Tom Jones! Why Has This Been In Me Box For 30+ Ys

Got to have been mentioned before but ive absolutely forgotton this gem!!

Someone's got to have mentioned it on SS and Tom Jones threads but just in case!-

Seriously going through a box that hasnt truthfully seen the light of day for at least well over 20 years came across stuff like Hosanna Hip it,Willie Mitchell winner t.all etc( Flip to Flower child worth a spin!)

I pulled out a Tom Jones!! vaguely remembered im'e coming home? flipped it !!! The Lonely one !!!! Blow my waxed up ears!! what a Tune!!!

Wish i could mp3 it but take a tip if you havent got it or you dont know it get it NOW!

Tom delivers a slice of top flight NS ever sung by a white singer EVER!

Please someone agree! Decca F12693!

By the way doubt very much if this is rare im'e coming home must have sold a few!

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Agree Mr M - I picked this up on Parrot last year - really is agreat record, somewhat shadowed by his other northern floor filler - Stop Breaking My Heart

Grant

The original is by Cliff Richard, if anyone's interested!

TONE :unsure:

Social source share

Tom Jones was influenced by Chuck Jackson, Ben E King and other in the same catorgery.....

suss out tracks like "I wake up crying" and "I can't break the news to myself" usually on LPs, well worth picking up as always see these at car boots

Social source share

Tom Jones was influenced by Chuck Jackson, Ben E King and other in the same catorgery.....

suss out tracks like "I wake up crying" and "I can't break the news to myself" usually on LPs, well worth picking up as always see these at car boots

True got the LP at Oxfam. Kenny sold me the stop breaking my heart for a fiver.

Social source share

Yes ive got the stop b m haert and only found out a couple of weeks back he'd done cant break the news when i heard it round a mates but this surprised me last night when i pulled it out? err i mean the lonely one!!! erm oh bollc7s !! no i didnt pull them out!! ime off before ime discovered !!!

Social source share

The original is by Cliff Richard, if anyone's interested!

TONE :unsure:

What the lonely one ?didnt know that Tony mind you as i say totally forgotten about this? must have known of it sometime in the past thats why it was in me box?

Ive been looking for the famous photos of Tom with Solomon When he brought out his spare crown for Tom!

I saw the SB documentary where Solomon gives the greatest respect to Tom excellent documentary.

Here they are on Jools Hollands show Brilliant stuff!

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

talking about Tom Jones,i picked a record up off e-bay recently on parrot called LOOKING OUT MY window.took a gamble as you do, but for only a few quid bought it.what a 45,a really great track.never heard it before but from the opening few bars i knew it was a winner.as anyone else heard it and as it been played out anywhere........neil.

Social source share

Looking Out My Window has been 'known' for years in the funk scene (if such a thing exists!). it was on one of those 'breaks' compilations years ago, i think one of the Ultimate Breaks and Beats series in the early 90s. similarly 'The Lonely One' has been known amongst easy listening types (like me) since the late 90s.

there's other good tracks on LPs too - including a live 'Hard to Handle', '13 Smash Hits' (not a comp despite title) is half full of good attempts at soul numbers, and Dr John's 'Right Place, Wrong Time'...

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

Looking Out My Window has been 'known' for years in the funk scene (if such a thing exists!). it was on one of those 'breaks' compilations years ago, i think one of the Ultimate Breaks and Beats series in the early 90s. similarly 'The Lonely One' has been known amongst easy listening types (like me) since the late 90s.

there's other good tracks on LPs too - including a live 'Hard to Handle', '13 Smash Hits' (not a comp despite title) is half full of good attempts at soul numbers, and Dr John's 'Right Place, Wrong Time'...

cheers mate for the info,interested in listening to the dr john cover,done right should sound fantastic....neil.
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Looking Out My Window has been 'known' for years in the funk scene (if such a thing exists!).

and the mod scene ...can't break the news as well as being on the help yourself lp is on a french ep that i believe mr manship has for £50

Social source share

Guest scratuglia

Didn't he record a song called Little Lonely One? It wasn't on Decca but an EMI subsidiary I believe.

Social source share

talking about Tom Jones,i picked a record up off e-bay recently on parrot called LOOKING OUT MY window.took a gamble as you do, but for only a few quid bought it.what a 45,a really great track.never heard it before but from the opening few bars i knew it was a winner.as anyone else heard it and as it been played out anywhere........neil.

Yes the track was a spin at the funk/soul/acid jazz type nights in the 90s..It was a tune for the ladies it seems and camp men,thats just the ticket for you then my freind :D ..Enjoy

Social source share

On the same Lp as I can't break the News is a track called I Get Carried Away.

Is that the same as Jerry Naylor?I was asked.

No don't think so sez I.

Play it then.

It Is.

Tony

got a spare for sale to anyone who wants it, a fiver plus £1 p/p, bloody good version of break the news :D

Social source share

got a spare for sale to anyone who wants it, a fiver plus £1 p/p, bloody good version of break the news :D

True, a few good tracks on there. If you like 'Jones the song' that is.

Well worth a fiver. :D I already have a copy. Not the dodgy one pictured above. No, a mint copy from Oxfam for a quid! :D

Social source share

On the same Lp as I can't break the News is a track called I Get Carried Away.

Is that the same as Jerry Naylor?I was asked.

No don't think so sez I.

Play it then.

It Is.

Tony

i get carried away is brill :ohmy: same sort of intro as the splendors on karate :ohmy:
Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW, has been around on the hip hop seen since the early 1980's when the bronx dj's ie..grandmaster flash, bambaataa, started to double deck it for the drum break 2 bar grunt at the street jams.

one for the b-boys to break to

And i bet few people here said it was a fad and would never last.

must admit a lot of rap stuff the gets churned out like a factory is dire

but if you seek theres still some great rap stuff lending to those early roots.

its the samples in rap thats lead me onto the rare soul scene,

without which i would never have heard such soul greats.

Social source share

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW, has been around on the hip hop seen since the early 1980's when the bronx dj's ie..grandmaster flash, bambaataa, started to double deck it for the drum break 2 bar grunt at the street jams.

one for the b-boys to break to

Social source share

True got the LP at Oxfam. Kenny sold me the stop breaking my heart for a fiver.

Not a first issue tho` Simsy old boy,keep that fer` meself :ohmy:

Social source share

Not a first issue tho` Simsy old boy,keep that fer` meself :ohmy:

Is mine a first press issue Ken ? noting the upside down DR41619 ?

Allways thought upside downers were a good indicater?

Social source share

Dont know where its at!!,at the mo`,but the other side is differant,and totaly differant issue number,will look in a bit,maybe..............oh!!,as everybody heard his version of "any day now",ive heard worser :shhh: post that up if anybody is remotely intrested :ohmy: .

:ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Thats a higher number than Simsy`s,so wouldnt think so? :( ,i think the other side is "i who have now`t",gonna find it now ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Found it!!,it is "never give away love"/stop breaking my heart; Decca F.12349,dated 1966 ranting_1.gif and it says Leeds music on the first issue,not like the second,what says valley music,i think Simsy`s is a export only job?.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Yeah Ken but this one ime on is "Ime coming home/The Lonely one?

not never give away love/S.B.M.Heart?

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

I have a French or Spanish EP containing some cracking tracks by him...

including "To Make A Big man Cry" and his take of Obrey Wilsons "In A Womans Eyes"

B side to "can you love a poor boy",RCA forget who by,cant be fukced looking,but exactly the same rolleyes.gif CYLAPB is one of me all time faves too :(

Social source share

Can you imagine what sort of a giant (not that he isnt) Tom would have been if he'd got ALL these tunes first! Stunning !!

I mean he's allways been Top Class but how Top if these were all his originals!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert