Question-Gil Scott Heron-Pieces Of A Man

hi all, was gonna put this album up for sale today, however need to get a few things clear before i post it up, i thought my copy was an an original copy, FD 10143, its on the flying dutchman label and the label is a light green, orange and pink label, however i,ve seen a couple on ebay but with a white label although same number, one of them priced at £146, so i,m thinking my could be a pressing, could anyone enlighten me please and a ball park figure on price...thankyou...phil

Social source share

hi all, was gonna put this album up for sale today, however need to get a few things clear before i post it up, i thought my copy was an an original copy, FD 10143, its on the flying dutchman label and the label is a light green, orange and pink label, however i,ve seen a couple on ebay but with a white label although same number, one of them priced at £146, so i,m thinking my could be a pressing, could anyone enlighten me please and a ball park figure on price...thankyou...phil

Fairly good chance that yours is a reissue.....seen that multicoloured label on the reissues from 10 or so years back. My old 70s orig was the white label - got a UK Phillips copy now tho'......Girth

This could be the one you have, gives some matrix details and run out numbers for you to check....

https://www.discogs.com/Gil-Scott-Heron-Pieces-Of-A-Man/release/1512600

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

Thanks mate for the reply, think your right , mine is reissue, the white label is original and looking at the inner cover of sleeve that is slightly different plus the label states Gil Scott heron and ??? , thanks for clearing it up for me.. Phil

Social source share

Thanks mate for the reply, think your right , mine is reissue, the white label is original and looking at the inner cover of sleeve that is slightly different plus the label states Gil Scott heron and ??? , thanks for clearing it up for me.. Phil

All the releases before and after this in the FD catalogue originally appeared with the multi-coloured label, so I think this did as well.

Because it was a popular title it was reissued with the white coloured label when FD began to self distribute in 1972/3.

Garth is right that the recent pressings have used the multi-coloured label. If you have a recent reissue the card stock will be white as opposed to the brown of an FD original.You can see this by looking inside the sleeve.

EDIT:

Just found this listing, which shows the first press original, with labels and spine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIL-SCOTT-HERON-PIECES-OF-A-MAN-ORIG-71-FLYING-DUTCHMAN-LP-GEORGE-PIROS-MASTER-/160973957119?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item257acba7ff&nma=true&si=X0unYfgaNRMe78xHM3bjkBfW7Co%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

All the releases before and after this in the FD catalogue originally appeared with the multi-coloured label, so I think this did as well.

Because it was a popular title it was reissued with the white coloured label when FD began to self distribute in 1972/3.

Garth is right that the recent pressings have used the multi-coloured label. If you have a recent reissue the card stock will be white as opposed to the brown of an FD original.You can see this by looking inside the sleeve.

EDIT:

Just found this listing, which shows the first press original, with labels and spine.

the english phillips release has side one the same tracks but in a completley different order side two is the same, why?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIL-SCOTT-HERON-PIECES-OF-A-MAN-ORIG-71-FLYING-DUTCHMAN-LP-GEORGE-PIROS-MASTER-/160973957119?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item257acba7ff&nma=true&si=X0unYfgaNRMe78xHM3bjkBfW7Co%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Social source share

what a great album stand out track for me "Home is where the hatred is" lyrics/vocal/instruments superb.For me better than Esther Phillips fantastic rendition.

when you are who you are is the killer track for me and of course lady day and john coltrane, fab album all round

Edited by garswood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

EDIT:

thanks dean, that clears it all up for me, mine is original , its exactly the same as the one listed in your post, 

the one listed here on the other hand is a reissue, think the seller is chancing it asking for $220

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIL-SCOTT-HERON-Pieces-Man-FLYING-DUTCHMAN-LP-original-71-fd10143-gatefold-/290629281617?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D6867649418444140136%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D160973957119%26

thanks for all the info...phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!