Ric Tic Revue

Guest buster

Guest buster

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget. whistling.gif:shades:

Edited by buster
Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget. whistling.gif:shades:

========

for me this night was perhaps one of the greatest all niters of all time and maybe chris kings finest hour!

im not exaggerating either

the main hall in the leisure was rammed as was the rest of the place..and it was a big place to fill!

simply a night to remember!

Social source share

My first ever all nighter..............and my biggest record I came away with in my head after that night was Johnny Caswell "You Don't Love Me Anymore".

January 21st 1983..................you don't forget dates like that whistling.gif:D:shades:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest buster

My first ever all nighter..............and my biggest record I came away with in my head after that night was Johnny Caswell "You Don't Love Me Anymore".

January 21st 1983..................you don't forget dates like that whistling.gif:D:shades:

one of the best nighters i ever attended... :D

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Yes have some memories from this nighter that wil stay with me for a lifetime, great people, great mates (RIP SHIPPO).

Try this site the guy has a few pictures from the night www.soulechoes.co.uk

Cheers ,

Alan

Edited by southpaw
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I was there too, I think Sian Griffiths might have some photo's in her area on this site. I will check at home later.

I went up with Mike Leeson (Where are you Mike?). loved hinckley as it was the first nighter I travelled to.

Social source share

January 21st 1983..................you don't forget dates like that :wicked::lol::lol:

It was my 17 th birthday ......and I was stitched up by Chris King for tickets. Ended up paying twice but it was absolutely bloody brilliant.

x

Social source share

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget. :wicked::lol:

It was an excellent night. A number of us travelled over from Peterborough. Also interviewed Popcorn Wylie at Hinckley for Blackbeat.

Al Kent was one of the friendliest guys you could meet a real gentle giant.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Yes have some memories from this nighter that wil stay with me for a lifetime, great people, great mates (RIP SHIPPO).

Try this site the guy has a few pictures from the night www.soulechoes.co.uk

Cheers ,

Alan

Second that on Shippo, good lad sorely missed. I think I was with you and Shippo when the Ric Tic revue rolled into the Notts Palais. What a night - but for some reason, don't know why now I didn't make the Hinckley nighter for this

Social source share

Second that on Shippo, good lad sorely missed. I think I was with you and Shippo when the Ric Tic revue rolled into the Notts Palais. What a night - but for some reason, don't know why now I didn't make the Hinckley nighter for this

=========

there were some great acts at hinckley wasnt there

edwins appearance in the september of the first year was pretty sensational

tommy hunt at the 2nd all niters in the small room was really good too...

Social source share

Hi mark r,

i went to this too, great night, i had a video of the night too which i lent to dave cain in gloucester, i must chase him up and get this back, Pat Lewis was the replacement for Laura Lee not turning up. The video was great from memory although the sound was a little distorted, footage of Lou Ragland, Al Kent, Pat Lewis and of course the master himself Edwin. The video came from Rob Blackwood from Blackpool if memory serves me right, if i get it back i can run some copies off if anyone interested

cheers rob hurcomb

Social source share

Hi mark r,

i went to this too, great night, i had a video of the night too which i lent to dave cain in gloucester, i must chase him up and get this back, Pat Lewis was the replacement for Laura Lee not turning up. The video was great from memory although the sound was a little distorted, footage of Lou Ragland, Al Kent, Pat Lewis and of course the master himself Edwin. The video came from Rob Blackwood from Blackpool if memory serves me right, if i get it back i can run some copies off if anyone interested

cheers rob hurcomb

Hi Rob...........how's things mate??

Clearly, if you got the vid back I would love a copy...............my first ever all-nighter on video??..........sounds cool to me!! :unsure::lol:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Great night - great venue!!

I have pics from the night and will attempt to post them up when time gets the better of me - hopefully before I go to Egypt on Sunday - just thought I'd get that in quickly. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget. :unsure::D

Saw this at Manchester Ritz all dayer, 23/01/1983, got loads of pictures somewhere and even and autographed poster... Lou Ragland stole the show for me... :D:lol:

Social source share

I saw JJ Barnes live at the Blackpool Mecca in 1973. He did 2 shows and sang everything. The band did a warm up by playing Got To Get You Into My Life and the whole crowd howled with laughter. The band were gobsmacked!

It then turned into a northern night with Levine and Jebb. We took a whole coach load from Burnley and had to skive an hour off work to get there in time as I think the show was on a Wednesday or Thursday.

He was class.

Social source share

Guest Craig the Manc

Saw this at Manchester Ritz all dayer, 23/01/1983, got loads of pictures somewhere and even and autographed poster... Lou Ragland stole the show for me... :lol::huh:

Just posted 4 pic's from the Ritz Dayer in the photo's section titled "a few from the 80's"

Social source share

It was an excellent night. A number of us travelled over from Peterborough. Also interviewed Popcorn Wylie at Hinckley for Blackbeat.

