Current Day Bootlegs And Bootleggers

I hate counterfeits and bootlegs  :dash2:

Here are a couple that especially caught my eye today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Johnny-Rodgers-Make-A-Change-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-45-/140944603615?pt=UK_Records&hash=item20d0f3f9df

Anyone know the background?

Please feel free to comment or post up your favourite (worst) current day bootlegs 

Shameful  :no:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-70827800-1364643515_thumb.j

post-12286-0-80204700-1364643525_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Johnny-Rodgers-Make-A-Change-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-45-/140944603615?pt=UK_Records&hash=item20d0f3f9df

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Betty-Lloyd-Im-Catching-On-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-45-New-/130879372433?pt=UK_Records&

Please feel free to comment or post up your favourite (worst) current day bootlegs 

Cheers

Richard

300 plus bootlegs on that site by my calculations. Many with mocked up labels trying to copy the original and potentially fool some hapless souls into thinking they've hooked a bargain.

Shame on eBay in my view. Policies on counterfeit goods means jack shit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

300 plus bootlegs on that site by my calculations. Many with mocked up labels trying to copy the original and potentially fool some hapless souls into thinking they've hooked a bargain.

Shame on eBay in my view. Policies on counterfeit goods means jack shit.

just reported it to ebay like they will do anything

funny really when i sell stuff on originals i get a note up asking if what i am selling is counterfeit or not

is this automated ?

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

i thought ebay did police  counterfeit items they do on clothing and other thing like that so why not records 

It depends which companies apply more pressure on ebay to police their goods.  Obscure record labels will be way down the ladder, well known clothing brands, jewellery etc will be further up the ladder, some right at the top.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know I should get exercised about all this but whilst old boots seem to be sold by everybody, and the only eyebrow raised is the price some fetch, then I just see it as a double standard. Only thing that seperates them is time.

And I have 2 boots of Mayfield Singers and Jimmy Ruffin. Only way I could get on vinyl. And yes I have Ruffin CD. So now and again the bootleggers do provide a service which the legit companies dont.

ROD

Social source share

On a serious note "Doris" totally agree with your post - makes me laugh when people jump up and down regarding boots when in the past they have shall we say sailed close to the wind themselves! This by the way is NOT directed at anyone posting on this topic.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I sell reissues from the like's of Tramp. jazzman, Soul sevens , outa site,soul junction and alike.These are all bone fide legal and legit in the same molding as say Ace/Kent ect.They're alway's licenced and good quality and legal Tramp make the labels look like the originals but usually add the word Tramp where the original label title would be.A lot of this is mainly funk/west Indian funk and calipso type stuff with a few modern/northern track's being done.Most are ltd release 250 - 500 and alot are numbered.they're stocked and sold by big internet company's in Europe and beyond and only a small amount get to the U.K.I normally have 10 of each and rarely restock unless i get people asking for a title which has usually gone or been deleted.As a long term collector and occasional dj i don't feel like a hypercrite (sic) for doing it if the 45 has been licenced if i don't sell ten or so someone else will .What amazes me about this and the mello souls 45 comes to mind is really who's gonna buy it,when the sarah fabia funk track came out i knew around ten folk who'd want it.Only available on a painfully rare album containing mainly poetry it's an early example of rap and very funky and could see why someone would want to buy it it is in a strange way an original 45 as it's the first time on 45 , i really didn't see any problem selling copies.As i said only a few on the northern scene would have been intrested and these were all very well know northern dj's infact top of the tree type spinners.Let's face fact's here and i'm going to mention the mello souls bootleg as an example there's not that many of the soul night type attendees going to know that record and i couldn't see a mad rush by anyone who'd want to buy it, the same would go for "gotta make a change" I've played this at soul nights and emptied the floor with it so i just don't see either it makeing a jolt of differance to the price of an original or it's acceptability to a certain ordiance.However it is very wrong at the end of the day someone created that piece of music and someone owns the rights so someone has been openly robbed of money and right out in the open.I wouldn't like to go to work all week and someone have my pay cheque at the end of it and that's roughly what's happening.so in a way a criminal (a crime has been commited)has got away with a crime i hope they don't sell and i think not many will so bootleggings still around and untill these thieves get prosercuted (sic) they'll carry on.Regards Simon , i'd love to hear anyones views on me selling the legit stuff as I'd hate to be seen as doing something wrong (i produced an invoice to a well known dealer/dj and old friend of mine recently as we nearly fell out over this he said i was wrong to sell them although he sells the kent stuff he still wasn't happy but the invoice came from one of the worlds biggest distributors who wouldn't touch a bootleg with a barge pole) so guy's what do you think am i wrong to sell legit reissues or not ? if the feeling is strong enough i'll stop selling them .

Social source share

I had my say on this topic some time back and my thoughts are still the same. I have not a problem with boots being made especially cuts of very hard to get records for anyone who can not afford the real deal, as long as they look nothing like the originals or have a distinctive difference on the label. I collect expensive records and get pissed off when I see like for like labels when there is no reason for it, they would still buy them on white labels.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Cheers

Richard

How could you miss this gem Rich and a white demo too !!!! someone's going to be very lucky securing this one :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frank-Wilson-Do-I-Love-You-White-Label-Promo-Northern-Soul-New-Vinyl-45-/140936243763?pt=UK_Records&hash=item20d0746a33

Demo :lol:

Social source share

Cheers

Richard

What does BSC stand for bullshit copy

Social source share

a post was removed

if you are making serious allegations about criminal activity then you as a member must ensure that all you post up is solid and will stand up if needed

it seems that this was not the case with this post
so it was removed 

site policy is that we only allow such serious posts from a solid verified account
have requested the member to upgrade his account before posting again

ask all members to bear the above in mind before posting 
Social source share

I was so so surprised to see about three hundred different recent bootlegs of r&b racks on the shelves. I told me mate how surprised I was and went on to ask him if he still keeps track and knows whats new etc etc and he said he had given up a long time ago already. he thinks himself its way too much being "re-released" these days. plus the sound qulaity on most is so so poor. the supply by far has now outnumbered demand. side-aspect of this is that this new breed / r&b scene is almost dead by now (over here)...

I know who is putting most of these out - he's fairly blatant about it.

I can only assume that he is getting a list of "hot" titles from each of the scenes that make up the overall R&b scene - as there seems to be a broad brush stroke at the style of 45s that they are putting out.

It's crap if you've just got hold of an original, but it is keeping a bit of an arms race going between the DJs and the bootlegger.

Social source share

That's not exactly true, the best pair of sunglasses I ever had were knock offs.  I am not now or have never been a pikey.

Does anyone remember that thread about when I went down to the local tip to chuck something away and I had basically football casual gear on, SI, Lacoste or whatever, and a baseball cap, and I'd just thrown my stuff away when an old chap came up to me and said "Do you work here?"  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Does anyone remember that thread about when I went down to the local tip to chuck something away and I had basically football casual gear on, SI, Lacoste or whatever, and a baseball cap, and I'd just thrown my stuff away when an old chap came up to me and said "Do you work here?"  :lol:

So he did really think you was a pikey :lol: or just a smart casual who works at a tip :g:

Social source share

I sell reissues from the like's of Tramp. jazzman, Soul sevens , outa site,soul junction and alike.These are all bone fide legal and legit in the same molding as say Ace/Kent ect.They're alway's licenced and good quality and legal Tramp make the labels look like the originals but usually add the word Tramp where the original label title would be.A lot of this is mainly funk/west Indian funk and calipso type stuff with a few modern/northern track's being done.Most are ltd release 250 - 500 and alot are numbered.they're stocked and sold by big internet company's in Europe and beyond and only a small amount get to the U.K.I normally have 10 of each and rarely restock unless i get people asking for a title which has usually gone or been deleted.As a long term collector and occasional dj i don't feel li................................... so guy's what do you think am i wrong to sell legit reissues or not ? if the feeling is strong enough i'll stop selling them .

Licensed re-issues are no problem in my book, though many serious collectors abhor them. I reckon anyone selling the legit re-issues is supporting the music industry in a positive way, keep it up!

Social source share

MMM i think this boot legging is "catching on"........i'll get me coat no wonder i never made it as a comedian :(

It is sad that it happens but how many of us had copies in the good old days, when we were young and skint that fuelled this type of person, many of us got wise and changed, a lot dont care..... sad and maddening, but it will always happen no matter how much we now protest

geeooooordie

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Tigerpants

Cheers

Richard

$T2eC16J,%21%298E9s4l6%21IHBRWzcpqM1w~~6

Is this item he's selling legal?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stevens-Foster-I-Want-To-Be-Love-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-45-Listen-/140947424084?pt=UK_Records&hash=item20d11f0354

Social source share

I had my say on this topic some time back and my thoughts are still the same. I have not a problem with boots being made especially cuts of very hard to get records for anyone who can not afford the real deal, as long as they look nothing like the originals or have a distinctive difference on the label. I collect expensive records and get pissed off when I see like for like labels when there is no reason for it, they would still buy them on white labels.

So you don't mind the artist being ripped off as long as it doesn't impact your collection.

The hypocrisy of Northern Soul summed up in a paragraph.

Buy the f***ng legit CD is surely the answer and bootlegging means less chance of that happening. What you do after that, carver of the CD track etc, as dodgy as that may be, I couldn't care.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I sell reissues from the like's of Tramp. jazzman, Soul sevens , outa site,soul junction and alike.These are all bone fide legal and legit in the same molding as say Ace/Kent ect.They're alway's licenced and good quality and legal Tramp make the labels look like the originals but usually add the word Tramp where the original label title would be.A lot of this is mainly funk/west Indian funk and calipso type stuff with a few modern/northern track's being done.Most are ltd release 250 - 500 and alot are numbered.they're stocked and sold by big internet company's in Europe and beyond and only a small amount get to the U.K.I normally have 10 of each and rarely restock unless i get people asking for a title which has usually gone or been deleted.As a long term collector and occasional dj i don't feel like a hypercrite (sic) for doing it if the 45 has been licenced if i don't sell ten or so someone else will .What amazes me about this and the mello souls 45 comes to mind is really who's gonna buy it,when the sarah fabia funk track came out i knew around ten folk who'd want it.Only available on a painfully rare album containing mainly poetry it's an early example of rap and very funky and could see why someone would want to buy it it is in a strange way an original 45 as it's the first time on 45 , i really didn't see any problem selling copies.As i said only a few on the northern scene would have been intrested and these were all very well know northern dj's infact top of the tree type spinners.Let's face fact's here and i'm going to mention the mello souls bootleg as an example there's not that many of the soul night type attendees going to know that record and i couldn't see a mad rush by anyone who'd want to buy it, the same would go for "gotta make a change" I've played this at soul nights and emptied the floor with it so i just don't see either it makeing a jolt of differance to the price of an original or it's acceptability to a certain ordiance.However it is very wrong at the end of the day someone created that piece of music and someone owns the rights so someone has been openly robbed of money and right out in the open.I wouldn't like to go to work all week and someone have my pay cheque at the end of it and that's roughly what's happening.so in a way a criminal (a crime has been commited)has got away with a crime i hope they don't sell and i think not many will so bootleggings still around and untill these thieves get prosercuted (sic) they'll carry on.Regards Simon , i'd love to hear anyones views on me selling the legit stuff as I'd hate to be seen as doing something wrong (i produced an invoice to a well known dealer/dj and old friend of mine recently as we nearly fell out over this he said i was wrong to sell them although he sells the kent stuff he still wasn't happy but the invoice came from one of the worlds biggest distributors who wouldn't touch a bootleg with a barge pole) so guy's what do you think am i wrong to sell legit reissues or not ? if the feeling is strong enough i'll stop selling them .

Tell them to F**k off and keep selling and buying them. Its paying the people we are percieved to appreciate. Although record collecting, which most of us are guilty of, sometimes takes our attention away from that.

I assume the minefield is what is truly legit but thats another debate, you are totally correct and entitled to trust legit companies.

Good on you I say.

I totally agree with your point about dodgy bootlegs not impacting prices of records or all nighter plays, I think thats just paranoia, but they do impact CD sales so surely that needs to be reflected in peoples thoughts and actions.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So you don't mind the artist being ripped off as long as it doesn't impact your collection.

The hypocrisy of Northern Soul summed up in a paragraph.

Buy the f***ng legit CD is surely the answer and bootlegging means less chance of that happening. What you do after that, carver of the CD track etc, as dodgy as that may be, I couldn't care.

Im not having a go at you but i do hear this discussion about the Artists being ripped off...... they have been since day one and its totally wrong and i think even the legit soul scene has done that for years, the chances of most of the artists or writers getting any type of royalty is next to dead, but how many soul venues act illigally by not producing playlists and not submitting them to PRS so that artists can get royalties, or how many venues actually take or have took a moral stand and say X% of the door is going to the artists played tonight.

I think the answer is None...so your right the hypocrisy of Northern soul.....even by people like me who do collect orginals is actually shameful.

I hear and read a lot on this site and been part of the OVO brigade bangers but because they/we/I are buying original we think weve done our bit for that artist...well what exactly did we or the seller we bought off give back to the artists? oh unless it was a new release.

How much money do you think the likes of Tobi Legend or Dean Parrish should have had everytime their tracks were played on the soul scene?? if we did contribute properly

Yipee I bought real ones but the artist got feck all

So in essence are we ripping the artists off as much as the bootleggers...one for thought

Geeooooooodie

Edited by geordiejohnson
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!