Superbs - Wind In My Sails

Steve L

Marc Forrest has a copy I know cos I dribbled on it :-)

Really ?

It was thought to be unreleased by Dore and at one time so rare that the people who put out the cd "the northern soul of Dore" ,did not have enough info to establish the fact it was actually released .

There has been about 4 copies on eBay in the last yr ,plus about 3 or 4 that weren't on eBay that have been in collections .

The first legit 45 I heard of was " Big "George Mahoud and then Mike Vague from California who co-incidentally collects the label .

I offered my copy to Marc as a trade and he wasn't that fussed ,or maybe he already had it ?

Either way it exists on 45 ,but just how many copies are known ,well that's the million dollar question :)

Social source share

Mike acquired a whole stack of Dore discs when he co-bought the Ray Dobard estate....I don't know how many copies would have surfaced on that load, but guaranteed not many, if any at all (barring Mike's own copy).

Another CA dealer had one that recently made it's way to London.....and two copies came out of a Bay Area collection late last year. They were brought to Whittier, and then shipped out elsewhere. I also saw a VG copy float through the bay last year, which I think was listed for the sweet soul flip.

Social source share

Really ?

It was thought to be unreleased by Dore and at one time so rare that the people who put out the cd "the northern soul of Dore" ,did not have enough info to establish the fact it was actually released .

There has been about 4 copies on eBay in the last yr ,plus about 3 or 4 that weren't on eBay that have been in collections .

The first legit 45 I heard of was " Big "George Mahoud and then Mike Vague from California who co-incidentally collects the label .

I offered my copy to Marc as a trade and he wasn't that fussed ,or maybe he already had it ?

Either way it exists on 45 ,but just how many copies are known ,well that's the million dollar question :)

Don't believe what you read Nev.   The very same people said the Swans "Nitty Gritty City" was also unreleased, that isn't correct either.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Really ?

Think I got this mixed up with the other rare one on Dore, oops sorry

Social source share

Lol yes and yes Nev

Different label design / colour and we must'nt make the mistake of confusing wind in my sails with the other one on blue Dore' - wind is blowing cos that's already been done :)

Social source share

:elvis: ,keep up Steve.!!! I told you my story on this when it was on e-bay.! That one went to.......now what's his name? :lol: .Needles to say my bid got wiped out.

George Mahood played it at Redemption 2011,i think,that's when i first heard it .

Edited by KevH
Social source share

:elvis: ,keep up Steve.!!! I told you my story on this when it was on e-bay.! That one went to.......now what's his name? :lol: .Needles to say my bid got wiped out.

George Mahood played it at Redemption 2011,i think,that's when i first heard it .

Doh :facepalm:

You know my memory has gone mate, you need to make allowances :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mmmmm ....sounds very interesting ,this very interesting story ..I'm very interested :)

Goes a bit like this.

He saw it listed for the sweet side by a guy in Detroit, opening bid $9.99, forgot to bid. Didn't sell so when guy re-listed it, he won it at $$$$. Record came in a jiffy bag broken in two, gutted to say the least.

There are at least 4 in the UK, Butch, Marco, George and I think Arthur or Sam also have it.

Been a big tune on the West Coast Lowrider scene for many years for the sweet flip, guess there are a fair few in some of their collections

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Goes a bit like this.

He saw it listed for the sweet side by a guy in Detroit, opening bid $9.99, forgot to bid. Didn't sell so when guy re-listed it, he won it at $$$$. Record came in a jiffy bag broken in two, gutted to say the least.

There are at least 4 in the UK, Butch, Marco, George and I think Arthur or Sam also have it.

Been a big tune on the West Coast Lowrider scene for many years for the sweet flip, guess there are a fair few in some of their collections

Thanks Dave ,I had heard the story myself but was just building it up for those who hadn't :)

George ,Marco ,Butch ,Arthur ,Dave Ripolles and James Pogson and I'm sure someone else because another one went thru eBay unaccounted ..then of course as you rightly say ...The USA collectors / dj's .

Was gonna include myself but I'm too modest !

P.s

The guy who listed the NM copy on eBay bought a massive collection off a producer or the like and in it were 9 NM copies of Scorpio & his people .

Social source share

just to confirm, its true I dont own a copy. wont comment on nevs statement that I wasnt that fussed when he offered me his copy as I dont wanna diss the people who own and play it ;)

out of interest nev, did any of the above mentioned owners of a copy bought yours in the end or do you still have yours ?

cheers

Social source share

At least 3 copys then (Marco) great record reminds me of that Rare thing on True Glow Town :hypo:  "Bolder n Bold Dagain -- Bolder N Bold Dagain"   :facepalm: Doh!!!!, can't remeber its name.

That'll be Royal Robins - Something About You That Send Me..... also quite brilliant :yes:

Social source share

just to confirm, its true I dont own a copy. wont comment on nevs statement that I wasnt that fussed when he offered me his copy as I dont wanna diss the people who own and play it ;)

out of interest nev, did any of the above mentioned owners of a copy bought yours in the end or do you still have yours ?

cheers

No comment Marc ,but I no longer have a copy :)
Social source share

Guest marco

Been playing this out for about 7 years, initially on a vinyl carver off the Dore CD. Was talking to Butch about it and discussing the possibility of there being a legit studio disc out here somewhere, so decided to put a very speculative search on ebay for it which I quickly forgot about. Could hardly believe it when some 4 or 5 years later I get an alert and up pops an issue. I bought it of Tommy Potts. A few months later I described it to George who had just come back from a US trip where a contact of his had played him an obscure and expensive Superbs track. it was the same record and he snapped up the second known copy in the UK. Recently a little batch have turned up... and yes, Mick has a story of his own to tell one day.

Edited by marco
Social source share

Guest marco

For the record - the first person I heard play it was Keb at Jo Jos, who played it for 3 or 4 weeks while Butch was guesting there regularly and more soul was being played.

Social source share

For the record - the first person I heard play it was Keb at Jo Jos, who played it for 3 or 4 weeks while Butch was guesting there regularly and more soul was being played.

What format was Keb playing it off then ??

Social source share

Goes a bit like this.

Yes Dave, I heard this quite a few years ago from a guy in CA but he would'nt sell it and I kinda forgot about it. I know Mike Noriega was going on about it for sometime but could'nt confirm wether he had it or not. Great record and reminds me a little of Originals "Financial Affair" in places..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mediocre record. First Sir Joe and now the Superbs. Overrated and worshipped only because it's rare. Do your hearing aids have flat batteries?

I totally agree but the sweet soul side rules. I know a couple of older sweet soul collectors who have had this for many years. I said this in the last thread about the record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!