Al Kent was one of the friendliest guys you could meet a real gentle giant.

I was with you that night Steve.

I remember Al Kent telling us that Norma Toney (the writer "N. Toney" on tons of great records) was his wife.

Blew me away!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Mart B

I also went to the ric tic niter with rob marriott what a great nite.

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget.
:wicked:ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget. yes.gif:wicked:

Had a great night on the left hand side of the stage . . . we sang louder than the r/h side that night, I'm sure!!

Martin

p.s. for a review of The Ric-Tic Review look on https://martins_box.tripod.com/

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

i was there too and have a few pictures somewhere - it'll take me a lifetime to find them but i'll see what i can do

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

January 21st 1983..................you don't forget dates like that whistling.gif:thumbsup::shades:

Cheers,

Mark R

My first nighter as well mate tongue.gif

Social source share

THIS WAS A FAB NIGHT WENT WITH PETE FINN WHO OCCASIONALLY DJED AT STAFFORD,INFACT THE NORTH EAST WAS WELL REPRESENTED THAT NIGHT.LAURA LEE BLEW THE ROOF OFF AND WAS AWESOME ,WOULD OF LOVED TO SEE HER DO SOME OF HER DEEPER STUFF LIKE CRUMBS OF THE TABLE ETC.

ONE FOR THE MEMORY BANK DEFINETLY.

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

i've got a few i'll post them when i've dug them out...spoke with Pat Lewis at northampton the weekend and promised to send her some so now i've seen this i'll pull my finger out !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 7 months later...
Guest mel brat

Who rembers the ric tic revue i think it was at hinkly leisure centre (if my memory serves me right) would love to see some photos of of that allnighter,used to have some, left them at home when got married and moved house now my parents cant find them it was one of them nights you never forget. thumbup.gif:D

There was a small souvenir programme of the event published. A simple affair with blue cover and black and white pics of the artists involved. Neil Rushton also released a 12" disc with one of the songs performed live from the show (Lou Ragland, I think... not sure) I believe Al Kent was first to perform. I remember hearing him play "You've Got To Pay The Price".

One particular memory I have of the Ric-Tic Review at Hinkley is of dear old Edwin Starr. I had seen him perform many times before of course, having first met him in 1974. I had stopped to say hello in the corridor, where he was busy signing autographs for people. I didn't want to interrupt so I strolled off to have a look at the record bar. Naturally, I was mooching around in there for ages(!), but when I walked back I was astonished to see Edwin was still there in the corridor, still signing autographs, with that winning smile of his undiminished. This to me, was typical of Edwin. What a genuine Soul guy he was. And what a great performer too. Sadly missed.

I also saw Popcorn Wylie and Chuck Jackson there and took some nice photos of them onstage (if I can ever find them....!) However, I was not a regular at Hinkley (or anywhere else really), as I had not been involved in the Northern Scene for several years, only going to the occasional special event. Naturally I got my Pat Lewis and Al Kent records autographed (thus diminishing their retail value considerably it seems!) Later I actually phoned Al Kent in Detroit a couple of times, and once asked him if he "remembered anything about Ronnie Taylor (on Wingate)" to which he replied;

"Yes of course! As a matter of fact he's sitting here right now!" Amazing.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Dont really enjoy live acts at nighters, but this was a bit special at the time, went to hinkley on the Friday night, shame really it was an accoustic nightmare of a venue at the best of times, al kents piano was totally silent, Edwin was the best

Took Jennifer, who was at work on the Sat to the Ritz to see 'em on the Sunday, where it was far better overall.

post-5897-1179339595_thumb.jpgpost-5897-1179339566_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Dont really enjoy live acts at nighters, but this was a bit special at the time, went to hinkley on the Friday night, shame really it was an accoustic nightmare of a venue at the best of times, al kents piano was totally silent, Edwin was the best

Took Jennifer, who was at work on the Sat to the Ritz to see 'em on the Sunday, where it was far better overall.

post-5897-1179339595_thumb.jpgpost-5897-1179339566_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest nubes

=========

there were some great acts at hinckley wasnt there

edwins appearance in the september of the first year was pretty sensational

tommy hunt at the 2nd all niters in the small room was really good too...

Yes there was Mark...one of my fave ever niters....at the time...i was living over in Leicester when Hinckley was on....the Ric Tic revue was fab,....Edwin Starr...that September was Brilliant...there is a picture of him on i think the Hinckley Soul club Soul Site..from that night ....if you look carefully...you can see Viki and myself..near the front....you will piss yerself...at my hair though....it is beaded and i look like Milo from the Tweenies!!!!!!!....Delxxx

Social source share

Guest nubes

Here are some Pics of Hinkley allnighter

OMG!!!!!!! :lol::lol: the first crowd pix on the left....that is the one i am on about.look very carefully shades.gif ......Delxxx

Social source share

Guest nubes

Found you :huh:

