mediterranean, plants and tress that will not grow any where else in the UK.

Its well worth a visit, the wildlife is great as well, birds a plenty as you can imagine... couple of Black and white shots there also, moody cliffs just down the coast, and a very small pooch we met...

http://www.botanic.co.uk/

post-2025-0-06396500-1399154429_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-03994600-1399154438_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-72790500-1399154449_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-28290800-1399154458_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-32542800-1399154719_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Now for a fluffy cuddly one ... a Tawny Owl chick ... awwwww

Not as good at hiding as Mum and Dad are  :D

attachicon.gif404_046.jpg

attachicon.gif404_047.jpg

Martyn. As always nice pictures. Once at Mellington hall near church stoke Shropshire I rescued a Tawny owl chick and placed it in a tree after it had fallen from its nest, then watched later that evening as the parents fed it.

Steve

Social source share

Out enjoying the sunshine at Belvide ... only problem was the heat haze (can make a photo look like it was taken through a bathroom window)

Another shot of a Sedge Warbler displaying for a mate ... these little birds fly all the way from Africa to the UK to mate, the youngsters then fly all the way back to Africa in September, and generally return to the UK the following Spring to the place they were born. All without a map or a satnav ... amazing

attachicon.gif404_038.jpg

Martyn. Love the Sedge Warbler shot

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share