Sir Joe On Ru Jac

Quinvy

I think it's an absolutely belting 60's powerhouse that sounds well skill out in a club. It's smash the place up good. The horns are a good place to start when I think about how brilliant it is.

And no I don't have it / am not going to bid on it / don't have one to sell  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sir Joe is much more well know as Joe Quarterman out of DC.

He was a typical DC based funkster for most of his career and maybe didn't possess the best 'soul drenched' vocal abilities. 

...... on funk he did gud ............

but maybe that was his true niche. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If it was available for a tenner, would you buy it?

We are all desperate to hear something new, but at some stage you have to wake up and admit that all the good stuff has been found.

Try going out without taking drugs or getting pissed. A great deal of the stuff being played now has nothing to do with northern.

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

If it was available for a tender, would you buy it?

We are all desperate to hear something new, but at some stage you have to wake up and admit that all the good stuff has been found.

Try going out without taking drugs or getting pissed. A great deal of the stuff being played now has nothing to do with northern.

Yes i 100% would. I can't understand how you could apparently like northern soul and not like this. Makes no sense at all. Saying this has nothing to do with northern is like saying the Dore label has no soul on it.

If we were talking about more recent jazz funk style records that are being played then I could agree it's fairly removed from 'traditional' northern sounds but this is as heavy a 60's belter as you'll hear. The beat, the horns, the girly backing, the label, the era - it's all there. Yes the vocal isn't the strongest but as Dave and Cliff says - but when's that stopped a northern record being great?

I heard Greety play this at Bisley a while back and it sounded perfect in a big venue.

I like hearing new things all the time and with that I hear a lot of old shit but this has all the hallmarks of a great 60's northern soul record. One of the best recent finds along with the Parliaments for me. Each to their own as per usual etc etc. If you find a copy I'll give you £20 and you'll have doubled your money. No need to thank me. :wink:

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Nobody beats my love sounds really brilliant played out imo, its very loud and well recorded. Everytime i played it out it made the dancefloor move!

I never played if you give up your love out cause it sounds a bit average imo....

Social source share

You need to get out more......

Same old argument.... all the good stuff has already been found.....and usually from those that don't bother to step out of their front door.

I would love to go out and hear some new quality tunes, and I spent years and years going all over the country trying to find some. There was very little of quality out there. That's why I started my own nighter, so I could hear some decent new to me tunes.

Anyone can play an hour of stuff that no one has heard before. The problem is you'll never want to hear them again because they are rubbish.

I also spent years travelling round the country to listen to Dj's that were highly regarded so that I could book them for my event. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. With the exception of Butch, Andy Dyson and Kitch I never heard anyone that impressed me enough to book them.

It's all down to taste, or should I say the lack of it. How can you hope to inspire dancers when you don't dance?

And I've heard the stuff you play, and I stand by what I said.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's why I started my own nighter, so I could hear some decent new to me tunes

And that failed.  The majority of the records at your all-nighter were not new, they'd been around years.  You seem to do nothing but knock the scene since you packed it in.

Social source share

And that failed.  The majority of the records at your all-nighter were not new, they'd been around years.  You seem to do nothing but knock the scene since you packed it in.

How do you work out it failed? Because it didn't drag on for twenty years going through the motions? It broke the mold and played quality dance music from start to Finnish. Many people said it spoilt them for when they went anywhere else. If you read my post properly I said new to me. We are all aware that you know everything Chalky, but the fact is we played stuff that a lot of people didn't know, and instead of playing 6 great records in a set of mediocre stuff, we played all the great records one after the other.

I regard Cliff Camfield as the best Dj out there. He has the taste and he keeps finding Great Dance music that nobody else is playing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes i 100% would. I can't understand how you could apparently like northern soul and not like this. Makes no sense at all. Saying this has nothing to do with northern is like saying the Dore label has no soul on it.

If we were talking about more recent jazz funk style records that are being played then I could agree it's fairly removed from 'traditional' northern sounds but this is as heavy a 60's belter as you'll hear. The beat, the horns, the girly backing, the label, the era - it's all there. Yes the vocal isn't the strongest but as Dave and Cliff says - but when's that stopped a northern record being great?

I heard Greety play this at Bisley a while back and it sounded perfect in a big venue.

I like hearing new things all the time and with that I hear a lot of old shit but this has all the hallmarks of a great 60's northern soul record. One of the best recent finds along with the Parliaments for me. Each to their own as per usual etc etc. If you find a copy I'll give you £20 and you'll have doubled your money. No need to thank me. :wink:

Some people are very easily impressed. Sorry I can't do smileys on this ipad

Social source share

If it was available for a tender, would you buy it?

COULD'NT HAVE PUT IT BETTER MYSELF ......................99% CORRECT THE 1% IS FOR PEOPLE WITH A BAD HEARING PROBLEM !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some people are very easily impressed. Sorry I can't do smileys on this ipad

Phil ...but you can ..iPad has the same capability has iPhone ,you need to go into settings ,general ,keyboard ..international keyboard and select the emoji one ,failing that ..choose the : and then the close bracket ) or ( together and you get happy or sad face :)

Social source share

I would love to go out and hear some new quality tunes, and I spent years and years going all over the country trying to find some. There was very little of quality out there. That's why I started my own nighter, so I could hear some decent new to listen to

I also spent years travelling round the country to listen to Dj's that were highly regarded so that I could book them for my event. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. With the exception of Butch, Andy Dyson and Kitch I never heard anyone that impressed me enough to book them.

d.

That's a mad statement Phil nobody impressed you why the hell did you book me and loads of other DJ,s if we where shite lol

Regarding Burnley it was a great niter in its day but to be truthful nearly everything that was played was known by myself and other collecters with long term knowledge great music tho but it was the big well known 45's that always filled the dancefloor whenever I went

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

it,s not always about what is known........to that end you're gonna fail.......what phils burnley and burnley now does is play kicking  dance tunes  known or otherwise  ALL NIGHT!!  because thats what makes a good night.......sitting there waiting all night for a tune you don,t know,thats good ...well you.ll wait a long time. As for only the big well known tunes filling the dancefloor ..well of course they will...but some of the best dancefloor filling spots have also been/are when they are lesser known  60's stormers...and thats the truth!!.....it,s about having a night out worth attending............as someone said to me ay 5 in the morning ....it,s worth the 3 hour drive just for **** spot......and l would also agree....CLIFF CAMFIELD.....has no equal behind the decks......an understated master of danceing soul music

Social source share

That's a mad statement Phil nobody impressed you why the hell did you book me and loads of other DJ,s if we where shite lol

Regarding Burnley it was a great niter in its day but to be truthful nearly everything that was played was known by myself and other collecters with long term knowledge great music tho but it was the big well known 45's that always filled the dancefloor whenever I went

I was talking about the big name Dj's in the main, but I booked other Dj's that Cliff recommended. And without exception the ones Cliff suggested were top notch. I also made the mistake of listening to some other people's recommendations with disastrous results.

And you may have known all the records played but you never heard them all played in one night. No fillers, just quality.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was talking about the big name Dj's in the main, but I booked other Dj's that Cliff recommended. And without exception the ones Cliff suggested were top notch. I also made the mistake of listening to some other people's recommendations with disastrous results.

And you may have known all the records played but you never heard them all played in one night. No fillers, just quality.

Also, you always went home early Ian, and didn't experience the whole 8 hours. Karl and Cliff always played something a bit different.

Social source share

Phil ...but you can ..iPad has the same capability has iPhone ,you need to go into settings ,general ,keyboard ..international keyboard and select the emoji one ,failing that ..choose the : and then the close bracket ) or ( together and you get happy or sad face :)

Thanks Nev I'll try that.

Social source share

How do you work out it failed? Because it didn't drag on for twenty years going through the motions? It broke the mold and played quality dance music from start to Finnish. Many people said it spoilt them for when they went anywhere else. If you read my post properly I said new to me. We are all aware that you know everything Chalky, but the fact is we played stuff that a lot of people didn't know, and instead of playing 6 great records in a set of mediocre stuff, we played all the great records one after the other.

I regard Cliff Camfield as the best Dj out there. He has the taste and he keeps finding Great Dance music that nobody else is playing.

It failed because of the lack of numbers, nothing to do with the music which didn't break any mould.  My knowledge is nothing compared to plenty on this scene and no one knows everything Phil but the majority of the records had been around and been played for years, very little groundbreaking or breaking the mould music so lets dispel the myth once and for all, simply good uptempo dancers as you say which is hardly something new on this scene of over 40 years.  If they are new to you fine, but that wouldn't be hard after missing out on many years would it?

But this isn't about Burnley, it's about you coming on here and constantly knocking what others are doing, when as Cliff said you don't go past your front door, it's all you seem to do at times.  Why not come on here and give a few examples of lesser known records that are not scraping the barrel?

The record in question is played by some of the biggest name DJ's on the scene, some of those you trumpet above, they aren't DJ's to play a record simply because it costs several thousand pounds.  If you don't like it fine, plenty of big money records I don't like.

I would agree Cliff is a great DJ who does play good lesser known stuff, regardless of the price as was Karl.  But Karl was hardly just a Burnley DJ, he was doing his thing all over the country so he wasn't what you would call exclusive.

Social source share

It's all down to taste, or should I say the lack of it. How can you hope to inspire dancers when you don't dance?

Just because someone's taste is different to yours it doesn't mean they lack taste.  If we all had the same taste it would be boring. The diverse taste in music held by those on this scene are what makes it so interesting.  

And as for the last bit, half the top DJ's in the country don't dance including the two I consider to be the best.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

One new record  a night does not make........get ya head around that concept  and ya halfway there.

Are we saying that if you know all the records in a night......it,s not a good night or put another way  it,s a poor night if nowt new/good is played?.

for me sir joe is average......soul sounds unlimited    now ya talking :thumbsup:  :D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Also, you always went home early Ian, and didn't experience the whole 8 hours. Karl and Cliff always played something a bit different.

Didn,t chalkey get a prime time spot>  l seem to remember.

Social source share

One new record  a night does not make........get ya head around that concept  and ya halfway there.

Are we saying that if you know all the records in a night......it,s not a good night or put another way  it,s a poor night if nowt new/good is played?.

for me sir joe is average......soul sounds unlimited    now ya talking :thumbsup:  :D

I don't think anyone is saying that at all Terry.  It's how something is described that is the issue.  Burnley is a good nighter with quality music no one is denying that or saying anything different.  But as I said it isn't about Burnley.   Phil is constantly knocking the scene he hasn't been involved with for sometime and knocking everyone's taste because it doesn't match his.

Sir Joe is far from scraping the barrel.  Soul Sounds Unlimited not bad either  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Phil I know it must have been hard for you to understand being from Barnoldswick when you ran the Niter But some people have lives outside Northern Soul me I work every other weekend and has you know mate I'm well into my competition fishing and watching Leigh Centurions on Sundays amongst other things so don't put me in a Whicker Man and burn me on Barny Common if I went home at 3 am and fished the morning after looking like a half dead zombie from a children of the nite movie lol

There's some fishing on this thread as well. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I never DJ'ed for Phil.

No but like every other Dj around you wanted to.

The reason it was never packed was because I ran it in a professional manner, and stayed true to my principals.

Karl was the most innovative and successful Dj that has emerged on this scene for many years. And even though he worked all over the country, he always saved his best stuff for Burnley.

The point I was trying to make was this. If the top Dj's on the scene are playing records like Sir Joe, and the consensus on the scene is that this is a great record, then I'm hardly going to think wow, I must go out and hear more stuff like this.

I've just played it again, and it's dreadful.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No but like every other Dj around you wanted to.

The reason it was never packed was because I ran it in a professional manner, and stayed true to my principals.

Karl was the most innovative and successful Dj that has emerged on this scene for many years. And even though he worked all over the country, he always saved his best stuff for Burnley.

The point I was trying to make was this. If the top Dj's on the scene are playing records like Sir Joe, and the consensus on the scene is that this is a great record, then I'm hardly going to think wow, I must go out and hear more stuff like this.

I've just played it again, and it's dreadful.

:lol:  You do talk some rubbish 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

it would be considerably funnier,where it not also insensitive with hypocracy being unashamedly displayed, but what really angers me is the suggestion that someone, known to be a good dj and a regular supporter of gigs throughout lancs, who would like to get a shot at the aforementioned venue, dosn't get a look-in, yet other "good" djs get the nod and a wink just like that. sounds very much to me like "white collar" "mates" " yer face dont fit or i just dont like you". it suggests its figured that even though a person is known to collect, what he's got in his box isnt up to it....how can anyone be so judgemental?.....its also amazing how this unjustified inuendo is allowed to hijack the original thread...the like or dislike of the record..in that respect, as chalky say's quite rightly, it is each to his own...if we all liked everything we would be accused on mass, of tunnel vision. i had a listen to the soundclip on chris's site on thursday..its not bad, the name quarterman was instantly recognisable from his gsf outings but im totally unaware of any 60's substance, so, its a new one on me, but if its super rare, its gonna command a fee and there are those who figure it has potential or the financial risk wouldn't even be contamplated.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share