Different Record - Same Backing Track

Perhaps been done before (probably on more than one occasion)

Mary Saxton shares the same backing track as the Tams

Mary Saxton                                         

Tams                                                   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5B03qimRtU

What about Othello Robertson (so in luv) and Love Unlimited (it may be winter outside), do these share the same or is it just my old lugs?

Othello Robertson                              

Love Unlimited                                    

Are there any/many others out there?

Regards 

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Never mind the same backing, 30 plus years after purchasing a copy of Othello Robertson, on Baby Luv - I'm still clueless as to weather Othello is male or female !!

A female sound with a traditional english acting stage male name !

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Never mind the same backing, 30 plus years after purchasing a copy of Othello Robertson, on Baby Luv - I'm still clueless as to weather Othello is male or female !!   

Surely Othello is a girl Nick?

Interesting that there appears to be little or no reference on tinternet. Some smart ass will now come and show I'm wrong! :wicked:

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Surely Othello is a girl Nick?

Interesting that there appears to be little or no reference on tinternet. Some smart ass will now come and show I'm wrong! :wicked:

Peter

I haven't heard of any girls called Othello.

Mike Umholtz on Hitsville Soul Club thinks it's a girl. I'm not so sure.

Othello Robertson-So In Luv-Baby Luv

Someone must have had a lot of faith in this record. Most likely trying to push the B-side ballad, "Soldier Boy". Released first in Feb. 1967, it was soon licensed to ERA and pressed up again on Baby Luv with red text. I doubt it managed to make a dent in the charts and soon disappeared into obscurity. Arranged by Eddie Foster this really builds up with Ms. Robertson screeching the hook, "So In Luv". She did do another record with Dell Randle on Testifi, which is an R&B type shouter. All in all it was great effort I'm proud to have it in my box.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I haven't heard of any girls called Othello.

Mm, that is a fact that crossed my mind Matt

I thought it sounded female, but when 'he' hits those high notes at the end he sounds like a guy.

I wanted, want, Othello to be a girl cos when I used to dance to it back in the day I was sure it was a lovely girl singing a lovely mid tempo song. I'm probably wrong and my dreams have been shattered!

Feck.

Peter

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Mm, that is a fact that crossed my mind Matt

I wanted, want, Othello to be a girl cos when I used to dance to it back in the day I was sure it was a lovely girl singing a lovely mid tempo song. I'm probably wrong and my dreams have been shattered!

Feck.

Peter

Ok, I think it must be a girl because of this duet with Dell Randle.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I've always thought the person was female, based on the voice and mannerisms in the voice.  I had also thought I had remembered her being part of the San Francisco Bay music scene in the mid-late '60s (e.g. seen a photograph-proving she was a woman).  Sometimes people name their children with a name that might be thought of as belonging only to one sex.  Men have been named Shirley and Beverly.  One would guess that the female name would be "Othella", but some people like to be different.

If THAT singer IS a male, he had serious hormone problems.  That is not a "falsetto" performance.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Larry Laster - Go For Yourself same backing as Larry Atkins "Lighten Up" and Ty Karim's "Lighten Up Baby"

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Larry Atkins "Ain't That Love Enough" (flip to Lighten Up) has same backing as the unissued (I think) "We'll Keep On Rolling"

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

How about ...

September Jones - I'm Coming Home 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6JANFjEo5M

and Billy Sha Rae - Do It 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCtFOiTrH6Y

Obviously they "funkified" the Billy Sha Rae version with extra percussion,guitars and piano but that backing track is a monster and both are dancefloor bombs in my opinion. 

Anyone know which cut came first?

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

The Delegates  Walkin" in my sleep all night  German Fontana 269 357 TF  (mid 60's garage/blue eyed soul rarity) Nice

Same as

Showstoppers Aint nothing but a house party Beacon

Jimmy Gilmer Sugar shack  Dot   =   Dee Clark Thats my girl Constellation

Social source share

The Delegates  Walkin" in my sleep all night  German Fontana 269 357 TF  (mid 60's garage/blue eyed soul rarity) Nice

Same as

Showstoppers Aint nothing but a house party Beacon

Jimmy Gilmer Sugar shack  Dot   =   Dee Clark Thats my girl Constellation

dee clark very similar and styled on jimmy gilmer..but not the actual same backin track

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

dee clark very similar and styled on jimmy gilmer..but not the actual same backin track

Just checked them out on youtube, I aggree, never listened to them back to back and stopped listening to stuff like that ages ago

Garry

Social source share

Not an instant one by any means, but how about Pauline Shivers - Won't you come back home / Silk - Falling in love isn't easy? 

Can't seem to post any you tube clips for now but there must be literally thousands of records if you extend this to artists who "sampled" original recordings for inspiration. That's certainly what led to me getting hooked on Northern and Rare Soul, trying to find out some of the original records used then just marvel at how good they were.

Stating the obvious I know but can't ignore fact that lots of hip hop / R&B (not the old sort!) / modern soul samples 60's / 70's soul and even some quite good recent soul releases such as Big Brooklyn Red sampling Lowrell's "Mellow Mellow Right On" for their recent "Taking it too far" track. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Err they are the same song and the Olympics is produced by Bob Relf, they only really changed one word :g:

John

Social source share

Once more my dear friends, to all who put up You Tube stuff etc !!!

Can't see the links at Work, can you put the titles in as Text to at least give us a chance .

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Social source share

Yes Grant, but what were they!  Tezza and I, as well as Joan and a few others can't see videos at work due to firewall/streaming media restrictions, but we still like to know what's posted!

Please can ANYONE posting video clips, add the title and artist to the post for those amongst us who are 'media challenged'.

Ta very Loads!

:lol:  :thumbup:

Social source share

Yes Grant, but what were they!  Tezza and I, as well as Joan and a few others can't see videos at work due to firewall/streaming media restrictions, but we still like to know what's posted!

Please can ANYONE posting video clips, add the title and artist to the post for those amongst us who are 'media challenged'.

Ta very Loads!

:lol:  :thumbup:

your at work so shuldnt be on here :lol:

it was dannelle daris and briggiite koberley

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I refer my honourable gentleman/lady to my previous statement !!

Now edited. My apologies Tezza :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!