80s Soul ? ........ Good Or Bad?

• Replies 63
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Most of (by the mid 80's) is kake becasue of those bloody drum machines. However, I'd say David Sea Night After Night is one of the best tunes ever made.

Also good are

Larry Wu - Let Me Show You

Color Blind - Crazy

Tommi Johnson - Somethings Never Change

Sheer Music - Fallen Back In Love Again

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

If you ever get to hear C.Coulter "I cant fight the feeling" you will weep.. synth soul 80's and pure quality . Unfortunatly very rare :thumbsup:

Tell you what Simon, been a big spin for Sam at S.E for a few years now. I think it is a bloody awful record whistling.gif

Social source share

Tell you what Simon, been a big spin for Sam at S.E for a few years now. I think it is a bloody awful record whistling.gif

Yes, but it's one of Simon's all time favs (he gets very excited just looking at a scan of the label!). Anyone got a sound file?

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Question of the day..... Was all 80's synthesised cack? Or were there some good records as well.....

......like this?

Great tune (I just saw what it was elsewhere in the thread).

Roger

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Most of (by the mid 80's) is kake becasue of those bloody drum machines. However, I'd say David Sea Night After Night is one of the best tunes ever made.

Also good are

Larry Wu - Let Me Show You

Color Blind - Crazy

Tommi Johnson - Somethings Never Change

Sheer Music - Fallen Back In Love Again

Nice selection. I really like machine drumming and synth backing as well as real sound before 80s.

More machine sounding 80s soul from me,

Sheiks - Don't Tell Her That

Joseph Gray - R.S.V.P.

Gene Scott - Can You Deal With It

James Cobbin & Prime Cut - It's Music

Dirrect Pressure - Let Me Love You

Tranzit - Necessary Love

Sylvia Bennett - You're My Fantasy

Lust - I Like Spending My Time With You

Power Of Attorney Band - Love For You

Hearts Of Fire - Let's Party All Night

Oops, can't stop listing... :( These are the tunes that have already been played in our show. :unsure:

Simon M, have you checked my newest mix? :(

Edited by them
Social source share

Nice selection. I really like machine drumming and synth backing as well as real sound before 80s.

is that the other side of caught in the middle?

produced by the Frank Wilson, I believe?

on Cash? very rare

Two or three copies?

Social source share

Loads of great soul in the 80s. It was the decade that brought us Anita Baker, for God's sake! Ok, so there better known stuff had it's awful moments but there's lots of excellent stuff there too, and you don't have to look that far. Maybe, I'm a bit biased because I was a young lad in the 80s and strikes a chord with me but people shouldn't label it as being a crap decade because of one particular type of sound.

Social source share

Tell you what Simon, been a big spin for Sam at S.E for a few years now. I think it is a bloody awful record :unsure:

WHAT Gavin ! .I know it turned up 5 years ago , For ,me its like Garfield Fleming on Rocket Juice ..What a singer ,knocks spots of that Tolbert 7inch too . sing it man "I CANT FIGHT IT"

I need a mp3 of it too please

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tad , I'll listen to the mix soon , at the Police station today , then more places to see Im afraid !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

on Cash? very rare

Two or three copies?

I played those two at some allniter 89 , I'd got there by train from london , my ticket cost me more than the promoter paid ,me :unsure:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

WHAT Gavin ! .I know it turned up 5 years ago , For ,me its like Garfield Fleming on Rocket Juice ..What a singer ,knocks spots of that Tolbert 7inch too . sing it man "I CANT FIGHT IT"

Tad , I'll listen to the mix soon , at the Police station today , then more places to see Im afraid

Simon,

I have it on cd at home, will dig it out tomorrow and send one,

Gary

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

The 80's are good, as dad says though why can't we have just 60's and 70's soul then i always say to him well we can't play Gayle Adams - Baby I Need Your Loving as i remember it being 1981 and he soon changes mind. Terri Walker - I'll Be Around is also a good tune of the 80's

Social source share

Terri Walker - I'll Be Around is also a good tune of the 80's

Take it you mean Terri Wells on Philly World (London in the UK) as Terri Walker is good Y2K stuff! yes, "I'll be around" was OK but not a patch on the Spinners; I always liked "Who's that stranger" off Wells' album meself!

Hippo.

Social source share

The 80's are good, as dad says though why can't we have just 60's and 70's soul then i always say to him well we can't play Gayle Adams - Baby I Need Your Loving as i remember it being 1981 and he soon changes mind. Terri Walker - I'll Be Around is also a good tune of the 80's

Too true , you can play right across the board , Ian Clark , Searling , Thorley , (intelligent ,progressive deejays, worth their weight in gold to the scene) did .

BTW just about 80's this one Theryl " Open up your heart " Pyramid 7 or 12 1989 pure class !!

Theryl_7.mp3

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

BTW just about 80's this one Theryl " Open up your heart " Pyramid 7 or 12 1989 pure class !!

Oooh yes...must run home and dig this out! Likewise Ivor's sales list reminded me of Donnell Jones "Symphony" - great! I spent the late '80's and most of the '90's playing this kind of stuff to an...ahem..."urban" crowd - great fun!

Here's another suggestion - Magnum Force "Want you so bad" :unsure:

Hippo.

Social source share

Oooh yes...must run home and dig this out! Likewise Ivor's sales list reminded me of Donnell Jones "Symphony" - great! I spent the late '80's and most of the '90's playing this kind of stuff to an...ahem..."urban" crowd - great fun!

Here's another suggestion - Magnum Force "Want you so bad" :unsure:

Hippo.

Just uploaded Theryl , very nice on 7 .. Overnchip has the 12

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Tad , I'll listen to the mix soon , at the Police station today , then more places to see Im afraid !!

Tolbert pile of shite as well !

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Loads of great soul in the 80s. It was the decade that brought us Anita Baker, for God's sake! Ok, so there better known stuff had it's awful moments but there's lots of excellent stuff there too, and you don't have to look that far. Maybe, I'm a bit biased because I was a young lad in the 80s and strikes a chord with me but people shouldn't label it as being a crap decade because of one particular type of sound.

Spot on :wicked: Worked in Blue Bird and Sound F.X in the 80s so much quailty stuff came through every week it was unreal !

Nobodys mentioned Beau Williams yet :shades: Stunning Stuff

Lilo Thomas !

Social source share

Aye Flanny has the orig 45 so he shared it with us all :wicked:

To think i knocked it back from Keb Darge in about 1997 for £400 (which was a lot in them days but now a mere pittance!) :P

Cheers

Steve

I bought a £200 plus record once .. :shades: I felt slightly ill afterwards

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

To think i knocked it back from Keb Darge in about 1997 for £400 (which was a lot in them days but now a mere pittance!) :wicked:

I recall Sam playing it in the back room, about ten years ago, at Bretby first time out and Boy was he excited about it. Usual, 'You've Just Gotta Hear This... Fantastic' prelude.

Me and Kev Briscoe just looked at each other ... vacantly... were we missing something?

Since then it's grown on me... just a tad.

Think you were better keeping hold of your 4 ton Steve, especially as there's a lot better stuff in your pound box.

Poser Man

Social source share

I recall Sam playing it in the back room, about ten years ago, at Bretby first time out and Boy was he excited about it. Usual, 'You've Just Gotta Hear This... Fantastic' prelude.

Me and Kev Briscoe just looked at each other ... vacantly... were we missing something?

Since then it's grown on me... just a tad.

Think you were better keeping hold of your 4 ton Steve, especially as there's a lot better stuff in your pound box.

Poser Man

What better 80's records .. ?? :wicked: PM me a list please

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Have to tell you that Kashif "Rumors" was probably THE record that turned me away from Northern Soul towards new release soul..............thanks Adam :wicked::shades::P

It's a great LP too......and cheap as chips............the guy has performed, written and produced some killer stuff IMO :):P

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

[...........................

Hi Mark ,

If I remember rightly , Kashif made the top ten of the top 100 N Soul recordsfor 1983 in Steve G's Blackbeat mag ?? A searling spin . too ( quite a few coverups in the 100 ) just wish I still had all the BB's again .. top deejay Adam B !!

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yeah top quality 80s gem, thank you for reminding me of it!

His another track on Pyramid is in my mix, do you remember the one?

Social source share

Some great stuff in the 80's

Johnnie Taylor, Anita Baker, Chapter 8 all on Beverley Glenn

High Energy - It was you Babe on Motown

James Cobbin - Caught up in the middle

Rene & Angela - Bangin on the Boogie

Sass - I didn't mean it at all

Melba Moore - When you love me like this

Manhattans - Ces't la vie

Savannah - Never let you go (may have been 70's)

Lilo Thomas - I like your style

What about 90's

Keith Washington debut album :wicked:

Social source share

is that the other side of caught in the middle?

produced by the Frank Wilson, I believe?

on Cash? very rare

Two or three copies?

On 45 only, 12 has an inst on the flip. My kinda boogie/stomper.

Yes sure, released as 12 on different label too. Original 45 was on Out Of Sight.

Cash is the label. I Still Love You Girl on the other side is also great ballad, quality double-sider.

Don't know how many. But we three members of Rhythmic Freedom all own it. So more than 10 copies might exist in Japan.

Edited by them
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

[...........................

Hi Mark ,

If I remember rightly , Kashif made the top ten of the top 100 N Soul records in Steve G's Blackbeat mag 1983 ?? A searling spin . too ( quite a few coverups in the 100 ) just wish I still had all the BB's again .. top deejay Adam B !!

Simon

Just spent a very satisfying hour and a bit playing Kashif and Alexander O'Neal's debut albums for the millionth time. So many fantastic early 80s records have Kashif involved somewhere along the line - all those great Melba Moore, Evelyn Champagne King, Lillo Thomas, Freddie Jackson, Willie Collins, Paul Laurence Jones tunes, even the first Kenny G LP!. They all make a liar out of anyone who says that everything played on just synthesisers and drum machines is crap.

I still play these records all the time - to me they are both timeless and priceless (and a lot better than plenty of the indie soul from the same era...)

Ditto the early work of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis - there are few records in the world, period, better than O' Neal's "What's Missing" or the SOS Band's "Weekend Girl" - soul masterpieces that sit confidently and proudly with the best black music of any era!

Same goes for Leon Sylvers' immaculate work at SOLAR records. Life without Shalamar's "Over And Over" and Dynasty's "Do Me Right" would be intolerable.

It's nice to be able to give some props to such immaculate soul music...

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

Just giving these a go...............some late 70's in there too, but what the hell:

Surface - Feels So Good

Manhattans - Crazy

Woods Empire - Universal Love

Lenny White - I Didn't Know About Love Til I Found You

Mind & Matter - I'm Under Your Spell

Kashif - Rumors

Glenda McCloud - No Stranger To Love

..................cool :unsure:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

IS C/COULTER 80S?.I HAVE A VERSION BY THE YATES BROS & SISTERS ON ARIOLA LP,ITS FROM 1979(song was writen by c/coulter,its a female version) :unsure: I ONLY LIKE SO MANY 80S HERE SUM I HAVE LPS/45S

JAN JONES

GARFIELD FLEMMING

JAY PLAYER

CHUCK JACKSON(watin in vain)

LARRY WEDGEWORTH

BOBBY STORY(lets do something different)

KENI RIGHTOUT(nice salsoul tune)

COUPLE I DONT HAVE

NITECHILL

EXPOTATIONS

MOST ARE FROM THE YEAR 1980 XOVER FROM THE 70S SOUND LIKE 60S TO 70S

Social source share

Lanier + co

Shirley Brown

David Sea

James Ingram

Gwendolyn Lassic

Marzette Griffith

First Circle

Stephanie Mills

Teddy p

Kleer

Sharon Redd

Oliver Cheetham

William Bell

Peabo Bryson

Curtis Hairston

Glen Jones

Genobia Jeter

Jones Girls

Fatback Band

Lonnie Hill

I could go on.........................................

The 80's a great era for soul music and like Dave D it's an era that's very close to my heart.Had some fantastic times.

I must have met Gavin in Bluebird records,did you used to go to Dumbo's in Dunstable Gav??

Pete

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

The 80's a great era for soul music and like Dave D it's an era that's very close to my heart.Had some fantastic times.

I must have met Gavin in Bluebird records,did you used to go to Dumbo's in Dunstable Gav??

Pete

Pete never played there but went there mate. My Promotion partner Bob Cosby used to play there !

I used to play at the Casa in Luton.

Stringers in Leighton Buzzard

Unicorn Leighton Buzzard

So where were you living then if not now ?

Right Then been having a dig about and a little play -

Jerry Bell

Enchantment

Alicia Myers

Alton Wokie Stewart

One Way

Fredie Jackson

Tashan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard Johnson

Kleer

Maze

Garry Glenn

Michael Henderson

J Blackfoot

Happy times !

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Pete never played there but went there mate. My Promotion partner Bob Cosby used to play there !

I used to play at the Casa in Luton.

Stringers in Leighton Buzzard

Unicorn Leighton Buzzard

So where were you living then if not now ?

I was in the RAF at Halton near Aylesbury,used to go to The Bell at Tring too.

Martin Collins on Chiltern radio on a sunday afternoon.

Happy times

Pete :unsure:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Question of the day..... Was all 80's synthesised cack? Or were there some good records as well.....

......like this?

Well I bought Gene Chandler's "Does she have a friend" while off the scene (with youngsters) and look what happened to that, they flipped it over and it became a Northern H - I - T or am I living in a dream world?? :unsure:

Martin

Social source share

For me the 80`s had enough quality for me to see it in a positive light (although the bad stuff was Bad !) For example there was quality major label stuff from the likes of Bert Robinson,Beau Williams,Bobby Womack,Controllers etc ,ballads from Truth,Ronnie Garrett,Levert,Darrell Pediford,Rose Brothers,Ebo,Ortheia Barnes etc,as well as numerous "Modern" anthems. Below are a selection of 80`s tracks i`ve pulled out from my "New Chapter " play boxes.

Fabulous Playmates-Don`t turn your back on loving,

Larry Buford- I think i`m goona be blue,

Little Milton-Guess how much i love you and Survivors of love

Ruby Wilson-Love has come

Charles Wilson-trying to make a wrong thing right

Frank O -It`s too late

Sam Butler-I can`t get over loving you

Crosswinds-Fire

James "Bootie Tuten-I`ll never let you say goodbye

Hilights-Bad Situation

Louisiana Purchase-Baby come back

Conway Brothers-Gonna refuse your love

Phil Phillips-It takes more

Faye Marshall - Broken Promises

Beverly and Duane -Love/You belong to me

Gil Billingsley-I`m me just me

Impressions- Something said love

Greg Clayborn-TLC

Tyrone Davis-Just my luck

Norfolk-You`re my doll baby

Willie Clayton-Love pains and Your Sweetness

Shagtime band-Your precious love

James King -Memory/Easy Love

Gregg Jackson -One for the road

Jessie Mitchell-Don`t be so eager

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I was in the RAF at Halton near Aylesbury,used to go to The Bell at Tring too.

Martin Collins on Chiltern radio on a sunday afternoon.

Happy times

Pete :unsure:

I still live 8 miles from the Bell, very posh Nosh now. Martin is a good friend, doing very well now voice over's for T.V and D.jing on Capitol Gold. Sold all his records around 12 years back !

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert