Buddy Smith When You Lose The One You Love

Drew3

BUDDY%20SMITH%20%20WHEN%20YOU%20LOSE%20T

Been browsing Youtube and came across this fantastic 'new to me' tune.

As can be seen from the label it says it was produced by Tony Clarke. Is this the Landslide Tony Clarke?

Awesome tune. Where was this first played out and is this a rare record?

Any info please.

Kind regards.

Drew.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Also big spin for Gilly back in late 80's also

Must admit Chalky, I don't actually remember Keb playing this, must have been in the bog at the time

I'll check me notes, I thought I had this on a tape with Keb but I will check when time allows.  Definitely had spins at Stafford.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Definate Stafford, but also enjoyed a lot of plays at the Dome, not sure who must have been a resident though.

Love dancing to it, although some might think it a tad slow it has just the right beat to keep you going.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

BUDDY%20SMITH%20%20WHEN%20YOU%20LOSE%20T

Been browsing Youtube and came across this fantastic 'new to me' tune.

As can be seen from the label it says it was produced by Tony Clarke. Is this the Landslide Tony Clarke?

Awesome tune. Where was this first played out and is this a rare record?

Any info please.

Kind regards.

Drew.

thats scans' one of Pat Brady's, falls off towards the right..

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I'm sure it was Keb who played this absolute weapon of a record. Beautiful.

As Chalky says, this was on a Keb Tape too along with Pat Lewis, Ravin Mads etc

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I remember when it was on an old Bob Foster list for £1.50.  It was only VG+ so I did not buy it!!!!

Great record, but at that time I thought it was to slow to be considered Northern Soul! How times have changed!

Social source share

here he is...from his myspace site

attachicon.gifp.jpg

I had the full photo at one time but can't find it, sure there was 4 in it, Joey Kingfish, Buddy and a couple of others.

Here's one from Kev Spittle....

attachicon.gif207701_10200396763466746_1907303514_n.jpg

Got these photos from Buddy a few years ago for an article I did on him for Manifesto. He told me the group shot  was of the Tokays.

Edited by Rob Moss
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

lovely soul record.....so pete s won,t like it then lol.....not keen on the tokays though

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

For his first wedding I think we should point out, and what a day that was,   :D I think Keb had played it on loan before that. 

Another Gilly tip.....

It was known (and Tokays) back in the Torch days obvs toooo slow but had a couple of fans as both were spotted in mags, Hot Buttered Soul ?, the same mag had wants for Brown Bombers on Amazing!.

Social source share

Me neither. You can get it on b-side of that Joey Kingfish on Connoisseurs. You can then play it and not feel a complete fraud.

Sounds like it was recorded underwater. I remember Rick Cooper's car tapeplayer. Every record sounded like it was recorded by Jacques Cousteau.

ROD

This is one of my all time favourite records - and I don't have a copy  :(

Richard

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Didn't like the Tokays for years. The it just grew on me.

Cheers

Richard

On second thoughts you're right.....sounds good now....yep a winner
Social source share

Hi all,

I'm sorry to be contrary but actually Keb had Buddy Smith and gave it to Gilly as a present as he thought it was a Gillyesque disc.

Regards

Ion

Ion , you might have me there, your grey matter still in good working order, I'll ask Gilly to confirm of course, either way at worst I'm 50% right  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ion , you might have me there, your grey matter still in good working order, I'll ask Gilly to confirm of course, either way at worst I'm 50% right  :thumbsup:

Yeah, you're half right in the same way as a person can be half pregnant...

Completely good to hear from you pal.

Regards

Ion

Social source share

On second thoughts you're right.....sounds good now....yep a winner

Phew ,for a moment I thought an imposter had taken over your username !

Tokays poor and buddy smith a great soul record ?

Your just messing with our minds :)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Phew ,for a moment I thought an imposter had taken over your username !

Tokays poor and buddy smith a great soul record ?

Your just messing with our minds :)

get out ya front room ......theres a whole world out there
Social source share

get out ya front room ......theres a whole world out there

Ah ,still the same Gordon Russell :)

The 6th sense is eerie though !

P.s

Looking after the Missus who is resting after a biopsy on Thursday so apologies for not being out on the front line :(

Social source share

Hi all,

I'm sorry to be contrary but actually Keb had Buddy Smith and gave it to Gilly as a present as he thought it was a Gillyesque disc.

Regards

Ion Ion you are right,Keb gave it to me as a birthday gift early 80ts,used it in my limited djing  stints,Bretby,Congleton,Derby, Scotland,Notts,N Wales,100 club etc as the main user of this disc helped it become more well known.Later in 85 myself Guy and C King found one in a record store in Detroit.One sold on that guy who used to have a tartan scarf on all the time sales list for a fiver

Social source share

I think there is a lesson here for any aspiring young DJs out there. Your first instinct may be to acquire Gillyesque discs and jealously hold on to them. However, lets look at the facts... Keb Darge was then living life in one of the worst tower blocks in London's Murder Mile eeking out a living as an underpaid soul hero and fulltime meat salesman. He went against his baser instincts, gave the record to Gilly and lets look at the results. He is now a household name across the clubbing world, lives in a tropical paradise and is married to a lovely girl who is half his age. There has been an undeniable cause and effect. I would like to suggest that rather than reactivating underplayed records young DJs reinstate the 80s DJ tradition of giving Gilly great records as he would undoubtedly have a far higher level of appreciation for their finer qualities.

Who will be the first?Yes Ion Keb was a very kind person,as little he had he would still share his last penny,they say jocks are tight  bullshit    of all the Scotts boys ive known and befriended over the years Colin,Jock,Gorden,Jim t,the Wells,Jim Ohara,Kieth and all the Dundee lot.All great people.Mind you Keb did come round for a bath often.I remember Tomos policy used to be "why sell a record when you can give it your mate"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think [ but don't beat me up ], this was one of Nige Shaw's big BIG faves, and that's why I always associate it with him

Didn't originally buzz off the record really, but grew to love it big time from his infectious enthusiasm - is that just me or has anyone else experienced the same

[ any would be pedants - I don't just mean Buddy Smith here, I mean the general theme of being  ' infected ' by someone' s enthusiasm ! ]

but really, Nige Brown.....need you to confirm I've not this got arse about elbow ???

pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!