Weekly Poll - Last Purchase Format Wise ?

Mike

last soul purchase was on...  

1. 1. what format was your very last soul music purchase on?

• 20th century vinyl
    • 21st century vinyl
    • cd format
    • mp3(download)

another sort of idle curiosity type survey format

just pass on what was the format of you last most recent soul music purchase and if feel in a talkative mood post a comment on what it was  :thumbsup:

think

20th century vinyl, 21st century vinyl, cd, mp3 (online) download

covers all?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

CD's about a dozen in the last week or so, just catching up on some wants that I didn't get around to getting earlier or already have on dodgy downloads.

Collecting CDs for me now is more laid back than the all engrossing search for vinyl, and a lot more music for ya buck. There are some hard to find CDs so that satisfies my searching and collecting instinct and I'm happy and content with that. 

I like something physical such as a disc, with booklets, and decorative as a display in the racks. I've never bought a download and doubt I ever will but admit to downloading freebies until I get the actual CD.

Practically never buy out and out Northern comps now as I'm more of a deep soul, downbeat & ballads chappy nowadays

Bought these lately as been playing catch up ..

Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol 1 & 2 ...... finally gotten around to getting the real 'uns as there's always been others to buy as I can get these anytime.

Manhattans - There's No Me Without You/That's How Much I Love You (Kent 229)

Manhattans - Dedicated To You/For You and Yours (Kent 103)

The Goldwax Story Vol 1 (Kent 203)

Wallace Brothers - A Lovers Prayer (Kent 128)

Jimmy Hughes - Something Extra Special (Kent)

Eddie Hinton - Hard Luck Guy

Various - Serious Shades of Soul (Kent 119)

Various - A Carnival of Soul Vol 2 (Kent 118)

Various - Sanctified Soul (Kent)

Various - Chicago Soul Cellar - MPac (Charly)

Various - Windy City Soul - One-Derful (Charly)

Yup, I've heard that old chestnut "ya can't love a CD" but at least I can afford 'em

CD collector   :shhh:  --- the devil incarnate    :lol:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Today I have actually legally downloaded a track from traxsource, paid for a 70's Soul 7" record won on e bay & in the last hour bought a 12" 2013 vinyl release & that was the last so 21st century vinyl get's the vote but only just.

Social source share

Today I have actually legally downloaded a track from traxsource, paid for a 70's Soul 7" record won on e bay & in the last hour bought a 12" 2013 vinyl release & that was the last so 21st century vinyl get's the vote but only just.

Smarty pants! :wicked:

:D

Peter

Social source share

Smarty pants! :wicked:

:D

Peter

Strange thing is though Peter I haven't bought a cd for quite a while now for myself. Got a couple of comps for the Wife & they tend to get played in the car more than anything.

Got fed up of buying CD's for one or two tracks when they can be downloaded legally for a fraction of the price.

Know several other people on the Modern scene who feel the same too.

Social source share

Admittedly its been quite a while since I bought anything that didn't fall into the "20th century vinyl" bracket. And of those, I'd say about 95% have been 45s. I do collect lots of other genres of music, just in the last 2 years or so have been fixated on filling out my soul 45s collection. I'm sure you know how that goes!

The last week-ish: 

The Chances - One More Chance (Bea & Baby)

Crystal Motion - Your're My Main Squeeze (Sound Gems) (an extra copy)

Barbara Mercer - Hey!! (Golden World) (replace my cue-burned copy)

Derek Martin - If You Go/Count To Ten (Sue)

Occasions - There's No You (Big Jim)

Billy Sha-Rae - Do It (Spectrum green label)

Dynatones - Fife Piper (HBR)

Howard Tate - Glad I Knew Better (Verve)

Ebb Tide - Give Me Your Best Shot (Sound Gems)

Social source share

"what format was your very last soul music purchase on?"

Got to say the answer to that could change on a daily basis.

Although, the latest items i've bought have been Round Robin Monopoly - People Do Change on 7", Audio - Romantic (Do You Really Want Me} on 12", and this morning i downloaded Eugenie Jones - I Want One.

alan

Social source share

I'll let someone else say "Eddie Parker - I'm Gone"....I'm getting worried about being predictable.....must try harder to be original! :D

My last purchase was an Album. 'Mary Wells - sings My Guy' - I bought it for the track 'He's The One I Love' (Same as Patti Drew) which I'm trying my bestest to play 'out' (when I dare)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

CD's about a dozen in the last week or so, just catching up on some wants that I didn't get around to getting earlier or already have on dodgy downloads.

Collecting CDs for me now is more laid back than the all engrossing search for vinyl, and a lot more music for ya buck. There are some hard to find CDs so that satisfies my searching and collecting instinct and I'm happy and content with that. 

I like something physical such as a disc, with booklets, and decorative as a display in the racks. I've never bought a download and doubt I ever will but admit to downloading freebies until I get the actual CD.

Practically never buy out and out Northern comps now as I'm more of a deep soul, downbeat & ballads chappy nowadays

Bought these lately as been playing catch up ..

Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol 1 & 2 ...... finally gotten around to getting the real 'uns as there's always been others to buy as I can get these anytime.

Manhattans - There's No Me Without You/That's How Much I Love You (Kent 229)

Manhattans - Dedicated To You/For You and Yours (Kent 103)

The Goldwax Story Vol 1 (Kent 203)

Wallace Brothers - A Lovers Prayer (Kent 128)

Jimmy Hughes - Something Extra Special (Kent)

Eddie Hinton - Hard Luck Guy

Various - Serious Shades of Soul (Kent 119)

Various - A Carnival of Soul Vol 2 (Kent 118)

Various - Sanctified Soul (Kent)

Various - Chicago Soul Cellar - MPac (Charly)

Various - Windy City Soul - One-Derful (Charly)

Yup, I've heard that old chestnut "ya can't love a CD" but at least I can afford 'em

CD collector   :shhh:  --- the devil incarnate    :lol:

Apart from The Cds you have listed,most of which i already have.I could have written the same reply.

I don't see any point in buying downloads,part of the buyin experience is the booklets on CDs and all the information you get with them.

I have purchased some hard to find CDs on e bay that were probably a lot more expensive than some vinyl you guys pay for these days.

Stu.

Social source share

I have just purchased:

Isley Bros , that's the way love is WDJ , what a tune!

Third world - journey to addis (LP) , a fantastic album, from the finest uk reggae outfit bar none .

Their version of 'now that we've found love' is outstanding. Replaced a long lost copy, well pleased

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest ritchie

Lil Mike and The Clowns ~ My Body Needs Your Body - ACE

Milton Howard ~ I'm From Missouri (You Gotta Show Me)!!- Sound Stage 7

Cheap but brilliant...

Social source share

I have just purchased:

Isley Bros , that's the way love is WDJ , what a tune!

Third world - journey to addis (LP) , a fantastic album, from the finest uk reggae outfit bar none .

Their version of 'now that we've found love' is outstanding. Replaced a long lost copy, well pleased

I think Third World would be very surprised to find that they are a UK outfit having all been born in Jamaica  :D

Social source share

Guest BENSON BOY

Profiles--- I still love you---Bamboo.

Larry Davis---The magic has gone---Decca

Arthur Alexander---Keep her guessin'--Dot

All vinyl

Social source share

Guest pauldicko

VELVET HAMMER - HAPPY - SOOZI

ESTHER PHILLIPS - CATCH ME IM FALLING - ATLANTIC

BOTH FROM PETE S - PLANET RECORDS - LAST WEEK.

JELLY BEANS - YOU DONT MEAN ME NO GOOD - FRENCH PYE

PAULDICKO

Social source share

Guest kevlarb

For Dancers Only Kent Cd - unfortunately had to sell my vinyl collection a while back, dire straights financially! regretted it ever since but at the time needed the cash! 

Social source share

Guest john s

Rico 'Soul of Africa'  (Bluebeat) - upgrade

Earl English & The Apaches - 'Trying to make ends meet' (Six Toe) - replacement for the copy I stupidly got rid of ten years ago!

Social source share

got the vinyl bug for a short while, bout the twin decks and mixer. Obtained a few peoples vinyl collections and sorted out the soul from the rubbish. Then realised how much space everything took up. As much as I love the sound of vinyl, it's not practical to store so most of it went to my S6 Soul Club pal Mick Clements.

I've now started my soul education on CD's, can't keep off ebay at the mo. Good job I'm getting stuff for less than £5.

101 Northern Soul Anthems

60s Soul Mix 1 & 2

70s Soul Mix 1

Motown Chart Busters

50 MODern Dance Tracks

Any recommendations for compilation CDs for my soul study?

Cheers

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Helen DeVann untitled 78 rpm acetate from around 1948/9 so don't really know what catagry that falls into regards Simon.

Social source share

The Supremes & The Temptations - Uptight (Everything's Alright) TMG 730

Great "other version"

Waiting to land..........

Rodge Martin - They Say Dot

Earlier,grittier,slightly slower version of Susan Rewis - They Say You Found A New Baby Columbia

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!