Your First Exposure To The Modern Soul Sound

Guest Nick Harrison

All depends on your definition of "modern soul"

How "old" were the records that were played at The Twisted Wheel ? They were mainly newish releases - ie "modern"

The Torch was playing records that were mainly 5-7 years old yet some people describe a record from 1975 now as still being "modern"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All depends on your definition of "modern soul"

How "old" were the records that were played at The Twisted Wheel ? They were mainly newish releases - ie "modern"

The Torch was playing records that were mainly 5-7 years old yet some people describe a record from 1975 now as still being "modern"

No need to be pedantic about the word 'modern' is there? Surely we all know that Nick was referring to what is generally accepted as the birth of what (rightly or wrongly) is called 'modern soul', ie 70's music. Obviously at any stage in history whatever is current at that time is modern.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Upstairs room at Stoke late nineties early 2000's, Curtis, Maleady,Hinsley to name a few, Pretwich as well

Only time I enjoyed Stoke, couldn't stand that drivel they play downstairs

Well said Dekka

Kev should open upstairs again @ Stoke IMO  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Seized on by the anti-bodies too. The fact is that Sam played it before it got into the charts, when it was a red hot import.....

Yes it's laughable - Steve, when you look back.  Russ "still playing" the Detroit Spinners - Working My Way Back To You Girl,  in April 1980 when it was "still at number one in the UK charts".

Never mind - eh !   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I don't understand the question, so here's my attempt at an answer:

Do I love 70s and early 80s northern soul like Charles Johnson, Jeffrey Osbourne, Atlantic Starr, Jan Jones, Willpower, Alfie Davison, The Montclairs, etc... - YES

Do I like modern soul - NO

Good attempt - Matt. 

It seems very evident from your post that it's the "tag" - modern soul you have an issue with, which is a very very common illness.

It's only a term, its not really that harmful.

Enjoy. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No need to be pedantic about the word 'modern' is there? Surely we all know that Nick was referring to what is generally accepted as the birth of what (rightly or wrongly) is called 'modern soul', ie 70's music. Obviously at any stage in history whatever is current at that time is modern.

Northern Soul is approximately 1963 - 1969/70 ish

& anything post 1970 is Modern Soul !!!!

Glad we have sorted that out then !!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Good attempt - Matt. 

It seems very evident from your post that it's the "tag" - modern soul you have an issue with, which is a very very common illness.

It's only a term, its not really that harmful.

Enjoy. 

I have a problem with the definition of modern soul. To me the stuff played in northern soul main rooms in the 70s and 80s, even as new releases can no longer be categorised as 'modern soul'. Modern soul for me is recent releases, maybe as far back as early Y2K. You know as well as I do that their is a massive difference musically between something like Alfie Davison and a recent release in 2013. Which was the reason for my post.

I don't like 'modern soul' but I do like 70s northern soul. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Clifton Hall early 1980's, Richard Searling playing new releases Tony Fox, J.W. McGee, Doug Parkinson etc, it was my introduction to the rare soul scene, also around 82/83 at Romeo/Juliets Sheffield ,Sunday all dayers, one side (big room ) Jazz funk, smaller room (If memory serves me right ) Sam, Searling and Arthur Fenn all under one roof, not that many attended if truth be known but that was modern soul..Or as i recall 'Newies ' !!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

it hurt my ears and still does :yes:

Its a shame you've zero appreciation of some of the greatest music ever recorded, i actually pity you for such a blinkered outlook, it must be awful, really awful to be denied the capability gene that allows the more open minded to enjoy everything that is great and indeed wonderful in the years that followed the 1960's..Yep pity !!!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Do I love 70s and early 80s northern soul like Charles Johnson, Jeffrey Osbourne, Atlantic Starr, Jan Jones, Willpower, Alfie Davison, The Montclairs, etc... - YES

But Matt ' Modern Soul' is such a throwaway term, in my dealings with the North and Southern soul scenes, i see it meaning so many different things, it has become a catch all word, but in it's essence and relation to what grew out of the Northern Soul scene i see it for what it means to me...

Social source share

Very good question Nick prompting some interesting responses. My route was direct and in short through my good friends the Jackson brother's tapes supplied by Adam Mitchell and Robin Salter in the early 80s. Then Sam and Arthur at Nottingham's Rock City when I actually broke Hull's city limits.

As we've discussed before a lot of great music played in that era.

It seems we have been in a post modern era for a while. There is comparitively little contemporary music that sits comfortably with the heritage which is why I think current 'modern' rooms are unappealing to many who observe them from the periphery (me included). Those involved seem to enjoy it and that's what its all about really.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a problem with the definition of modern soul. To me the stuff played in northern soul main rooms in the 70s and 80s, even as new releases can no longer be categorised as 'modern soul'. Modern soul for me is recent releases, maybe as far back as early Y2K. You know as well as I do that their is a massive difference musically between something like Alfie Davison and a recent release in 2013. Which was the reason for my post.

I don't like 'modern soul' but I do like 70s northern soul. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean Matt, the term was a bad one and unfortunately it was picked up and has been run with for 30+ years. I think it's totally inappropriate as a term. It is just a term though, and whatever you call any music from the 70's up to current releases today, certain people will hate it all if it hasn't got that 60's production sound to it. That's their loss as far as I'm concerned, not that I am concerned in the slightest.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It's all just soul music to me - too many tags put on the music.

Lots of fantastic soul music being released today - why is there a need of a 30 year void before it is appreciated !!

Only it's not though is it, quite a bit of northern soul is not 'soul'.

No need for a 30 year old void before it's appreciated, that's not what I was saying, I appreciated it at the time. But soul 30 years ago and soul produced now sound very different to me and I don't like a lot of the newer stuff.

I suppose I resent the implication that if you like any modern at all, you have to like it all. We should be discerning in our taste. All soul music isn't brilliant... even 60s. :ohmy:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

But Matt ' Modern Soul' is such a throwaway term, in my dealings with the North and Southern soul scenes, i see it meaning so many different things, it has become a catch all word, but in it's essence and relation to what grew out of the Northern Soul scene i see it for what it means to me...

Totally agree Brett, there are as many shades of 'modern' as there are 'northern'. For instance I really like soulful house and i love stuff by The Sunburst Band, but to me that's a million miles from the elevator muzak in modern rooms. :lol:

As for the too many tags, maybe there aren't enough... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In answer to Nick's question (ignoring all the 70s soul in the northern rooms) hearing Atlantic Starr - Circles at Stafford was probably the first time I realised chart soul could be played alongside regular northern, quickly followed by the wonderful Jeffrey Osbourne - Don't You Get So Mad.

and this is what I like now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYShOfbWb4

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

Every individual's exposure will be diifferent. For me it will always be Ian Levine and  Co at Blackpool Mecca - particularly Carstairs "It really hurts me girl" and Keb Debarge at Stafford. Boosted by Togetherness 2000.

Social source share

Here's a better mix of The Sunburst Band for you Matt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l56LBA777M

Also here's quite simply the best record ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGc4asrJnB4

Both uptempo Soulful dance records of the highest degree & both top quality records with 34 years between them but you could also tag them both as Modern Soul.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Every individual's exposure will be diifferent. For me it will always be Ian Levine and  Co at Blackpool Mecca - particularly Carstairs "It really hurts me girl" and Keb Debarge at Stafford. Boosted by Togetherness 2000.

Keb wasn't playing "modern" at Stafford from my recollection. He was over his first love affair with modern at that point and was banging out the 60's newies.

Sorry, if this sounds pedantic - it's not intended to be.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Late 70s Notts Palais. Tunes such as Pages, Velvet Hammer and Dee Edwards (loving you) rammed the floor alongside 60s. We just knew them as 60s or 70s.

Social source share

Cunnie, I've waited a long time to hear the 12" version of King Tutt, imagine my f@ckin' disappointment when I clicked on the link, to be told the video wasn't available to view. What's going on!?

It played ok for me matey. Think I prefer the seven anyway.

Peter

Social source share

Late 70s Notts Palais. Tunes such as Pages, Velvet Hammer and Dee Edwards (loving you) rammed the floor alongside 60s. We just knew them as 60s or 70s.

Nice records Byrney. Always found Dee Edwards a bit tricky to dance to. Just seen a copy of Pages on discogs - feck it's 600 squids! I'm sure i got mine dead cheap - probably from John Anderson. Maybe a tenner.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Both uptempo Soulful dance records of the highest degree & both top quality records with 34 years between them but you could also tag them both as Modern Soul.

Cheers mate, King Tutt classic 70s northern. :thumbup:

Social source share

I'm just starting get into 70's soul, love things like Magic Night, The Street People etc etc

Whats a good CD to buy to listen to on my way to and from work?

Cheers

Hi Jordan 

2 vg cd's to have in your car are On The Real Side & Flying High  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Jordan 

2 vg cd's to have in your car are On The Real Side & Flying High  :thumbsup:

Yep, both good comps. I can also recommend Kebs Soul Spectrum comp - packed with lots of big buck goodies including Tony Fox and Flowers. If you can find one - the cd itself is becoming quite tricky. There are two,  both good - the aforementioned one is the second one.

Peter 

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Yep, both good comps. I can also recommend Kebs Soul Spectrum comp - packed with lots of big buck goodies including Tony Fox and Flowers. If you can find one - the  itself is becoming quite tricky. There are two,  both good - the aforementioned one is the second one.

Peter 

Ay up  Peter

Agree with you on that one it's Spectrum 2 the 1 i got  :huh: never had 1st one m8   :(

cheers Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

I know what yer getting at Matt, could I actually here  any of these tunes played out at anywhere that called a modern soul night? is there such a thang as a modern oldie?

Social source share

sorry m8 but to me the 2nd mix is abismal and eptomises a lot of what I dislike about contemporary soulful dance. its trying so desparatly to sound contemporary  and yet it still sound like its stuck in the late 9ts.  

Social source share

modern soul may be good or bad...........but vibe!! no there is no vibe

You best post ever.  Says absolutely everything I've not been able to.

How anyone that listens to BowsieWowsy can hold such a view is totally beyond me.

....  TODAY'S RESULTS ..........

Modern Soul 10   BowsieWowsy 0    ..... and thats for sound & vibe !!!

60's Soul   9    60's pop (Northern)  0  .... one has guts the other just makes me want to throw up my guts  

70's Soul   9     Wigan Stompers   1    ..... had to give the weaker side one goal as a fraction of it is listenable 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I'm just starting get into 70's soul, love things like Magic Night, The Street People etc etc

Whats a good CD to buy to listen to on my way to and from work?

Cheers

Good morning Jordan,

Here's just a few to look out for as recommended !!

Masterpiece's Of Modern Soul - 1 2 & 3 volumes (Kent Records)

Get Involved - 20 Modern Soul Anthems (EMI/Capital) compiled by R Searling.

Modern Soul Connoisseurs - 20 classics complied by R Searling.

The Wants List - various CD's which contain classic, in demanders and solid rare groovers - available and output by Soul Brother Records, some years ago, some may still be available.

Tim Browns Modern Soul Millionaires /Goldmine Soul supply label.

2 x or is it 3 volumes of Village Soul - compiled by DJ Terry Jones out on expansion.

2 x volumes of Modern Soul sounds of the grapevine, compiled by J Anderson and Garry Cape.

Hope you get some miles out of those few for now.

:)

Social source share

The term 'modern soul' is only meaningful within the context of northern soul: that it is not your classic on the fours stomper. A slightly different, shuffly sort of dance, developed to a different but still pretty fast rhythm. The search for rare and exclusive plays leads us to the indie soul boom mentioned on this thread of the early eighties: synth based tunes some of which sound great even now and some not so much. Nothing dates a tune like technology. So then you get rare groove [different things to different people], mixed with new releases, and by the latish eighties 'crossover' a sort of back to the future love affair with  overlooked seventies [and non northern sixties] So, as I ramble away and decide I need a second cup of coffee, and finish by suggesting the term 'modern soul' only means something to northern fans....the rest of the soul world wouldn't know what to make of it.

dean

• Helpful 3
Social source share

heres my piss poor take on it....i term the 70`s 80`s clifton hall type stuff as 70`s northern these days and anything from 1990 onward as `modern soul`........i love 70`s northern and quite a bit of modern,,,,,,not too fussed over housey garage tho and believe ,me i`ve tried

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its a shame you've zero appreciation of some of the greatest music ever recorded, i actually pity you for such a blinkered outlook, it must be awful, really awful to be denied the capability gene that allows the more open minded to enjoy everything that is great and indeed wonderful in the years that followed the 1960's..Yep pity !!!

Oh shut up you self righteous bore.

You sum up just about everything that's currently wrong with this site and why people are deserting it.

The snobbishness is just unbelievable.  Some people don't like the same music, it doesn't make them inferior to you.

Greatest music ever recorded?  To some of us that statement is just risible.  Get over it and yourself.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

You sum up just about everything that's currently wrong with this site and why people are deserting it.

The snobbishness is just unbelievable.   :lol:   :lol:

Really - snobs, 

we are still viewed as those common types even for buying long playing extended singles, albums and even CD's.

:)

Social source share

If a person only likes sixties soul then I defend their right to do so untill the prize my blood soaked weapon from my dieing grasp. On the other hand the idea that quality black american music stopped being made on Jan. 1st 1970 is preposturus.

dean

Social source share

If a person only likes sixties soul then I defend their right to do so untill the prize my blood soaked weapon from my dieing grasp. On the other hand the idea that quality black american music stopped being made on Jan. 1st 1970 is preposturus.

dean

It is, I agree. I just put out a list this morning of 60 or 70 quality 70's dancers, half of which I'd be happy to have in my own collection.  

Social source share

heres my piss poor take on it....i term the 70`s 80`s clifton hall type stuff as 70`s northern these days and anything from 1990 onward as `modern soul`........i love 70`s northern and quite a bit of modern,,,,,,not too fussed over housey garage tho and believe ,me i`ve tried

But i was going to modern soul events a lot earlier than 1990,sort of see what your saying though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!