Charles Mintz On Uplook

NEV

Probably lost count on the amount of times i've searched for this one and infact gave up trying :(

But somebody got lucky the other week ..anyone on here by chance :g:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-RARE-Charles-Mintz-UpLook-42671-Running-Back-Lucky-Guy-Northern-Soul-45-/230954337878?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item35c5f38656#ht_307wt_1428

Lucky Guy is an all time fave .....

Social source share

You guys should know by now that it's down to personal taste.

Both great versions IMHO but can fully understand Daves point referring to the whole context of the song from a soulful perspective .

IMHO ,it's exactly from the same perspective as to why people prefer Little Willie Faulk over Ree Flores ...finished and polished production over a more raw version .

Social source share

Sorry Ted, DOS doesn't come close, all nicey, nice harmonies, no punch or passion. Charles sounds like the song relates directly to him and the psych guitar takes it to another level. One is a very nice harmony group tune and the other an adrenaline rush.

I don't quite agree with you there Dave, DOS does come close. I agree that Charles Mintz is the better, more exciting version with real punch in the delivery but you can't dismiss DOS as nicey, nice harmonies. And to be honest i would much rather have a mint DOS than a knackered Charles Mintz.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just thought I'd give Charles's "Sice I Found You Girl" a shout, a nice record that seems to be regarded as the poor relation of the others mentioned above.

Dave

I totally agree, "Since I Found You Girl" is great.

In fact, all of his 45s on UPLOOK are good.

"Give A Man A Break" is incredible. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm with Cliff on this too, I find the wah-wah guitar most irritating, plus TBH I'm sick of hearing either version, played to death IMHO  :yes:

What Tony and Cliff said, the guitar is so annoying, really spoils it for me. Still love DoS though, it's great and uplifting - just like it should be!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What Tony and Cliff said, the guitar is so annoying, really spoils it for me. Still love DoS though, it's great and uplifting - just like it should be!

With Dave on the guitar - choppy, heavy, mean, aggresive aggro soul. Great! The thing is the DoS has tons of its own merits too. You can't go wrong with either and each has its time and place imho.

Just a great song.

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

With Dave on the guitar - choppy, heavy, mean, aggresive aggro soul. Great! The thing is the DoS has tons of its own merits too. You can't go wrong with either and each has its time and place imho.

Just a great song.

Sorry Joel, have to disagree there is no way either is aggro soul!!

Social source share

Charles Mintz for me every time, remember the first time I heard Butch play this at the 100 Club (15 years ago ?)....the place exploded, it totally blew me away & still does to this day, the wah, wah that some find intrusive is one of the things about the record that distinguishes it, especially on the intro, that & the uhhhh's.....bloody love it.....

That doesnt mean to say I dont like DOS BTW, just prefer CM as it has more wooophhhh as a Nighter record.

I hear DOS played out occasionally still, but very rarely CM ?, maybe the places I go ???.

Ps/....Was CM ever covered up ?....cant recall it being covered, but dont remember the artist being mentioned on initial plays, so maybe a secret sound type thingy ?.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

BTW there is an unissued Charles Mintz recording, not sure if it was recorded around the same time period, cant remember full title, but 'Candy' is in the title some where, not at home so cant check....dont remember it being as good as the released Uplook stuff... maybe 'Candy Baby'...?

Best Russ

Social source share

Yes, just remembered, there is an orange 'Up Look' re-issue with DOS (ICRB) on one side and Charles Mintz 'Give A Man A Break' on the other side.

I also have the picture sleeve with ICRB but can't remember the flip.

The flip of the Charles Mintz is the instrumental I think.  I have the both the CM and DOS re-issues for sale if anyone interested.

Social source share

BTW there is an unissued Charles Mintz recording, not sure if it was recorded around the same time period, cant remember full title, but 'Candy' is in the title some where, not at home so cant check....dont remember it being as good as the released Uplook stuff... maybe 'Candy Baby'...?

Best Russ

Charles Mintz - Candy Baby is an unissued track Andy Dyson got about ten years or so. They are all now on the Uplook Records Story cd Grapevine put out a few years ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!