AARGH!!!!! OH SHAME!!!!!!!...well it was the fashion at the time....wasnt one of my finer moments :thumbsup::thumbsup:blush.gif ,.....Delxx

Social source share

AARGH!!!!! OH SHAME!!!!!!!...well it was the fashion at the time....wasnt one of my finer moments :thumbsup::D:( ,.....Delxx

tee hee

Hey Del if you go to hinckley soul club look on their pics page 3

Wooo Hooo

another sweaty betty moment from me!! PMSL

Mand xxx :(

Social source share

Guest nubes

tee hee

Hey Del if you go to hinckley soul club look on their pics page 3

Wooo Hooo

another sweaty betty moment from me!! PMSL

Mand xxx :(

Mand...just had my ol man say to me " ooh youve always had chubby cheeks then" :(:D nice piccys BTW :thumbsup: ...Delxx

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

I won 3 tickets for The Ritz one via a Black Echoes competition . What a fantastic day / night that was .

I heard some brilliant stories off Pat Lewis about Tony Hestor and Darrell Banks.

I remember getting contact details for Frank Bryant and George W Roundtree in Detroit which was great.

Then someone from Bolton came in with a bag full of Blacks, Red n Browns , Green n Clears and Maroon n Clears which just put the icing on the cake !

Halcyon days !!!

Social source share

Mand...just had my ol man say to me " ooh youve always had chubby cheeks then" :lol::D nice piccys BTW :yes: ...Delxx

PMSL which ones???

sorry couldnt resist!!!

:wicked:

The pics are of me and big lad (hubby) also webmaster Dave

We visited clarendon a couple of times and they made us both very welcome

But the ris tic revue pics are awesome bet you can probably spot folks from way back eh?

Social source share

Guest nubes

Did you always have the beads in? Did you used to wear bunchies/pigtails?

No darling...that was just a one off for that night...i realised that what suited the gals from Odysessy...didnt really suit me!!!!!!Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest nubes

Should get me some brownie points :wicked:

Keep trying :wicked: ....no my feelings is still really hurt...actually i thought i looked the lead singer of Rose Royce....but i think the mirror really did lie :D:wicked: ....Delxxx

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

No darling...that was just a one off for that night...i realised that what suited the gals from Odysessy...didnt really suit me!!!!!!Delxxxx

I would have to see another "unbeaded" photo then to see if I knew you ^_^ I'm sure it looked right at that point in time :wicked:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Stuart Raith

Here are some Pics of Hinkley allnighter

RIC TIC REVUE

what a great photo of the crowd... great night for sure... spotted myself near the stage, I can see Sue from Bradford and Guy Hennigan, can't see Rob Marriott though, I know he was there because he kept talking about Pat Lewis's nipples all night (great whoppers youth ;-))

Edited by Stuart Raith
Social source share

Guest Mart B

RIC TIC REVUE

what a great photo of the crowd... great night for sure... spotted myself near the stage, I can see Sue from Bradford and Guy Hennigan, can't see Rob Marriott though, I know he was there because he kept talking about Pat Lewis's nipples all night (great whoppers youth ;-))

[/quote

Yes Rob Marriott was there i drove him there as you look at the main picture we was the next take along left.What a fantastic nite though not experienced anything like it since" live act wise.".. apart from prestatyn!.

Social source share

I won 3 tickets for The Ritz one via a Black Echoes competition . What a fantastic day / night that was .

I heard some brilliant stories off Pat Lewis about Tony Hestor and Darrell Banks.

I remember getting contact details for Frank Bryant and George W Roundtree in Detroit which was great.

Then someone from Bolton came in with a bag full of Blacks, Red n Browns , Green n Clears and Maroon n Clears which just put the icing on the cake !

Halcyon days !!!

What the fukc are "maroon & clears"??? :D you`ve been doing too many "two-tone pinks" :ohmy:

:shades:

Social source share

I went to this fantastic event in Hinckley with Brighton Boris (AKA Guildford's Paul Regan) & we went back stage (if there is such a place in a sports centre!) & had a good chat with Lou, JJ, Pat & Al. Took some great photos (& I still got the programme). Paul's jeans had a broken fly & have a cheeky pic of him with Pat Lewis looking like the phantom flasher ! Another pose & i lost my balance & fell crashing onto Lou Raglands guitar - most embarrassing .

Wish i had a video of Popcorn Wylie at Hinckley - i shall never forget his ultra soulful rendition of 'Cool off' in his safari suit !!

Pics of Paul (Brighton Boris) with broken fly getting real friendly with Pat Lewis - Talk about Solid Hitbound!!

Boris (& me looking like a southern redneck) with JJ barnes, Lou Ragland, Pat Lewis & Al Kent - What a great photographer Edwin Starr was (only kidding)

Jez Bishop starpointradio.com Wednesdays 7pm - 9pm (GMT)

post-4815-1182721380_thumb.jpg

post-4815-1182721566_thumb.jpg

Edited by jez bishop
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert