Linda Jones - Marmite Soul?

For some Linda Jones is the most incredible soul singer ever.

For others, she is just too much and goes over the top - too much 'wailing' and too many vocal acrobatics - basically too much cheese :cheese1:

She has recorded some truly class tracks and I would be interested in hearing some I don't already know.

To get things going, here is one I have always loved - not a solo effort but a combination with the Whatnauts. A song from my youth courtesy of the great Dave Evison.

So, if Linda Jones is a Marmite singer, do you like Marmite?

Hey, just spotted a classic cheese and Marmite thing going on here  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

So many marvellous sides, she was truly wonderful.

I would have anointed her feet with perfumed oils

Her first outing on Turbo (1971)

Social source share

I like marmite and eat cheese.

Have you tried them both together? I thinks its a great combination.

Anyhow, back onto Linda Jones - PURE CLASS

"When The Hurt Comes Back" doesn't seem to get mentioned that much and is a beautiful piece of soul

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Black Music and Blues & Soul was where I first heard about her and the words written about her were so powerful I had to hear her, but at that time, aged 13/14, 25p a week pocket money, none of her records available in the UK (as far as I knew) and nothing played on the radio.  How did people to get to hear stuff in those days?  So I don't think I did ever hear anything by her until Just Can't Live My Life was issued in 1975 due to Northern demand.  Plus I kept mixing her up with Lorraine Ellison which didn't help.

Social source share

I can see you what mean that some people might regard her as being a bit over the top but, in my book, she's fantastic. One of the all time greats!

She does have tendency to do a lot of technically very difficult vocal acrobatics, vibrato, fast scales etc.

Not in the same cringe-worthy category thankfully as Gloria Taylor or even Mariah Carey  :lol:

What are her best lesser-known Northern-type tracks then?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

THE BEST FEMALE SINGER THAT AS EVER LIVED!!! End Of.

Up there with Aretha and Kim Weston!  :thumbsup:

They just do not come any better than........................

https://youtu.be/pDYx1gK117w

I bought my copy from Scooby about 15 years ago Dave.......£20.00  :shhh:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Having only recently acquired Linda's " Hypnotized" LP on Loma, I have to say it's barely been back in the sleeve since. Just amazing. (Thanks again BG if you read this). With that on one deck and the recently released Ty Karim LP delight from Ace/Kent on the other, I've lost a good few hours just listening and soaking in the soul from what must be two of the best female soul vocalists ever.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Prefer her deeper slower stuff myself but for dancefloor friendly, even if it's not out and out Northern then this one from her Hypnotized album gets my vote.

Social source share

For some Linda Jones is the most incredible soul singer ever.

For others, she is just too much and goes over the top - too much 'wailing' and too many vocal acrobatics - basically too much cheese :cheese1:

She has recorded some truly class tracks and I would be interested in hearing some I don't already know.

To get things going, here is one I have always loved - not a solo effort but a combination with the Whatnauts. A song from my youth courtesy of the great Dave Evison.

So, if Linda Jones is a Marmite singer, do you like Marmite?

Hey, just spotted a classic cheese and Marmite thing going on here  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

what's marmite?

I heard it mentioned on an episode of "Vicar of Dibley" (i saw on netflix) and didn't know what it was!

Social source share

Guest drewid

Can't believe this topic Linda jones ,marmite, mind you I was once told by someone "in the know" that Gladys knight was no soul singer so shouldn't be too surprised about this . Linda jones , marmite , keep saying it to myself like Peter Kay with his "garlic bread "

Social source share

Prefer Vegemite personally, no where near as strong tasting.  :yes:

attachicon.gifveg.jpg

The old Marmite jars used to have the instruction 'spread thinly' because it is quite strong.

Vegemite tastes quite different - nice for a change  :yes:

Never tried a Vegemite and cheese combination - guess it would work  :cheese1: 

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

How's about some of her Neptune sides, That's When I'll Stop Loving You/I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" and " Ooh Baby You Move Me/Can You Blame Me?"

Also "Fugitive From Love" Turbo and Blue Cat mind you I always thought "You Hit Me Like T.N.T was pop crap but that's just my opinion of course.

Dave.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I have I Can't Stop Lovin' My Baby on Loma and think it's the business!

I had a chance to pick up the Loma LP a few months ago from a chap but was short of cash and didn't.  Is the LP good as well?

Yeah, the Loma LP is very good.

It also came out in the UK, with JJ Jackson's Loma LP on the flip, as part of The Loma Story that came out due to demand in the 70s. (7 vol set).

Social source share

It's a yeast extract.

The marketing pitch is you love it or hate it.

Google it  :D

Richard

It's a yeast extract.

The marketing pitch is you love it or hate it.

Google it  :D

Richard

I just know the Vicar of Dibley hates it! 

There is a British ex-pat grocery down the coast. I will have to drive down and see if they have some. I am intrigued.....

Social source share

Have you tried them both together? I thinks its a great combination.

Anyhow, back onto Linda Jones - PURE CLASS

"When The Hurt Comes Back" doesn't seem to get mentioned that much and is a beautiful piece of soul

Hi John

Absolutely lovely record - new to me my friend.

Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi John

Absolutely lovely record - new to me my friend.

Thanks

Peter

Me too - very nice indeed

I'm still having this thing with Linda Jones though when she does more than is needed - 'more is less' - rather than 'less is more' (which probably defines my musical taste overall I guess).

There's a bit early on where she does a kind of James (Jimmy) Stewart (impersonator) type wobble/wibble thing - which for me detracts  :face:

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Me too - very nice indeed

I'm still having this thing with Linda Jones though when she does more than is needed - 'more is less' - rather than 'less is more' (which probably defines my musical taste overall I guess).

There's a bit early on where she does a kind of James (Jimmy) Stewart (impersonator) type wobble/wibble thing - which for me detracts  :face:

Cheers

Richard

I know and hear where you're coming from Richard. I don't know too much about Linda to be honest. Always been a big fan of JCLML and ISGIFY and know a few others but the thread - like so many others, has been a learning curve.

Nice one.

Peter

Social source share

Very sad loss so early in her life - " She must have have seen something coming when she sang I cant stop loving my baby as 2 lines in the lyrics say " Take a trip up to heaven - Ive been many times before"

She was just abrilliant singer with a fabulous range

Yes, 28 is no age is it.

From things I've read she had diabetes and died at home in between shows. For someone so young the girl left some musical legacy which is clearly appreciated by many. Her voice lives on.

Peter

Social source share

Darn it Tony - isn't that just brilliant?

My conclusion is that Linda's voice was best suited to up-tempo numbers - this kept her in control so she could do the right amount of wailing and vocal acrobatics suitable for the song. 

On her slower, deeper numbers she tends to go too far and wibble all over the place - 'more is less' kind of effect - rather than the right amount.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!